TL SH-AWD vs. Q50 AWD vs. IS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
The IS 350 F sport have a huge road presence. I don't know if that matters to hardcore car fans that post on the forums, but it really matters to the general car buying population.

I really like the TLX and the Q50. But let's be honest here.

You put a IS 350 F SPORT alongside a TLX and a Q50? The average person will immediately say the IS 350 F SPORT is the much more 'expensive looking' and 'flashy' looking car. It's not even bias but truth. Lexus have done a great job recently of making their already expensive sedans look even more so.

Look at the RC 350 F Sport. That can easily pass for a 70,000 dollar car.

The TLX is really a well build machine and I can see why it's selling so well(hopefully it can increase sales even further) but Lexus have build a big time winner with the 350 F SPORT. I would have to go with that over the TLX/Q50. The only thing I'm debating right now is if I should get a C300 to replace my A4 or a IS350/RC COUPE.

I was originally going with the TLX but my Mom decided she was going to get one so I changed my mind lol.
The following users liked this post:
4WDrift (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Now in terms of driving dynamics? I am not sure because I never drove a TLX SH AWD.

Acura could very well build a better driving car than Lexus. The 335i is probably a better performer than the IS 350 F SPORT(although numerous reviews put the IS first). I am speaking from a pure physical standpoint. In terms of looks ,I prefer Lexus's new look and styles. Aggressive and flashy.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong
The IS 350 F sport have a huge road presence. I don't know if that matters to hardcore car fans that post on the forums, but it really matters to the general car buying population.

You put a IS 350 F SPORT alongside a TLX and a Q50? The average person will immediately say the IS 350 F SPORT is the much more 'expensive looking' and 'flashy' looking car. It's not even bias but truth. Lexus have done a great job recently of making their already expensive sedans look even more so.

The TLX is really a well build machine and I can see why it's selling so well(hopefully it can increase sales even further) but Lexus have build a big time winner with the 350 F SPORT. I would have to go with that over the TLX/Q50. The only thing I'm debating right now is if I should get a C300 to replace my A4 or a IS350/RC COUPE.

I was originally going with the TLX but my Mom decided she was going to get one so I changed my mind lol.
It is like comparing from apple to orange to me between TLX, IS and Q50.
My brother has IS 350 F Sport. Its a great car but it is not tech packed like TLX and Q50. Also inside is noticeably small (but big improvement over last generation)

The 'best' car would be buyer's preference I think.
The following 2 users liked this post by yooin14:
ITdude (11-14-2014), Stew4HD (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong

To me, the IS350 looks flashy, but expensive looking? Definitely not for me.

I thought the Q50 looks more expensive. It looks more like a mid-size luxury sedan that can compete with 5 series and the likes.

I`m also not sure about the RC350 looking like a $70k car. When I think of a $70k car, I think of the Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Boxter and Cayman, Audi RS5 and A7, Tesla S, M3, Corvette Z51, C63 AMG, Alfa Romeo 4C, 5 series, E Class, etc. Unfortunately, for me, the RC350 doesn`t even come close (understandably) to those cars when it comes to styling.
Monte TLS,MAX (11-14-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:27 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
If comparing the IS 350 F sport.... you need to up the ante to the Q50S AWD

I would have to say, the TLX is no match for 350 F sport or Q50S

If you were to compare base model, to base model, to base model.... TLX would win.

Q50s is a pretty rad car. My biggest complaint was the 10 recalls I've had, numerous flat tires (RFT = crap) and the Radio interface is TERRIBLE when browsing MP3s. Everything else is two thumbs up. Car drives great, fast, comfy, and very sexy

After a long stint of being away from Acura, when my Q50S lease is up in September, I may be coming back to the Acura family.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Q50s is a pretty rad car. My biggest complaint was the 10 recalls I've had, numerous flat tires (RFT = crap) and the Radio interface is TERRIBLE when browsing MP3s. Everything else is two thumbs up. Car drives great, fast, comfy, and very sexy

After a long stint of being away from Acura, when my Q50S lease is up in September, I may be coming back to the Acura family.
10 recalls? Even if they were for small things, that is a staggering number!

