TLX doesn't do it for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq

Interesting. I had a 2014 Fusion Platinum as a rental for a week and my driving impression of it was far from feeling 'Germanic'. Different strokes I guess..
True that. As a former MB driver, it's kind of hard to articulate but the car felt "heavier" and more solid, and that it would go forever in the direction I pointed it. Also the ride was firm but not harsh.

In comparison my TSX feels much lighter and zippier. In that sense it definitely does not feel German, it feels Japanese!

My all-time favorite car was my 2007 3G TL. And my last several cars have been a 2012 TSX, a 2009 C300, a 2004 Mazda RX-8 (a love/hate car if there ever was one), a 2000 TL, and a 1998 CL.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
i honestly think 3g TL owners are the most delusional car owners on the planet. they think its the end all of all sport sedans. I have a 07 TL and as much as I like it imho even the 4G is a better driving experience than the 3G.
Agreed! Although, I had an 07 type S which was really stiff and bone jarring and it ate through tires like no ones business. I have a friend that has a 05 TL base. I also had a 09 SH-AWD and a now currently in a 2013. There is NO comparison of the 3G and 4G. I hated the 4G initially but after driving it, the ride and build quality was enough to pull me over. The look grew on me the day I bought the 09.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
You bring up an interesting point. There is something about leather that just makes it feel like a requirement for luxury vehicles, however, quietly it feels like more and more manufacturers are moving away from leather and cars in the $30,000 price range have "leatherette". Honestly, I want the car to look and feel the best three to five years down the line.

To me, that means whatever material is the most durable and yet still looks good. I have the TSX SE and I really don't mind that a good portion of the seats are not leather. Take a stroll over to the Auto News board and they'll tell you about how this new material is a detriment to the TLX, while they all drive Subarus and BMWs that use the same or equivalent non-leather interior.

Got Nuluxe on my IS. No choice. I really hated the thought of it. Thought it was "down market". But it's the only way Lexus could pull off their foam injection method for the seats and surprise -- it looks like new at 10K miles whereas my Acura's seats -- nice as they were -- looked pretty bad pretty quickly.

Now I feel like I'm helping the planet a little bit and again the Nuluxe looks great.
The following users liked this post:
JeffS (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
i honestly think 3g TL owners are the most delusional car owners on the planet. they think its the end all of all sport sedans. I have a 07 TL and as much as I like it imho even the 4G is a better driving experience than the 3G.
Agreed! Although, I had an 07 type S which was really stiff and bone jarring and it ate through tires like no ones business. I have a friend that has a 05 TL base. I also had a 09 SH-AWD and a now currently in a 2013. There is NO comparison of the 3G and 4G. I hated the 4G initially but after driving it, the ride and build quality was enough to pull me over. The look grew on me the day I bought the 09.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Wow! No way! Everyone loves the car they currently own? Say it isn't so!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts

What makes you think that? Sure, there are a lot of us and its by far the most active section on azine. Have you seen a 3G owner post about how their car is more advanced or sophisticated then the TLX, or any other modern luxury sport sedan for that matter?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by nttstt444
What makes you think that? Sure, there are a lot of us and its by far the most active section on azine. Have you seen a 3G owner post about how their car is more advanced or sophisticated then the TLX, or any other modern luxury sport sedan for that matter?
It seems to me that he's saying that it's the 3G owners that are complaining about the TLX not looking/being sporty enough and that the 3G was the last sporty looking TL...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It seems to me that he's saying that it's the 3G owners that are complaining about the TLX not looking/being sporty enough and that the 3G was the last sporty looking TL...

not only that, the majority of the 3g owners think theyre car is far superior to the 4g. the 4g is all around a much better car than the 3g. looks aside, which is subjective. im sure the tlx is improvement on the 4g when it comes to drive quality, acceleration and handling. so if the 4g is better driving car than the 3g and the tlx is better than the 4g, how can a 3g driver honestly say the tlx does nothing for them? its a superior car period. its called denial which is very common amongst enthusiasts. I for one am very open to change if its better. I don't live in my little box thinking whatever I own is better. its quite annoying just like 350z owners were when the 370 came out. everyone was bashing it. the 370 is every bit the car the 350z and does everything better. I still own a built and boosted 350z which I would trade straight in a heart beat for a nice stock 370z.
dysonlu (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

