Test drove 2015 TLXs, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Test drove 2015 TLXs, my thoughts

Ok, so I've been doing lots of readings on the forums and professional reviews, but I had to go see for myself. I have an 08 Accord EX-L V6 (92k km) and an 07 TL Base (175k km), so that's where I'm coming from. I'm looking at about 3 year old cars to dodge some of that initial depreciation, and also each of my cars accrues maybe 10k km per year, so I don't care about starting from new anymore, but mainly only with Japanese automakers. I've also been looking at Lexus, IS, 3 series, A4, but have not driven any of them. The Acura value proposition is still pretty good, and as a responsible parent now, I feel like that's got to play a factor. Kid's lessons don't pay for themselves...

In the last couple of days, I test drove a 2015 TLX 2.4L Tech; 3.5L Tech FWD, and 3.5 L Elite (Advance) SH-AWD. Here's what I thought:

2.4 L Tech:
I like the tech package, real leaps and bounds above the cassette player that's sitting in my (beloved) 07 TL. From the folding windows, heated steering wheel (awesome in Canada), driving assist measures (I have some familiarity from my in-laws' 2018 Honda Odyssey Touring), it just feels like a car from this decade (admittedly haven't driven many others). I'm not going to dwell on little things, yeah, quality of materials, cost cutting, etc. etc. People have raised this in the past. It's a nice car, and it's newer, newer is newer. The one big cosmetic issue I have with this is the wheels. I can barely stomach them, and may need to replace them. The V6 wheels look way better, and yet not as nice as the 16/17 Honda Accord offerings, that's just me.

So the driving is what I was really trying to focus on, given all the issues people have raised about vibration, throttle response, and shifting. So the 2.4L felt quite responsive. The shifting felt smooth. My Accord has recently developed a noticeable jerk going into 3rd gear, and I didn't notice anything like that in the TLX. The responsiveness was nice, at slowish speeds, turning corners from stop, merging, just felt like it responded more. Pretty consistent, I think, with what other people think. However, despite the responsiveness, it kind of reminded my of my 4 cylinder 08 Accord LX, which I really liked by the way and felt was also very responsive. But it wasn't powerful the way my 08 Accord and 07 TL feel. Hitting the on ramp to the highway did not give me that feeling of thrust, obviously with no VTEC, and while that's not the most important thing, I guess the overall experience did not give me that feeling like I was firmly planted yet powerful propelled. Also, the engine sounded louder than my V6s at idle, and accelerating, and it wasn't (subjectively) as "refined" sounding. This actually distracted me a little from the smooth shifting, though I imagine I'd simply get used to it in time when I'm not literally hopping from one car to another within the same day. But it reminded me of the 4cyl Accord, even though it was nicely responsive, shifting smooth (I think more than either of my cars), the tech around me felt new, and my hands on the wheel were nice and toasty on this cold December day.

3.5L Tech FWD
Tech is still good, as above. I'm not interested in base at all. Somehow, at least the ones that I sat in, the 3.5L felt a little nicer...that's probably in my head. One glaring thing that I did notice, is the black aluminum trim, horizontal, just at the top of the instrument panel in the middle...it seems out of place and quite cheap looking. Unfortunate, but what're you going to do? Anyway, somehow it just felt a little better. I also actually like the weird shifting buttons setup instead of the stick...not necessarily because it works better, but it just looks more handsome and different. I know people are split on this.

The throttle response was disappointing. The engine sounded good, quite on idle, and nicely refined when moving, but I felt like I was mashing down on the gas and even then was not feeling like I was going anywhere. It did not feel as lively as the 2.4L, even though I could hear the growl of the engine. By comparison, my Accord and TL are quite responsive. I noticed that about my Accord right away when I left the dealership. As I got onto the highway, I floored it and it just slowly picked up speed, even though, again, I could feel the power under the hood but it wasn't translating into moving faster. I didn't even notice any VTEC (is this still in these engines?) kicking in, no downshift when I was expecting it. Now, maybe I was actually going pretty fast (you guys tell me), but it didn't feel as heart pumping as my Accord or TL.

I didn't use the paddles there, but I did try downshifting with the paddles later on in a secluded side road (i.e. no one's looking at the speed limit but it's still not highway speeds) and I noticed it took about 2-3 shifts down to 3rd to hear the engine kick into play. However, when it did, it was nice an familiar. Maybe I would eventually just get used to manually down shifting a few gears (BTW this is in Sport mode, everything lower sucked, I didn't put it into Sport+ because I don't think I should be driving in Sport+ all the time, aren't there downsides?).

