Is there a way to set recirculation as default when A/C is off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a way to set recirculation as default when A/C is off?

Hey guys/gals. I have an interesting dilemma which I'm hoping you can help me with. For some reason every time I turn off my air conditioning, the fresh air/recirculate option always clicks over to fresh air, even when it was manually set to recirculate before the a/c was turned on. This requires me to manually switch the setting to recirculate each time I turn off the a/c, even if it's on recirculate when the a/c is on. Does this happen to anyone else and if so, how do I change the presets so that the default mode is recirculate when the a/c or heater is not on. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggie_B
Hey guys/gals. I have an interesting dilemma which I'm hoping you can help me with. For some reason every time I turn off my air conditioning, the fresh air/recirculate option always clicks over to fresh air, even when it was manually set to recirculate before the a/c was turned on. This requires me to manually switch the setting to recirculate each time I turn off the a/c, even if it's on recirculate when the a/c is on. Does this happen to anyone else and if so, how do I change the presets so that the default mode is recirculate when the a/c or heater is not on. Thanks!
Not possible as far as I know, and recirc with the heater on will cause your windows to fog quickly. Recirc with air conditioning all the time, or when just on fan with no compressor may well lead to the musty smell some folks complain about.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks. So what you're saying is that I have to manually change the mode from fresh air to recirculate every time I turn off the air conditioning? Isn't the case on my TL. Double the pain now that there isn't a physical button that does the job. Tirrible...
Old 09-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks. So what you're saying is that I have to manually change the mode from fresh air to recirculate every time I turn off the air conditioning? Isn't the case on my TL. Double the pain now that there isn't a physical button that does the job. Tirrible...
Just curious--why do you need to do this?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim256
Just curious--why do you need to do this?
Because I don't want cold air coming in during the winter and warm air during the summer. Not to mention exhaust fumes from cars, etc. If I wanted fresh air I could open a window. Lol
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
You know, I was just thinking about this. I don't recall having to flip back to recirculate from fresh air in forever. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I recall when I first got the car, I complained about having to hit recirculate everytime. I know I set up a preset for my desired AC settings and used to turn the AC on with that, but I just hit "AUTO" now and it comes on as recirculate. I don't recall when the last time I had to switch back was.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
You know, I was just thinking about this. I don't recall having to flip back to recirculate from fresh air in forever. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I recall when I first got the car, I complained about having to hit recirculate everytime. I know I set up a preset for my desired AC settings and used to turn the AC on with that, but I just hit "AUTO" now and it comes on as recirculate. I don't recall when the last time I had to switch back was.
Thanks for the feedback. My problem is with car automatically cycling back to fresh air when I turn off the a/c. Then I have to manually select recirculate else it will stay in fresh air until I turn the air conditioning back on. Are you saying that your mode stays on recirculate after you turn off the a/c?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. My problem is with car automatically cycling back to fresh air when I turn off the a/c. Then I have to manually select recirculate else it will stay in fresh air until I turn the air conditioning back on. Are you saying that your mode stays on recirculate after you turn off the a/c?
Hmm... I have my AC on from the moment I get in the car until I exit it. What I do daily is this :

1) I start my car and press AUTO on the AC
2) The mode is in recirculate.
3) I get to my destination and turn my AC off and then turn the car off
4) I get back in the car to leave, start it, and turn my AC on.

I could've sworn after step 4, in the past the recirculate wouldn't be remembered and it would flip to fresh air. The only way I would remember to flip it back the next morning on the way to work was when I inhaled exhaust fumes from the diesel monstrosity sitting in front of me in traffic. Now it seems it just stays in recirculate. Maybe I was doing something else before when it would flip back to fresh after I turned it off.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:24 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Because I don't want cold air coming in during the winter and warm air during the summer. Not to mention exhaust fumes from cars, etc. If I wanted fresh air I could open a window. Lol
Um, what?

Ever since the early days of Honda/Acura automatic climate control systems, the system NEVER blows colder air than what's inside the vehicle if you have the heat on like in the winter. In auto mode, it blows 0 air until the air is warmer than what's outside and inside your cold vehicle. The old cars work this way and so do the TLX's. The exception is defrost mode, in which it will start blowing immediately to get the air dehumidified even if it's cold. (Canadian models get to cheat by having a heated bottom part of the windshield, lol).

In the summer, the A/C kicks in right away so it doesn't need to delay blowing the fans. If you set the temperature to the minimum value (Lo) OR if the air inside the car is significantly warmer than the temperature you set the system at, the system will automatically stay in recirculate mode until the air inside the cabin is within a few degrees of the setting, at which point it'll switch to fresh mode. The A/C compressor is more than powerful enough to overcome any warm or hot summer air outside even while it's on fresh mode.

Let me guess, the reason you're having this problem of it blowing cold air on you during the winter is that you're not in full auto mode, right?

Also FYI, recirculating air for too long is bad for you. The oxygen content in the air slowly decreases as your body uses it up. I'm willing to bet even in recirc mode, the system lets in some fresh air.

The only time I'd manually turn my system to recirculate is when I'm near big diesel exhausts or driving past a slaughterhouse or manure-heavy area.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (03-06-2017)
Old 10-02-2015, 02:27 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Hmm... I have my AC on from the moment I get in the car until I exit it. What I do daily is this :

1) I start my car and press AUTO on the AC
2) The mode is in recirculate.
3) I get to my destination and turn my AC off and then turn the car off
4) I get back in the car to leave, start it, and turn my AC on.

I could've sworn after step 4, in the past the recirculate wouldn't be remembered and it would flip to fresh air. The only way I would remember to flip it back the next morning on the way to work was when I inhaled exhaust fumes from the diesel monstrosity sitting in front of me in traffic. Now it seems it just stays in recirculate. Maybe I was doing something else before when it would flip back to fresh after I turned it off.
Why do you have to press AUTO? The TLX remembered my settings after turning it off. If I set it at a certain temperature in AUTO mode, it would start up at that temperature in AUTO mode, and would utilize the AC if necessary to get to that temperature.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Not sure why you like that setting of stale air, but you could always set what you like, and then save it as one of your presets/shortcuts for the climate control
Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to know a way how to solve this. For now i am not turning off the a/c before i turn off the engine so fresh air will not come in while the car is parked.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Not sure why you like that setting of stale air, but you could always set what you like, and then save it as one of your presets/shortcuts for the climate control
I was going to suggest this, as well. Create a shortcut, and instead of turning the AC off, just change to your saved shortcut setting.