TLX is CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why is being honest with opinions considered hate? The TLX looks horrible. Sure, if the previous generation is the baseline and is what comparisons are based off of then yeah it's an improvement but that's not saying much. That's setting standards pretty damn low.

To each and his own but my hard earned money is not going to fund an fugly car that has an identity crisis. Looks like a ripoff of 8 other cars consolidated into one from every angle.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My first impression, it looks like a bigger ILX with Jewel Eye Headlights. The car is nice but nothing spectacular.
I was really looking forward to it and wanted to pick one up but I guess my ZDX will be my last Acura.
I have been holding off my next purchase for this case but I will make my move tomorrow and let you guys know what I went for.

Last edited by MyBlackBeauty; 01-14-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
Well lets see you come out with a design purely viewed from the side that is economical, with a low drag coefficient and imaginative styling that you can live with on a day to day basis. Not to mention safe as well. When was it any different? Point out some models that you consider exciting and then we can talk. Until then its pointlessly finding fault.
Let me put it this way: How often do you confuse the profile of a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, or Cadillac for a) any of the others, or b) a non-luxury car positioned below it?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Superunknown
Let me put it this way: How often do you confuse the profile of a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, or Cadillac for a) any of the others, or b) a non-luxury car positioned below it?
I often get confused between the new 3 and 5 series. They almost look identical. I have many times confused an A4 for a Jetta.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by i64X

3G is a good looking design, but it's not God's gift to automotive beauty. It's a 10 year old, FWD Honda design...

I bet they'll sell a ton of these.
I think you are right on the mark. The 3G design is aging but it was one of the last good looking designs from Acura. Everything has been downhill ever since including the NSX concept car. The 4G TL was ugly but at least it was different and unique. Now they're just copying other designs which is sad. They've picked up the habits of the Korean manufacturers.... Just ripoff the designs of others.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBlackBeauty
I often get confused between the new 3 and 5 series. They almost look identical. I have many times confused an A4 for a Jetta.
Trading in your zdx??? Didnt u just get that car?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
The car looks excellent I am very impressed. I can't believe the OP made a seperate post to say its crap, what a moron. And OP, your saying this new TLX looks like crap, but you drive a 4G!?!?
exactly. he doesn't have to post a new threat just to flame the tlx even though it's not what we all expected
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll take one in white....I hope the Acura "BBK" is available as an option. Wheels look good as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I guess i must be in a very small minority because i don't think the 3G acura was all that good on the eyes, if i would put them in order for me it would be - #1 1G(more Legend), #2 5G, #3 2G, #4 4G and 5G for 5th place. IMO
Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Broad brush strokes? All. The. Time.

BMW 328i

Q50

Hyundai Genesis

MB E350

Altima Coupe

G37 (Yes, I know, both Nissan...)

RS4

Jetta (just the grille, really...)

Bottom Line:
It's all intellectual design theft on one level or another. Save for iconic designs like Corvettes where the design evolution is clear, there's only so much "newness" you can design into a mainstream vehicle while still remaining conscientious of current trends in taste. Silhouettes and macro panels are going to be similar. It's little design elements, like the TLX's sideview mirrors, that really set vehicle appearances apart in today's day and age.
The following 6 users liked this post by 121traffic:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), d1sturb3d119 (01-15-2014), Glashub (01-15-2014), hadokenuh (01-15-2014), TeamAcura (01-15-2014), VR1 (01-15-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i think its a knock out of the park, i'm very excited about the production model, and seriously see my family picking one of these up
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
To me this is all phony controversy -- the TLX looks great. Are there design elements I could quibble with? Yes. But as 121traffic said -- there are only so many designs one can do when you have factor in 4 wheels, an engine, adequate trunk space, and the fact Acura would actually like to sell a few of these things so that have to open up it's appeal.

