Three months in the TLX A-Spec (long)

Old 10-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Three months in the TLX A-Spec (long)

I have had my A-Spec now just over 3 1/2 months. I hit 3000 miles earlier this week. Still enjoying the car. I rotate it for daily duty with my CTS-V wagon and on nice Thursdays/Fridays, my NSX. Here are a few random comments about the experience so far.

Fuel economy is 22-23 mpg per tank in my mixed driving of 60% city, 40% highway, and heavy throttle foot. I am gettin, on average, around 300 miles a tank. I filled up today at 336.8 miles, a record. On freeway runs from my house into downtown Cleveland, which is a 300-foot drop in elevation over 18 miles, I can achieve as much as 34 mpg for the trip. Travelling the other way to my home, the highway fuel economy drops to as little as 26 mpg. Overall, I am more satisfied with the fuel economy in the TLX than in my previous RLX Sport Hybrid--I never once had a single tank that was even close to the EPA guidance. I'll revisit the fuel economy when the Cleveland area makes a change to winter blend fuel in about three weeks. That drops fuel economy as much as 25% for me. My car is an outside car, so I may invest in an engine block heater. We'll see how it goes before I spend the cash on that.

Interior: My favorite features are the steering wheel and the adjustable thigh support. The steering wheel is nice and beefy right at 3 and 9 o'clock, with a comfortable thumb rest. This makes the wheel very comfortable to hold even though I have large hands with long fingers. The thigh support is still useful for me because I have long thighs. Very comfortable for intermediate trips (no long road trips yet). Soft touch materials are wherever you actually touch/interact with the car. Hard touch plastics are where you don't (i.e. lower doors, kick panels, sides of center console. In the RLX, no hard touch plastics. I love the headrests still--they are nicely shaped so your head fits into them, rather than merely resting on them.

Infotainment: I almost exclusively use CarPlay. However, I regularly get an error:
"A charting error has occurred with the connected device. When safe, please check the copatability of the device and USB cable. Please see your owner's manual for more details."

I started getting this error after I switched to an aftermarket, ultra-short USB-lightning cable. The only way to correct the error is to shut down the car, then restart (i.e., reboot the car). I suspect the best thing to do is to stick to Apple-made, or Apple-blessed, USB cables. Has anyone else with a 2018 TLX noticed this?

Carplay is super-easy to use with the Acura jogwheel. I no longer use the onboard Acura system or navigation, though it is an option, should you choose to use it. I'm glad Acura gives you the choice.

Home screen is navigable with the jogwheel, and if you turn it far enough to the left in any screen, you reach the home button, which returns you to the Home Screen.

Music app is where I spend most of my time. As you can see, the words and icons are large enough to see easily. If you select the name of the artist, in blue, then press the jogwheel button, you pull up the album from which the song came, and you can select to play the album. This is the case even in shuffle mode. Select the double arrows, then press the jogwheel button once, and you get the previous or next song. Hold the jogwheel button after selecting the double arrows, and you fast forward or backward. Super-easy!

Maps: With CarPlay, only Apple Maps can be used. Booooo!. It's better than the Acura navi system, though, and it does point out accidents on the highway well enough. Google Maps is better, and Waze is the best.

When you turn the jogwheel, you get a menu at the top of the Maps screen:

You turn the jogwheel to select current location/centering map (arrow), 3D format, destinations from your phone, moving the map (the four-arrow icon), and zoom in/out (+/-).

Phone app is easy to use as well....I guess I'll post a full tutorial at some point. I just wanted to give an idea of how easy the apps are to use.

Siri Eyes Free is freaking amazing. Just say "hey Siri" and you can do a wide variety of commands ("call home", "send message", etc). If you receive a text, the car reads it to you and you can respond easily by voice, then the system verbally confirms your request, you say "send", and it goes off to the recipient.

In short, navi system is AWESOME. Best ever with CarPlay. I'm sure the Android Auto implementation is similarly awesome, but I don't have an Android device to test on.

Split screen is fine, I've become adjusted to it as I've used it now since 2014. I understand that Honda/Acura have integrated multiple ways to do the same function even in its native system to allow for many types of users.

No rear power outlets still, in a 2018 car. This is a BIG problem when I am driving my child, on road trips, and if I am entertaining business guests who most recharge their devices.

