TLX I4 vs. V6 other differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
TLX I4 vs. V6 other differences?

So, shopping to replace partner's '08 TSX. I drive a '12 TL. Both base FWD models. We live in the Rust Belt, and the TSX is getting into "... but Trusty" territory.

We both like the TL because it's fairly sedate/smooth, while being affordable (we're shopping for used 2015 models), able to get out of its own way in traffic, and still gets decent mileage on the highway. We were expecting the TLX to follow the same formula, and test drove a couple.

The V6 felt pretty similar to my TL, overall. But her commute is crazy-long (mileage) and she's a cheapskate, so that's two reasons to get a 4cyl. The 4cyl, though, felt different; like it's really stiffly sprung, and is maybe missing some Dynamat. Road bumps were pretty jarring, there was a nontrivial amount of cabin vibration and noise, and honestly, the poor car seemed pretty under-powered below 4k rpm or so. (Which doesn't help the noise.)

I asked the salesperson if there were any differences between the two cars other than the engine (would the lighter-weight engine account for that? Wikipedia says it's only a hundred pounds difference...) but they didn't know. Are we hallucinating?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
So, shopping to replace partner's '08 TSX. I drive a '12 TL. Both base FWD models. We live in the Rust Belt, and the TSX is getting into "... but Trusty" territory.

We both like the TL because it's fairly sedate/smooth, while being affordable (we're shopping for used 2015 models), able to get out of its own way in traffic, and still gets decent mileage on the highway. We were expecting the TLX to follow the same formula, and test drove a couple.

The V6 felt pretty similar to my TL, overall. But her commute is crazy-long (mileage) and she's a cheapskate, so that's two reasons to get a 4cyl. The 4cyl, though, felt different; like it's really stiffly sprung, and is maybe missing some Dynamat. Road bumps were pretty jarring, there was a nontrivial amount of cabin vibration and noise, and honestly, the poor car seemed pretty under-powered below 4k rpm or so. (Which doesn't help the noise.)

I asked the salesperson if there were any differences between the two cars other than the engine (would the lighter-weight engine account for that? Wikipedia says it's only a hundred pounds difference...) but they didn't know. Are we hallucinating?

Thanks,
Dave

If I’m not wrong the V6 only comes in AWD while the I4 for sure only comes in fwd. That also adds weight and that can make it feel more solid.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
The v6 comes in FWD as well. The v6 also has VCM so highway mpg is pretty damn good. I drove both and decided on getting the v6.

The engines are the main differences, the other difference is that the 4cyl gets a traditional gear shifter while the v6 gets a gear selector. Some people don't like the selector, I personally do and it looks pretty cool too.

Even if she is a cheapskate, Acura recommends premium fuel of course, whether you use regular or premium fuel is another topic.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dezymond
The v6 comes in FWD as well. The v6 also has VCM so highway mpg is pretty damn good. I drove both and decided on getting the v6.

The engines are the main differences, the other difference is that the 4cyl gets a traditional gear shifter while the v6 gets a gear selector. Some people don't like the selector, I personally do and it looks pretty cool too.

Even if she is a cheapskate, Acura recommends premium fuel of course, whether you use regular or premium fuel is another topic.
Thank you for correcting me. I had no idea the V6 could be had with FWD. Does it still have all wheel steering?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

Thank you for correcting me. I had no idea the V6 could be had with FWD. Does it still have all wheel steering?
If in Canada, the V6 FWD was available only in 2015. Look on their site, it is still available in USA. SH-AWD does more than all wheel steering (only in FWD).
Old 02-11-2018, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
-------The 4cyl, though, felt different; like it's really stiffly sprung, and is maybe missing some Dynamat. Road bumps were pretty jarring, there was a nontrivial amount of cabin vibration and noise, and honestly, the poor car seemed pretty under-powered below 4k rpm or so. (Which doesn't help the noise.)------
Wow, that doesn't jive with my experience at all! Heck, some of the reasons I bought the car are smooth ride, comfort, quietness and adequate acceleration. And I haven't been disappointed in the three years I've had it. How many 4 cylinder 2015's did you drive? Could you have possibly have just had a bad one for some reason? Doesn't compute
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

As one who has a FWD version of the TLX V6, I do recommend the SH-AWD version as traction off the line in the PAWS model is touch and go.

But there’s no denying that the V6 FWD has some great fuel economy, particularly in highway driving.

That said, the I4 version is a good ride as well.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
the v4 is pretty awesome, no problems driving in any type of situation, accelerating or speeding past cars in the fast lane. I don’t think it’s as quick off the line as my ‘16 ILX was, maybe due to the weight of the car I’m not sure

but all in all it’s a great ride, definitely quiet and smooth, I use regular gas I heard premium doesn’t need to be used only for better gas mileage or top performance which I don’t need. It’s weird putting premium in a 4 cylinder I don’t know, maybe if it was a turbo or something

the all wheel steering is good, a nice difference for me

Last edited by Sixers12; 02-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I guess the biggest difference between the two other than the engines themselves are the transmissions.