I say wait until you see it in person. I really didn't like my 3IS 350 Fsport in pictures. Liked the Q50 in pictures better. Then I saw the Lexus in person -- whole different car when looking at it from every angle. I really like the design now. Wait till you see the TLX in person before hating on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Glashub:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-15-2014), JTS97Z28 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
even though it's not what we all expected
Speak for yourself. The car is what I expected and more. Its funny going between the 3G TLX thread and the 4G TLX thread, most of the 4G guys are disappointed for whatever reason which to me is pretty funny considering how controversial the 4G looks are. Watch, in a month or two all the guys that say the "TLX is CRAP" are gonna be drooling over the car in a short time. Thats usually how it works. As long as they dont tone the ar down significantly and offer the same wheels that were shown, this car is going to be a hit! Oh and Acura, PLEASE leave those side mirrors alone, if those are removed from the production version im going to be very upset!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JTS97Z28:
a35tl (01-15-2014), Acura_Dude (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Speak for yourself. The car is what I expected and more. Its funny going between the 3G TLX thread and the 4G TLX thread, most of the 4G guys are disappointed for whatever reason which to me is pretty funny considering how controversial the 4G looks are. Watch, in a month or two all the guys that say the "TLX is CRAP" are gonna be drooling over the car in a short time. Thats usually how it works. As long as they dont tone the ar down significantly and offer the same wheels that were shown, this car is going to be a hit! Oh and Acura, PLEASE leave those side mirrors alone, if those are removed from the production version im going to be very upset!!
I completely agree.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Terragotti
I guess i must be in a very small minority because i don't think the 3G acura was all that good on the eyes, if i would put them in order for me it would be - #1 1G(more Legend), #2 5G, #3 2G, #4 4G and 5G for 5th place. IMO

How can the 5G rank both 2nd and 5th??
The following users liked this post:
geekybiker (01-22-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
But the majority of 4G owners do like the new TLX such as myself.
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by 121traffic

BMW 328i

Q50

Hyundai Genesis

MB E350

Altima Coupe

RS4

Bottom Line:
It's all intellectual design theft on one level or another. Save for iconic designs like Corvettes where the design evolution is clear, there's only so much "newness" you can design into a mainstream vehicle while still remaining conscientious of current trends in taste. Silhouettes and macro panels are going to be similar. It's little design elements, like the TLX's sideview mirrors, that really set vehicle appearances apart in today's day and age.
Great post. So many cars look so similar nowadays. The Q50 is a Mazda6 for heaven's sake!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
My first impression, it looks like a bigger ILX with Jewel Eye Headlights. The car is nice but nothing spectacular.
I was really looking forward to it and wanted to pick one up but I guess my ZDX will be my last Acura.
I have been holding off my next purchase for this case but I will make my move tomorrow and let you guys know what I went for.
theres an ilx sitting here right in front of me now as i type this. i sell these things for a living. i see almost no similarity between the ilx and tlx.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), terdonal (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
majority of the current acura owners seem to really like the new tlx. its just i see a trend of majority of the haters be 4g owners for whatever reason.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Here ya go! The ILX!
Attached Thumbnails TLX is CRAP-acura-ilx-schwarz-sedan-stil-side-view-cars-mountains-272x480.jpg   TLX is CRAP-2014-new-acura-ilx-specification-review-6.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
majority of the current acura owners seem to really like the new tlx. its just i see a trend of majority of the haters be 4g owners for whatever reason.
I am one of those 4G TL owners and I have to say, I was disappointed in the TLX but perhaps it was due to my expectation being too high. I don't think its a bad car but I was expecting more from the styling. I wanted this thing to be jaw dropping gorgeous and I wanted this thing to break away from the beak grill. The TLX is still too conservative and bland in IMO.

As for the mechanics and tech, I have always said that I have no doubt that Acura utilize innovative and high tech, but I was always more concerned with the styling.

I don't hate the car... but at the same time, let's just say that I am not researching KBB for trade in value for my current 4G.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
....Oh and Acura, PLEASE leave those side mirrors alone, if those are removed from the production version im going to be very upset!!
Agreed. Love those mirrors, but it's hard to see, in its current iteration, how they would get them to fold in...?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Yeah I mean I guess your right there are a lot of guys that like it here, but the overall impression I got was more 3G guys like the car than 4G guys for whatever reason.
I will say I am surprised at how many guys think the car seems bland and boring. Thats kind of the opposite of what I think. To me it seems that Acura took the styling an extra step over the ILX and RLX which I think are the cars that are pretty bland. The wide stance of the wheels, the mirrors, the more aggressive headlight lines etc etc. I know its all just personal preference, but its a good lookin machine.
Right now im not necessarily dying to get the car as im not in the market and there is a lot of good competition, however if they came out with another Type S I would probably be SOLD!!! Lexus has the F sport line, Audi has the S, BMW has M, Chrysler has SRT etc etc....come on Acura bring back the Type S :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by 121traffic