The Q50 was just knocked by consumer reports due to below average reliability, and is not one of their recommended vehicles like most of the rest of the line is. For a Japanese manufacturer where reliability is a corner stone, that's a pretty bad blow. I'm sure with some more time they will fix the bugs, but it is a rare misstep. You're lucky you leased.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
10 recalls? Even if they were for small things, that is a staggering number!

The Q50 was just knocked by consumer reports due to below average reliability, and is not one of their recommended vehicles like most of the rest of the line is. For a Japanese manufacturer where reliability is a corner stone, that's a pretty bad blow. I'm sure with some more time they will fix the bugs, but it is a rare misstep. You're lucky you leased.
That reliability knock is bs. Its mostly because of the in touch fiasco which is a minor issue. My only problem I have with in touch is my back up lines don't show for 90 seconds.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kense
That reliability knock is bs. Its mostly because of the in touch fiasco which is a minor issue. My only problem I have with in touch is my back up lines don't show for 90 seconds.
Minor issue for you or not, their recommendations or lack thereof is a big issue. Besides in touch, they also got dinged in the suspension/steering area. In this segment, one selling point for the Japanese imports over the Germans is reliability, and many people follow their recommendations closely. If the TLX doesn't do well with them after the first year, it will be a major black eye.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Interestingly even though the Q and IS were intro'd at the same time and even though the Q trumps the IS in tech -- I see IS's all over the place -- and very few Q's. I kid you not.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Mr. Hyde....I agree, it will be interesting Acura's reliability ratings in teh next year or so given some of these problems being reported. If consumers fill the survey and indicate many problems, that could come back and bite them. Acura's strength has always been reliability and well priced for the features you get (compared to the Germans). Although Acura nailed the price and technology combo, they are experiencing some growing pains with the TLX....hopefully these will be short lived and addressed ASAP for their sake.

Glashub...I agree with you, where I live, Infiniti are as rare as the hair on my head, while Lexus are as common as the hair in my ... (lol)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Lets' forget about the German cars for a moment and lets compare these three Japanese cars.

Which of these 3 cars would you consider if you are in the market to buy one?
Which of these 3 cars offer best value?

*It's a fair comparison, all of them are the latest model of Acura, Infiniti and Lexus

Please don't be biased, I know we are here with most of Acura's fans but be honest

I can't edit the title, I meant TLX.
Based on my very first post, I asked which car would you consider? I know some people went off topic. But after reading many other posts and watching videos, I can say people are going in the following direction:

1. Lexus (sportier and more aggressive look and of course Lexus name)
2. TLX (amazing pricing strategy, quiet cabin and lots of features)
3. Q50 (so far nothing, except the 328HP)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Based on my very first post, I asked which car would you consider? I know some people went off topic. But after reading many other posts and watching videos, I can say people are going in the following direction:

1. Lexus (sportier and more aggressive look and of course Lexus name)
2. TLX (amazing pricing strategy, quiet cabin and lots of features)
3. Q50 (so far nothing, except the 328HP)
The lease on my BMW 328i xdrive is up in 6 months. I am leaning toward the Lexus IS or the TLX.