Driving experience: EXCELLENT acceleration. It's not RLX Sport-Hybrid fast, and I miss the low-end torque of the Sport Hybrid. I have never lacked for passing power, however.

EXCELLENT handling with the mechanical SH-AWD. It's similar to my old RL. if you feel understeer in a turn, just press the accelerator and the car becomes neutral. It's so fun to drive in the turns.

Driver's aids are awesome, and they work smoother in the TLX A-Spec than in the RLX Sport Hybrid, but then again, the difference in the system from MY 2014 and 2018 are to be expected.

I discussed the transmission in another thread. I'll just copy here: The manual upshifts are slow in any IDS mode other than Sport+. In Sport+, you have to plan about 100-200 rpm before your planned shift. It's really not that bad at all in that mode. With the others, it's more like 500-700 rpm, but in the other modes, there is no desire for manual shifting. I drive in Sport mode most of the time and the only time I notice slow automatic shifting is if I'm accelerating, then have to let off the gas halfway through the gear. The transmission takes a couple seconds to realize my foot's off the gas, then it upshifts. That is slow. Overall, I'm actually reasonably satisfied with the performance of the transmission and I think the car's gotten used to my (very) heavy throttle foot.

No mechanical issues so far. The car hasn't been back to the dealer at all.

HTH!

Last edited by neuronbob; 10-03-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (10-02-2017), Acura_Dude (10-09-2017), boe_d (10-20-2017), cyberizer (10-22-2017), FLYGUY31 (10-03-2017), ggesq (10-03-2017), hadokenuh (10-03-2017), Jhole99 (10-03-2017), Mr Hyde (10-04-2017), rockstar143 (10-04-2017), SebringSilver (10-02-2017), slimm1469 (10-03-2017), steve_97060 (10-03-2017), TAG18 (10-03-2017), teh CL (10-09-2017) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Nice read.

Per your post in the other thread, will you terminate lease early and get the best midsize sedan in the market: 2.0T, 6MT Accord sport ?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Excellent review, as always. Mine just passed 3,100 miles (5,000 km) as well, after about three months. The car has been completely faultless so far. It draws a lot of attention being San Marino Red. The other day, in fact, I went to meet my wife (who had driven the Acura) for lunch and saw three guys circling the A-Spec in the parking lot, studying all the design details and, I think, admiring the colour, with loads of new BMWs and Mercedes Benzes in the same area she had parked in. It’s surprised me how much attention this car generates.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Nice read.

Per your post in the other thread, will you terminate lease early and get the best midsize sedan in the market: 2.0T, 6MT Accord sport ?
Oh, you’re getting a new Accord, Bob? What colour?

Just out of curiosity, does the Accord come in AWD?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I use CarPlay in the COBRA, the only car I have it in, but still use the WAZE maps as my primary. Like the police warnings & tie-up work arounds. If I want to see the maps on the screen will run Apple but have not found that necessary. Would have to look down into the cockpit to see it.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice read.

LOLZ, no. I'm quite satisfied with my TLX. But man, a manual Accord Sport with actual features would have been mighty tempting had the timing been right. If I can find one at release, I'm test driving it even so.

Speaking of manuals, I stand by my earlier comments in other threads....TLX A-Spec SH-AWD would be amazing with a manual. I know, no one will buy one, but it would be amazing nevertheless, even with no bump in power.
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
LOLZ, no. I'm quite satisfied with my TLX. But man, a manual Accord Sport with actual features would have been mighty tempting had the timing been right. If I can find one at release, I'm test driving it even so.

Speaking of manuals, I stand by my earlier comments in other threads....TLX A-Spec SH-AWD would be amazing with a manual. I know, no one will buy one, but it would be amazing nevertheless, even with no bump in power.
I am looking forward to your Accord impressions. The FWD is a turnoff in the Accord but the reviews so far have been excellent.

If you have the SH-AWD though, I see no reason to downgrade to an Accord.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have an ASpec AWD on loan and only have driven 30+ miles so far but have enjoyed the drive. I, too, would drool for a 6MT in the AWD ASpec. The 6MTs in both of my TSXs ('04, '08) were buttery smooth.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts

don’t test drive it

You will write a check on the spot, you will come home with one if you do

it is the best Accord since 90-93

it it is an amazing machine
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent review, neuronbob.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Great review. Thanks!

