TLX 4 or 6 cylinder? Also a tire question

Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Vancouver Island BC

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
TLX 4 or 6 cylinder? Also a tire question

I placed a deposit on a TLX yesterday - 4 or 6 not in the dealership in interior color I wanted. Need to let them know which I want, 4 or 6 cylinder.

It's late November and I am reading about possible issues with the 4 cylinder. Does the 6 also have issues? Did the software update fix any of these?

I have been an Acura owner since 1997 and currently have an MDX. My first Acura, also a first year entry, went 389 000 KM without a major problem. I just am leary about the number of owners that have expressed there may be a tranny issue with the 4 cylinder, 8 speed.

Also I live in a rain forest area, very little if any snow, if any in winter. Should I ask to have Good Year tires changed to Michelin?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Depends if you are deciding I-4/tech or V-6/base for the same price. There not a big enough difference in combined mpgs to pick one over the other to save at the pump. You can never have too much power in a vehicle; but, you can always have too little. That is the only complaint in my TSX is it is just under powered; but, an excellent car every place else. With the speed limit being 75 mph in the southwest, I spend a lot time i-vtec'ing, sport mode, and my foot to the floor merging on the hwy or passing when driving the TSX. Not as much with the RDX turbo and MDX V-6 power plants.

Much easier to drive a vehicle with more power than less.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis1
I placed a deposit on a TLX yesterday - 4 or 6 not in the dealership in interior color I wanted. Need to let them know which I want, 4 or 6 cylinder.

It's late November and I am reading about possible issues with the 4 cylinder. Does the 6 also have issues? Did the software update fix any of these?

I have been an Acura owner since 1997 and currently have an MDX. My first Acura, also a first year entry, went 389 000 KM without a major problem. I just am leary about the number of owners that have expressed there may be a tranny issue with the 4 cylinder, 8 speed.

Also I live in a rain forest area, very little if any snow, if any in winter. Should I ask to have Good Year tires changed to Michelin?
I have a late October production, have no issues with the transmission on the 4, and in the test drives I felt it had a balance I preferred to the 6. The 6 has some posters with transmission questions, too. It may be worth looking at the 30 minute Alex on Autos video to watch his explanation, which may help you decide. The transmissions are both new to Acura, and new for the most part to the industry, but have distinct goals and advantages.

Tires--Goodyears are OK so far, quiet. Michelins are nearly always good. Read Tire Rack, and you'll see customer ratings.

Last edited by jim256; 11-28-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by jim256
I have a late October production, have no issues with the transmission on the 4, and in the test drives I felt it had a balance I preferred to the 6. The 6 has some posters with transmission questions, too. It may be worth looking at the 30 minute Alex on Autos video to watch his explanation, which may help you decide. The transmissions are both new to Acura, and new for the most part to the industry, but have distinct goals and advantages.

I agree with jim256. I don't know that there are any real issues with either transmission other than people getting accustomed to a completely different feeling from a tranny. The video he references would definitely help inform you better.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
The DCT has some low-speed jerkiness that appears to have been helped with a software update. The 9AT has a hard 2-3 shift which has yet to be addressed (Acura is aware of the issue).

I can say that in my V6 I am very annoyed by VCM which I can always feel when it's engaged in the form of a vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I had my wife's car in for service today and had a new RDX as a loaner and I couldn't detect VCM at all (and believe me I was feeling for it). Very frustrating, it can be done properly apparently. If you ask me today I think I'd rather have the 4 cyl.

Last edited by jeich182; 11-28-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I would get the V6 over a non-turbo 4. IMHO the N/A 4's power is to light for the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
The Honda V-6's are well engineered motors. It's way too early on to predict the reliability of their new trannys. Can only hope and wish for the best. But, who really knows just yet ?