I am nervous about the size of the lexus interior as it feels pretty tight...but the threads of hard shifts and transmission issues worry me about TLX.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I understand concerns about IS. I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs. I really enjoy the interior and the minimal movement it takes to reach all controls. I don't feel cramped. It is a car that puts driver 1st. Be aware the seating position is low and that affects getting in and out. But once car is dialed in -- a great driving car.
Toddo627 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I concur....the seating position is quite amazing once you set it to meet your preference. The only thing I didn't appreciate is that I like to sit quite high and pushing the seat to its higher setting pushes the headrest against the roof liner. I just keep it a hair below the liner and it is simply amazing to drive and the position of the center console and accessibility to the gear shifter is unbelievable...I am about 85lbs less than you that being said
Toddo627 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Minor issue for you or not, their recommendations or lack thereof is a big issue. Besides in touch, they also got dinged in the suspension/steering area. In this segment, one selling point for the Japanese imports over the Germans is reliability, and many people follow their recommendations closely. If the TLX doesn't do well with them after the first year, it will be a major black eye.
What steering issue? The fact some magazine reviewers dont like DAS has nothing to do with reliability. Germans will always be less reliable because their reliability issues actually affect the car, it's not even the same level of issues.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
The DAS steering was the major issue i ran into. 2 or 3 times, my steering COMPLETELY shut down, while driving. It was like driving a 1950 Buick, since it has a manual back up clutch

Also, after car washes, the DAS will align all the way to one side. So the car pulls very harshly to one side, until it resets on its own, or you do a series of gestures to reset it

I had my steering recalled 2x
InTouch recalled at least 2x
Airbags were recalled
Something about a battery cover or terminal

Maybe it wasn't 10 times total, but it was enough to be an inconvenience.

Other than that, I will say, the car is incredible. Handles amazing. Power is decent, but not as good as my last supercharged Audi. Way better power than Acura

Very sexy body lines (especially on the Q50S), AWD is a good system, car is comfy.

I drove the IS350, way too small for a tall guy like (6'2 200). Didn't like the driving dynamics either
Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
That's interesting, as the IS has been rated highly for its driving dynamics.

But boy that many recalls, that sounds annoying considering your car is quite new!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kense
What steering issue? The fact some magazine reviewers dont like DAS has nothing to do with reliability.
The issues that CR reported from all the data that they compiled much like the issues the poster right under you listed.

As you stated that has nothing to do with preferences, likes or dislikes, but actual problems.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Every Q50 do not have those issues, I don't have those issues. The ones that did have that lived in cold climates. I'm in California so it doesn't affect me. Also they did an recall and corrected it.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The issues that CR reported from all the data that they compiled much like the issues the poster right under you listed.

As you stated that has nothing to do with preferences, likes or dislikes, but actual problems.
Only some early Q50 did have some issues...for example the dreaded slowness in the InTouch infotainment system has been already resolved with a 45 minutes dealer service....
Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Only some early Q50 did have some issues...for example the dreaded slowness in the InTouch infotainment system has been already resolved with a 45 minutes dealer service....
If you say so, but CR, not myself has given the Q50 black circles in those 2 areas based on their data collection.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
If you say so, but CR, not myself has given the Q50 black circles in those 2 areas based on their data collection.
I think because of the early complains/issues.....probably next year the Q50 will score much better.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Q's steering or TLX brakes. First year anything can be spotty in places that will be cleared in the long run. Its a good plan to pass over any first year model & skip the mass beta test phase.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Q's steering or TLX brakes. First year anything can be spotty in places that will be cleared in the long run. Its a good plan to pass over any first year model & skip the mass beta test phase.
TLX Brakes? Is there a recall for them? A TSB? or are you just spreading more FUD?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Bought 1st year IS. Flawless! I agree it's a good idea to pass over 1st year when it comes to German cars. Mercedes CLA! (Cant Last Anymore)
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Q's steering or TLX brakes.
TLX Brakes? Have you now resorted to making up information to slam a you have never even driven??? How sad....Well whatever it takes I guess to make yourself feel better.
Stew4HD (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

TLX Brakes? Have you now resorted to making up information to slam a you have never even driven??? How sad....Well whatever it takes I guess to make yourself feel better.
Maybe he read somewhere that someone heard that someone had read something about the TLX brakes are bad.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 Acura TLX Road Test | Edmunds.com

2015 Acura TLX Review - Road Test / Track Test - Road & Track
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Opinions, not recall or TSB. I sure don't see any A-Zine owners talking about it, do you?