not only that, the majority of the 3g owners think theyre car is far superior to the 4g. the 4g is all around a much better car than the 3g. looks aside, which is subjective. im sure the tlx is improvement on the 4g when it comes to drive quality, acceleration and handling. so if the 4g is better driving car than the 3g and the tlx is better than the 4g, how can a 3g driver honestly say the tlx does nothing for them? its a superior car period. its called denial which is very common amongst enthusiasts. I for one am very open to change if its better. I don't live in my little box thinking whatever I own is better. its quite annoying just like 350z owners were when the 370 came out. everyone was bashing it. the 370 is every bit the car the 350z and does everything better. I still own a built and boosted 350z which I would trade straight in a heart beat for a nice stock 370z.
We are in the minority here, for sure.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd

There's a nuance here that should be pointed out: He likes his current car more than the ones he previously owned. That's not true to everyone.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
You're an idiot. There are tons of superior cars on the road...and I don't like a ton of them. That's not the point.

It's not denial it's preference.

There is a reason the 3G was such a success.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
As a 3G owner I disagree. When the 3G came out I thought it was hands down the best option for style(especially interior), performance(270hp) and refinement. It outclassed everyone in its category including BMW's highest trims(330i at the time) not named m3. Exterior aesthetics aside the 4G is clearly an upgrade in every way over the 3G and I expect the same for the 5G.

The problem is that acura shouldn't try to compete with itself but rather the other brands that have advanced considerably since 2003. When I bought my 3G, the only other car that came close IMO was the bimmer. G35 was underpowered and unrefined, audi was non existent unless you bought the s4, cadillac was a joke, lexus IS/altezza was a ricer mobile. Now all those cars may have surpassed acura. I get that some people will hate on the next because they have the current, but some of us are frustrated that we can't drive our car(in this case 5G) and feel like we have the best car on the road. Most of us haven't felt that way since the 3G and are hoping acura will step there game up like everyone else did.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to comment on the leather vs leatherette debate, I feel like the fake leather seats definitely do hold up better over time with less care, but I've had my tsx for just over a year and a half, and with periodic cleaning with wipes, the leather has kept in really great condition and still smells new.

When I think of luxury, especially old school Rolls and Bentley, I always equate them with the scent of really nice leather. I just feel like a luxury/premium car should have leather seats. I also think people should take care of these cars to maintain said luxury ha.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I had my M37S for 39 months and 45K miles and the leather looked as goos as day one. No wrinkles no worn spots or sags. I treated it with LeatherCPR every couple of months. Also tinted windows helps as UV is one of the biggest factors in material aging.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by White Magic
As a 3G owner I disagree. When the 3G came out I thought it was hands down the best option for style(especially interior), performance(270hp) and refinement. It outclassed everyone in its category including BMW's highest trims(330i at the time) not named m3. Exterior aesthetics aside the 4G is clearly an upgrade in every way over the 3G and I expect the same for the 5G.

The problem is that acura shouldn't try to compete with itself but rather the other brands that have advanced considerably since 2003. When I bought my 3G, the only other car that came close IMO was the bimmer. G35 was underpowered and unrefined, audi was non existent unless you bought the s4, cadillac was a joke, lexus IS/altezza was a ricer mobile. Now all those cars may have surpassed acura. I get that some people will hate on the next because they have the current, but some of us are frustrated that we can't drive our car(in this case 5G) and feel like we have the best car on the road. Most of us haven't felt that way since the 3G and are hoping acura will step there game up like everyone else did.

I can agree with your point of view when it comes to other manufacturers vehicles. I'm commenting on the OP's post about he got "nothing" out of the TLX. he wasn't comparing to bmw, lexus or audi, it was compared this 3G. most 3G owners are blinded to the fact that the looks aside the 4g and 5g are just better cars.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a 3G TL V6 with SH-AWD.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I can agree with your point of view when it comes to other manufacturers vehicles. I'm commenting on the OP's post about he got "nothing" out of the TLX. he wasn't comparing to bmw, lexus or audi, it was compared this 3G. most 3G owners are blinded to the fact that the looks aside the 4g and 5g are just better cars.
You can't say looks aside when the Acura guy said the styling killed sales. I expect they spent a lot of money to find out that gem from surveys & focus groups.

If a car is not attractive 9:10 they are not going to go for a test drive. Most people, not everyone, will not spend $40K while holding their nose over a cars looks. The car had good technology in a not so good wrapper.

