The tech package makes no sense at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
The tech package makes no sense at all

http://acuraconnected.com/2017/05/19/refreshed-2018-acura-tlx-on-sale-june-1/

for 3700 you get navigation which is not needed with apple car play and hd radio. Thigh extension not needed and chrome piece eww. Probably leather seats too but not mention. It makes even less sense on the 4 cylinder but the advance package come with so much more
Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998

for 3700 you get navigation which is not needed with apple car play and hd radio. Thigh extension not needed and chrome piece eww. Probably leather seats too but not mention. It makes even less sense on the 4 cylinder but the advance package come with so much more
It's a sales tactic, if they throw all that tech in the I4 whybwould you purchase the I6 unless you wanted more power? Everything they do is to get you to buy the top level package.

Its like going to McDonalds and only getting the burger but you know you can get the combo for only a little more. Most people get the combo...
Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Tech gets you:

ELS, NAVI, BSI, rear cross traffic monitor, HD Radio, thigh extension (V6 only), real leather, smart entry on all four doors and rain sensing wipers.

So it's not just NAVI. ELS is pretty good and real leather is nice.
The following 5 users liked this post by iutodd:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-28-2017), Ken1997TL (05-28-2017), mapleloaf (05-28-2017), TacoBello (05-27-2017), wlkeel (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
Tech gets you:

ELS, NAVI, BSI, rear cross traffic monitor, HD Radio, thigh extension (V6 only), real leather, smart entry on all four doors and rain sensing wipers.

Thanks for clarifying. I wish that people would do their research before starting threads such as these.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Worth the 3700 IMO

maybe he was expecting a flux capacitor and be able to time travel for $3700
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-28-2017), mapleloaf (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Worth the 3700 IMO

maybe he was expecting a flux capacitor and be able to time travel for $3700
+ No one is forcing anyone to buy it. Normally in another brand the items may be in a package but also ala carte for more money. The items are all optional in most produce lines.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Tech package doesn't make sense for TS, must not make sense for everyone.....
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
Tech gets you:

I thought starting with the 2018 models, BSI, rear cross traffic monitor, rain sensing wipers and LKAS are standard across all trims (acurawatch package?). I might be wrong but I think the OP see most of these features are standard so why pay extra for navi if OP can use android or apple play, and nicer leather and some other feature on the advance model.
I own a 2016 4cyl tech that came with the feature mentions above and the base model does not have any. If you compared the price of the base model on the 2017 and 2018, the 2018 model got more features but higher price even though they said those came standard.
In the 4cyl, it doesn't make sense to pay for extra for navi, els an real leather if you dont need it. A lot of options out there are not needed, it is all want it. I personally like the built-in navi, make it easier when you're on the road. It does make sense for people who want extra features.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Racer

ah, I was wrong...Base model does not get you the BSI and rear cross traffic, but its gave you plenty of other nice features. Not sure why I can't edit my post =\
Old 05-30-2017, 10:48 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTLXadvance
Its like going to McDonalds and only getting the burger but you know you can get the combo for only a little more. Most people get the combo...
That's a pretty good analogy. TLX is akin to McDonalds.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Racer

With 2017 i like the option on the tech

Is there any official package released yet. I only make comment based on the news from acuraconnected
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998

Looking at the official info from Acura.com, I kind of agree with you. For $3700, I do not see how Tech Package for 4 cylinder is of any kind of value. Here is my opinion on the tech package.

- rain sensing wipers - gimmick
- Milano leather - most of the surfaces are not leather anyway - plus Acura's leather were never of the high quality to begin
- antiquated Navi - no thank you
- ELS Sound - still crap compared to 3g or even 4g TL - people who want good sound will replace the speakers anyway
- song by voice - gimmick
- hd radio - FM is still fine to me from what I can tell
- gps-linked climate control - another gimmick
- blind spot information system - useful, but given that nothing else is really of any real value in the tech package, this put this single item at $3700
- rear cross traffic monitor - another gimmick, I seldom backout so even a backup camera for me is not all the needed/usefull. This just add to the uselessness

I think now that the base TLX with the updated wheels and the Apple Carplay / Android Auto is actually a good value and nice upgrade proposition for people jumping from econo boxes. Once dealersl start discounting those, a base TLX for 27-28k will be a great buy. I might actually pick one up for my wife.