Shifting was not as nice as the 2.4L. It wasn't horrible, but I'm kind of sensitive to it lately because of my Accord issues. But it certainly didn't feel as nice. Even though the rest of the ride felt nicer and more familiar, the nice refined ride, the more planted feeling, reminded me more of my current cars than my old 03 4cyl Accord. I'm concerned about rough shifts because that's part of the reason I'm not totally loving my Accord now, but the Accord has way more responsive throttle response. Again, I don't know if that's all just growl and not actually any faster, but it sure feels more engaging than the TLX. The shifting is worrying, I don't like that jerky feeling when shifting. I don't feel it at all except in 3rd on my Accord, and in my TL I notice the shifting in all gears slightly more than the Accord (except in 3rd gear), but much less jerky than the TLX (mostly in 3rd, I think the other gears were not so noticeable).

3.5 L Elite (Advance) SH-AWD
This car felt nice and decked out, even though it's not materially different from the Tech package at first glance, and I didn't really use the more advanced tech features. The one thing I would like, would be the vented seats. That seems like a nice interesting feature that is distinctly from this decade. I didn't try them though. Plus, I like the fog lights, whatever, just cosmetic. Wheels look way better than the 2.4L.

This felt like a heavy car, even pulling out of the parking lot. And the throttle response was not there. This was actually the first one I tested, and while it felt powerful, it felt heavy, not so responsive, less than the 2.4L for sure. But it felt powerful under the hood, you know? Does that make sense, like you know there's power under that hood, but you're just not going anywhere, hearing anything, there's no tactile feedback, and I don't know if it's actually fast or not.

This was probably the worst of the transmissions that I encountered. That's probably why it was available at only 45k km. I felt like I was getting kicked in the butt through 2nd and 3-4th gears. Like it would bump me in my seat. I think it was actually worse than my Accord (after I recently replaced tranny fluid x1 and 3rd pressure switch). It was a nice car, but I would be annoyed at the strange shifting. I think the throttle response issue may be ok between manual down shifting, and maybe the ECU will figure it out after a while? But the regular slamming into gear, throwing you in your seat feeling, was not to my liking.

I don't really care about AWD. I put on winters every year, and I don't really push it that hard. It helps you speed up through snow, but doesn't improve braking, in fact your car is heavier and is harder to stop. I had previously tested a 2010 TL and the AWD was WAY nicer to drive than the FWD, but I don't notice a big difference in the TLX. If it's similar in price, I don't mind the AWD (do all Elite/Advance models comes with AWD or is FWD available?). But it's not a must-have for me.

OK so those are my thoughts, I think somewhat consistent with other people's thoughts. I'm torn. I like the car, I had hoped it would be the one to replace one of my aging cars (I want a Lexus ES 350 2016+ also, for soft pleasure cruising). I like the responsiveness of the 2.4L, but it reminds me of the 4 cyl Accord, and even at the same trim level, doesn't feel as planted or refined as the V6. The V6 doesn't feel responsive, and the slamming into gear feeling is really not something I want to deal with every day for the next 7 years.

It makes me feel like I might need to go test drive that 328i after all, but the cost of maintenance is going to take away from my day to day enjoyment. The A4 seems even more costly to repair as it ages, and I can't stand the look of the Lexus IS, and the 350 is not very readily available in these parts. I'm also not a huge fan of the Benz C or the Infiniti Q50...er the way they look. I'm not going to get the tingly feeling I get when I see my TL (yes, I'm a big fan, but not unwilling to accept progress). The BMW is a beautiful car, and all accounts suggest it drives great, but I think the extra money will detract from my enjoyment. I am able to pay for it, but that's not the point.

After these test drives, I'm thinking that I'm holding onto my current cars for a couple years more at least. I'm hoping the 2016 or 2017 is better (I know, odds are against me). Or maybe it's too early to get a 2015...it's only been 2 years, most people probably have 3-4 year leases (my friend as an Elite and a 4 year lease, and he loves his TLX), so the only ones on the market now are the lemons that people tried to offload. If the off lease vehicles come available, it may just be that the lease is done but they didn't have those shifting issues, since some people one these forums suggest they don't have issues. I guess then I'll just have to get used to manually downshifting to get some better throttle response.

Unfortunately I'm also not a fan of the 2018 styling. If somehow I can stretch my TL out...I dunno, to 2023, I'll get a 2020 second gen TLX. That's kind of ridiculous. Maybe I'll buy it new, but there will be first model year woes. Maybe we'll all just ride share with self-driving cars by then

Congratulations if you read this whole post, it was a long one!

Last edited by anagramjones; 12-09-2017 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
niray9 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Good luck with you search! Regarding the V6 model, more than a couple current owners have noted that it takes a longer than usual break in period to get the car in its optimal performance, which implies that for a used car it may take the new owner some time to get the car realigned to their driving habits. From personal experience, if you used to drive a turbo charged vehicle especially one without the electric throttle control, there’s a learning curve for you as a driver too.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by txl2017
Good luck with you search! Regarding the V6 model, more than a couple current owners have noted that it takes a longer than usual break in period to get the car in its optimal performance, which implies that for a used car it may take the new owner some time to get the car realigned to their driving habits. From personal experience, if you used to drive a turbo charged vehicle especially one without the electric throttle control, there’s a learning curve for you as a driver too.
Would not bet my life on it but believe most all turbo cars are throttle by wire. I have even owned TBW N/A cars going back to early 2000. Pretty sure my 2006 TL 6MT was wired & was slow to react. Back then my ideal car would have been the TL gearbox & 330CI throttle & clutch. Engines were a wash, both very good N/A units with the TL having more horsepower & torque.

