TLX or Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
TLX or Not

My 2011 Tl SH-AWD will go to my daughter pretty soon, a couple a days ago I drove a 2013 Audi S5 and I was not impressed, I could not feel the acceleration like stated 0-60 4.7 sec – Quarter mile 13 sec, the car did not speak to me, just not my thing (we have all different opinions and tastes, no offence to Audi drivers).

Next week I’ll try some BMW’s.(Anyone some suggestions on BMW's and what to try first, no matter coupe, sedan, convertible projected budget 70K)

An alternative is buying another Tl SH-AWD 6MT or waiting for the TLX SH-AWD, even though I’m not very found on first year new technologies. (Dilemma) The TLX looks like a nice car.

Btw. I like my Tl a lot of car for the money
Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I was really looing forward to the TLX at some point but i think later this year i'll be looking somewhere else. This TLX has no soul for me to put out that kind of cash, I think the 4G has more to tell you the truth. Prob an older Audi or Infinti in my near future unless they come out with a type S version that speaks like that prototype did.
The following users liked this post:
blakura (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
3 & 4 will fit a $70K budget after discounts. Its rare that a dealer will have the top optioned performance MPPK or suspension DHP versions in stock. All three & various versions perform differently. Motor Week TV just did a 435 coupe test. Cars are a lot smaller than the TL.

If small does not bother you try a M235 probably the best handling BMW in a long time. A lot like the old ZHP but with way more power. M235 - canyon carver, 435M-Sport - good all round performance car, 435 Convert - Boulevard cruiser.

Personal choice if for me alone M235 will full performance & suspension options. To share with wife 435M-Sport with all performance & suspension options.

On the Audi they are very quick, some quicker than the 3 series, but very subtle about it, no crude edges to the performance. Personally think it’s a very good car just not my styling choice.

Lexus IS350F also fits the budget & is a very nice car, not as quick as the BMW or Audi but a great DD.

Outside of the imports the Caddy "V" is nice if you like the styling. Then there is always the Vette Z-51 for a personal DD for under $70K

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
We are thrilled with our 2012 TL but if we were looking for a car right now, strong contenders would be the Infiniti Q as well as the redesigned Genesis. Hyundai in particular has been getting very good press about the 2015 restyle.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
3 & 4 will fit a $70K budget after discounts. Its rare that a dealer will have the top optioned performance MPPK or suspension DHP versions in stock. All three & various versions perform differently. Motor Week TV just did a 435 coupe test. Cars are a lot smaller than the TL.

If small does not bother you try a M235 probably the best handling BMW in a long time. A lot like the old ZHP but with way more power. M235 - canyon carver, 435M-Sport - good all round performance car, 435 Convert - Boulevard cruiser.

Personal choice if for me alone M235 will full performance & suspension options. To share with wife 435M-Sport with all performance & suspension options.

On the Audi they are very quick, some quicker than the 3 series, but very subtle about it, no crude edges to the performance. Personally think it’s a very good car just not my styling choice.

Lexus IS350F also fits the budget & is a very nice car, not as quick as the BMW or Audi but a great DD.

Outside of the imports the Caddy "V" is nice if you like the styling. Then there is always the Vette Z-51 for a personal DD for under $70K
Kevin, besides the Audi not being my ride it was a little to small. Looking more to seat at least 4 adults. About a month ago I drove the CTS-V fast & comfortable, the new one is a 6 Cyl TT will try as well. What about the BMW's seating 4 adults?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I would hold on until you actually get a chance to drive the new TLX SH-awd. It's just a few more months and you'll very likely end up really liking it. There are a few things I would change about it after seeing the production version but overall I'm impressed enough to consider buying one. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
We are thrilled with our 2012 TL but if we were looking for a car right now, strong contenders would be the Infiniti Q as well as the redesigned Genesis. Hyundai in particular has been getting very good press about the 2015 restyle.
I sat in the new Genesis sedan at the anew York show and was very impressed. The materials are better than the out going Genesis, but since I have not been in a TLX I suspect the TLX materials will be a tad better. Also the Genesis still has a a few areas of plastic I was not digging, but the car is very nice. The drive shaft tunnel is rather large. I fine the Q50 too small, it is only a tad bigger inside than the G was.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mylove4cars
Kevin, besides the Audi not being my ride it was a little to small. Looking more to seat at least 4 adults. About a month ago I drove the CTS-V fast & comfortable, the new one is a 6 Cyl TT will try as well. What about the BMW's seating 4 adults?
Take a look t the Audi A6, that is where I wound up as the S4 was slick, but too small and unreliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
blakura (04-20-2014), ichi d (05-05-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Terragotti
I was really looing forward to the TLX at some point but i think later this year i'll be looking somewhere else. This TLX has no soul for me to put out that kind of cash, I think the 4G has more to tell you the truth. Prob an older Audi or Infinti in my near future unless they come out with a type S version that speaks like that prototype did.
With all due respect, the soul of the car may very well be in the driving. Give it a spin and then decide.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't know have a Coupe & Convert, not suitable for 4 adults. The space in the coupe is not bad but getting in & out could be a bitch. Convert is just too small for adults in the back but its the smaller 135is that has about 18 inches cut out of the 3 platform. Under stand the new 245 is bigger but did not sit in the back of the one I drove.