The 4cyl uses Honda's DCT, which is great and very responsive. It pairs very well with the engine and when I test drove it I was thoroughly impressed with it. Shifts were smooth and quick.

The v6 uses a ZF 9spd which has gotten alot of crap (rough shifts from gears 1-2, 2-3, 3-4) and it feels like it takes forever to find gears sometimes, especially if you want to make a pass. I don't drive spiritedly by any means, but it does take some getting to used to as the response alot of times isn't instant. I personally drive in normal mode 90% of the time, but the times I do put it to Sport mode, it definitely is more responsive. I've had the rough shifts and noticed them after about 30k miles.

All that being said, if you're considering the v6, I've heard they've remedied the issues in the 2016 model so I would start with that if you're going for a used TLX.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Saintor
If in Canada, the V6 FWD was available only in 2015. Look on their site, it is still available in USA. SH-AWD does more than all wheel steering (only in FWD).
Thank you for letting me know, this would explain my confusion. I always mix up between Canadian and U.S options. Like for example we can’t get an RDX or MDX that is not AWD here but of course in the states you can.

Originally Posted by F23A4

As one who has a FWD version of the TLX V6, I do recommend the SH-AWD version as traction off the line in the PAWS model is touch and go.

But there’s no denying that the V6 FWD has some great fuel economy, particularly in highway driving.

That said, the I4 version is a good ride as well.
290hp (though many want to say is not enough) is a lot of power for just 2 wheels to handle and I can imagine whee slipping in aggressive acceleration. I’d definitely be signed up for SH-AWD. It was an amazing system in 2005 and it still is almost 15 years later.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated.

We will have to continue discussing this.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The I4 has a timing chain, while the V6 has a belt.
wlkeel (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudbase
The I4 has a timing chain, while the V6 has a belt.
That’s a very valid consideration for longer term ownership.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixers12
the v4 is pretty awesome, no problems driving in any type of situation, accelerating or speeding past cars in the fast lane.
No such a thing as a Honda/Acura V4 anything. The two options for the TLX are I4 or V6.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
fiatlux (02-12-2018), silverTL6 (08-05-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
No such a thing as a Honda/Acura V4 anything. The two options for the TLX are I4 or V6.
Actually, the Honda Interceptor does have a V4 engine
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
badbart (08-08-2019), Christopher. (08-05-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Actually, the Honda Interceptor does have a V4 engine
Touché.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

As did the Magna. The ST series also had them.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Latent car nut

Okay, so as has been pointed out, I need to refine my statement from yesterday; how's this?
  • "From an automotive perspective, there is no such a thing as a Honda/Acura V4 anything."

Better?
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
badbart (08-08-2019), Comfy (08-09-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Okay, so as has been pointed out, I need to refine my statement from yesterday; how's this?
  • "From an automotive perspective, there is no such a thing as a Honda/Acura V4 anything."

Better?
We all knew what you meant, so we just took the opportunity to torque on your nuts just a little.
Comfy (08-09-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by cloudbase
We all knew what you meant, so we just took the opportunity to torque on your nuts just a little.
Yup, got it; just torquing back a little.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

I believe when VCM deactivates two cylinders, the V6 employs a V4 firing pattern, so an argument could be made that Honda does functionally offer a V4 engine in their cars.
Comfy (08-09-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Latent car nut

I believe when VCM deactivates two cylinders, the V6 employs a V4 firing pattern, so an argument could be made that Honda does functionally offer a V4 engine in their cars.
I thought VCM dropped the number of firing cylinders to three? Shows what I know.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought VCM dropped the number of firing cylinders to three? Shows what I know.
Unlike with RWD vs AWD you aren’t completely wrong here ( :wink: I swear I’m only kidding haha). Initially for 2013-2015 the V6 in the RDX could shut down to either V4 or I3 but starting in 2016 it is either V6 or I3, no more V4.
Comfy (08-09-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

For the older version, it drops either 2 or 3, depending on the situation.
Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | VCM

Actually now that I look at it, it's not a true V4 firing pattern because the cylinder on each bank that's deactivated isn't across from one another; rather, they're the cylinders that are farthest away from one another.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Latent car nut

For the older version, it drops either 2 or 3, depending on the situation.
Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | VCM

Actually now that I look at it, it's not a true V4 firing pattern because the cylinder on each bank that's deactivated isn't across from one another; rather, they're the cylinders that are farthest away from one another.
Maybe that makes it a V-O-4 engine.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I4 satisfaction

We looked at both the I4 and the V6. The car was for the wife so ultimately it was her decision. I liked the V6 very much, but she preferred the I4 because there was a stitching difference between the 2 vehicles. And they also had different shifts; push button or the typical shift mechanism. Little did I know it would matter to her but it did. Anyway, we bought the I4, and have been very happy with it. Gas mileage is good; around 32 combined city and highway. It has enough power. Maybe the V6 would be a bit faster, but the I4 is fine. I’m very satisfied with the I4. She’s happy, and ultimately that’s good for me. I only drive it on weekends anyway. I have my V6 Acura MDX, which suits me fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan O'Hara:
a35tl (08-03-2019), Gen4MDX (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:47 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When our MDX was recently in the shop, we were given a fwd 2019 TLX with the V6 as a loaner. Great car with lots of power!