Am I the only one though that isn't seeing the pictures?
Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^
My pics are hosted on Google Photos. Are you at work and does your work block Google?

don’t test drive it

You will write a check on the spot, you will come home with one if you do

it is the best Accord since 90-93

it it is an amazing machine
Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Great review. Thanks!

Am I the only one though that isn't seeing the pictures?
Nope, you're not the only one that can't view the pics. I am at home and I can't see the pics either. Tried it on my phone same issue.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
^^^
My pics are hosted on Google Photos. Are you at work and does your work block Google?
Strange, I'm viewing from home.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I don't see the pictures, either. And Google Photos aren't blocked at work.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I see no pictures from home or work.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Driving experience: EXCELLENT acceleration. It's not RLX Sport-Hybrid fast, and I miss the low-end torque of the Sport Hybrid. I have never lacked for passing power, however.

EXCELLENT handling with the mechanical SH-AWD. It's similar to my old RL. if you feel understeer in a turn, just press the accelerator and the car becomes neutral. It's so fun to drive in the turns.
I agree on the acceleration. More than adequate. Calling this 290HP anemic as we saw recently is pretty much stupid.

I disagree on the SH-AWD. I gave handling 8/10 just because I can sense that tires are a major part of the issue, otherwise it would be a 7/10. The transition from understeer to oversteer does not feel natural like in my two BMWs RWD. This car would benefit from being lower by 3/4 - 1" and when you realize that I prefer driving it with my winter tires than the crappy Good Year LS, that is a source of concern.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my TLX. It grew on me, it is a great daily car. It would be easy to me to say I can't wait to return to BMW; no such thing.

Last edited by Saintor; 10-03-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Grrr. I'll find alternate hosting for my pics, probably on AZ itself. Dunno what's up with Google.

Saintor, you have a regular TLX, and the handling is different in the A-Spec because A-Spec has wider tires (thought not the stickiest) and suspension tweaks specifically to enhance handling. I've driven a 2017 TLX at length, for days, and the skinnier tires and softer suspension make for less crisp handling. It is a really good and comfortable commuter. Even so, SH-AWD is the same between the two and the handling procedure in curves is the same as in every car I've driven with SH-AWD: if you feel understeer, press accelerator. Then you feel the car straightening out. It's a pretty unique experience.

Just for spits and giggles, you should go drive an A-Spec to see the difference.

Is it a sports car? LOLz, no. Is it a BMW? My goodness, not even close. It IS a moderately entertaining commuter, though.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
^ Not sure what is all the hoopla about BMW - I test drove a 335i and was less than impressed, especially with the interior. BMW does get the ride height right though.
neuronbob (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Give me Dwayne Wade back.
Also, how did I miss this thread. Nice, Bob. I'm shocked you bailed no the RLX but I recall you having issues.
I know the struggle of 2nd vehicle that isn't getting 11mpg

Looking forward to further updates!
neuronbob (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
This makes the wheel very comfortable to hold even though I have large hands with long fingers. The thigh support is still useful for me because I have long thighs.
Nicely put and very vivid! Wait, are you selling the car features or a hunk aka you? <joke joke>
Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Bob;

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing your observations and thoughts with us. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you guy check your driver seat where your back sit against the seat? My seat squeak as I move my around. You can tell by pushing your hand in on the lower back of the seat. I took my car to the dealer today. The guy that inspect my car said that he can hear the squeaky sound and it seem like that cushion wasn't there. He told me I have to make an appointment for them to take the seat apart and take a look inside. They said that the cushion might have shifted and it just need to be realign. Taking my car back tomorrow to have this fix. I also, checked out other aspec on the lot and it doesn't have this issue. I guess you have to drive the car for awhile before it shift off? I only have the car for about 1 month and it only have about 1200 miles on the car.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
BTW Bob, I tried Google Photos and had as many issues as the infamous photobucket.... imgur is a good one.
neuronbob (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I still stick with Flickr.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
I've done about 500 miles in mine and have no regrets.

The android auto integration is lovely. I mentioned this on a another post but I LOVE that i can have my music info from Spotify on my lower screen but have my google maps or waze on the upper screen.