Never had or sat in a 4 door BMW sedan.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I didn't sit in the rear seats of the M235 but what a GREAT little performer!! More HP and Torque on a car smaller than our TL, you know that had to be fun

I test drove an S4 as well that same afternoon and quite an intoxicating engine sound (it even burped at me) but the exterior styling was just too meh for me....
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
550i?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^
Just a few option packages & its over budget.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
the M235i is very fun to drive
Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Racer

Thank you all for your advice, Ill do some test driving this week.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

4 people in the 435M

mylove4cars (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
The new 3 Series should seat four adults comfortably, at least for short to moderate trips. It's quite a bit larger than the previous generation in the rear seat. I've tested two 328i models, RWD Sport Line with 6MT and M-Sport with X-Drive. Apart from numb, lifeless steering and a somewhat isolated feel, I thought they were outstanding cars, especially the RWD Sport Line. Since your budget allows it, try a 335i Sport Line or M-Sport. The engine is incredible. Also, BMW has supposedly revised the steering for better feel since I tested those 328i's back in 2012. (I plan to test them again soon to find out.)

In the next size up, I'd look at the Lexus GS 350 F-Sport. The Caddy CTS V-Sport would be tempting, but I think I'd take the presumed Lexus reliability advantage, especially with the CTS in its first year. On that issue, I wouldn't be surprised if a first model year Acura is more reliable than almost any European model despite the Europeans' improvement of late. With the TLX, I'd be a little concerned about the new transmissions, but nothing else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nedmundo:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2014), mylove4cars (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm hoping that Acura does what we've never seen before and makes significant mods to the TLX next year. It is like they never knew this day was coming and they are just trying to get the TLX out the door (Like a kid in school who had a whole month to make his diorama and slaps it together on the bus ride to school).
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
LoL. a Diorama.... it's been so long since I had to make one of those!. ( had to look it up).
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I think people are beating on it to hard. Acura screwed up big time flashing the prototype around right before the reveal. Flashing prototypes is something you do when the production car is a few years out.

Fan type people got all hyped then let down because of the Big Red Car. Remember that college kid who has disappeared & the Red Car?

Thing is the TLX as is will pull Acura's sedan bacon out of the fire. Its a nice car.
a35tl (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Also, BMW has supposedly revised the steering for better feel since I tested those 328i's back in 2012. (I plan to test them again soon to find out.)
If it is the same setup as being used in the 4-series, then it is better, but still not up to classic BMW standards.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Husband and I are also looking for another car this year. Our budget is less than yours, but we have narrowed it down to either a new TLX SH-AWD or used 535 xDrive (prob 2012).

He took a serious liking to the CLA45 AMG last year but we aren't thrilled with the interior - particularly the look of the nav system. But take a look at it, you may like it.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...LA/model-CLA45
mylove4cars (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I am interested in the TLX. Probably not new though. In 11 months I will turn in my leased TSX and lease one more car (leaning towards Fusion, 200, Optima) then buy a used TLX at that time.

Genesis is a nice car especially the new one, but I would think TL drivers would be bored to tears with that car in six months.

BMW 5-series is my favorite car but I'd never buy one due to reliability concerns.

