Tech? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool Tech? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

Hi Guys,

I might be in the minority here but all the new "features" as lane watch, rear view camera, side collision warning, front collision warning, coffee is hot warnings are really needed? Where is the refinement in the Engines? Brakes? Transmission? Suspension? Of course they are there but all everyone want in a car is tech. What if the front collision system malfunctions and call comes to screeching halt in a fast lane? What if adaptive cruise control system fails while you are distracted?

What I am driving at is (no pun intended) that all the new "Tech" and features can be replaced by a good driver who understand that only task he or she should be doing in the car is Drive. I want a better driving experience with my new car, not being able to text more easily. Don't get me wrong, I still want all the luxuries like leather seats, heated seats, automatic climate control, auto dim mirror, etc etc. But mostly I want a car, not a high tech Phone Booth.

What are your thoughts?

Rant over.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer

Basically what I am saying is I WANT 6 MT in the TLX and exposed Tail Pipes.
The following 5 users liked this post by iamitman:
cokorote (04-24-2014), EzeE1o (04-26-2014), jwong77 (04-24-2014), rockyfeller (04-24-2014), vbx (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Even good drivers have a bad day and make a mistake. Even a good driver is opt to get fatigued on a very long drive. And even a good driver may feel lazy and let the car engage adaptive cruise control. And how many proclaimed "good drivers" are really that good? I like to DRIVE, but am open to,have some backup tech that I can engage when I want. Blind spot warning is great, adaptive cruise another great plus nod collision mitigation another good one I like.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-23-2014), Gen4MDX (05-04-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^what he said!!!, from one KeithL to another.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Racer

I for one would like statistics on accidents with cars with new tech and ones without. And also the driving stats of who was driving what car. I don't think a car can really make up for a poor driver prone to accidents.
The following users liked this post:
Jrvtecaccord (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
because Acura
The following 3 users liked this post by ggesq:
03uc1 (04-23-2014), FoxTL (04-23-2014), rockyfeller (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
because Acurazine members
Fixed it for you.
ggesq (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you've read the other posts in this TLX forum, a lot of the current members have voiced out their disappointment regarding this car, but not so much about the "tech" features, but on the performance side... don't even bother and start again with the exterior

I'm going to agree with KeithL and not bother restating what was said.

But when you're asking about "a better driving experience," that can be quite subjective. You may never know, the 8sp DCT or even the 9AT might be surprise you.

I say, let's wait until we drive the car, and then post your/our experience
Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iamitman
I for one would like statistics on accidents with cars with new tech and ones without. And also the driving stats of who was driving what car. I don't think a car can really make up for a poor driver prone to accidents.
I would like to see that too. Especially in today's world of people, distracted while driving, I vote for collision tech and lane departure tech being standard. The government recently mandated backup cameras which I understand, but really I think some simple things are far more effective at dropping accident rates, LED taillights or at least the third brake light should be LED I a tired driving behind people with their brake lights out. Collision mitigation or warning as these idiots are texting while driving, and ditto for lane departure warning and mitigation. I do not know where you are driving, but the idiots driving around me are doing everything, but driving.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
You have to remember that all these "Tech features" that you're not happy with are merely SUPPLEMENTARY driver aids.

They are in NO MEANS, supposed to REPLACE the actual driver. If the driver isn't paying attention, then he's gonna crash anyway (even without the collision mitigation system / adaptive cruise control). The point of these is to help MITIGATE (by definition is "to make less severe / serious / painful), not replace.

Also, part of the reason that all these tech features are included is more to "keep up with the Jones' ". If Acura didn't include these things (as other manufacturers do), it's just blood in the water for the other manufacturers.

As for the mechanical refinements you downplay, wait until the car comes out and you drive it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
The following 3 users liked this post by Goosew:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-23-2014), Gen4MDX (05-04-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
iamitman...I am with you on the technology. I don't see its purpose except for the backup camera because it is nice to back into a spot and not have to worry about damaging the rear bumper.

