TLX A-Spec Owners: Your 3 Favourite Things

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Picked my Aspec up today

three favorite things (so far)

1) really like the red lighting inside at night. Not gaudy - reminds me of Tron. Which they were programmable though so you could have any color. It red is nice.
2) this isn't an Aspec thing but the multi-level instrument panel (two depths) looked really sharp at night. I didn't notice it during the day but at night the effect is stunning.
3) the seats are really comfy - though I'm having to dial in the settings I've almost got it perfect

now three things I don't care for:

1) engine cutoff is annoying. There is a little shudder when it turns back on so I notice it. I know you can disable it but then you get a yellow caution light
2) the hud for the brake warning reflects in he windshield and is close to being in my line of sight.
3) I can't quite get the walk up lock and unlock to work properly. Half the time I go to grab the door and it doesn't open. Usually when I've closed the trunk and then go to open a door.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by EosPhotog
Picked my Aspec up today

3) I can't quite get the walk up lock and unlock to work properly. Half the time I go to grab the door and it doesn't open. Usually when I've closed the trunk and then go to open a door.
Congrats on the new car!

Is your phone in your pocket? Sometimes having my phone in my right pocket seems to affect the ability of the FOB to talk to the car to let it know I'm close by. Some sort of interference methinks.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'll have to see whether this is a quirk. I have had no issue with the door handles, but usually the trunk is closed when I try to open a door. I'll give it a shot and update this post.

**Update**
I tried opening the door with the trunk open, then opening the door immediately after closing the trunk. No problems either way. Every time I've reached behind the door handle since I leased the car, the door has unlocked. You may want to take the Professor's advice above--in my case, my phone is always in the opposite pocket from my keys.

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-04-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Picked my Aspec up today

three favorite things (so far)

1) really like the red lighting inside at night. Not gaudy - reminds me of Tron. Which they were programmable though so you could have any color. It red is nice.
2) this isn't an Aspec thing but the multi-level instrument panel (two depths) looked really sharp at night. I didn't notice it during the day but at night the effect is stunning.
3) the seats are really comfy - though I'm having to dial in the settings I've almost got it perfect

now three things I don't care for:

1) engine cutoff is annoying. There is a little shudder when it turns back on so I notice it. I know you can disable it but then you get a yellow caution light
2) the hud for the brake warning reflects in he windshield and is close to being in my line of sight.
Congratulations on getting your new car!! Just as a reminder, there is no walk up unlock for the car. Only walk away auto lock. To unlock the car, you still need to put your hand behind the door handle for a brief moment to unlock it before pulling on the handle. I hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Advanced

It was user error. I was pressing the button to open. That actually locks the door, which was messing things up. The simple "rest hand behind the handle" works as intended.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Ive noticed that if you try the tuch to unlock, is you have the key fob too close or a phone, it doesn always work.

Does anyone have any dislikes?
1. I wish the steering wheel was "thicker" all the way around and maybe alcantara also.
2. Still dont like how you cant change screen colours like the 15-17.
3, And this isnt Acura TLX specific, but 12 XM presets isnt enough when there are 200+ channels.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced

And why - after 10+ years - can we not assign a name to "Driver 1"?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

This is slowly morphing into a wishlist for the full on 2nd gen TLX.

So on that note:

- panoramic sunroof
- all LED tail lights
- bigger shift paddles
Old 07-05-2017, 11:15 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
This is slowly morphing into a wishlist for the full on 2nd gen TLX.

So on that note:

- panoramic sunroof
- all LED tail lights
- bigger shift paddles
Good ideas above. This should be a thread in itself. Maybe Acura would see it (being optimistic). I'd add:

- 6mt Type S with Advance trim
- Update the Navi graphics
- 300hp minimum spec (4cyl or V6), 350-400hp (Type S)
- Adjustable dampers
- Bigger brakes
- Turn off Auto Start/Stop permanently as an option

I'm sure the wishlist could go on and on. . .

