AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   TLX Front Grille Replacement / Repair (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/tlx-front-grille-replacement-repair-975763/)

jvah1980 12-19-2018 03:28 PM

TLX Front Grille Replacement / Repair

As a lucky "NEW" owner of an Acura TLX, my CPO 2015 got hit this morning. Ironically, when I purchased a new 2011 TL a plow took out half the car while it was parked a week after I bought it - so par for the course I guess.
This wasn't too bad - someone forgot they were in reverse at a parking gate, when the gate opened hit it and hit me (as I was behind them).

At first it didn't look like there was any damage - but I realized the outer trim bezel was cracked. Then realized the honeycomb was cracked, and the center trim piece was pushed in. I looked it up and found some references to taking apart (for painting). I realize there are essentially 4 piece to that grill, the outer chrome piece, inner chrome, the honeycomb venting and the Acura logo. Does this sound correct?

The reference I saw mentioned having to remove the bumper to access the screws.

My question is - it doesn't look like a simple DIY repair - anyone have an estimate on how many labor hours it takes to drop the bumper, and replace the front grill components and reassemble? It seems like the parts alone will be nearly $400. I'm guessing with labor it's going to end up being $700-$900. Does this sound about right? Of course my deductible is a $1000 - but I'll be in touch with the person to cover the repair. Either way I have to get some estimates - but if the pieces were replaceable without removing the front bumper I'd probably just order the parts and do it myself.

This is all speculation - feel free to correct me if I'm off base with anything.

Thanks!

jvah1980 12-20-2018 05:19 PM

Great news!

24 hours later I just got hit again from behind in a hit and run! I should of played the lottery.

This one left a scrape and the trim around the lower reflector broken. Apparently I just can’t have nice things in this world. Should of kept my civic I had twenty years ago - it would probably still be running good and things like this would worry free.

thoiboi 12-20-2018 06:33 PM

Dash cam would do you wonders

jvah1980 12-20-2018 07:27 PM

Fortunately the front damage there was no disputes. Father of the teenager said he’d cover it.

This time get rear ended I’m not sure the dash cam would work. It was kind of at a Y. I pulled to the right. They pulled to the left. I thought they were just going to the end of the road to turn around. They didn’t speed off or anything like you see in movies. They slowly went to the end of the road - made a full and complete stop at a stop sign. Then kept going.

By by the time I realized they weren’t turning around and got back in my car to grab my phone to get a pic of the car it was too late.

Hallened in in front of a school. Police have all the footage but can’t make out license plate. They seemed confident it wouldn’t take too long to find the car because it had unique characteristics and was in the school. So probably a student or someone dropping off a student.

you are absolutely right though about the cam. I’ve been considering it for awhile. I used to drive about 30k miles a year for work, and eventually ended up at the office most of the time. But with some expansion I’m back on the road. It’s way worse now in NY then it was 10 years ago. I used to have a close call once a month. Now it’s twice a day with people texting, doing makeup, accepting an Uber fair, etc.

it it should be mandatory st this point to have a camera. I’m definitely going to look into it. A very small investment I’m sure in a very crazy litigious world.

19Legend93 03-23-2019 05:30 PM

Front Grille removal

I'm interested in buying a 2016 or 2017 Acura TLX. I'm curious if it's possible to take off the silver grille mold and put a black mess grille there and put the logo on the mess grille?

silverTL6 03-23-2019 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 19Legend93 (Post 16402328)
I'm curious if it's possible to take off the silver grille mold and put a black mess grille there and put the logo on the mess grille?

https://www.instagram.com/boss02126/