TLX Factory GT vs Aero Package Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
TLX Factory GT vs Aero Package Question

Was at a local dealer and they had a 17 TLX with the "GT" package on a white TLX. I noticed that all the spoiler adds in that package (front/back/sides) they used a black rubber weatherstripping which was very visible. It kind of makes it look less naturally part of the car. However I have not seen any pics on the forums or online that show a hint of this black weather stripping for these add ons. Does anyone out there with these optional add ons know if theirs are mounted with this black rubber around the entire edge where it attaches to the car? I think the ones at the dealer had the factory installed GT where most people have the accessory dealer added option but I want to get to the bottom of what I should expect if I have it installed as an add-on vs factory. I would rather not see the rubber seal so it has a more supposed to be there all along look.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Was at a local dealer and they had a 17 TLX with the "GT" package on a white TLX. I noticed that all the spoiler adds in that package (front/back/sides) they used a black rubber weatherstripping which was very visible. It kind of makes it look less naturally part of the car. However I have not seen any pics on the forums or online that show a hint of this black weather stripping for these add ons. Does anyone out there with these optional add ons know if theirs are mounted with this black rubber around the entire edge where it attaches to the car? I think the ones at the dealer had the factory installed GT where most people have the accessory dealer added option but I want to get to the bottom of what I should expect if I have it installed as an add-on vs factory. I would rather not see the rubber seal so it has a more supposed to be there all along look.

Don't do it, there's a flaw in the kit where the adhesive that's sticks to the car will wear out. I've had mine redone three times. It's falling off yet again and yet the dealership and Acura Client Relations will not fix it due to the warranty running out.

I strongly urge on not getting this car and the paste on kit. I have huge buyers remorse with my purchase of this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackTLXadvance:
jhb31 (03-13-2017), pyrodan007 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
It's the same stick-on pieces for both. The GT kit just bundles the à la carte aero parts into one easy to order package.

Like many on the forum, I was unimpressed by the kit's fit and finish at a couple of dealerships I visited. The adhesive is distractingly visible on red/white and there were some alignment issues on the side sills near the wheel wells.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have it installed on my white 2016. The strip you are talking about is a faint gray on my car not black. Not sure what they did. Also, the quality of your aero kit matches the quality of the installer. Its definitely an art for the install. If you want it get it. Just make sure you are up front with the dealer and let them know your expectation for a quality install. I have gotten mine adjusted once and since then I have not had any issues. However, I always keep an eye on it because the stories people tell about their experience with it is definitely true. I think I have gotten lucky so far.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the grey weatherstripping is normal...
if one is very careful with a exacto knife, one could cut away the excess
Old 03-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackTLXadvance
Don't do it, there's a flaw in the kit where the adhesive that's sticks to the car will wear out. I've had mine redone three times. It's falling off yet again and yet the dealership and Acura Client Relations will not fix it due to the warranty running out.

I strongly urge on not getting this car and the paste on kit. I have huge buyers remorse with my purchase of this car.
I had not even thought about this type of problem. Just the appearance withe how it is installed.. This definitely gives me concern and it is a shame as the look is really transformed with the kit. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IntegraVT
It's the same stick-on pieces for both. The GT kit just bundles the à la carte aero parts into one easy to order package.

Like many on the forum, I was unimpressed by the kit's fit and finish at a couple of dealerships I visited. The adhesive is distractingly visible on red/white and there were some alignment issues on the side sills near the wheel wells.
Thanks, very helpful.

Originally Posted by gatorknight904
I have it installed on my white 2016. The strip you are talking about is a faint gray on my car not black. Not sure what they did. Also, the quality of your aero kit matches the quality of the installer. Its definitely an art for the install. If you want it get it. Just make sure you are up front with the dealer and let them know your expectation for a quality install. I have gotten mine adjusted once and since then I have not had any issues. However, I always keep an eye on it because the stories people tell about their experience with it is definitely true. I think I have gotten lucky so far.
I guess going through car washes you need to maybe take a look to see if anything happened. Thought I had read evert Hong about the tlx but somehow missed the issues with the aero kit,

Originally Posted by justnspace
the grey weatherstripping is normal...
if one is very careful with a exacto knife, one could cut away the excess
Not something I would want to try on a new car. Seems the weather stripping appearance vatirs somewhat from each installer.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I skipped the aero kit and went with just the spoiler and the splash guards. See what you think, I think it looks great. Acura TL Picture by 9SpeedTran | 3926757 | AcuraZine.com

Last edited by 9SpeedTran; 03-13-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Thanks, very helpful.

I guess going through car washes you need to maybe take a look to see if anything happened. Thought I had read evert Hong about the tlx but somehow missed the issues with the aero kit,

Not something I would want to try on a new car. Seems the weather stripping appearance vatirs somewhat from each installer.
trimming away excess is easy. You're not drilling or hacking up anything.
Take a sharp knife and use steady hands.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I skipped the aero kit and went with just the spoiler and the splash guards. See what you think, I think it looks great. Acura TL Picture by 9SpeedTran 3926757 AcuraZine.com
Yours looks pretty nice. Like the optional wheels on yours as well. I have a type S now and really do like the appearance the side skirts provide (and I have never had an issue with them since new) but the tlx doesn't look right with only the side skirts and not the front and rear bumper attachments. Perhaps the 2018 comes up with better designed/durable appearance package and although not likely some performance changes as well. I have been waiting for them to come out again with a type S for years and have kind of given up hope on that. From the responses here it seems like the few that have the aero kit have had some issue or another unfortunately.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no such thing as a Factory GT Package. It is always installed by the dealer, it doesn't come from the factory that way.

The GT Package is a marketing name combing all of the spoilers. If you opt for the "GT Package", the dealer will simply and price each of the spoilers separately, its not a package.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TexanAttorney
There is no such thing as a Factory GT Package. It is always installed by the dealer, it doesn't come from the factory that way.

The GT Package is a marketing name combing all of the spoilers. If you opt for the "GT Package", the dealer will simply and price each of the spoilers separately, its not a package.
Ok, I saw three on a dealers lot for sale a couple days ago when I was trying to get an idea of what they looked like up close. I thought it was itemized on the window sticker as well. Another dealer didn't have any on the lot with the package which is why I went out further to find a place that had some to examine.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TexanAttorney

Can they even do that? I was going to say "sue them" since I seen your username lol
That's like selling a Honda accord sport but adding navigation system or something and calling it sport advance package.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Some dealers may exist, that actually price it as a GT package, but I don't know if the pricing will be any different. All the ones in Texas I spoke with simply were putting the pieces together and pricing them as separate pieces. I even contact Acura Care about the complexities, and they said a dealer can do what they like.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Ok, I saw three on a dealers lot for sale a couple days ago when I was trying to get an idea of what they looked like up close. I thought it was itemized on the window sticker as well. Another dealer didn't have any on the lot with the package which is why I went out further to find a place that had some to examine.
Any of them you see at dealers, were installed by the dealers at delivery. No factory option exists for a GT package, its a dealer installed accessory.