Last edited by Speed_Racer; 07-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speed_Racer:
FLYGUY31 (07-05-2017), MarcoTLX (06-15-2022)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Good ideas above. This should be a thread in itself. Maybe Acura would see it (being optimistic). I'd add:

- 6mt Type S with Advance trim
- Update the Navi graphics
- 300hp minimum spec (4cyl or V6), 350-400hp (Type S)
- Adjustable dampers
- Bigger brakes
- Turn off Auto Start/Stop permanently as an option

I'm sure the wishlist could go on and on. . .
One thing I've been thinking about is if Acura is serious about safety, why not be the first automaker to include built in dash cams (front and rear) on every car it makes.

I mean, they've already named the whole thing "Acura Watch".

You just know the Korean companies will do it eventually.
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
One thing I've been thinking about is if Acura is serious about safety, why not be the first automaker to include built in dash cams (front and rear) on every car it makes.

I mean, they've already named the whole thing "Acura Watch".

You just know the Korean companies will do it eventually.
Quoted for truth. In this age of cameras everywhere, I'm surprised there are so few auto manufacturers offering built-in video recording. Would definitely save the hassle of running your own wires and everything would be integrated neatly into the OS.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Quoted for truth. In this age of cameras everywhere, I'm surprised there are so few auto manufacturers offering built-in video recording. Would definitely save the hassle of running your own wires and everything would be integrated neatly into the OS.
I would introduce it on the Acura lineup first, and then it would trickle down to all Honda models eventually. It wouldn't be difficult to integrate the front facing camera directly into the rear view mirror assembly, and the rear facing camera into the third brake light assembly. Image files can be sent directly to the USB port allowing you to plug in a flash drive or, if you prefer, have it transferred directly into your smartphone?

Parents who lend their car to their teenage kids could even log in to see exactly where their kids are going!! *evil grin*
Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Funny you guys mention dash cams. I just added a Roav C1 camera to my TLX. At $67 on sale, I couldn't beat the price, and since it comes with two mounting pads, I switch it between it and my CTS-V wagon.

They should be standard issue, honestly, simply as a fraud prevention measure. Acura could be first!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Going on three days and I love love love this car. The cons I listed are not an issue any more. I've learned how to control engine idle with brake pressure and I've stopped noticing the reflection in the windshield. My current favorite things (not all Aspec specific)

1) AWD with the Aspec suspension and tires. So grippy and lots of fun on corners. Kids love it
2) vented seats in the Summer heat
3) CarPlay works really well. Using the scroll wheel is fast and effective
MarcoTLX (06-15-2022)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Going on three days and I love love love this car. The cons I listed are not an issue any more. I've learned how to control engine idle with brake pressure and I've stopped noticing the reflection in the windshield. My current favorite things (not all Aspec specific)

1) AWD with the Aspec suspension and tires. So grippy and lots of fun on corners. Kids love it
2) vented seats in the Summer heat
3) CarPlay works really well. Using the scroll wheel is fast and effective
Couldnt agree more, this car continues to impress. I now have 1,000 km on mine. Time to go WOT!!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by rwg105
Has any '18 owners noticed the dreaded vibration between 70-85 mph?
Apologies for the backtrack but, I've not noticed this in my '16. (Thankfully)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I have wanted ventilated sets for over a decade. FINALLY !
Anyone else notice how fast XM, Pandora, podcasts, Bluetooth in general turn on? My last 2 cars had at least a 15 second delay before playing any of these.

Where do you all put your spare change? Driver door handle?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Terdbath
Anyone else notice how fast XM, Pandora, podcasts, Bluetooth in general turn on? My last 2 cars had at least a 15 second delay before playing any of these.
It takes about 5 seconds for the Entertainment system to come up, and everything seems to be available immediately though I've only used bluetooth and Carplay but no severe lags at all.

I just bought a car. I have no spare change!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Terdbath
My pocket. Seriously. Else it would go on the charging pad, which I don't use, being an iPhone user.

LOL at wanting ventilated seats! I've had those in every daily driver I've had since my first CTS-V eight years ago. Yes, I'm spoiled.

I agree that the infotainment system works pretty fast. It is faster, better, stronger than in my 2014 RLX SH.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I use a small tubberware bowl for spare change lol.

