Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I will wait to pass judgement until I see it in person, also. I didn't like the front-end looks at first, but in just a day it has started to grow on me. I do prefer the headlights in the rendering over the actual headlights, the emblem still looks like it was glued on, and I would never buy the sport model in white due to that lower fascia being black, too much contrast. But the car actually doesn't look too bad.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
3.0 engine used in MDX is not turbo, just a naturally aspirated 3L SOHC engine.
My bad, thank you sir for correction!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
They should have waited for fmc before they implemented the grille, even on the mdx. Ut just doesnt mix well with the current shapes on their line up
Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
And it is a Honda, so we assume it will last longer and be more reliable.

Though I will agree it does not measure up in the "gotta have it" department. BUT it should generate a lot great deals on leases since I assume people will be passing on this model as well.

I think Honda builds a great car and I've been a pretty loyal owner over the past decade. In that time I've seen Acura go from gotta get rid of that beak to beakless and still ugly.

Last edited by nothome17; 01-25-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:09 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wish there was a picture of the back end of the "non sport" white one... I think that car looks very nice... It doesn't have the side chrome bit... Maybe it wont have the rear chrome bit... Maybe that red one is "dressed" up with acc's?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Im obliviously the minority, but I like it. Looks more aggressive. To me the "shield" grill of the 15-17 was sedate and boring. Im also a new MDX owner and Im used to the new grill. When I first saw photos of the MDX, I didnt like it. Way too blunt and oversized. But, seen in person, I think it looks much better. Hopefully the TLX looks better in person too.

I think the automotive industry these days is very boring, really only Audi and Mazda is really doing much that I like in the looks department.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Not a fan of the shield grill. Most car companies usually just tweak the existing corporate design on their mid cycle update to keep the vehicle looking fresh but in Acura's case, they launched the APC too early. The shield IMO doesn't work on their preexisting designs. Don't like it on the MDX and definitely dislike it on the TLX. Should have waited for a brand new generation where the vehicle can be completely designed around the shield. My 2016 TLX is my first Acura and when my lease is done, it will probably be my last.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Their refusal to commit to a real Type-S is sad. An A-Spec option is useless. Are they not looking at the competitors? Of course I have no plans to get another Acura no matter what they do.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Autoguide posted an article on the refresh TLX and people's impressions were overwhelmingly negative. Out of 27 comments, 25 were negative with comments ranging from "looks like it was hit in the front" to "will those headlights even work properly?" to "Honda's look better than Acuras and they need to fire the design team".
So it really isn't just us on the forum who dislike it, seems like many enthusists in general dislike it. I honestly did not mind the shield grille in the latest iterations. This on the other hand is a bit too much.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I don't mind that pentagon grill so much.... but what's with all of that crazy chrome on that red TLX!? They slapped it on the side, in the front and rear bumpers and made it look completely incoherent as a design. I despair....
Old 01-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I don't mind that pentagon grill so much.... but what's with all of that crazy chrome on that red TLX!? They slapped it on the side, in the front and rear bumpers and made it look completely incoherent as a design. I despair....
But it worked so well for Buick and Cadillac
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Im obliviously the minority, but I like it. Looks more aggressive. To me the "shield" grill of the 15-17 was sedate and boring. Im also a new MDX owner and Im used to the new grill. When I first saw photos of the MDX, I didnt like it. Way too blunt and oversized. But, seen in person, I think it looks much better. Hopefully the TLX looks better in person too.

I think the automotive industry these days is very boring, really only Audi and Mazda is really doing much that I like in the looks department.
"Herd" mentality will do that on message boards. Most of those who like it will not post for fear of being ridiculed.

This grille looks better to me than the monstrosity that Lexus has gone to on everything now. I really dislike the chrome bits on the sides, though the new wheels look good.

If they improve the interior and add a true "sport" model, I think that is more important and significant. I am very interested to know what the powertrain will be in the Sport model.
The following 3 users liked this post by hondu:
a35tl (01-26-2017), CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-26-2017), wlkeel (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondu
"Herd" mentality will do that on message boards. Most of those who like it will not post for fear of being ridiculed.

