Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any anticipated date when the 2018 MMC will be on dealer lots? Spring/Summer or more like fall? Hoping these have carplay.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I disagree about "new grill needs to flow better".

I like it square, and design-wise, it is just more inline with the gen 3. The front-end reminds me the stance of Audi A6 2012+. Only the logo is too huge.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Do you think that is not the final product we are seeng?

It's but when you see car in person, it's completely different than seeing it from weird angles with 60% visibility. I am not saying it's wow. But it's isn't that bad either...
Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by AZuser
If Acura's goal is to put out cars that are "not that bad," then mission accomplished.

Acura used to be better than "not that bad" though.

Precision Crafted Performance 2.0? Yeah, right.

There used to be something special about an Acura. Now they're just "not that bad"

It's sad that people make their final judgement based on blurry pictures....none of these pictures are taken from a proper angle and the quality of them are beyond garbage.

Anyway, it's your opinion and as i said I will hold my final judgement until I see it in person. Sad that they didn't have it at Montreal Auto Show.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think if Honda puts this in a real car as is they will get killed in the market. Looks like something a dad built for his kids racing sims.

The following users liked this post:
boe_d (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
That picture really reaffirms what someone said earlier in this thread. If the new grill flowed better into the headlight it would look a lot better. Instead of making a grill specifically for the TLX, it's like some just grabbed a MDX grill and said "close enough, let's just use this one".
That's what I've been saying about Acura's "design" for a while. It looks like they just grabbed some stock parts and slapped them together - there was no original drawing or blueprint. You know headlights go in the front, etc. OK - we've used all the parts - not very good looking but we did use every part in the kit.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Not sure about just slapping that grill on. They completely redesigned the front end below the hood to accommodate it. Including redesigning the headlight housing. Additionally the sport and non sport have two separate applications of the grill with the former being more pronounced. While the result may not be ascetically pleasing to some people saying the grill was slapped on is being a bit disingenuous. Where a grill was just slipped on was the 2012 redo of the 4G. Completely destroyed the design ascetic of the car turning it into a real monstrosity. I wasn't a fan of the original beak, but at least you could see what the designers were shooting for. If they didn't have to make that car so big to accomodate the shawd it may have proved to be a striking design.

Originally Posted by boe_d
That's what I've been saying about Acura's "design" for a while. It looks like they just grabbed some stock parts and slapped them together - there was no original drawing or blueprint. You know headlights go in the front, etc. OK - we've used all the parts - not very good looking but we did use every part in the kit.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Honda430
If they didn't have to make that car so big to accomodate the shawd it may have proved to be a striking design.
There are a lot of AWD cars that are smaller than the TLX. They made it the size it is to minimize changes to the Accord platform.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
I was referencing the 4-G TL. It's my understanding that the current SHAWD system in the TLX is smaller than the 4-G version.

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
There are a lot of AWD cars that are smaller than the TLX. They made it the size it is to minimize changes to the Accord platform.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I think everyone is overreacting...I am not afraid to say that it's not that bad at all. I will wait for the final product to form an opinion.
I agree, and I am by no means an Acura fanboy. I haven't owned an Acura since my '05 RL. I still follow the forum because Acura still interests me. I test drove a '16 TLX before going with my '17 A4. I'm hoping Acura will upgrade the interior. Might just be a contender.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I was referencing the 4-G TL. It's my understanding that the current SHAWD system in the TLX is smaller than the 4-G version.
Same statement holds true the Accord set the size not the rear differential.. The 4G was built on the big Accord platform. The Accord was about 1" longer than the TL
Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think if Honda puts this in a real car as is they will get killed in the market. Looks like something a dad built for his kids racing sims.

Acura quite literally copied a transformer-like face for the entire center console. And it looks like that dude is cramming his hand into its mouth. Who approves this stuff? I bet you it was that dolt Marek behind it all. Starting from the V under the navi screen forming spiked horns, moving down, is a face and that's all I can see. The brushed metal helps bring it out nicely too

All it needs now is some glowing eyes in each of the dark spaces. They can put a vtec gauge on one side, and a precision crafted thrillometer on the other

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-29-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Acura quite literally copied a transformer-like face for the entire center console. And it looks like that dude is cramming his hand into its mouth. Who approves this stuff? I bet you it was that dolt Marek behind it all. Starting from the V under the navi screen forming spiked horns, moving down, is a face and that's all I can see. The brushed metal helps bring it out nicely too

All it needs now is some glowing eyes in each of the dark spaces. They can put a vtec gauge on one side, and a precision crafted thrillometer on the other
Good call.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
After going back and looking at this picture... I am starting to believe this car will look good in the flesh. It may look really good actually. It is hard to see the details with this photo (missing yellow side led's and the hood lines are really muted) but the stance looks right and the bottom bumper lip has additional detail I missed before. (there is that chrome in the rear which is baffling) but this car may be, dare I say, attractive, especially if there is a serious performance variant with something like 340-50 Hp. I can start to imagine the FMC being something special. I see where they are going, a la the precision concept. I reserve the right to change my mind of course but I am looking forward to clear pictures.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aurelius:
a35tl (01-30-2017), ostrich (01-30-2017), Tony Pac (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
I disagree about "new grill needs to flow better".