Last Friday I drove a new CTS (3.6 premium). The car is beautiful. 20-way performance seats were the most comfortable I've ever sat in. I liked the feel of the car in sport mode. Digital dash was spiffy. But to me the car was not as quiet as has been reported in the press. Engine was very loud until it settled down in cruise, and there was more road noise than I would have expected (I was on 18" rims).
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
With all due respect, the soul of the car may very well be in the driving. Give it a spin and then decide.
Very true but when i look at my car i want to have that i love it feeling (I love looking at my CL-S ass with those 2 pipes sticking out), Not the 'Well it is a beautiful drive minus the looks" feeling. who knows i might change my mind on this car like i swayed on the 4G TL, i was already coming around when i saw the paint modding and kits but when i drove it i fell in love with it. This is smaller tho and really tame on the looks, i showed it to my lady and she was like "Thats what you want, kind of boring isnt it" and in my head "i'm like yea it sure is"
Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Husband and I are also looking for another car this year. Our budget is less than yours, but we have narrowed it down to either a new TLX SH-AWD or used 535 xDrive (prob 2012).

He took a serious liking to the CLA45 AMG last year but we aren't thrilled with the interior - particularly the look of the nav system. But take a look at it, you may like it.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...LA/model-CLA45
The CLA is selling like hotcakes and is a good looking car.

Wife and I checked out the CLA (they only had 1 AMG model, and it sold), one thing I didn't like was the rear seats. It's ultra tight in the back, nonexistent rear head room due to the sloping roof line, and definitely not for adults long term. Otherwise it has a nice size flat trunk and the front seats are ok.

The CLA AMG looks like it has some serious power and could be a bargain.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I think people are beating on it to hard. Acura screwed up big time flashing the prototype around right before the reveal. Flashing prototypes is something you do when the production car is a few years out.

Fan type people got all hyped then let down because of the Big Red Car. Remember that college kid who has disappeared & the Red Car?

Thing is the TLX as is will pull Acura's sedan bacon out of the fire. Its a nice car.
The TLX does look like a nice car. It's not polarizing, and not offensive. I"m sure it will sell well, and likely sell better than the 4G TL. But if the ILX and RLX are any indications, it's not a good omen.

I think reasons people here on AZ are beating on it is because of the hype Acura built from the commercials and prototype.... If I show you a sizzling 12oz Japanese Wygu Filet Mignon, and you end up getting a 8oz top sirloin from California on your plate, wouldn't you be disappointed?

And also regarding members here on AZ: we are getting older and being a little more nitpicky than the average consumer, our finances are likely stabilizing and improving, economy doing a little better (no thanks to Obama, which is another discussion in itself) we have more expectations and wants, and more flexible income. So our expectations are high and can afford to be picky.

It will be interesting to see if the TLX can draw consumers from other brands, that IMHO will be a tell tale sign of the TLX success or failure.

I will reserve final judgement until the TLX V6 SHAWD is released with reviews and I get a chance to test it drive it. But I admit I am a little disappointed due to revealed production model's bland styling, and lack of 6MT.

How hard is it for Acura to listen to its fan base? Acura seems to be as boneheaded as Lakers management
rockyfeller (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Showing that prototype for months and release the water down version, hopefully a Type-s will come shortly and it will pick some of us up,

Obama helped this country after the Haliburton twins screwed us and the soliders they sent off fight the WMD war. Obama = Healthcare vs Bush = The worst president ever. hands down
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy

And also regarding members here on AZ: we are getting older and being a little more nitpicky than the average consumer, our finances are likely stabilizing and improving, economy doing a little better (no thanks to Obama, which is another discussion in itself) we have more expectations and wants, and more flexible income. So our expectations are high and can afford to be picky.
Docboy I think you just hit the nail on its head with my issue after seeing the TLX. When I first purchased my 2007 TL new back in 2007 I was 23 years old and a year or two out of college. It WOWED me back then. Unfortunately that car was totalled and I bought a certified preowned 2008 TL in its place 2 years ago. Perhaps now I'm older my priorities for finances have shifted away from my daily driver over to preparing for the future. Saving up for a house, marriage, kids etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Terragotti
Showing that prototype for months and release the water down version, hopefully a Type-s will come shortly and it will pick some of us up,

Obama helped this country after the Haliburton twins screwed us and the soliders they sent off fight the WMD war. Obama = Healthcare vs Bush = The worst president ever. hands down
Really?!?!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I saw and heard the new M235i ~two weeks ago and it was sick!! For 70k though I'd definitely wait a year and pick up a F10 M5. With less then 10k miles they're in the low 80's, and with ~12k miles they're around 75k. I'd take that any and every day over any sedan in the same range.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

I was at a gas station a few days ago when a Monte Carlo F10 pulled up. The owner revved it a bit when he was leaving and it sounded sick!

