TLX test mule with widened rear axle, and fender flares spotted

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by high-cam
First post
Cautiously optimistic as to where Acura will go over the next couple of years. I think it's all but a given we'll see the combination of a turbo v6 with esh-awd. I think the torque fill, torque vectoring, and increased fuel economy with the electric motors actually make more sense here than in the NSX. 400+ HP, 30 mpg, at 55k would be amazing imo and doable. If they go the Audi route with a longitudinal engine arrangement, I think they may have something special on their hands. But if they go the RDX route and essentially just beef up a CRV... well.

Should be fun.
Welcome to AZ!

Positive things have been happening at Acura since Jon Ikeda took over. I'm curious what will happen as well. They need to bring back true driver's cars IMO. They don't have to br BMW-beaters, if that's what I was after, I'd go buy one and have the real thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (03-11-2018), BEAR-AvHistory (03-11-2018), TacoBello (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
What Acura should really focus on, especially with the TLX and its upcoming successor , is quality control. The brand-new 2018 TLX AWD that I took out for a test drive a couple of weeks was plagued with vibrations on the highway... Not only this is very disappointing and not acceptable for an Acura, but for any car brand.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Welcome to AZ!

Positive things have been happening at Acura since Jon Ikeda took over. I'm curious what will happen as well. They need to bring back true driver's cars IMO. They don't have to br BMW-beaters, if that's what I was after, I'd go buy one and have the real thing.
Thanks!, it's cool to be here.
I agree, I want to see a drivers car for the 2020s. They don't have to be the fastest but they need to hit on the little things; visibility, low hip point, comfortable seats, clear gauges, steering feel, blah blah blah. They mix that in with progressive tech and they'll be good. I don't need a manual tho, just a DCT *grabs flamesuit*
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Let’s take the high road and be more respectful, particularly as Bear likely put a lot of time and effort into his car.
Obviously his feelings were very hurt, I think he leaves it in the garage now because of the shame.

Hey now, I put a lot of effort into my car too! And by effort, I mean about how hard it is pushing down the gas pedal (I don't have a Sprint Booster, so I have to push it further!) on my 2018 TLX as it doesn't seem to work as well as I expected, I push it down hard, and the car is like: meh, we'll get there eventually, what's the rush?

Is there a red button somewhere I haven't found yet? Did the dealer leave my car in "training" mode? I'm still hoping to find the "Performance" they talked about when I walked into the dealership, they didn't tell me it was sold separately or something?

/S

But seriously - for me, what's missing most is not being able to customize "Sport+" mode to adjust the throttle mapping, transmission programming, braking aggressiveness, and suspension stiffness to my own liking. That's all that's really missing from the TLX, from my perspective.

(OK OK, yes, I'll admit, what's really missing, is the future V6 Turbo TLX, so that Acura doesn't have to slink around in shame because their claims of "Precision Crafted Performance" in their marketing was all a bunch of bullshit - make us proud Acura, you can do it!)

Last edited by Christopher.; 03-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Obviously his feelings were very hurt, I think he leaves it in the garage now because of the shame.

Hey now, I put a lot of effort into my car too! And by effort, I mean about how hard it is pushing down the gas pedal (I don't have a Sprint Booster, so I have to push it further!) on my 2018 TLX as it doesn't seem to work as well as I expected, I push it down hard, and the car is like: meh, we'll get there eventually, what's the rush?

Is there a red button somewhere I haven't found yet? Did the dealer leave my car in "training" mode? I'm still hoping to find the "Performance" they talked about when I walked into the dealership, they didn't tell me it was sold separately or something?

/S

But seriously - for me, what's missing most is not being able to customize "Sport+" mode to adjust the throttle mapping, transmission programming, braking aggressiveness, and suspension stiffness to my own liking. That's all that's really missing from the TLX, from my perspective.

(OK OK, yes, I'll admit, what's really missing, is the future V6 Turbo TLX, so that Acura doesn't have to slink around in shame because their claims of "Precision Crafted Performance" in their marketing was all a bunch of bullshit - make us proud Acura, you can do it!)
maybe you should have researched and test drove the TLX more before you bought it.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by steve_97060
maybe you should have researched and test drove the TLX more before you bought it.
It is the best car I could afford new and I thought I needed to buy a new car for a car plan (it turns out I'm paying for this TLX out of my own pocket instead, car plan fell through) - they weren't offering nearly the same discounts on BMW M2, which would be my 2nd choice. Third choice would be Honda Accord 2.0T - but, I wanted a very smooth, quiet, and more pleasing car [than the Accord], just this once at least. Nothing's perfect (if there was a perfect, no comprimise choice), or else I'd have paid $20,000 and gotten an Audi RS7 (if there was such a thing as a perfect, no compromise choice) - each choice would have been a compromise regardless.