Looks like they got the wrapper right in the 5G, question remains will it be enough to bring back the customers who went elsewhere & the ones sitting on their 3G's.

Acura has always sold well to the Honda family & people moving up from base transportation. That said it has had a harder time with conquest sales in the lower premium class, which it needs to turn around to get back to 3G sales levels.
lindros2 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another gripe is the lack of a center pass-through for skis. I'd happily pay for this feature. AWD cars often go to the mountains in the winter. And this is not just TLX, it's missing on all Acura vehicles.

I don't quite understand the thinking at Honda/Acura. They used to offer it.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
Another gripe is the lack of a center pass-through for skis. I'd happily pay for this feature. AWD cars often go to the mountains in the winter. And this is not just TLX, it's missing on all Acura vehicles.

Is the folding rear seat not good for that?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Is the folding rear seat not good for that?
I think the poster wants to be able to have people sit in the car (?) while he has his skis in there. It's a niche usage that most of the competitors don't have.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
Maybe loving the car they own is the reason why they bought the car!

I bought my 4G TL in 2013, years after it came out and was criticized by OTHERS for its styling, because ** I** loved the way it looks and voted with my wallet

To be fair, I really liked the 3G, as well, but I simply wasn't in the market for a sedan at that time (was enjoying my 2005 Subaru Outback XT).

Last edited by hddnav; 08-06-2014 at 10:05 PM.
a35tl (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tsxacura
When I think of luxury, especially old school Rolls and Bentley, I always equate them with the scent of really nice leather. I just feel like a luxury/premium car should have leather seats. I also think people should take care of these cars to maintain said luxury ha.
To me luxury is about lazy car ownership!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 PM
TMQ
Pro

I think the poster wants to be able to have people sit in the car (?) while he has his skis in there. It's a niche usage that most of the competitors don't have.
That's what I'm talking about. Taking my kids to ski, I'd rather have my stuff in the car. As far as I know, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Volvo, VW, Lexus, and Mazda all offer the center pass through or 40/20/40 split rear seat.

Honda used to offer the pass-through - it's a simple cut out. Nothing more practical than this feature. Now they have the nerve to not even offer 40/60 split folding seat in the Accord.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsnwbrdr
I'm going to be selling my leased TSX back to the dealership Saturday. They are getting a demo TLX (hopefully a 4 cylinder) and I hope to take it for a spin.

I won't be getting a new car for 18-24 months and right now the front runners are the TLX, and.... the Ford Fusion. I've driven the Fusion a few times, and love it for its styling and very Germanic feel.

However, I'm a 4x Acura owner and the durability and resale advantage would certainly go to the TLX. I would plan on keeping my next car for quite awhile.

Equipped the way I'd want, I'm looking at about $35K for a 4 cylinder tech vs. $31K for a Fusion SE optioned similarly to the TLX.
Had the TLX been out a year ago, I'm really not sure which I would've leased. I prefer the Fusion's interior/exterior styling and technology (MyFordTouch > the crunchy AcuraLink UI and gimmicky dual screens), but I feel that the interior would be more refined and of higher quality materials in the TLX. Tough decision. I'm eager to test drive the TLX to compare. If its important to you, resale on the TLX would most certainly be higher.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq

Interesting. I had a 2014 Fusion Platinum as a rental for a week and my driving impression of it was far from feeling 'Germanic'. Different strokes I guess..
I had the same experience. Titanium is a nice car, but "Germanic" is not an adjective I would use either.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ

I don't recall any HondAcura ever offering a pass through, but I agree it is very useful feature.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I don't recall any HondAcura ever offering a pass through, but I agree it is very useful feature.
My RL has a ski pass through.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

I see that a lot too..