BMW 328i

Q50

Hyundai Genesis

MB E350

Altima Coupe

RS4

Bottom Line:

Its called continuing the lineage. This TL is a stark diversion from its predecessor and still fits into the segment while differentiating itself from the competition. The fact is most 4 door sedans approaching from a distance look the same to me. Close up I can tell you the difference but the segment is packed and you are going to see cross over. The only way to make it that unique is to make it look like an Xbow or atom and go crazy, the result of which is the 4G.

Hell there are people complaining that the NSX looks like the R8. Where the hell are the complaints going to stop?! Especially considering the NSX was around long before the R8.

Design is a hit or miss. They've done a good job mimicking the same lines as the TL and TSX combined so good job there. They're giving consumers the most innovative tech when it comes to lighting technology. No appreciating there either. They're going to price it competitively between the TSX and TL. No thanks there either. When the hell is anyone ever going to be pleased. You either like it or you don't but don't call the styling boring when every other car in the market looks the same. Look at any conceptual rendering and this thing still has the same lines. That is the direction design is going towards. Aerodynamic, smooth and slick. Don't like it, then contribute towards design.
121traffic is right on the money.

Besides harping about exterior design you don't complain about the use of similar plastics and switches in the lower end cars versus a car you pay 50-60K for. Personally the looks fade away after a few months and all you're left with is how the car feels on the inside. Tech is a poor cover up for shitty drive feel and longevity. If the interior is well built and doesn't fall apart in a few years that is worth its weight in gold. 10 years in my 3G and it still doesn't feel dated. Not many cars can claim the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by d1sturb3d119:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), cokorote (02-17-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I owned a 3G and a 4G. If one was to do a pros and cons list of the design of the 3G, 4G, and 5G, I'd wager the 5G ill come out on top (but have to see it in person), the 3G second and the 4G last. The 4G has it's positive design attributes imo but it also has some serious miscues again imo.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the first Acura since the 1G TSX that I actually like. I'm excited about the TLX. It might get me back in the family if the price and interior are right.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mondster
Trading in your zdx??? Didnt u just get that car?
I did. 6 months ago
I like to change them frequently
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry, still CRAP

Let's see....

I've been called a Moron
an Idiot
a Hater and some other things on here.

I said it was CRAP and I stand behind that and it's not just because I just purchased my 12 TL and 12 Sportwagon (as another poster mentioned that I'm making myself feel better)

I've drove Honda products for most of my life since 1978 for that matter. I drove Honda's when it wasn't cool to own a Honda and so on so to call me a Hater is way off the mark.

I happen to love Honda products and currently have three not to mention, mower, generator and yup a weed eater Honda powered.

Right now I wouldn't give up my TL or my TSX both are GREAT cars and with all Honda products hold their value so that when I want another it's fairly easy. Normally I get a new car every two years on rotation, one goes, then the other and so on, so I don't have to justify to myself or anyone else that "mine is better than yours" as I can afford to drive pretty much anything I want (we could talk about my 911, 4 Vettes, 2 Audis, 3 Caddys, Volvo and so on) but we will just talk HONDA.

The "new" TLX other than the new drivetrain is pretty much just cookie cutter lux sedan and not much more and most likely will carry a $50k price tag (my Advance AWD was $42k OTD) so the price point is a bit high for me in this segment. I saw the new Lexus coupe, the new Caddy coupe, the Infinity special edition (that will never see a showroom) and I just expected more of my beloved Honda/Acura. Hell look at an Accord or the Accord coupe to me those have more style points than an Acura and the Fit will be all new and that will add to the Honda stable, not to mention the Civic that has seen three refreshes in the past 3 years, both coupe and sedan.