Pretty much the only way in which my TLX is not absolutely fantastic, for 90% of my use of it, is that it only gets ~17 MPG under stop-and-go local city traffic at an average speed of about 17 MPH. A hybrid would blow that mileage away. For ~10% of my driving, where I'm basically driving for just the pleasure of it, yes, the TLX leaves something to be desired but, as my single car "daily driver" I don't regret the choice of comprises I went with. When my kids get older and get their own cars, well, then maybe I'll pickup a used Accord 2.0T, upgrade it to "racing suspension" and tune the engine to 450HP at the wheels, essentially for free (just software).

Last edited by Christopher.; 03-14-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll pickup a used Accord 2.0T, upgrade it to "racing suspension" and tune the engine to 450HP at the wheels, essentially for free (just software).
wow, you have a lot to learn
The following 3 users liked this post by NBPaspec:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-15-2018), pyrodan007 (03-16-2018), ZipSpeed (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Hope he is just kidding. Have 5 liter 4 cam 32 valve V8 built by FORD Racing & with tune 477 horsepower at the wheels. Not sure what my wheel power to crank power factor is but a conservative 10% works out to about 525 horsepower at the Crank.
Well, I looked up the Hondata tune article and it actually only adds about 20HP and 85LB/FT of torque over stock for the "stage 2" tune - that's still puts it significantly higher than the Civic Type R though.

I think I would be pretty satisfied with 377 pound-feet @3,000 RPM
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Well, I looked up the Hondata tune article and it actually only adds about 20HP and 85LB/FT of torque over stock for the "stage 2" tune - that's still puts it significantly higher than the Civic Type R though.

I think I would be pretty satisfied with 377 pound-feet @3,000 RPM
Not through the front wheels. At least I wouldn’t be.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Cleanup on aisle 3....
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by svtmike

Well, I do prefer RWD for fun, but, I haven't tried the Type R, and I don't know how good my Bridgestone Potenza (stock) tires are on my TLX so I don't know if some proper summer sport tires might - hmm, well, sadly, nothing could quite make up for the ability to purposefully spin the rear end of your car around by applying excess throttle on purpose.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike

So, that thread about better brakes .... :P
Old 03-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
So, that thread about better brakes .... :P
I looked at my rotors on the 440 & they are 370mm, 14.6"
Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is the best car I could afford new and I thought I needed to buy a new car for a car plan (it turns out I'm paying for this TLX out of my own pocket instead, car plan fell through) - they weren't offering nearly the same discounts on BMW M2, which would be my 2nd choice. Third choice would be Honda Accord 2.0T - but, I wanted a very smooth, quiet, and more pleasing car [than the Accord], just this once at least. Pretty much the only way in which my TLX is not absolutely fantastic, for 90% of my use of it, is that it only gets ~17 MPG under stop-and-go local city traffic at an average speed of about 17 MPH. A hybrid would blow that mileage away. For ~10% of my driving, where I'm basically driving for just the pleasure of it, yes, the TLX leaves something to be desired but, as my single car "daily driver" I don't regret the choice of comprises I went with.
tell me what your OTD sales price was and i'll tell you what else you could have gotten for about the same
Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bo_Darville
tell me what your OTD sales price was and i'll tell you what else you could have gotten for about the same
I don't have the paper in front of me, but let's say under $38K OTD with all the taxes, fees, etc.

I was planning to go onto the company car plan, pays up to $500/month for a Honda or Acura until it is 5 years old. Well that fell through some time after I bought the car.

I would have loved to have gotten a light European or Asian RWD car with sporty suspension and a 4 cylinder turbo, could have been a couple years old I guess? 1.5L would be out of the question and I'd prefer to have a minimum 2.0T, 3.0T V6 if I could afford it. The Stinger seems a little heavier than I'd like, not quite as "sporty" suspension as I'd like. AWD would be an option, if RWD was harder to fill.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have the paper in front of me, but let's say under $38K OTD with all the taxes, fees, etc..
i'm guessing by that number and your previous statements that you have a non-A-spec fwd v6, possibly w/o the tech pkg

for that $$$ or less, you would have had to sacrifice some interior quality and/or interior space (or in some cases reliability reputation) in exchange for greater driving enjoyment. some vehicles that come to mind include the fusion sport, A3 quattro, GTI, WRX, giulia, & ATS. unless you go outside your vehicle class (i.e. mustang or camaro, miata, etc.) i don't think i am leaving out any competing vehicles sold as new that would be more fun to drive.

EDIT: i stand corrected - you could have got a Q50 3.0t or a 330i in today's market in this price range. you effed up ese!