I just want things to be factual, not mere opinions, ESPECIALLY when it comes to brakes. Bear is making it sound like there is a serious issue. If that was the case, there would be a lot more said about it instead of "they don't feel ...." Why only those 2? If there was a real problem, every reviewer would be talking/writing about it, I'd think.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
is350 > *
Old 11-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest problem with the TLX is the understeer. Even with SH-AWD, it pushes in the corners during my test drive. Steering is way too light too even in Sport mode.

The Lexus IS understeers a little too but they got the steering, exterior looks and ride comfort right.

Infiniti Q50 chassis is oversteer bias just like a sports car. Very fun chassis which can be harsh and stiff sometimes. I actually like their DAS. Very direct and lightning fast even if there's no "feel".
Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Opinions, not recall or TSB. I sure don't see any A-Zine owners talking about it, do you?

I just want things to be factual, not mere opinions, ESPECIALLY when it comes to brakes. Bear is making it sound like there is a serious issue. If that was the case, there would be a lot more said about it instead of "they don't feel ...." Why only those 2? If there was a real problem, every reviewer would be talking/writing about it, I'd think.
Here's another source for you. Of course it's only opinions, not a faulty issue, which I don't think Bear even mentioned it. Maybe you took it in a wrong way, and obviously you don't see from other A/Zine owners. It's like a cult in here man.
http://www.caranddriver.com/acura/tlx
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vhtran
Here's another source for you. Of course it's only opinions, not a faulty issue, which I don't think Bear even mentioned it. Maybe you took it in a wrong way, and obviously you don't see from other A/Zine owners. It's like a cult in here man.
Acura TLX Reviews - Acura TLX Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER
WOW, imagine that, a "cult" in an Acura TLX fan site? Sorry, it just seems odd that you'd think it was odd. Try going to ClubLexus and say anything negative about any model.. same with DriveAccord.

If there was an issue with the brakes as has been mentioned, there would be a post in the Issues section from someone.

As for taking Bear's comments the wrong way?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
WOW, imagine that, a "cult" in an Acura TLX fan site? Sorry, it just seems odd that you'd think it was odd. Try going to ClubLexus and say anything negative about any model.. same with DriveAccord.

If there was an issue with the brakes as has been mentioned, there would be a post in the Issues section from someone.

As for taking Bear's comments the wrong way?
I have been to a lot of car forums and pretty much everyone has a fair share of loyalties. However, the more prestige car forums, the more matures you will see. Not sure how to make sense there but I assume you know what I meant.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

This is so ludicrous that it is actually funny.

Saying that systems are having so many issues that CR tags them, and the vehicle as unreliable is not even close to being the equivalent of saying the TLX brakes are not fit for the track. People implying they are the same are either intentionally trying to misdirect, or just need to have their heads examined.

Fact of the matter, none of the cars in this thread belong anywhere beyond the parking lot of any track. Whether the brakes fade to nothingness after 3/4 lap vs 1 3/4 laps on a track is completely irrelevant as they all suck at that task period. It's also completely irrelevant to the people looking at these cars.

Even M3s, RS cars, etc should have their pads swapped for track duty. My RS has 8 piston Brembos up front, but the stock pads are not ideal for track use, and should be swapped unless you were just looking for an excuse to change them.

I get that some of you have a hard on for bashing the TLX, but this is really desperate almost.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 11-19-2014 at 05:16 PM.
a35tl (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
imho there are two types of issues -

Reliability issues are ones that in my mind I define as either safety issues - such as the recent Takata airbag issue or issues which prevent the car from doing its intended job - getting from point A to point B. If the car leaves me on the side of the road due to a defect (e.g. 2G TL / CL transmission issue) - then I would say it is a reliability issue. Any recalls which the NHSTA are interested in - which are generally safety issues would fall in this category too.