So here we are at Acura, 2 SUVs, and 3 sedans, the two SUVs are way AWSOME and if I was in the market for another CR-V I would be driving an RDX and if I needed bigger an MDX. The ILX is, what can I say an expensive Civic with not much else going for it other than toys you can't get from Honda. I was not much impressed for the $$$$ of the RDX to go from my TL to the RDX so I was hoping for the TLX to hit it out of the park on both styling and performance, and it did neither, hence the CRAP title as I was watching the unveiling.

Acura has always been the leading edge of technology and performance and now it is neither and that saddens me. Go sit in a new 14 Accord feel the surfaces, look at the interior and then ask yourself why spend $12k more for an Acura. I'm not jumping the Honda ship but most likely will go back to Honda and Accord when I feel like getting a new car but also not sure due to the excessive amounts of tech and silly screens they are putting in the cars.

To sum it up...
Moron, I've been called worse
Idiot, see above
Hater, I never hate only offer MY opinion (that also can be CRAP)
and so on...

I just expected more, more style, more performance, more choices and Acura failed to deliver for me... CRAP!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor

theres an ilx sitting here right in front of me now as i type this. i sell these things for a living. i see almost no similarity between the ilx and tlx.
Perhaps that's why you can't be objective.

Don't get me wrong, I love Acuras. Look at my current and previous car.

Just voicing my opinion. See the shape of the lights? Anyone with me?
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ILX will end up with the same lights maybe as soon as next year that will be an Acura signature front end, like BMW "angel eyes"

look at the lower, the front lip and also the rear treatment, pretty much the same in the Prototype so I'm guessing it will be about the same in the production cars
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
It's really somewhat amusing...concerning some of the comments here and how people feel. It's the same each time a new model is introduced. I'll keep it clean...opinions are like.......everyone has one! It's SUBJECTIVE! Each to their own. But, there can be some logic and common sense ( hard to come by); past ownership, many ownerships, etc. that can lead one to make a fairly accurate assessment of a new vehicle.

So, what's missing here? How about the "actual" product as it sits on the showroom floor!! Us getting to touch, feel, stand back at all angles and ponder, checking out the inside, ergonomics, and then "the drive!" THEN we will know much more about what we speak and how we feel. strippers for me....maybe you need to spend more time " at the club" since that is where you probably find your "perfections" in life!

I too have owned many, many Hondas and Acuras as well as others. Over 60...yeah not a kid anymore! One thing I have learned...no matter how much I really liked a vehicle I've owned...none...none have been perfect or everything I want in a car/suv/truck/sports car. Some have been real close. They don't make the perfect vehicle.

So, what seems to be the "arguments" here is this; just how close to "perfect" is the new TLX and how does it appeal to EVERYONE here?? LOL!! It's not...and it won't. Human nature. I know...I know....many here want to opine and stir up controversy just because the strip club is closed...do they close????.....or have no life...so hide behind behind a screen and from others bloviating about what's right and wrong with the world.

I will say this...the "prototype" TLX we are all looking at...has the optional front, rear, side "aero kit parts" just like you can get for the Accord Coupe. The TLX will not look that way unless you cough up hard cash for that look. Those 20" wheels and tires....I'll bet my first born ( adult and a cop...what do I care! LOL! ) that 20" sizing will NOT be part of the TLX V6 sedan. 18's standard and 19's optional. Best thought I can come up with based on knowing a little about the industry and Acura. I "could" get fooled...but, don't think so. Again...if I'm wrong you can have my first born. WARNING...he's a tough cop!!

If the engine sounds and "pulls hard" like the video in LA at 4:30 in the morning is showing...I'll like it a lot!!

Don't look for exh. outlets. Acura has already shown "their hand" with standardization. As in the front grill. Acuras have hidden exhaust tips/outlets now. Dont' see that changing with the TLX. I'd like a "blended in" polished, nicely shaped exh. tips in the lower valance...but, I don't see it happening.