I sure feel the same as you when I went from a 3G to a 4G.
I also agree. The 4G was much more luxurious, powerful, refined, sporty, menacing, although the ride was a little too harsh (sh-awd tech package and HP wheel package).
Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by White Magic

Acura definitely needs to step up. You are absolutely correct about the 3G when it launched. The car really felt like it was at the top of the sports sedan crowd. I had a 2005 and loved it. I also love my 2009 shawd tech with aero kit and HP wheel and tire package. It could use a little more power (330 would have been sweet) but the handling was ridiculous and I loved the anime Gundam robot look. Yes the over hangs were too long. Yes I know many panned it but worked for me. Seeing my car still makes me smile after all these years. But with 290 HP and 225 tires. The v6 shawd TLX looks like it will be behind the market. I hate the fact that Acura wend down on HP and tires for the highest trim level. It makes the car subjectively seem less special. The reviews on the V6 seem to agree that it's under tired. Not cool. When was the last time anyone saw the horse power on the top trim go down? Why not give us a performance hybrid TLX with less powerful version of the RLX hybrid power train. Yes I agree with many that will launch with the MCR but this launch just does not feel complete or special. I was so sure this would be my next car. I am still waiting to drive a top trim V6 Sh-awd Advanced to finalize my decision but for now I'm just underwhelmed.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
My 07 TL hase a pass through...or am I missing something?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
My 07 TL hase a pass through...or am I missing something?
My 2013 TL has a pass-through, too. Of course, no folding rear seatback, though.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Racer

I guess, typically, it's pass-through or folding rear seatbacks, not both? Any cars with both?

Anyway, just fold one seatback and have one kid sit in the center. Want more comfort? Time to buy an SUV.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
3g sh-awd?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 05Tilly
3g sh-awd?
I saw that and laughed too
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM
TMQ
Pro

Originally Posted by dysonlu
I guess, typically, it's pass-through or folding rear seatbacks, not both? Any cars with both?

Anyway, just fold one seatback and have one kid sit in the center. Want more comfort? Time to buy an SUV.
No current Acura or Honda SUVs offer center pass through or 40/20/40 split.

The 3rd gen CR-V has 40/20/40 split, and Accord had center pass through before.

If you enjoy 4-5 hr trek with 2 kids sitting really close to each other, more power to you.

I'm now looking at GTI, which has 40/60 split with center pass through, and heated cloth seats.
lindros2 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
Not every TL, TLX, 3 series, Audi S4, C/CLA is going to appeal to everyone. As an owner of several 3s, an S4, and 2-TLs, you're going to pay for things on a BMW after the warranty period that will make you speechless if you had to ever pay for something similar on any Acura. Audi is the same.

Not saying the TLS is or isn't for everyone. I had an '05 TL. It's nowhere remotely close to a 4G, let alone a TLS, IMHO.

My 3G, in comparison was loud, with a floppy suspension, a trans that pales when compared to the 4G 6-speed, and certainly to the 8DCT or 9 sp in the TLS.
+1 on the 3G being loud with a floppy suspension.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor

You bring up an interesting point. There is something about leather that just makes it feel like a requirement for luxury vehicles, however, quietly it feels like more and more manufacturers are moving away from leather and cars in the $30,000 price range have "leatherette". Honestly, I want the car to look and feel the best three to five years down the line.

To me, that means whatever material is the most durable and yet still looks good. I have the TSX SE and I really don't mind that a good portion of the seats are not leather. Take a stroll over to the Auto News board and they'll tell you about how this new material is a detriment to the TLX, while they all drive Subarus and BMWs that use the same or equivalent non-leather interior.
I was leaning towards a good quality "leatherette" in my next car for this very reason. I usually only keep a car for about 3 years so durability was never a concern. My next vehicle purchase I plan on keeping for some time and most older cars that I do see with leather, doesn't seem to have help up very well. Being that I do plan on keeping my next car for some time, I am having a hard time deciding knowing that I will have to live with my decision for some time.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Instructor

I had the same experience. Titanium is a nice car, but "Germanic" is not an adjective I would use either.
I thought the the Fusion was a nice looking car when it first came out. Now I have come to a realization the Honda/Toyota go with conservative styling. The designs tend to be timeless. The Fusion already looks dated.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Niche? Just about every European car has this - regardless of whether the rear has fold-down seats.

I was pissed when my 2004 TL and 2006 RL lacked both.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TMQ
No current Acura or Honda SUVs offer center pass through or 40/20/40 split.

The 3rd gen CR-V has 40/20/40 split, and Accord had center pass through before.

If you enjoy 4-5 hr trek with 2 kids sitting really close to each other, more power to you.

I'm now looking at GTI, which has 40/60 split with center pass through, and heated cloth seats.
I was thinking you should be able to store the skis vertically in the trunk of an SUV, without the need for pass-through or folding seatbacks. And it should still work fine if ever the kids decide they want to snowboard instead.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: TLX doesn't do it for me