I agree that I'd rather have them focus on reactive dampers that work (lol)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Same was said when cruise control and stability control first came out. I like adaptive cruise and the full CMBS like the RL and ZDX had. These newest dumbed down 'beep only' versions are annoying. I think collision mitigation will become common like stability control. blind spot and lane departure are annoying but maybe some texter will not hit me. and car to car data linking systems are almost ready.
weather- the backup cameras are for not hitting people or children, not just saving your bumper, and are now required in future cars.

Last edited by 123456SPEED; 04-23-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You are correct in what the rear camera's are designed for....I was adding an extra practically of them, and I should have stated that IN ADDITION to save children and lives, they also save your bumper and make parking easier
Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'm all for backup cameras but a lot of the tech isn't needed and makes a car more expensive, complicated, and more expensive to repair when the tech fails. For blind spot warning, I'd actually prefer something low tech like a Multivex mirror (which aren't made any more unfortunately). For lane departure warning, I'm not a huge fan. For a good driver, these tech toys really aren't needed/ helpful, and for less skilled drivers, they shouldn't be a crutch on which to rely or to replace good driving skills.

My 3G (obviously) has none of the above, and it doesn't bother me one bit.
Goosew (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Tech or no tech, accidents will happen. Look at the Q50 forum, there are 3 cars already that have been in accidents. Some claimed the "nanny tech was turned off". So you actually have to turn it on every time you start the car.

Even so, I doubt any of those tech would prevent an accident.

It's all about paying attention and not falling asleep. And I can tell you from experience that driving an automatic makes you lazy as hell. It's also boring to drive.

When I had my 6mt, I avoided a collision that would have been horrible. Some idiots decided to merge into my lane (he was coming out of a shopping center).

I was driving with traffic at about 45mph. When I saw this moron merge in. There was basically no where for me to go because there was another car to my right. I did swerve a little to the right avoiding the car to my right by a few inches and the car merging in to my left. It all happened in just a few second. I didn't have time to honk. Just reacted and managed to getaway with a scratch on my car.

Then some guy in the SUV pulled up to me on the right and said, "That was crazy, wtf!". haha

I was like, "did you see that idiot?". I think we were all in shock.

Not sure how this "nanny tech bs" would have reacted to a car coming from the side like that.

Well, with the Q50, it does have remote control steering, but it doesn't have side sensors.

All in all, I prefer driving a 6mt even in heavy traffic in SoCal.

===========

For Blind Spot Warning, I prefer the Lexus version. That just gives you a warning light on the mirror. The Q50 has blind spot intervention. Which takes over your steering wheel.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
None of this technology is in place to replace driver responsibility. But we know that Accidents can and do happen to even the very best of drivers. The technology is there for when you make that one miscalculation or try to respond to some other driver's miscalculation. Although you may not depend on it, once one of those tech nannies saves your bacon, you'll be glad you had it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Make the tech all optional, if you don't want it don't buy it. One thing I got on my new car was a HUD that's really good tech to me. Think the RLX has a HUD it in the Acura lineup so it will filter down.

Skipped the 360* cameras & avoidance items but did opt for top end brakes.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
IMHO there should be more tech goodies available:

As mentioned HUD, panoramic sunroof, performance brakes, performance exhaust, Google w/wifi, etc. Tesla's tech package is a great example of what it's all about.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Make the tech all optional, if you don't want it don't buy it.
This is actually what I like about Acura. They don't try and nickle and dime you with pages and pages of options..

There are a few specific trims, you either get it or you don't.!.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
I'm all for backup cameras but a lot of the tech isn't needed and makes a car more expensive, complicated, and more expensive to repair when the tech fails. For blind spot warning, I'd actually prefer something low tech like a Multivex mirror (which aren't made any more unfortunately). For lane departure warning, I'm not a huge fan. For a good driver, these tech toys really aren't needed/ helpful, and for less skilled drivers, they shouldn't be a crutch on which to rely or to replace good driving skills.