The V-6 is a nice balance of power to the TL, especially now that fuel prices are considerably lower than a few years ago. So, for all the more savings in fuel costs, get the V-6 and don't look back !!! If ya don't get into the VTEC, it'll probably match the 4 cyl's mpg.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:40 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
My prior bet was on the 4, but now I'd prefer the 6.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:54 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Just purchased a TLX Tech with the 4cyl engine, drove both power-plants over the past two weeks and found the 4cyl more responsive when pared with the 8speed tranny. The V-6 with the 9speed seemed slow, lurching, and ponderous. The use of the ECON mode during my daily drive yielded some impressive MPGs. Spoke to the service manager today about any issues seen in the small population reference the power plants and he stated he was not aware of any. Hope the feedback assists in your decision making.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I have a V6 SH-AWD and it is not "slow, lurching and ponderous", I find it planted, powerful and rides like it was on rails.
The following 2 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
a35tl (11-30-2014), Stew4HD (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I have a V6 SH-AWD and it is not "slow, lurching and ponderous", I find it planted, powerful and rides like it was on rails.
I share this experience too. I found the V6 SH-AWD to be smooth, quiet and powerful. When I test drove the 4 cylinder, it was a nice vehicle with a more athletic transmission. However, the V6 was still faster and much, much more refined. To me, it was a no-brainer and I did not even consider the 4 cylinder once after the test drive. The V6 also allows you to get the Advance/Elite trim which has all the toys that I wanted... :-) I have been loving my V6 SH-AWD since. It all depends on what you value the most.

Last edited by ostrich; 11-29-2014 at 05:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ostrich:
a35tl (11-30-2014), Stew4HD (11-29-2014), Warrior 6 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I had not heard that kind of feedback about the V6 from anyone else either. .. slower than the i4? *shrug*
Old 11-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
This is the one question where, in my mind, if you're asking you should be buying the V6. The i4 people know who they are from the start IMO.
The following 4 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (11-30-2014), Gen4MDX (11-28-2016), Warrior 6 (11-29-2014), wlkeel (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
yep, if you to get the V6 TLX, i'd fork over $2k more for the SH-AWD version of it.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought the 4 cyl tech, and amazed at those who say it's underpowered. If you need more "snap" than it has, you drive in a different world than I do.
Accelerating into traffic is simply not an issue, and it has all kind of passing power.
As most of us drive mainly on divided highways, or in cities at reduced speed, the value of a "road rocket" escapes me. I had a BMW M roadster for many years, all kinds of power, and it was never needed unless I was driving in a fashion that I'd consider unsafe. It was fun to let the horses loose, but it grows old after the second or third ticket!..)

It's over 9 thousand more going from the V4 tech to an AWD advance....that simply is not even the same car in my mind.

This car to me was exactly what I was looking for....very comfortable, full of tech, great ride, quite as a church on Monday morning, and a very fine auto stereo.

And that's what I believe Acura was trying to design.

For me , they designed almost the ideal car....

AWD in the Northern winters , to me, seems to just make people think they can drive like it's a summer day...always laugh a bit when I see an AWD in the snowbank...like studded tires it gives a false sense of security.

Maybe I've finally grown up, and the thrill isn't as important anymore, but from my perspective, the 4 Cyl is a gem.
YMMV, of course..))

Good luck with your choice...it's a great car, whatever way you choose..enjoy it....
The following 3 users liked this post by maxdog:
Gen4MDX (11-28-2016), Quandry (11-29-2014), Warrior 6 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the advanced 6 cyl paws with Bridgestone tires living in the Long Island region of New York. So far since taking the car in September there are no known issues? I have to take care of the updates for the nav and radio once it goes in for the first oil change.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by maxdog
If you need more "snap" than it has, you drive in a different world than I do. Accelerating into traffic is simply not an issue, and it has all kind of passing power.

As most of us drive mainly on divided highways, or in cities at reduced speed, the value of a "road rocket" escapes me. I had a BMW M roadster for many years, all kinds of power, and it was never needed unless I was driving in a fashion that I'd consider unsafe. It was fun to let the horses loose, but it grows old after the second or third ticket!..)
This is so true. I got the V6 as I wanted the extra bells and whistles and this was not available with the I4. I drive in Econ mode most of the time and have not problem accelerating from an on ramp to merge with highway traffic or overtaking on the highway. My days of being first out at the traffic lights are long gone, and I now enjoy the finer features of the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I love driving my I4 on smooth, mostly dry, sunny roads.