Or for $40-45k you can probably find the nicest, lowest mileage V10 E60 M5.

Last edited by VR1; 04-21-2014 at 05:10 PM.
rockyfeller (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
Docboy I think you just hit the nail on its head with my issue after seeing the TLX. When I first purchased my 2007 TL new back in 2007 I was 23 years old and a year or two out of college. It WOWED me back then. Unfortunately that car was totalled and I bought a certified preowned 2008 TL in its place 2 years ago. Perhaps now I'm older my priorities for finances have shifted away from my daily driver over to preparing for the future. Saving up for a house, marriage, kids etc.
I'm still wowed by the 3G TL - that is a nice looking car. I got my 2G towards the end of the cycle (and had to get a new car) so I couldn't justify buying the 3G.

As for saving up for the house, marriage, kids.etc - don't save up for kids- they aren't worth it
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
You can't really say for x amount of $, I could get a used y car. Because you can go on forever with that approach.

For me, I am not looking to buy a new car any time soon and the TLX production version is not helping. Everything is good but not wow enough to trade in. But I think it's a great choice for those who are looking to buy the TL but don't like the 4G design.

My 1-year old 4G TL is working out great for me. I don't have much to complain. It's a great dd. But in 3, 4 years the new car bug may bite me again, but at that time my situation will change for sure, the TLX is a good buy right now may not be 3-4 years later especially if I can increase my budget. At that time, a lot of cars (e.g. IS350 or GS350, Q50, etc) will be the end of their life and crazy deals will be available. Who knows, I might end up with a Avalon :P
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
I pre-ordered mine
a35tl (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't think I'd ever buy another bimmer again. I've fallen for the two car lifestyle. If I had 70k and was starting from scratch, I'd buy a cpo accord and a C6 Z06 or C7 vette. I've gotten over my phase of trying to get performance out of mainstream cars. For my daily commute and road trips, the RL does exactly what I want it to do, and I don't care that it's slow because my other car isn't. I do plan on replacing the 335 with a vette or a GTR though.

But if I could only have one car and I had 70k to spend, i'd probably wait to see what the next gen S4 was like, and i'd end up choosing between the next gen C400 merc, the S4, an A6, or a C7 vette... unless I could find a cpo S6 for 69,999.99
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally like the style and have a strong feeling a TypeS model will appear in the future years.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
The CLA is selling like hotcakes and is a good looking car.

Wife and I checked out the CLA (they only had 1 AMG model, and it sold), one thing I didn't like was the rear seats. It's ultra tight in the back, nonexistent rear head room due to the sloping roof line, and definitely not for adults long term. Otherwise it has a nice size flat trunk and the front seats are ok.

The CLA AMG looks like it has some serious power and could be a bargain.
Yes, I agree the performance is nice, the entire car is nice. Just to small, like you mentioned, almost no rear seat space.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes, I agree the performance is nice, the entire car is nice. Just to small, like you mentioned, almost no rear seat space.
That, and many reviews are saying the ride is overly harsh, even considering the car's performance orientation. If that's true, I wonder how the CLA drivers are doing here in Philly with all the potholes this year. I've seen lots of CLA's around, and the roads are brutal.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VR1
I saw and heard the new M235i ~two weeks ago and it was sick!! For 70k though I'd definitely wait a year and pick up a F10 M5. With less then 10k miles they're in the low 80's, and with ~12k miles they're around 75k. I'd take that any and every day over any sedan in the same range.

I was at a gas station a few days ago when a Monte Carlo F10 pulled up. The owner revved it a bit when he was leaving and it sounded sick!

Or for $40-45k you can probably find the nicest, lowest mileage V10 E60 M5.
Very nice indeed M5 series (V10 E60 M5) what about reliability?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I really enjoy my 2013 F10 550i. It has a great ride and power all the time. You can get a 2014 with the Msport (looks and handling) for 70k. They bumped up the HP from 400 to 450 and TQ from 450 to 480 in 2014. Goes like a bat out of hell but rides great when just riding around town.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark0824:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-15-2014), mylove4cars (04-22-2014), VR1 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Very nice indeed M5 series (V10 E60 M5) what about reliability?
Reliability isn't a strong forte of most older AMG/M Sedans. However if you can find one at Carmax, their warranty will cover pretty much everything. But maintenance will still be expensive.

Quick Reply: TLX or Not