My 3G (obviously) has none of the above, and it doesn't bother me one bit.
i can attest to the active blind spot assist system saving my bacon the day we were bringing my dad's Mercedes C250 home from the dealership after the purchase. I was driving the car and as i was merging onto the freeway, some nutter comes flying up right alongside me from the rear as i was merging...i couldn't even see him, he was moving that fast...and only at the last moment i saw him. Luckily the blind spot system kicked in, warned me, and in a split second, moved me away from the other car and kept me in the lane. We payed $2500 extra for the entire safety package and it proved its worth that day
Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi Guys,

I might be in the minority here but all the new "features" as lane watch, rear view camera, side collision warning, front collision warning, coffee is hot warnings are really needed? Where is the refinement in the Engines? Brakes? Transmission? Suspension? Of course they are there but all everyone want in a car is tech. What if the front collision system malfunctions and call comes to screeching halt in a fast lane? What if adaptive cruise control system fails while you are distracted?

What I am driving at is (no pun intended) that all the new "Tech" and features can be replaced by a good driver who understand that only task he or she should be doing in the car is Drive. I want a better driving experience with my new car, not being able to text more easily. Don't get me wrong, I still want all the luxuries like leather seats, heated seats, automatic climate control, auto dim mirror, etc etc. But mostly I want a car, not a high tech Phone Booth.

What are your thoughts?

Rant over.
My 02 Civic has an ECU. Should I have not bought it?

My 11 Accord has ABS, VSA, Traction Control, an ECU. Should I have not bought it?

I concur that safety features that are reactive instead of active may be less prone to malfunction - - reactive means the driver already screwed up. I too worry about the computer taking over the car and this could be fatal. Just imagine if the lane change system forces the car back into the lane which is now occupied by another vehicle? The car should always obey a human override.

But that is the risk to take if we want all these additional safety features for our children who are new to driving. Just like how it is easier to first teach them to drive auto then teach them stick with a 3 or 4G . Much more cars on the road now (including idiots) compared to when I first learned to drive on my dad's 79 Opel Record.

Last edited by internalaudit; 04-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I am really interested in this "coffee is hot warnings" thing. Lexuz doesn't have it! Aha! Got them! LOL.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
https://www.google.com/#q=statistics...bility+control

There's alot of statistics and data for stability control, it saves 600-700 lives/year alone in the US.
Europe and others have similar results, ESC saves lives.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Basically what I am saying is I WANT 6 MT in the TLX and exposed Tail Pipes.

Amen, but I'm afraid we are in the distinct minority. Buyers in America at least want bling and nannies and other driving distractions, not something that will require you to become more involved with driving. Don't get me wrong -- I love my ELS, BT, nav, etc., but I think enough is about enough. I don't want my car to drive itself.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
My CL-S is almost pre-tech, (I do have Navi) and I hand shift it too.
I would like CMBS and ACC in my next car and cooled seats.
As far as sleepy time goes- I know MB and others are adding sleep monitoring systems,
that wake you up after your nap...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Goosew
This is actually what I like about Acura. They don't try and nickle and dime you with pages and pages of options..

There are a few specific trims, you either get it or you don't.!.
There is no free lunch; you pay for everything you get in a car. They just charge you for stuff you may not want but have to take to get other items you do want with only few specific trims & no individual options.

These type packages are configured to up the manufactures take on each sale. Take a look at how the content is configured.

Rather be able to buy Ala Carte so I can to skip over things I don’t want.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Fixed it for you.
With the birth of the TLX

Last edited by mylove4cars; 04-23-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew
You have to remember that all these "Tech features" that you're not happy with are merely SUPPLEMENTARY driver aids.

They are in NO MEANS, supposed to REPLACE the actual driver. If the driver isn't paying attention, then he's gonna crash anyway (even without the collision mitigation system / adaptive cruise control). The point of these is to help MITIGATE (by definition is "to make less severe / serious / painful), not replace.

Also, part of the reason that all these tech features are included is more to "keep up with the Jones' ". If Acura didn't include these things (as other manufacturers do), it's just blood in the water for the other manufacturers.

As for the mechanical refinements you downplay, wait until the car comes out and you drive it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Correct, as of now they arent there to replace the actual driver, BUT Problem is, is they are making the people far to dependent on the systems to help them drive making them worse drivers or giving them the false impression that they are there to fix their lack of driving/attention skills behind the wheel.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Even good drivers can have a moment of distraction on occasion.

I don't think many of you can say that you have never attempted to merge into a lane that had a car near- possibly in a blind spot in the rear quarter panel or something. I bet many people have had a moment in the last year even. This might happen to me once or twice a year- all it takes is one time where both drivers are inattentive and you have a possible accident.