The sound system is really nice. I haven't listened to the Burmeister in Porsche which I've heard is amazing but for a stock sound system this is one clear detailed system.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I started getting this error after I switched to an aftermarket, ultra-short USB-lightning cable. The only way to correct the error is to shut down the car, then restart (i.e., reboot the car). I suspect the best thing to do is to stick to Apple-made, or Apple-blessed, USB cables. Has anyone else with a 2018 TLX noticed this?
HTH!
Great review! I have an apple-certified cable and haven't had any issues at all in my 2018. Still LOVING my TLX (non-A-spec) after about 2 months and haven't had any problems yet *knock on wood."
Old 10-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a little less than 500 miles on my TLX A Spec AWD black w/red interior. Other than a blown battery fan disabling the ride for 1.5 days, I’ve had no issues. Actually, I really love the car. Handles much better than the 2015 and the infotainment is better, as well. The car looks and handles like a gem. I can’t believe some of the negative responses. Although not anywhere near the A-Spec, even my old TLX was a solid car for me (no issues).

All things being equal, I think the car can go toe to toe with most in its class, especially when you consider cost value. Just my thoughts.
The following 3 users liked this post by joneswood:
a35tl (10-09-2017), JM2010 SH-AWD (10-07-2017), SebringSilver (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Instructor

I can’t believe some of the negative responses.
To be honest, I think this is probably the worst case I've ever seen of a forum dedicated to a specific brand yet where there's so much negativity about that particular brand. People not only say bad things about Acura here. They actually "advertise" its competitors and cars that are not even in the same class against Acura right here. No idea why these people are hanging around here, and why the moderators don't do anything.
a35tl (10-09-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by txl2017
To be honest, I think this is probably the worst case I've ever seen of a forum dedicated to a specific brand yet where there's so much negativity about that particular brand. People not only say bad things about Acura here. They actually "advertise" its competitors and cars that are not even in the same class against Acura right here. No idea why these people are hanging around here, and why the moderators don't do anything.
Must of us are current or past Acura owners, we know when the brand was competitive. Blame Acura's shitty marketing and increasing price points for cross class shopping. If you call yourself a sports car, I'll judge you as a sports car and less as a family sedan. As shoppers, people can look at whatever they want so as a car forum I can share all information related to model. Even some mods are blaming Acura for shitty judgement lol
Old 10-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Oifnod curiosity, what cars would you compare the TLX with as a sport car instead of a family sedan?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Oifnod curiosity, what cars would you compare the TLX with as a sport car instead of a family sedan?
None. Corvette, COBRA, 911, Miata, Jaguar F are sports cars. I believe the word PYRODAN007 was looking for was "Sports Sedan". All of the TLX print & TV advertising display the car blowing out of traffic lights, running fast over back roads & going flat out over the desert. 100% of the advertising budget is all about a sports sedan all the time. They do flash backs with the NSX on some.

The NSX itself has not done very well in the GTD series they finished 12th & 14th in their class today at the Pedtit Le Mans. Over in the GTLM class the Corvette StingRay & BMW M6 are going for the manufactures championship. Today Pedtit Le Mans GTLM class was won by the BMW M6, Corvette 2nd & Ferrari 488 3rd. I believe the NSX in that class crashed out but was well behind all day. The M6, Corvette & 488 were also faster then the GTD NSX cars.

The TL sports sedan days are long gone since the 3G was put to sleep in 2008/2009. I went from a 2006 3G that was competitive with my 2004 BMW 330 ZHP to a 2011 BMW 335is. There was nothing in the Acura inventory that would remotely run with the 335is at the time. The sport sedan segment has moved forward with Audi, MB, Infinity & BMW. Even Lexus is trying to take a shot. Meanwhile Acura is building a car that the 3G would give a hard time to over the road. The performance envelope is still where it was in 2004 & you now have less horsepower than you had in 2009.

That leaves the top dog TLX competing with the bottom end non-performance versions of the other makes. Even at that the V6 TLX is not equivalent to most of these 2T cars in general performance measurements or even HONDA's own 2T Accord. Its a great family car but it was & could be a great "sports sedan" if Acura would put the hardware where the advertising is.

We are not "selling" other cars here just putting up comparison food for thought when someone posts:
All things being equal, I think the car can go toe to toe with most in its class, especially when you consider cost value.
Question is, what is in its class? C&D said the TLX is a good Buick (similar pricing/performance) while most here want it to be a good Infiniti RED (similar performance/value pricing) car.