The second type of issue is one that is irritating but doesn't prevent me from getting from point A to B or is not a serious safety issue. I'm not a Q50 owner or familiar with any of the recalls that have been referenced - but if we're talking a navigation slowness issue that is being fixed by a firmware update - do you really consider that a reliability issue? Personally, I wouldn't - the car is still able to get me to my destination. Irritating - yes, and perhaps if I knew about the issues I wouldn't buy the car - but I think I'd prefer to buy a car with no issues preventing me from getting to where I want to go - but a navigation issue versus one that leaves me stranded on the side of the road.

I also personally think Honda and Acura have a bad habit of undersizing their brakes in general (not counting the brembos on the 3G TL). Not saying there is anything particularly wrong with the brakes that you'd say it is a defect or reliability issue - but undersized brakes isn't just about brake fade at the track - undersized brakes increase your stopping distance, can cause warped rotors, and in general require you to replace your brake pads / rotors more often.

I'm not a brake expert - maybe the TLX brakes are sized just fine, it is just my opinion that generally the brakes seem undersized on Hondas and Acuras.

Maybe I'm just hard on my brakes - but my 2G TL always had brake issues (vibrations on braking).
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver said in their review the brakes had bad fading.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by chris2k5
Car and Driver said in their review the brakes had bad fading.
Don't confuse the readers with opinions by professional testers. Long stopping distances have nothing to do with track day & everything to do with smacking someone on the street during a panic stop.

Edmunds which is not noted for flogging its test cars even had fade on the initial stop.

So far every road test I read has mentioned long stopping distances & brake fade. Its not a new story. In the famous compare road test of 2010 they had to rest the TL 4G after every lap to have the brakes cool while the other 3 cars kept rolling along.

They typically have had longer than average stopping distance on the first stop. For guys buying a grocery getter no big deal but one shot then fade sets in is not the sign of a quality braking system.

A very very very small amount of research on this forum will uncover rocking brake issues on stops. Maybe not a big deal to some but an annoyance that had a discussion about it.

Its certainly something that can be eliminated without much effort on Honda's part

At one time Acura had high quality brakes that were the optional Brembo’s on the 3G.

Stew its more than those two reviews do a search. As for a TSB how many years did it take to get the TSB for the 6MT? Did it take losing a class action suit to get the 5AT addressed?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-19-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
This is so ludicrous that it is actually funny.

Saying that systems are having so many issues that CR tags them, and the vehicle as unreliable is not even close to being the equivalent of saying the TLX brakes are not fit for the track. People implying they are the same are either intentionally trying to misdirect, or just need to have their heads examined.

Fact of the matter, none of the cars in this thread belong anywhere beyond the parking lot of any track. Whether the brakes fade to nothingness after 3/4 lap vs 1 3/4 laps on a track is completely irrelevant as they all suck at that task period. It's also completely irrelevant to the people looking at these cars.

Even M3s, RS cars, etc should have their pads swapped for track duty. My RS has 8 piston Brembos up front, but the stock pads are not ideal for track use, and should be swapped unless you were just looking for an excuse to change them.

I get that some of you have a hard on for bashing the TLX, but this is really desperate almost.
I agree! Seriously! Some of the members here spend more time on the TLX forum bashing the TLX even though they don't even own the car. We get it, you don't like the car, move on already. Most of us like the car so stop trying so hard to bash it. No one gives a crap. It's getting so annoying.
a35tl (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
I agree! Seriously! Some of the members here spend more time on the TLX forum bashing the TLX even though they don't even own the car. We get it, you don't like the car, move on already. Most of us like the car so stop trying so hard to bash it. No one gives a crap. It's getting so annoying.
It's general discussion and the thread is other AWDs vs SH-AWD. Until it veered off course with SH-AWD is top. No one is bashing the TLX, just pointing out some of the flaws or not.

Last edited by vhtran; 11-20-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Quick Reply: TL SH-AWD vs. Q50 AWD vs. IS350 AWD