This grille looks better to me than the monstrosity that Lexus has gone to on everything now. I really dislike the chrome bits on the sides, though the new wheels look good.

If they improve the interior and add a true "sport" model, I think that is more important and significant. I am very interested to know what the powertrain will be in the Sport model.
Or sometimes it can be the other way around per say "Honda/Acura fan boy/girl/both".
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh my....

As others have mentioned the grille looks absurd. I think the issue can be addressed slightly by painting over the chrome outer edge in the car color, which should give the appearance that the grille is smaller. Also, the huge Acura logo on the grille does little else than draw your eye to the grille, which is already an eye sore. It may have looked better with a small logo on the hood, but that's personal preference. Was Acura copying the ford fusion, because they look strikingly similar now....
boe_d (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
looks just like the new chevy/ford sedan front ends! I'm very disappointed as I thought they were going to go with a true sport model front end. They're struggling to make it look sedan/sport at the same time. I don't know why Acura is shrinking the headlights. It just looks out of sorts with symmetry and lost. The grille is too large and the A should float
Old 01-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
I think this grill as a MMC was a misstep. It is too bold to just slap it on. Even for a MMC it looks so half-ass, even the rear end changes could have waited. I hope I am wrong and it grabs me in person.

Acura- you have competition, people are cross shopping your sedans with kia 's and camry's now. Stop playing. I am waiting for Acura to take the Lexus design leap but it is not looking good. There is a serious problem when Civics look 10x better than Acuras 2x the price.
I think that is the Acura motto these days for the sedans - just half ass it.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nothome17
Or sometimes it can be the other way around per say "Honda/Acura fan boy/girl/both".
I'm am not really a Honda/Acura fanboy. I hated the gigantic shield that was previously on the TL and said as much. I sold my previous Acura TSX to buy a BMW, so I don't blindly buy all of their products.

While this grille change is not perfect, I don't think it as bad as several are posting on here. Either way, styling is very subjective, and the quality of the product is more important.

If Acura actually improves the interior and makes a decent Sport model, I think what the grille looks like is less of an issue...

Last edited by hondu; 01-26-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
I'm am not really a Honda/Acura fanboy. I hated the gigantic shield that was previously on the TL and said as much. I sold my previous Acura TSX to buy a BMW, so I don't blindly buy all of their products.

While this grille change is not perfect, I don't think it as bad as several are posting on here. Either way, styling is very subjective, and the quality of the product is more important.

If Acura actually improves the interior and makes a decent Sport model, I think what the grille looks like is less of an issue...
I think your get by with ... is Acura's problem Or they could go ALL the way - make a decent sports model, improve the interior AND make the front end nice - crazy idea I know.
ZipSpeed (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
So they just took the 2017 MDX front and slapped it on the TSX. This car does not look sporty at all. The Concept still blows this away.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder if that rear bumper is a direct swap for the current TLX, an easier path to exposed exhaust tips....

But yeah that front end is not great
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by boe_d
I think your get by with ... is Acura's problem Or they could go ALL the way - make a decent sports model, improve the interior AND make the front end nice - crazy idea I know.
Since this is a MMC, I knew it would be very difficult to incorporate the entire car design with the new grille, which obviously shows.

However, I think the previous grille and new grille are not the biggest problem with the TLX. Improve the interior (materials/electronics) and add a true sports model are greater needs IMHO.

Lexus sells their abomination of a grille because the rest of the vehicle is a good product. I would think the case is the same on the TLX (though this grille is better than the Lexus design to me).

I imagine they will do a better job on integrating the grille design at FMC, just like they did with the shield.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
I think everyone is overreacting...I am not afraid to say that it's not that bad at all. I will wait for the final product to form an opinion.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Make Acura Great Again. Start by firing Marek and hire new designers.
TacoBello (01-28-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I think everyone is overreacting...I am not afraid to say that it's not that bad at all. I will wait for the final product to form an opinion.
Do you think that is not the final product we are seeng?