Last edited by Bo_Darville; 03-19-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts

Bizarre, Turquoise Acura TLX Test Mule Spied On The Road

https://www.motor1.com/news/244434/acura-tlx-mule-spy-shots/

Old 06-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I just dont understand the purpose of the fake widened fender
Maybe because the next gen TLX will be wider and maybe it is a Hybrid and the rear end on the hybrid maybe needs to be bigger? An RLX currently is 1/4 inches wider than a TLX and if they dump the RLX maybe we will see a Type-S and a Sport Hybrid next gen TLX?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Acura PR representative Zach Vlasuk told Motor1.com in January that the Type-S models would be more akin to a mildly sporty Mercedes C43 than a C63 or BMW M3.
Pussies.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 AM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Pussies.
Baby steps! Let’s get a Type-S first before we start asking for a Type-R.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Isn't Type-R a Honda thing and Type-S is the Acura name for the sports line of cars?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Isn't Type-R a Honda thing and Type-S is the Acura name for the sports line of cars?
It's not so much a Honda vs Acura thing. Type R are usually limited production models with Racing like modifications (lighter weight, more power, limited slip diffs, fewer luxury features for example). Type S is a more sportier version of base models (larger rims, brakes, added power but retaining all of the luxury features). Type R is more hardcore. I think the only Acura Type R has been the Integra in the US, but it's Honda counterpart models have Type R versions in other countries (RSX and NSX for example).
Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I was told by two dealers that the TLX S type will come next summer for a 2020 model. But there will be very little in the way of cosmetic changes. I would think if they are releasing a Type S, at the very least the head unit would be updated to the new unit in the RDX along with some cool cosmetic updates sprucing up the current Aspec model.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
It's not so much a Honda vs Acura thing. Type R are usually limited production models with Racing like modifications (lighter weight, more power, limited slip diffs, fewer luxury features for example). Type S is a more sportier version of base models (larger rims, brakes, added power but retaining all of the luxury features). Type R is more hardcore. I think the only Acura Type R has been the Integra in the US, but it's Honda counterpart models have Type R versions in other countries (RSX and NSX for example).
Acura has a type S and Type R as well as Honda. The last type R I remember in Acura was the Acura Integra here in the states. Maybe an NSX too but I can’t remember.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:09 PM
There are four lights!

Rumour has it Acura is working on Type-R-ing the current NSX.

https://www.motor1.com/news/241987/acura-nsx-type-r/
Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I was told by two dealers that the TLX S type will come next summer for a 2020 model. But there will be very little in the way of cosmetic changes. I would think if they are releasing a Type S, at the very least the head unit would be updated to the new unit in the RDX along with some cool cosmetic updates sprucing up the current Aspec model.
that seems really odd unless they plan on delaying the next model change. I would expect the new TLX next summer.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:24 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by KeithL

that seems really odd unless they plan on delaying the next model change. I would expect the new TLX next summer.
Perhaps they want to beta test the new engine on an older platform before rolling it out onto new models? Or maybe they're constrained engineering wise so it would be easier to plop the new engine into the existing platform than design everything ground up? Keep in mind Acura probably wants to launch a new gen MDX sooner than later as they sell way more of those than the TLX, so I can see more engineering resources put into the MDX.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Maybe next year's Type S will consist of slapping the new turbo V6 in the current platform and some brake upgrades. This will get some buzz which will take them until the next model change, which I suspect will be based on the new Accord platform. ?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Could be they’re doing an Audi with the redesign. Simply smooth out the lines of the current model. Do a new rear end and front treatment. Drop in the precision cockpit and call it a day. Speculation on TOV is that length of the vehicle has grown about 2-3 inches to accommodate the turbo 6. I’m doubtful that this is simply the 2019 modified for the S version. The cost of doing that wouldn’t seem to justify the benefits. My bet is we’ll see the FMC this time next year. With there appearing to be a new cockpit on this mule odds are this is pretty close to the production version.

Last edited by Honda430; 06-12-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Honda430
Could be they’re doing an Audi with the redesign. Simply smooth out the lines of the current model. Do a new rear end and front treatment. Drop in the precision cockpit and call it a day. Speculation on TOV is that length of the vehicle has grown about 2-3 inches to accommodate the turbo 6. I’m doubtful that this is simply the 2019 modified for the S version. The cost of doing that wouldn’t seem to justify the benefits. My bet is we’ll see the FMC this time next year. With there appearing to be a new cockpit on this mule odds are this is pretty close to the production version.
I tend to agree this could be the direction they are going. Nothing too dramatic, but enough to make it new and interesting.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Maybe next year's Type S will consist of slapping the new turbo V6 in the current platform and some brake upgrades. This will get some buzz which will take them until the next model change, which I suspect will be based on the new Accord platform. ?
The new Accord platform cannot fit a V6 engine.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
From the pictures this looks like a chopped up first gen TLX. This would almost body wise be like a mid cycle update with changes basically from the doors forward. Typically after a model run they do more significant redesign so this would be a bit disappointing . If this is the "type S" prototype it looks like it still had the smaller TLX calipers on it. Hopefully there is more major design changes although it does look like they got rid of the jewel headlights which IMO is an improvement. Also why does about every other car brand out there run with just the LED parking lamps during the daytime but Acura has no option to shut off the headlights? Never thought the jewel lights looked that great on the TLX and they look even worse now on the civic.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
The new Accord platform cannot fit a V6 engine.
in all likelihood it’ll be adapted accordingly.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
^ Bah ha ha!
Old 06-16-2018, 05:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation Rumor from TOV