Personally I think part of your statement is 100% correct:
[quote]They actually "advertise" its competitors and cars that are not even in the same class against Acura right here.

But you still have guys fighting tooth & nail about things like a 5-60 run proves they are the second coming of the BMW 340 or MB C46 but wants to ignore every other metrics of performance

What to many of us, 5 years in a TL 6MT, is that the brand was exactly that & selling 70,000 cars a year. Threw it all away with horrendous marketing decisions & is now struggling to sell 38,000 cars a year. Harvard B school should do a case study on how not to run a car company with Acura. As retired marketing guy I find Acura fascinating to watch.

Thing is if the market (fan base here) really is for a value priced sports sedan they need to stop saying all is well & the car is just misunderstood. Kia broke the code with the Stinger so its not impossible.

But BIG BUT. If the fan base has truly changed to "the TLX is good enough & a fine family car at a good price" then they should be leaning on ACURA to get its marketing program aligned with quality, reliability, safety, value & features.

So far they upped the suspension with the A-Spec & hung some new fascias on it. Good for them. Problem is that gives it a sporty look like someone putting a wing on a ES-350 but without more muscle the performance buyer is passing it up.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-08-2017 at 02:42 AM.
pyrodan007 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand and respect both your opinion and data. The numbers don’t lie. However, there’s subjective data that has some bearing. I owned an Infiniti M-35X prior to my 2015 TLX. I also had the opportunity to drive a few G37’s and Q50’s (loaners or long tests). My TLX cannot compete with the power and acceleration, but handling blows the doors off (IMO). I also enjoy the look and interior of the TLX (A-Spec) more than the Infiniti. I would take the 2018 TLX over the Q50 easily. If there were an extra 30 or 40 horses and more torque, it wouldn’t even be thought. Throw in the MT and I’d forget how to spell Infiniti.

Either way, it would be most beneficial if Acura listened to folks on this thread and looked at their numbers. With progression from the 2015 TLX to the 2018 A-Spec, perhaps they just might be doing that (fingers crossed for my end of lease options).
The following 2 users liked this post by joneswood:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-08-2017), pyrodan007 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
None. Corvette, COBRA, 911, Miata, Jaguar F are sports cars. I believe the word PYRODAN007 was looking for was "Sports Sedan". All of the TLX print & TV advertising display the car blowing out of traffic lights, running fast over back roads & going flat out over the desert. 100% of the advertising budget is all about a sports sedan all the time. They do flash backs with the NSX on some.
Absolutely right, should have used 'sports sedan'.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-08-2017), joneswood (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Once you blur out the price point (options can kill you, simply using the car), I think Acura really wants to compete with the Q50S, 330I, A4, C300, and IS 350. Not enough performance, so no AMG/S/M comparison. Where the TLX fails to deliver is on marketed performance (transmission on V6) and interior design. I find it interesting that you didn't like the Q50's interior since I find the materials much better than the TLX. I almost got a Red Sport, however the blocking points were on color (already had a silver and white, no way in black), no ventilated seats, old 7sp transmission, weird DAS steering feeling, and going back to a so-so two screen infotainment system.

I honestly think if the transmission were better on the TLX V6 (turbo for next generation, but it's a MUST now), better use of cabin materials, and better tech; most of us would be buying TLXs and calling it a day. The value price point would be the icing on top, just like in the 3G TL days.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joneswood
I understand and respect both your opinion and data. The numbers don’t lie. However, there’s subjective data that has some bearing. I owned an Infiniti M-35X prior to my 2015 TLX. I also had the opportunity to drive a few G37’s and Q50’s (loaners or long tests). My TLX cannot compete with the power and acceleration, but handling blows the doors off (IMO). I also enjoy the look and interior of the TLX (A-Spec) more than the Infiniti. I would take the 2018 TLX over the Q50 easily. If there were an extra 30 or 40 horses and more torque, it wouldn’t even be thought. Throw in the MT and I’d forget how to spell Infiniti.