Love the ventilated seats too.

Panoramic roof Ive had in two previous cars and its a feature I could live without. Too hot in the summer and the glass creaks int he cold winters. Both cars had issues with roofs too. The Mini Cooper for example was replaced twice. It leaked, didnt open close properly and was very noisy. Actually that whole car was a POS lol.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eosphotog
i just bought a car. I have no spare change!
rofl!!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's interesting that no one really mentioned the ELS audio system. I'm the first one to agree that the system they put in the TLX could probably use more bass, but then not every song is about heavy bass. I was listening to Mark Knopfler's "Irish Love" and it sounds amazing on the ELS system, especially if you turn it up LOUD. I usually play this song as part of my routine for testing a new car's audio system during a test drive, but had omitted to do that before getting the A-Spec. It hasn't disappointed me so far.

A few other great songs for ascertaining audio quality, in my opinion anyway, are:

Maja - Cantoma (Buddha Bar X)
Me and You - Nero
Wave Hello - Charlotte Church
Need To Feel Loved - Reflekt
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Funny - I got around to cranking up the music tonight and am really impressed by the audio. Bass is fine for me, and everything was nice and clear. Also no rattles!

I also messed with DTS neural and didn't really like the result. It muddied the music.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Funny - I got around to cranking up the music tonight and am really impressed by the audio. Bass is fine for me, and everything was nice and clear. Also no rattles!

I also messed with DTS neural and didn't really like the result. It muddied the music.
I didn't realize the DTS Neural was switched on in my car. Turned it off, and the stereo sounds even better now.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I finally did the same in my car last week. Sounds much better!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 AM

It's interesting that no one really mentioned the ELS audio system. I'm the first one to agree that the system they put in the TLX could probably use more bass, but then not every song is about heavy bass. I was listening to Mark Knopfler's "Irish Love" and it sounds amazing on the ELS system, especially if you turn it up LOUD. I usually play this song as part of my routine for testing a new car's audio system during a test drive, but had omitted to do that before getting the A-Spec. It hasn't disappointed me so far.

A few other great songs for ascertaining audio quality, in my opinion anyway, are:

Maja - Cantoma (Buddha Bar X)
Me and You - Nero
Wave Hello - Charlotte Church
Need To Feel Loved - Reflekt
I've always loved the ELS system in my vintage 15 TLX. I listen to classic rock and Jazz and it's perfectly suited/tuned for those genres.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I've always loved the ELS system in my vintage 15 TLX. I listen to classic rock and Jazz and it's perfectly suited/tuned for those genres.
I sometimes wonder if car makers make judgment calls on stereo tuning based on assumptions of the type of music their target demographic listens to. Would seem a bit presumptuous but they do need to make decisions. How do they do it?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread, I am disappointed that the sound in Sport and Sport+ mode is through the speakers, I feel naive that I didn't know that as an avid Acura owner.

With the GIANT new logo on the front grill, does anyone know of a person that would make a custom lighted emblem for that, would look awesome in that new grill?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I have seen pictures on people plastic dipping the outer ring of the logo. I would never light up that logo, but thats just my opinion.
I would explore options like makybe placing a tinted film over it so it doesnt shine as much as it flows with the dark accents on the gril.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
I have seen pictures on people plastic dipping the outer ring of the logo. I would never light up that logo, but thats just my opinion.
I would explore options like makybe placing a tinted film over it so it doesnt shine as much as it flows with the dark accents on the gril.
I'd be careful or you might affect the camera/sensor that is behind the logo.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Yeah....I had that in mind thats why I thought about a tinted film to test it first, but honestly; I can live with the logo. I went to see another one today at the dealership and the car looks awesome. To me, the grill looks weird only when looked at directly in front of the car, because as soon as you start to angle to either side, the grill makes an aggressive appereance that flows with the car (In my opinion).