I like it square, and design-wise, it is just more inline with the gen 3. The front-end reminds me the stance of Audi A6 2012+. Only the logo is too huge.
I certainly respect that not everyone has the same opinion. I really wanted to like it because if it truly looked better in my eyes there is a definite chance I would have a home for one next winter. But at this point it's more likely that it would fall well behind a Genesis G80 for me. If you have not seen it, Google the 2018 G80 Sport. They absolutely nailed the look of that car in my opinion.

Yes, the car is a little more than a TLX, but when you load the TLX to equipment levels similar to the G80, add in the 75+ extra horsepower and the discounts available on the Genesis, it's a very appealing option. I realize that is not totally apples to apples. But the point is that other companies are doing a better job of mid life updates. It shows that one company has gotten too content and the other is showing what a hungry company is capable of.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

It's about time Acura debuted in a Transformers movie! As I stare at the photo, I think it will play the inept, comic-relief Decepticon.
TacoBello (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Acura had a beautiful design with the "red carpet athlete" before the production car even came out. Yes they missed the mark there, but the MMC gave them a second chance. They spent what it would have taken to make the "red carpet athlete" into a production car and once again they went a different direction. I really don't understand their decision making processes. Not liking the new grill or the front end on the MMC. Lines going every direction... like chaos. Since they updated the 'beak' grill in 2012 I've never had a problem with it. I considered the Beak dead at that point. Yet some could never get past it and this is the result. As far as front ends go, the 'Beak' was bad. This new grill I'd say is better than the beak but a step back from the current grill. Maybe once they have a change to really get it right at the FMC it will improve, but the MMC looks like a hot mess from the front. Hopefully it looks better in person. Ok, actually I don't think it could look worse in person.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here is what I meant about them just grabbing thr MDX grill and calling it a day. The grill and headlights look WAY better integrated too me than the TLX
Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 PM
AZ Community Team

[QUOTE=
Here is what I meant about them just grabbing thr MDX grill and calling it a day. The grill and headlights look WAY better integrated too me than the TLX
[/QUOTE]

Just compare the two pics and you get all your answers...that's why until you see it in person or get 100% clear with right angle pictures. Don't start hating. Regardless, we hate or like at this point this car is the final product and they will release it.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts

In that pic specifically the headlights look tiny. I already feel that LED headlights are gimmicky and not as good as their HID counterparts. Can't imagine those tiny slits producing good light.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
After going back and looking at this picture... I am starting to believe this car will look good in the flesh. It may look really good actually. It is hard to see the details with this photo (missing yellow side led's and the hood lines are really muted) but the stance looks right and the bottom bumper lip has additional detail I missed before. (there is that chrome in the rear which is baffling) but this car may be, dare I say, attractive, especially if there is a serious performance variant with something like 340-50 Hp. I can start to imagine the FMC being something special. I see where they are going, a la the precision concept. I reserve the right to change my mind of course but I am looking forward to clear pictures.
OK - you need to put the beer down and sleep it off. You don't want to wake up in the morning and find yourself with this thing next to you in the garage. It may not be a double coyote but it is still a coyote. Just kidding - thanks for taking one for the team so your buddy could go home with a nice looking car.

Last edited by boe_d; 01-29-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Sorry still lips on a pig. Until they replace the tranny and put in a new infotainment system and upgrade some of the materials I don't see this making a huge dent in sales.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are no pictures of the rear of the car.. Just to clarify. So there very well may be no rear chrome trim
Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
In that pic specifically the headlights look tiny. I already feel that LED headlights are gimmicky and not as good as their HID counterparts. Can't imagine those tiny slits producing good light.
Actually the Jewel Eye LEDs provide awesome light!! They're great in my TLX and MDX, and much better than my 3G TL and my old 2G MDX and 4G TLs.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Actually the Jewel Eye LEDs provide awesome light!! They're great in my TLX and MDX, and much better than my 3G TL and my old 2G MDX and 4G TLs.
Indeed, I love the Jewel Eye LEDS . They actually keep you from falling asleep on long nighttime journeys.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
So out of all the changes to the MMC, seems people are really happy about the LEDs, which didn't really change (besides signal lights). Makes me laugh a bit lol.
As for the 17 MDX styling, can't really say I like it. I didn't see it in person, but from the pictures it's not really pulling me in. If the MMC is making me feel the same so far from some pictures, I can't really force admiration. I honestly hope some changes did happen inside since the styling is doing nothing to attract some people.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 01-29-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Hello, gents. I'm new here. I've been following this thread and thinking that to get a better idea of the finished MMC it might be better ti simply fill in the earlier spy shots with the information we now have from the new photos which in my opinion are not only blurry, but from bad angles. Initially I didn't like the new grill; however at least on the MDX when I saw in person the the current and new grill on two vehicles parked side by side the new grill was a much needed improvement. Because of that I'll hold judgement on whether or not the new grill works until I see it in front of me. Below are the spy shots released in December. This vehicle is obviously the sports model. When I fill in the taped areas with the details I have now I see a car that's not bad looking at all. Of course that's my opinion only. Notice that the grill is a bit more upright than it is now.