Last edited by mlody; 06-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
^^^60% of that is pretty cool if you ask me
Old 06-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Racer

The base tlx will come with the dual screen, hopefully same quality as the tech. If for some reason it comes with low res i will get the tech. I do like blind spot monitor and cross traffic alert. I alsp like the new espresso color (much lighter than 2017) but only come with tech package

i like the aspec the most but i dont want another car with dark interior and will have to see the red in person. It looks very bright and shiny in the pix with flash

Definitely want the v6 and maybe shawd

Last edited by xedap1998; 06-01-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mlody
Looking at the official info from Acura.com, I kind of agree with you. For $3700, I do not see how Tech Package for 4 cylinder is of any kind of value. Here is my opinion on the tech package.

- Milano leather - most of the surfaces are not leather anyway - plus Acura's leather were never of the high quality to begin
- ELS Sound - still crap compared to 3g or even 4g TL - people who want good sound will replace the speakers anyway
- blind spot information system - useful, but given that nothing else is really of any real value in the tech package, this put this single item at $3700
- rear cross traffic monitor - another gimmick, I seldom backout so even a backup camera for me is not all the needed/usefull. This just add to the uselessness

I think now that the base TLX with the updated wheels and the Apple Carplay / Android Auto is actually a good value and nice upgrade proposition for people jumping from econo boxes. Once dealersl start discounting those, a base TLX for 27-28k will be a great buy. I might actually pick one up for my wife.

The price isn't much different from the previous years. I think it is worth it to get the tech package. Never need any of those extra feature but sure nice to have them. I compared mine with Lexus, Infinity and Audio, and I ended up with the TLX in term of price and how the interior setup. I didn't get the v6 and I am glad I did not. After driven several TLX v6 for a loaner, I am happy I bought the 4cyl model. Not sure if the transmission on the 2018 will be better or the same, but I sure as hell hate the v6 on the 2016-17 model.
for me:
navi - looked outdated but it is a nice feature to have. I think is it better than using my phone, especially in certain area where I have no signal and my gps does not work
Milano leather - It might not be high quality as other brand, but on the cosmetic side, it sure look better than base model
ELS - Totally agreed that they are suck, but I think they are tuned to have a clear clean sound. I ended up disconnected the stock subwoofer and added a 10in sub. Couldn't be happier with my sound system now.
BSI and rear cross traffic - love the feature very helpful but still turn head to check.
rain sensor - a total joke on this feature, never work properly lol
GPS-linked climate - don't know if that ever work on mine.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
This type of stuff will always be a personal thing which is why they make it an option. The most surprising option for me turned out to be the rear cross traffic monitor - I find it incredibly useful. I have also come to like the integrated GPS. Sure the graphics are old but that doesn't make it less functional and after using it for a few years I can appreciate not having to use my phone's GPS for long trips.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Amazing to me how some people are so brilliant as to be able to conclusively review features without actually owning or driving the car.
The following users liked this post:
steve_97060 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Amazing to me how some people are so brilliant as to be able to conclusively review features without actually owning or driving the car.
And usually they're so damn definite about it. Like their word is the final (and only) opinion. I try to ignore them.
The following 2 users liked this post by wlkeel:
mapleloaf (06-05-2017), steve_97060 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
This type of stuff will always be a personal thing which is why they make it an option. The most surprising option for me turned out to be the rear cross traffic monitor - I find it incredibly useful. I have also come to like the integrated GPS. Sure the graphics are old but that doesn't make it less functional and after using it for a few years I can appreciate not having to use my phone's GPS for long trips.
As old as Acura's GPS system is, it came in great use to me yesterday. Was up in the mountains of where the Yuba River flows and I had no cell signal and neither did my friend. GPS in the TLX worked though and got me back on the road. Ok I knew where I was going but in new places like that it's good to have GPS to reassure.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (06-05-2017)