From all the mods that can be done to the A Spec, Im pretty much set on my priority list:

-REMOTE START
-ILLUMINATED SILLS
-AUTO FOLDING MIRRORS
Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Advanced

I didn't see folding mirrors on the accessory list. Is that aftermarket?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I didn't see folding mirrors on the accessory list. Is that aftermarket?
I might be wrong but I think it's a feature of the Advanced package that can be purchased separately.
I have a sheet with all prices for each including installation...let me double check that sheet to confirm.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

I might be wrong but I think it's a feature of the Advanced package that can be purchased separately.
I have a sheet with all prices for each including installation...let me double check that sheet to confirm.
If you're in the US there is no Advanced package on ASpec. I wish. In Canada they can get that combo.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:16 AM

I sometimes wonder if car makers make judgment calls on stereo tuning based on assumptions of the type of music their target demographic listens to. Would seem a bit presumptuous but they do need to make decisions. How do they do it?
That's a good question - given that Elliot Scheiner works with artists like Sting and Joe Jackson and Ben Folds it makes sense that the sound system is tuned for that type of music.

I just love it but I can understand if someone likes a lot of THUMP in their music that it may not be so good for them.

It's a mystery to me why they don't include a 7 or 9 band equalizer as part of the system. It's all software and would be easy enough to do.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah....I had that in mind thats why I thought about a tinted film to test it first, but honestly; I can live with the logo. I went to see another one today at the dealership and the car looks awesome. To me, the grill looks weird only when looked at directly in front of the car, because as soon as you start to angle to either side, the grill makes an aggressive appereance that flows with the car (In my opinion).

From all the mods that can be done to the A Spec, Im pretty much set on my priority list:

-REMOTE START
-ILLUMINATED SILLS
-AUTO FOLDING MIRRORS
I am getting the Remote Start and Illuminated Sills put in the next week or so, it was part of my deal at cost when I bought the car...I'll update you and try and send a picture of the sills.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You only get the piped in engine noise in Sport and Sport +, and if you hit the accelerator appreciably.

The strange thing is, there's hardly any exhaust sound outside. So.....a positive for my neighbors (no racous exhaust note), and a positive for me (a bit of artifical growl), I guess?
I can't find anything on line about this, are you sure this is the case? I do feel like it sounds throaty in the car even with the speakers off. I can't believe they would pipe in engine sounds...
Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Acura’s Active Sound Control (or ASC) is a technology used to improve the sound of the engine by making the sound level more linear as the RPMs increase. The ASC works with the Active Noise Control (or ANC) system, which uses in-cabin microphones to detect noise, and then uses a special amplifier and the car’s speakers to playback a reverse phase signal that cancels out the unwanted sounds.

The Active Sound Control system creates same phase or reverse phase sound signals to increase or decrease sound pressure levels, depending on engine RPM. The system works at any engine speed, but makes the largest difference between 1,000 and 1,800 RPM on 4-cylinder engines and 1,400 and 2,400 RPM on 6-cylinder engines where it uses a reverse phase signal to lower engine noise.

ASC is also part of the Integrated Dynamics System (or IDS). When set to ECON or Normal mode the system is designed to maintain a smooth and unobtrusive engine sound. When switched to Sport or Sport+ mode the system provides a more aggressive engine note, giving the best of both worlds
Old 07-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Acura’s Active Sound Control (or ASC) is a technology used to improve the sound of the engine by making the sound level more linear as the RPMs increase. The ASC works with the Active Noise Control (or ANC) system, which uses in-cabin microphones to detect noise, and then uses a special amplifier and the car’s speakers to playback a reverse phase signal that cancels out the unwanted sounds.

The Active Sound Control system creates same phase or reverse phase sound signals to increase or decrease sound pressure levels, depending on engine RPM. The system works at any engine speed, but makes the largest difference between 1,000 and 1,800 RPM on 4-cylinder engines and 1,400 and 2,400 RPM on 6-cylinder engines where it uses a reverse phase signal to lower engine noise.

ASC is also part of the Integrated Dynamics System (or IDS). When set to ECON or Normal mode the system is designed to maintain a smooth and unobtrusive engine sound. When switched to Sport or Sport+ mode the system provides a more aggressive engine note, giving the best of both worlds
Thanks for the detailed response!
FLYGUY31 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Copied and Pasted! But I did look it up!