Either way, it would be most beneficial if Acura listened to folks on this thread and looked at their numbers. With progression from the 2015 TLX to the 2018 A-Spec, perhaps they just might be doing that (fingers crossed for my end of lease options).
Thing is there is no, zero, nada reason why the TLX is not selling better. For all that have decided I hate Acura my posts when the TLX prototype & even the toned down original production said it should sell well. Many here said it was bland etc & would tank. I was wrong & they were right it tanked vs Acura marketing production goals. What some of us are searching for is the why.

Not to offend people but I think the fan base for the TLX vs the TL has changed big time from a more sports sedan oriented one to a more semi-sporting family car. In that light its up against a different set of marketing obstacles when compared with other family cars that have price & similar performance levels in there side. There is nothing to set it apart from its true competition vs its desired competition (the one its marketed against). That's why I used the word misunderstood earlier. If its going to be a family car it needs to out Camry the Camry because its premium priced compared to it. If its going to be a sport sedan it needs at least one version that is a sports sedan.

I don't accept a 330 2T as sports sedan but BMW sells a way more of them than 340/440. But the 340/440 image carries over to the 320. This thread in what is basically the BMW TLX Acurazine equivalent will indicate why they have the general performance illusion carryover to the base models. Look at the "fan" base percentage that is ordering performance options. Then compare it to what is ordered here.

List your build of the 2018 4xx series LCI
joneswood (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
The YTD sales of the TLX along with the A4, Q50 and 4-Series are all right around the same number. The 3 sells more, but like Bear mentioned, how many of them are the base model ones? Probably alot. Luxo and sporty sedan sales are down period.
June 2017 YTD U.S. Vehicle Sales Rankings - Top 287 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked -

Im very happy with my 18 TLX too. Zero issues and its schedule for its first service this week. I had a 15 before and the 18 is a light years improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTD:
joneswood (10-09-2017), SebringSilver (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In regards to the Tech in the vehicle, I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. The A-Spec has Navigation, Backup Camera, Keyless entry and start, Heated and COOLED seats (not available on most other cars in class), Collision Mitigation Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot detection and Wireless charging. No other Entry-Mid Luxury vehicle offers ALL of this in one car that I am tracking.

Compared to the other entry/mid-level luxury cars it takes numerous upgrade packages to even come close to the Tech that the 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec has included. Also, you would be paying a minimum of $10K more for that vehicle. I have been shopping around for the best car in this class and looking to spend around $40K and no other brand compares. So far I've looked at the Audi A4,A5,A6, Mercedes C & E, Jaguar XE, and Infiniti Q50. While many of these cars outperform the TLX, the technology for the price can't compete. Also, I like the sporty look and am one of the few in here that doesn't need super performance anymore.
With that being said I think the magic price point for the TLX A-Spec FWD should be around $38K before taxes and fees. At that price, Acura would kill it with sales and blow away the competition.

Just my thoughts but would love to hear other opinions.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jhole99:
FLYGUY31 (10-09-2017), mapleloaf (11-05-2017), SebringSilver (10-09-2017), slimm1469 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Is the seat actually cooled or ventilated? My '09 Expedition seats are cooled (multi levels of chilled air into the seats regardless of cabin temperate) but the other cars are typically ventilated with ambient cabin air forced through the seats.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhole99
In regards to the Tech in the vehicle, I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. The A-Spec has Navigation, Backup Camera, Keyless entry and start, Heated and COOLED seats (not available on most other cars in class), Collision Mitigation Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot detection and Wireless charging. No other Entry-Mid Luxury vehicle offers ALL of this in one car that I am tracking.

Compared to the other entry/mid-level luxury cars it takes numerous upgrade packages to even come close to the Tech that the 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec has included. Also, you would be paying a minimum of $10K more for that vehicle. I have been shopping around for the best car in this class and looking to spend around $40K and no other brand compares. So far I've looked at the Audi A4,A5,A6, Mercedes C & E, Jaguar XE, and Infiniti Q50. While many of these cars outperform the TLX, the technology for the price can't compete. Also, I like the sporty look and am one of the few in here that doesn't need super performance anymore.
With that being said I think the magic price point for the TLX A-Spec FWD should be around $38K before taxes and fees. At that price, Acura would kill it with sales and blow away the competition.

Just my thoughts but would love to hear other opinions.
I'm in retail on the buying end and I agree...if the A-Spec had a "3" in front of it for the cost, it would fly out the door. Mid 40's and there is too much competition on both sides of the number.

Search this Thread