That said most TBW cars can be zeroed back to "factory default" from its driver learned status from the drivers seat. Procedure should be in the owners manual, if not post a question on the specific cars website.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Would not bet my life on it but believe most all turbo cars are throttle by wire. I have even owned TBW N/A cars going back to early 2000. Pretty sure my 2006 TL 6MT was wired & was slow to react. Back then my ideal car would have been the TL gearbox & 330CI throttle & clutch. Engines were a wash, both very good N/A units with the TL having more horsepower & torque.

That said most TBW cars can be zeroed back to "factory default" from its driver learned status from the drivers seat. Procedure should be in the owners manual, if not post a question on the specific cars website.
Idk. Volvo, for example, started moving to turbo a long while ago. Were they all throttle by wire 10+ years ago?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by anagramjones
After these test drives, I'm thinking that I'm holding onto my current cars for a couple years more at least. I'm hoping the 2016 or 2017 is better (I know, odds are against me). Or maybe it's too early to get a 2015...it's only been 2 years, most people probably have 3-4 year leases (my friend as an Elite and a 4 year lease, and he loves his TLX), so the only ones on the market now are the lemons that people tried to offload. If the off lease vehicles come available, it may just be that the lease is done but they didn't have those shifting issues, since some people one these forums suggest they don't have issues. I guess then I'll just have to get used to manually downshifting to get some better throttle response.

Unfortunately I'm also not a fan of the 2018 styling. If somehow I can stretch my TL out...I dunno, to 2023, I'll get a 2020 second gen TLX. That's kind of ridiculous. Maybe I'll buy it new, but there will be first model year woes. Maybe we'll all just ride share with self-driving cars by then

Congratulations if you read this whole post, it was a long one!
Infiniti Q50?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anagramjones
It makes me feel like I might need to go test drive that 328i after all, but the cost of maintenance is going to take away from my day to day enjoyment. The A4 seems even more costly to repair as it ages, and I can't stand the look of the Lexus IS, and the 350 is not very readily available in these parts. I'm also not a huge fan of the Benz C or the Infiniti Q50...er the way they look. I'm not going to get the tingly feeling I get when I see my TL (yes, I'm a big fan, but not unwilling to accept progress). The BMW is a beautiful car, and all accounts suggest it drives great, but I think the extra money will detract from my enjoyment. I am able to pay for it, but that's not the point.
The German cars only have a warranty of 4 years/50K so that tells me they're not confident of standing behind their vehicle quality much beyond that.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Ignore Post #5 as I missed the part where you did not like the look of Infiniti q50.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Yeah Volvo has been using turbo since the s40 debuted ages ago, my parents got one at the time. I don't remember much about the drive though, I was young.

Seems like many cars are getting paired with turbo in the sport sedan segment

I don't think i will be able to stomach the German car breaking down. I now there are supporters on forums, but when research comes out abiut the whole population of cars and suggests it will break down more and cost more to break down compared to the Japanese automakers, it's hard to ignore that odds are not in favour of reliability. I don't really want to play those odds. But the bmw is really nice (looking) , maybe one day when I just want to splurge.

To be honest, I actually quite like the stylings of the early tlx. Not as much as the 07 at first, bit it's really grown on me. Also, I saw some nice pics with some ron Jon wheels, and I think its looks are right up there with the best of them.

If only it didn't have these issues, I'd even pay more. I think the tlx is pretty discounted right now because of the issues.
​​​​
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
OoO Volvo just figured out a way to cut out turbo lag!
volvo designed a compressor unit to compress air and hold it in a tank...when you need full throttle, it will release the air in the tank into the sequintial turbo spooling it up! Power on tap!
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by txl2017
Idk. Volvo, for example, started moving to turbo a long while ago. Were they all throttle by wire 10+ years ago?
Volvo had ETM – Electronic Throttle Module going back to the last century. My personal first TBW car was in 2004, was not a turbo & was not the first years in the products generation.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
What about the Korean brands? Interested in any of those?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
What about the Korean brands? Interested in any of those?
They're not at the top of my list, partly because of lacking pedigree, but I quite like the genesis 2016+. I'm a little worried abiut long term reliability, Hyundai have gotten better of the years but I feel like I can get 2-300k out of a Honda no sweat, but not sure abiut Hyundai. Genesis is very boss looking though... Dunno abiut interior. Will probably test out anyway. Previous generation Hyundai were of no interest to me.

The stinger looks promising, but again, similar concerns. Looks rad. But apparently pretty sad on gas and as much it seems to perform like a champ, it's below average in gas and that's annoying, one of those low level constant annoyances... Not something that is annoying when you think abiut it but encountered infrequently.