So, as much fun as it is to read many of these comments....some pretty intelligent and well thought out....and "others" not so much.....I am more positive about the "possibilities of this new Acura" than what they are replacing...the TL and the TSX. Not that they are "bad" sedans...they are not....I currently own (2) 2013 Acuras...one is a silver TSX Spec. Ed. with "black chrome" Acura wheels...old school originals found in an Acura dealerships back room storage...the real deal.....anyway...it looks, drives great. Just want more. More torque, more lux. appointments...some growl....like my RDX when I get on it from a stop light.

So, like many here....I am anxious to get my hands on the "real TLX" as it is sold to "us." I'm interested, I may buy one...but, need to know much more than what the pictures show....and what some bloviators here have said.

TLX...you look pretty good...not perfect...but, you certainly have possibilities. Love to drive you now...but, life is a waiting game it seems. Just like our "friend" at the strip club...he'll have to wait a long time to "imagine HIS dream." LOL!!!

Take care you Acura...lovers??? Well, most of us anyway.
nore03 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by weather
^^ That is correct. The same applies to the RLX as well....

If you are going to go with a V6....I'd strongly recommend the SH-AWD.
Agreed....if you want luxury mixed with performance and handling...this will be the only way to go. IMHO! Hey weather....are you somewhat interested in the TLX? I am...read my previous message just wrote and posted a few minutes ago....got buried a little since there are so many on here now. We all surely won't know until we get our hands on it.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

ok they both have similar grilles... they do that on purpose its the signature acura thing just like bmw, mercedes, infiniti lexus....so now youre telling me the design of the headlight makes it look like an ilx....still not buying it. its like telling your wife she looks looks just like another woman you saw today cause her eyes looked similar. not even that, the color of her eyes were completely different its just the shape that was similar. (jewel eye vs projector)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Treblig
Agreed. Love those mirrors, but it's hard to see, in its current iteration, how they would get them to fold in...?
They seem to be sitting on a "shelf" and I'm sure they will fold in, but, that "shelf???" We won't know until we can get our hands on the production model. Curious too, about "collecting" dirt, bugs, etc. between the mirror and "the shelf."
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
I'll wait to see the interior, how it drives, and the tech, but I agree that the exterior does not impress. I own a TSX and a TL but Acura is pushing me away with their poor styling and lack of innovation.
I've looked at pictures over and over and it's starting to grow on me a little bit. There's a picture of the grill matching an all black TLX and it looks pretty sharp so I'll retract my statement for now and wait until I see the car first hand.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Instructor

ok they both have similar grilles... they do that on purpose its the signature acura thing just like bmw, mercedes, infiniti lexus....so now youre telling me the design of the headlight makes it look like an ilx....still not buying it. its like telling your wife she looks looks just like another woman you saw today cause her eyes looked similar. not even that, the color of her eyes were completely different its just the shape that was similar. (jewel eye vs projector)
Did I mention grill? No. I know it's their look and I like it.

I was just talking about the lights. Jewel Eye or Projector, doesn't matter, I was just talking about the shape. That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the TLX. Just my opinion. No one has to agree with me. I was curious if anyone else thought so.

You sell Acuras and it's natural to be defensive

I have had people tell me that my ZDX looks like a Crosstour. I don't see it. Maybe they do and that's OK.

Last edited by MyBlackBeauty; 01-15-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Did I mention grill? No. I know it's their look and I like it.

I was just talking about the lights. Jewel Eye or Projector, doesn't matter, I was just talking about the shape. That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the TLX.

I have had people tell me that my ZDX looks like a Crosstour. I don't see it. Maybe they do and that's OK.
My wife has a Crosstour and I certainly don't see a ZDX anywhere near it! Just goes to show that not everyone sees things the same way.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
My wife has a Crosstour and I certainly don't see a ZDX anywhere near it! Just goes to show that not everyone sees things the same way.
Thank you
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
5th was supposed to be 3G, my fault, late nite shit talking, lol

Originally Posted by a32tl
How can the 5G rank both 2nd and 5th??
a35tl (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
First impression was back, sides, and headlines are perfect - but the very center of the front end caused slight reluctance. . . Still excited. Then I saw the photoshopped body color-matched beak on another thread - in black - and MY GOD almost creamed my pants, that is elite as fuck. With that mod there can be no hesitation, going to be the perfect car.

Quick Reply: TLX is CRAP