Here is what is ironic to me. I was a huge Honda/Acura fan for many years. When the last generation came out, like many others I did not like it. Then in 2012 they made relatively modest changes that to me made a big difference. Big enough that I bought one.

The current generation comes out and it's not nearly as ugly as the last, it's just really boring. So I'm hoping the mid life wakes it up a bit. But now it looks as awkaward as the last generation did BEFORE the 2012 mid-life.

As someone said, it ruins the flow of the lines, and those chrome strips front and back look just plain stupid. And the blacked out lower rear looks forced and tends to make the car look narrow and tall.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Racer

Just a friendly reminder, it's a forum. Always good to hear biased and un-biased reactions. Fun Stuff..
Old 01-26-2017, 06:34 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I am not afraid to say that it's not that bad at all.
If Acura's goal is to put out cars that are "not that bad," then mission accomplished.

Acura used to be better than "not that bad" though.

Precision Crafted Performance 2.0? Yeah, right.

There used to be something special about an Acura. Now they're just "not that bad"

The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
quantum7 (01-26-2017), TacoBello (01-27-2017), WheelMcCoy (01-29-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Bought my first Acura in 1988.....an Integra. Almost 30 years later and I have only owned Acura the entire time. I am really trying to be hopeful for what is coming in the spring, but I am afraid that I will be forced to look elsewhere for Precision Crafted Performance. I think that Acura has forgotten what these words mean.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I thought the white a-spec or sport model looks fine. The grille...well..it just looks like they are desperate to put it on to a car that wasn't designed for it....

On to the technical side of things, I heard the sport model will have the CTR 2.0T engine good for 320-340hp with SH-AWD and possibly 6MT.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
i can forgive a fast ugly car any day of the week. when pushed the tlx is not a bad car at all.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember this is indeed a MMC. Its not a full redesign.. Acura's reintroduction of Precision Crafted Performance will truly be judged on there first ground up redesign. Considering this is a MMC I am encouraged with the direction they are going.. and I think its bodes well for the future. This car isn't perfect for sure but considering what they were working with I think its a step in the right direction. If the chrome bits are the major complaints I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when its finally properly released..
Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Was at the Montreal Auto show tonight and I played a bit with the A4. My girlfriend is really not a car person (she's ok with my TLX). She was absolutely blown away with it, was extremely impressed with materials and tech inside. Imagine this was with a person that really doesn't care about cars. Now for the MMC, the outside does not win any marks. It looks very forced, as if the designers were told at gunpoint to make the precision concept happen, it really does not work. Engines/transmission aside, they better change something about the inside. Many car brands have simply surpassed Acura in all aspects. The A4 is really not that much more than a TLX, but it really feels substantially better inside and out. I felt special in it, something my TLX never made me feel.

I tried the IS 350 F Sport, way too tight for me, my leg was hitting console (girlfriend as well, my height at around 5'11). The 3 series' interior is getting dated, the A4 is eating it up. I was really interested in trying a Q5, but not available yet since the 18 model is about to come out.

The MMC has big shoes to fill, but the exterior is not making it get the attention it needs. It's making people already thinking about discounts due to bad sales. Acura, what have you done? Sales have to go up, people must look at the car and say "yes, I like it!". Not "what the hell is that?!?". Come on, people have been waiting and now are saying "fuck it". Well done, really, bravo....

As for the people saying it looks great, I say great. Go buy one, you'll be the reason why model will be sold out in the first few months. But a lot of comments in many forums are saying it's a step back in design. Should have never been authorized in the first place, Marek....