is that a new color or an existing one?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Just compare the two pics and you get all your answers...that's why until you see it in person or get 100% clear with right angle pictures. Don't start hating. Regardless, we hate or like at this point this car is the final product and they will release it.
Tony, I get your point and you certainly may be right. But its a forum, this is what we do!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by SirWaWa
it's a test mule....
test mules dont necessarily translate to real world....
so, it might be one off color just for the test mule
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it's a test mule....
test mules dont necessarily translate to real world....
so, it might be one off color just for the test mule
Agreed. To attempt a guess, it kinda looks like the Vortex Blue from the 2nd gen TSX. It's a lil too bright to be Fathom Blue of the current TLX. Could also be the Aegean Blue of the current Civic.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Are the rear tires larger or is that the angle of the picture?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
As for the 17 MDX styling, can't really say I like it. I didn't see it in person, but from the pictures it's not really pulling me in.
Its hard to get an accurate assessment just from two dimensional pictures, but your mind may be made up already. It looks better in person IMO, surprised you haven't seen them on the road yet, saw the first ones back in the summer, and they are all over the place here in, and around in NYC. I like the front, but think the new rear chrome trim is just change for the sake of change instead of an improvement.

I wonder what's going on with the rear deck on the test mule, new integrated vs stand alone rear spoiler perhaps?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by keith7120
Are the rear tires larger or is that the angle of the picture?
think about it for a sec.
why would a FWD or an AWD (FWD based) have larger rear tires... ?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
think about it for a sec.
why would a FWD or an AWD (FWD based) have larger rear tires... ?
<joke> Marek: "Because it looks better and feels better, total performance package" </joke>
justnspace (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Its hard to get an accurate assessment just from two dimensional pictures, but your mind may be made up already. It looks better in person IMO, surprised you haven't seen them on the road yet, saw the first ones back in the summer, and they are all over the place here in, and around in NYC. I like the front, but think the new rear chrome trim is just change for the sake of change instead of an improvement.

I wonder what's going on with the rear deck on the test mule, new integrated vs stand alone rear spoiler perhaps?
I'll reassess once it's at the dealer, but I don't know. I really do like that new blue color though! Much better than the fantom blue which is too dark IMO. Acura really needs 'real' colors in its lineup. The Civic is killing it in that department (nice red, blue, green). I understand not all of them sale, but if Audi can charge more for Navarro blue for sports, Acura can do the same. I'd pay for it, Ok maybe not 6k like the NSX, but you get the point. Should be unlocked when getting say the A-Spec package.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 01-30-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

Perhaps the same one that's on the back of the white model:

Hard to get a real good idea with the poor photo.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM

I remember the TLX had fitment problems with the spoiler when it first came out...
maybe just improving and fixing so it wont happen again
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
I think it'll look much better in person than what the general consensus is on this thread. The chrome bits are appalling but the grill itself and new lights etc all seem to be pretty good, at least it's somewhat more striking. Even tho if my 15' TLX had some better wheels and a little less wheel well gap it'd look pretty good too! (still things it's an overall good design with good proportions, Acura is just getting the details wrong a bit, talking about my 15 TLX that is)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SirWaWa
It looks brighter than Fathom blue to me. It sort of looks like that blue that was used on the custom Galpin TLX that was shown at SEMA a couple of years ago. Also, I don't know if anyone noticed the tape over the front left fender. There could be a badge hiding there.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by E90 Skye
I think it'll look much better in person than what the general consensus is on this thread. The chrome bits are appalling but the grill itself and new lights etc all seem to be pretty good, at least it's somewhat more striking. Even tho if my 15' TLX had some better wheels and a little less wheel well gap it'd look pretty good too! (still things it's an overall good design with good proportions, Acura is just getting the details wrong a bit, talking about my 15 TLX that is)
I actually really like the wheels on my 15 TLX V6 . The stock wheels on the 4 banger are atrocious though. It would be nice to have a bit of a drop from the factory on the car in general though.