If I lived in snow country, I probably would have moved, or got the SH-AWD.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ Most of us have a choice on where we live and sometimes it is a compromise. Snow country is not bad if you are suitably prepared. Then again there is snow and there is cold (serious cold), two different things.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I'd take the cold ANY DAY over the snow! If I could get an entire with no snow on the ground and -30c....I'd take it! I hate the slop, the mess, the salt and sand they put on the road.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I set out to buy the 4 cylinder tech (never owned a 6) and thought with the 8 speed DC/TC tranny that it was perfect for me. However, I wanted SSM with grey leather, but that package was nowhere to be found. They had a V6 SHAWD Tech and after driving it, I leased after negotiating a good deal. Although I would have stayed with the I4 if available, i must say the V6 is a pleasure to drive….and with winter conditions here in spades, it feels very planted even without snow tires. It will cost me about $300 in gas per year, but given the traction AND the buttery smooth engine, I am very very happy. At the end of the day, both engines and trannies are excellent, so go with what fits your budget and needs. My 182 hp Altima SL cruises just fine on the highway at 75. As a caution, I am not sure I would go with the 6 without the SH-AWD.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Beats me why anyone would buy the V6 and then strangle it in ECO mode. though the V6 does sound very nice. Both trannies are new but Chrysler has had many issues with the zf unit. Just saying. The conventional shifter on the 4 is something I prefer, and simpler. Bad anough leaving a manual shifter...
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
As a caution, I am not sure I would go with the 6 without the SH-AWD.
I am ok with the rest of your post, but not this last part which is either misleading or requires a qualification. There is minimal benefit of an AWD to an "everyday" driver in location that does not have snow, and a FWD with winter tires does very well in conditions with moderate snow. In fact I would take a FWD with winter tires over an AWD with All Season. Yes SH-AWD with winter tires is the best but that does not fit all budget.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
There is minimal benefit of an AWD to an "everyday" driver in location that does not have snow
Most reviewers who have driven SH-AWD (and understand how it works, i.e., you need to accelerate through turns) have raved about its surefooted handling. For example, the original C&D review from the Acura rollout in Virginia. That's certainly why I bought it, and the fact that that same surefootedness extends to inclement weather is an added bonus.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by a77
Beats me why anyone would buy the V6 and then strangle it in ECO mode.
Maybe because it works, and the I4 does not come in an Elite model! There is no urgency to get up to 60 kph on side streets, merging into slow traffic, or cruising on a 6 lane highway at ~110 kph. Beats my why anyone would buy a $130K AMG for normal driving in the city.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:31 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
Maybe because it works, and the I4 does not come in an Elite model! There is no urgency to get up to 60 kph on side streets, merging into slow traffic, or cruising on a 6 lane highway at ~110 kph. Beats my why anyone would buy a $130K AMG for normal driving in the city.
Fair enough. Just every Honda/acura I have driven in econ feels like a parachute has deployed. And I don't believe it makes a significant mpg boost for most drivers. For a given speed/acceleration you need a specific amount of fuel. Econ retards throttle response, backs off a/c, slackens cruise control and lowers shift points. Meh... Average gas mileage savings is 6%...some more...some (I'd say most) none. But if you like it, and many people use it all the time, fine. Might also improve winter snowy road driveability but not expressly designed so.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
I chose the 2.4 and very happy with it. First it is less expensive then the V6 but offers a better tranny and is better balanced IMO due to the lighter weight over the front. I think I would love the SH-AWD but that is a whole different budget. Face it the 2.4 is quick, quiet, looks great and is a great value for the money. I prefer actually having a stick and not a button tranny console, actually my wife refused to even consider the v6 due to this. Test drive both in a variety of conditions, but make sure you test drive like you would actually drive it in real life. I love the DCT it is that good. Also for those people that are trying to say oh the 3.5 is pretty much the same as the 2.4 FE are trying to make it sound like they are the same are just basing it on the EPA fuel rating. It is all about how you drive. If you are doing mostly hwy and a certain speed then they can be close but do a lot of city/urban driving then it changes, and certainly having a lead foot changes that as well. Fuel prices are low so maybe not even a consideration. The 2.4 will be more economical in pretty much every way, from service to fuel to tires though.

Bottomline whatever you choose I wish you good luck, 3.5 gets you the nice fat torque and the 2.4 is the better value, better balanced. I think if you do not care about the Tech features including real perforated leather and are dying for the V6 and have the cheese then maybe the 3.5 base is the way to go. No matter what all of us tell you it is all about the seat of your pants and your budget. Heck if I had the money, no kids, I would likely be driving a Porsche Cayman :-)

I am coming from a TSX and I chose to get a 2.4+Tech, perfect size right price and I do not feel like I am hammered by monthly bills to pay this baby off. I think if you are coming from a TL+shawd I can see where I would feel the need for that fat torque.

Good luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by brutustlx:
Gen4MDX (11-28-2016), maxdog (12-01-2014), tlxsteve (12-01-2014), Warrior 6 (12-01-2014)