My parents (who do not have a need for speed) are starting their search for a new vehicle. I’ve suggested to them the 4 cylinder TLX. Seems like there are plenty of good deals to be had on those, and they look like a great value overall
Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I've read about how the I4 is supposedly tuned more for drivers who want more "sporty" handling, but, I had the 4 cylinder as a loaner and I could not WAIT to get back to my V6. I like the V6 version better in basically every way, except I would prefer the shift lever and the 8DCT (if I could get those on a V6 model).
Originally Posted by F23A4
Do you practically floor it out of every stop, or what? I mean, I can spin my front tires if I want to (I've done it purely for fun, a couple times) - it's actually easy to do a "stationary burn out" although I should put a disclaimer not to try it when you're behind another car because your experience may be "different than mine" (IE you may suddenly rear end the car in front of you).

Yeah, OK, I guess sometimes tires slipping unintentionally can be a little annoying (but I haven't experienced it happening often) and the SH-AWD would be nice for that, and for accelerating out of corners, but, and this is a BIG but: 1) the FWD had slightly better track times when tested by one of the car mags, and 2) while I was getting some service done I spent my time shooting the shit with a couple of the younger dealers who were both driving enthusiasts and the one whom spends more time at the track said that for track use, he would take the P-AWS over the SH-AWD. Granted, the TLX is not the most track worthy car, but, the V6 does have decent power, the car is great about not having body roll in hard corners, and I do have fun w/mine once I leanred to turn Traction Control off (every time I get in the car now, it goes off).

Last edited by Christopher.; 08-05-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Pro

290hp (though many want to say is not enough) is a lot of power for just 2 wheels to handle and I can imagine whee slipping in aggressive acceleration. I’d definitely be signed up for SH-AWD. It was an amazing system in 2005 and it still is almost 15 years later.
So... To anybody that's feeling like the 3.5L V6 TLX doesn't have enough power I need to you try try something which is very easy and simple: turn off Traction Control and try again - it's like the car suddenly got a huge upgrade, at least from my perspective. It really lets me feel like I'm in control of the power rather than my grandma

Addnl info regarding TC off: Supposedly turning "off" TC only turns it off "at speeds below 40 MPH" and, it also does not turn off additional safety features such as VSA or ABS - so, it's probably actually not a large safety concern turning TC off, but if you're worried, don't do it in rain/snow conditions or at high speeds

Last edited by Christopher.; 08-05-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Latent car nut

Dude, you continue to make me want to plonk my head on the desk; what does "sporty handling" have to do with acceleration? Think about it, if a (relatively speaking) lower powered TLX in i4 FWD trim gets better lap times compared an an AWD V6 TLX, then not only is the handling better in the 4-cylinder model, it is A LOT BETTER.

We get it, you like acceleration and as such, the V6 model is better for you.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Pro

Dude, you continue to make me want to plonk my head on the desk; what does "sporty handling" have to do with acceleration? Think about it, if a (relatively speaking) lower powered TLX in i4 FWD trim gets better lap times compared an an AWD V6 TLX, then not only is the handling better in the 4-cylinder model, it is A LOT BETTER.

We get it, you like acceleration and as such, the V6 model is better for you.
No, it's the V6 FWD that gets better lap times than the SH-AWD.

Even in the lighter ILX (my loaner was the 2019 ILX Aspec, which sadly, is "cosmetic only" in the ILX version) the 4 felt painfully slow - responsiveness in all aspects is important to the feel of driving a car IMO. That includes braking, steering, and acceleration. I don't want to go fast, so much as I want my car to feel instantly responsive to my input. So, I don't want a "sloppy" steering wheel with play in the center, or one that feels like you're operating a remote control on a robot (no feedback). I would also take a 250 HP V6 with an immediate throttle response over a 1,000 HP V8 engine which had an excessive "drive by wire" feel which made the driver feel "disconnected" from the input because of lag/delay etc.

Of course I understand that 4 cylinder Miata can provide a more engaging driving experience than a heavy V6 sedan, even if the sedan could go faster, one might not ENJOY driving it faster around a turn, in fact, it might not feel safe taking the turn as fast as the Miata.