https://vtec.net/forums/one-message?...mber=1#1359426

I spoke to Jeff earlier this week about a graph that I received. Unfortunately, neither one of us can post that graph but my source really came through today via a phone conversation, a first for us.

The Precision modular platform architecture that’s under the all new RDX will be exclusive to the crossovers which means the next MDX will get a variation of that platform as will any other crossovers that may surface. My source also confirmed the RDX Type-S will get the 3.0t/SH-AWD combo with the usual Type-S upgrades.

The best part is the next sedans/coupes(?) will get an all new, entirely different platform with a return to the double wishbone front suspension setup. The next generation TLX will be the first to use this platform and have a 272hp 2.0t/10AT as a base along with optional SH-AWD. So for the first time, we can now get SH-AWD with the base engine in a TL/TLX segment of car!

The next gen TLX Type-S will get the all new turbo 6 (no relation to the J-Series) with standard SH-AWD but final specs in regards to power aren’t finalized as of yet as the car is still in the development stages. My source confirmed that the TLX mule I posted was definitely the next generation TLX using current TLX body panels. Outside of the base 2.0t TLX and the Type-S, there will be a hybrid version (FWD) with the 2.0t and some type of 10 speed transmission but it won’t be the same 10 speed that we’ve seen in the RDX, RLX and Accord 2.0t.

My source also said that Honda is letting Acura become more of its own entity vs the Honda+ that’s we’ve seen for decades now.

The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
a35tl (06-16-2018), neuronbob (06-17-2018), TacoBello (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:11 AM
not superchaged

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I would love to see an Acura coupe instead of the slow selling RLX. The only coupe Acura offers right now is the $150,000 NSX. Acura should benefit from having a coupe to compete with the likes of the 4 series, C class coupe, A5 and Q60. A $60,000 sedan like the RLX doesn’t seem to sell so hot these days.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSX69

I spoke to Jeff earlier this week about a graph that I received. Unfortunately, neither one of us can post that graph but my source really came through today via a phone conversation, a first for us.

The Precision modular platform architecture that’s under the all new RDX will be exclusive to the crossovers which means the next MDX will get a variation of that platform as will any other crossovers that may surface. My source also confirmed the RDX Type-S will get the 3.0t/SH-AWD combo with the usual Type-S upgrades.

The best part is the next sedans/coupes(?) will get an all new, entirely different platform with a return to the double wishbone front suspension setup. The next generation TLX will be the first to use this platform and have a 272hp 2.0t/10AT as a base along with optional SH-AWD. So for the first time, we can now get SH-AWD with the base engine in a TL/TLX segment of car!

The next gen TLX Type-S will get the all new turbo 6 (no relation to the J-Series) with standard SH-AWD but final specs in regards to power aren’t finalized as of yet as the car is still in the development stages. My source confirmed that the TLX mule I posted was definitely the next generation TLX using current TLX body panels. Outside of the base 2.0t TLX and the Type-S, there will be a hybrid version (FWD) with the 2.0t and some type of 10 speed transmission but it won’t be the same 10 speed that we’ve seen in the RDX, RLX and Accord 2.0t.

My source also said that Honda is letting Acura become more of its own entity vs the Honda+ that’s we’ve seen for decades now.

Any dates for releases??
This all sounds very promising
Old 06-16-2018, 11:35 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd like to see a version of the 2.0T/6MT combo similar to the Accord Sport. Basically a Tech version with some of the A-Spec goodies.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish we knew a date I am hearing all sorts of crap from dealers like the Type-S will not be in year 1. I may pull the trigger on a Modern Steel / Red leather ASPEC AWD this week, but was also looking at a RLW Hybrid. If I knew a Type-S were 1 year out I would do the TLX since I won;t take such a killing getting out of it in 18 months, but if the Type-S is 2 years away then I might do the RLX. Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

suck on them apples, non RDX-S believers!!!

Quick Reply: TLX test mule with widened rear axle, and fender flares spotted