Last edited by pyrodan007; 01-26-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I think i am a minority here

I actually like the new design much better than the 15-17. Now it not wow look at me, but i dont think people buy honda/acura for that main reason. I was so excited when the 15 come out but couldnt get over how boring and plain it was compare to a 2016 accord. I wanted the exhaust tips and beak gone now my wish came true. Now if they get rid of the 2 screens and put a 2.0 turbo engine in there and 8 speed dct or 10 speed with the 3.5 i will buy. I also think the 2017 mdx look much better from outside than 2014-2016

Now maybe because i dont own the tlx yet that is why my opinion might be different than someone already do

I used to own a 97 prelude and my 04 TL getting long on the tooth

Last edited by xedap1998; 01-26-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Were people really expecting a massive departure from what the TLX looked like for a mid-cycle refresh??l?? The comparison to the photoshop is pretty ridiculous. What car doesn't look better with a drop, 20 inch wheels, and more aggressive aero. Right on the heels of the MDX, this should be no surprise.

Didn't like the MDX front end in pictures, but I really like it in person, so I will wait to see the angles in person. The rear of the MDX however seems a little busy to me, and doesn't flow as well IMO. Seems more like change for the sake of change rather than an improvement on the original design.

I do like that the body kit seems to be more than pieces tacked on with hardware, and adhesives. If they really went with different bumpers, etc, then they are finally catching up to everyone else, but if they don't tweak the power or handling of a sporty looking variant, then why bother...

EDIT: THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT THE TLX REFRESH. KEEP IT ON TOPIC TO THE TLX!!

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 01-27-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I'll reserve judgement for when I see it in person but I thought the Civic was awful and that has since grown on me quite a bit. If nothing else I am happy to see that they went boldly for an MMC and took some chances.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I'll reserve judgement for when I see it in person but I thought the Civic was awful and that has since grown on me quite a bit. If nothing else I am happy to see that they went boldly for an MMC and took some chances.
I'm sure Honda/Acura people are listening since they did have to make some early MMC's for the 2008 TL and 2014 Civic. It looks like they are trying to replicate the 3G TL looks for a modern look but it's not working out. Slowly they are making progress and maybe the next Gen TLX will look better. OR just bring back the 3G TL and drop new tech in it and call it a day. While they are at it, do the same for the 1st Gen TSX and rename it ILX.

Last edited by nothome17; 01-27-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just picked up this spy shot of the '18

Might those be exposed exhaust pipes? Grill logo IMHO is too big but overall a better front end.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-27-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Hello, gents. I'm new here. I've been following this thread and thinking that to get a better idea of the finished MMC it might be better ti simply fill in the earlier spy shots with the information we now have from the new photos which in my opinion are not only blurry, but from bad angles. Initially I didn't like the new grill; however at least on the MDX when I saw in person the the current and new grill on two vehicles parked side by side the new grill was a much needed improvement. Because of that I'll hold judgement on whether or not the new grill works until I see it in front of me. Below are the spy shots released in December. This vehicle is obviously the sports model. When I fill in the taped areas with the details I have now I see a car that's not bad looking at all. Of course that's my opinion only. Notice that the grill is a bit more upright than it is now.

The following 3 users liked this post by Honda430:
ostrich (01-30-2017), Tony Pac (01-28-2017), wlkeel (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just picked up this spy shot of the '18

Might those be exposed exhaust pipes? Grill logo IMHO is too big but overall a better front end.

That picture really reaffirms what someone said earlier in this thread. If the new grill flowed better into the headlight it would look a lot better. Instead of making a grill specifically for the TLX, it's like some just grabbed a MDX grill and said "close enough, let's just use this one".
Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The original TLX concept from 2014 was a great looking car. It's too bad the production was so bland. At the time, the complaints were: no exhaust tips, small rims, narrow tires, boring rim design, no sport trim. While this MMC is not perfect, it seems like Acura listened and tried to fix many of the complaints. We now see exhaust tips, larger rims, possibly wider tires, and a sport trim.

I'm hoping there will be some updates on the powertrain.
The following 3 users liked this post by iforyou:
a35tl (01-28-2017), Mr Hyde (01-30-2017), WheelMcCoy (01-29-2017)