I say bring on the tech when it's unobtrusive and economical. It won't make me a better or worse driver, but I do believe it can reduce accidents which helps all drivers.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

These type packages are configured to up the manufactures take on each sale. Take a look at how the content is configured.

Problem with a al carte is you almost have to order a car. I looked at Lexus GS350 and in the entire region they could not find a color and option config I wanted. I considered another Infiniti, but the order lead was 4 months. Even my Audi I had to order because again finding color and options was impossible. Most people buy a car on the spot and do not want to wait 2-3 months to get it. And most dealers know once you leave the dealership you are not likely coming back.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Although it's true that Acura isn't as bad as other companies when it comes to brands, I miss the days when the only options were nav/no-nav, base/Type-S, and everything else came standard. Pretty simple.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Do we really need the "tech"? No. Is it nice to have it? Yes! Having driven a couple "Tech" laden new cars recently I can see the positives. For those of us who love to drive they are conveniences that can enhance the driving experience. I myself want them in my next vehicle. At the same time those who are heavily dependent upon them so they can do other things than drive probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
Problem with a al carte is you almost have to order a car. I looked at Lexus GS350 and in the entire region they could not find a color and option config I wanted. I considered another Infiniti, but the order lead was 4 months. Even my Audi I had to order because again finding color and options was impossible. Most people buy a car on the spot and do not want to wait 2-3 months to get it. And most dealers know once you leave the dealership you are not likely coming back.
Depends on the system, my BMW's took about 6 weeks. Fords about the same. Expect I have ordered about 90% of my cars going back to 1962 with my first new car a 409/409 bubble top Impala. If I am getting a $50/60K car I want exactly what I want & can put off the instant gratification a bit.

There are very good reasons to buy off the lot, 4 months is a bit loooong, but I have been able to avoid them in most cases.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
There is no free lunch; you pay for everything you get in a car. They just charge you for stuff you may not want but have to take to get other items you do want with only few specific trims & no individual options.

Not a free lunch but a reduced cost lunch, where the cost savings can be very substantial over individual options. When a manufacturer can buy more, that simplifies supply chain management. It also means easier manufacturing. There's nothing wrong with customization but it can complicate assembly and BMW, Lexus, MB,.... charge a fair amount for options that when combined into a group are far cheaper. They also offer option groups, and Acura now has a pretty broad range of trim as well.

Originally Posted by KeithL
+1, it also makes it harder to negotiate since it's not longer apples and apples. I knew I wanted a 2005 6MT TL NBP/Camel, I had to negotiate with several dealers (none had that config) when we reached terms the salesman checked for that config build. Had to wait 4 weeks but it was worth it.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bla8291
Although it's true that Acura isn't as bad as other companies when it comes to options, I miss the days when the only options were nav/no-nav, base/Type-S, and everything else came standard. Pretty simple.
Reposted for correction.
Goosew (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Racer

Some good points here. I am just worried that all this tech will promote more dangerous behavior as texting, driving while tired, etc etc. Stability and Traction control aid the driver but never makes them complacent. Back up cameras are nice, and only thing I wish I had and might get one installed in the car soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 03uc1
don't even bother and start again with the exterior
The exterior of the new Camry sucks.

Which forum am I on again?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Some good points here. I am just worried that all this tech will promote more dangerous behavior as texting, driving while tired, etc etc. Stability and Traction control aid the driver but never makes them complacent. Back up cameras are nice, and only thing I wish I had and might get one installed in the car soon.
It could be argued that the dangerous behavior is already here ... that it's impossible to put the genie back in the bottle and change peoples behavior. For example, our state passed a law that says you cannot hold a mobile device when driving. What do people do? They hold the phone low in their laps while using it to avoid detection. Of course, now they are taking their eyes further away from the road. Essentially, people don't change behavior that readily and the intended 'fix' has made it worse.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I am sure that there is some validity to your concerns, but you can't halt progress because of the few that will always abuse it. Responsible drivers will always be the key.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Superunknown
The exterior of the new Camry sucks.

Which forum am I on again?
Hyundai Enthusiasts zine

Quick Reply: Tech? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.