Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC) - Page 23 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community



Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #881
I love tacos
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 23,469
Thanked 3,360 Times in 2,520 Posts
Which Type S? The one from 10 years ago? No.

Or the future Type S, if it ever comes, that currently doesn't exist? No.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #882
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 25
Posts: 16
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
First off, the J-series is an archaic SOHC setup
Um what? Dual cams aren't archaic?
b4hand is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #883
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 216
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
What century are they planning to release the TLX-S? Just curious, is all.

honda normally announces everything they are working on. A couple years ago, they announced they were working on three new engines, well before they came out (1.5T, 2.0T, and I think a 1.0T for foreign markets). Same with their cars- they made it fairly well known there would be no Type S for the MMC for the TLX. I was secretly hoping they were just not saying anything about it, but that wasn't the case. No words meant no development.

I'm surprised to hear they are building a TT-V6 now. There's been no rumors about it. I'm also surprised they would make a TT-V6 available, since that's what powers the NSX. Not that they have anything in common, but as far as perception goes, it makes the halo car look a bit less special (not that I agree, but it seems Honda feels otherwise). I could see a V6T. But I dunno, either way, it'll be something like a 3.0L turbo, which really, is barely keeping up with the times. They're still several years behind in that regard.

Either way, I guess time will tell. I doubt a 3.5L TT V6 would happen... Too much stepping on the NSXs toes, even if the engines are completely different. Likely a 3.0L V6T. Maybe a 3.0L V6TT if we are lucky.
According to the guy that I spoke to, during my NSX ride along, it seems that Jon Ikeda wants to bring the performance back to the brand. It started with the NSX and continues with the return of the Type-S for the TLX. He didn't mention what engine would be used, but 400 hp is the goal. Whether that will be a V6-TT or a V6-T, remains to be seen.
CaliAtenza is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #884
UGLY KIT CAR GUY!!
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 75
Posts: 4,275
Thanked 900 Times in 520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraFreeAgent View Post
Is the type s like a BMW m3 or benz amg price wise?
No. IMHO If they did a Type-S correctly it would be like a BMW M-Sport MPPK/MPE TT6 with 355hp. Possibly also like the preceding with the track package if it had a selectable real time suspension, steering, brakes & trans upgrades. Under $60K. Think a M or AMG competitor would be well outside any logical potential Acura price range $70/80K

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #885
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 8,595
Thanked 447 Times in 310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I've heard rumors of a Type S for the last five years, and look where we are.

Until Honda says it themselves, it's nothing but hearsay.
lol dude I know. I was simply replying to your post, where you said "there's been no rumors about it." Of course, they are rumors because Honda hasn't confirmed anything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha0 View Post
And what does Honda/Acura get by keeping V6 turbo a secret? It is not as if rest of the world will try to copy them..They are the only ones without a 6 cyl turbo..
Let's say they do come out and confirm about V6 Turbo, what's gonna happen? Let me make some guesses:

"Oh why did they announce now when it's not gonna be in any cars until 2 years later?"
"Here we go, NSX 2.0 all over again, there will be delays and delays and more delays. Typical Honda and their clueless marketing"
"LOL nice job Honda. But you are already years late, and you telling us that the V6 turbo won't be out until 3 years later? LOL What a joke!"
"Typical Honda, all talk. Why not make them available first before talking? I will believe it when I see them available for sale"

Not saying that they should or should not announce any plans. But just showing what are some possible responses from people. Either way, they lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
The reasons I don't see a TT V6 happening for Honda in the next 10 years is due to multiple inherent design issues. First off, the J-series is an archaic SOHC setup (these don't work well with turbos from what I understand). Second off unless Honda is moving to a RWD platform (never happening) no FWD platform will handle 400hp (though Ford is pushing 380lb/ft with the MKX in FWD trim too). Lastly there is no new V6 engine lineup in development for Honda right now.....so to complete my point. It is not happening.

It simply does not go along with Acura's mission. Yes they are moving towards sport, they however are using hybrid tech to acheive that. They still are too concerned with being green and tree hugging.
I don't know if it's correct to assume that if Honda goes turbo, they will do it with the J series? May be they will just start a new engine family?

You don't really need RWD platform for make 400hp+. Other than the R8, all Audi models are all FWD platforms with AWD as an option. The S8 Plus has no problem putting 600hp down.

How do we know for sure Honda does not have a new V6 engine under development? I doubt that they will say much until at least there are some working prototypes. The last time they made engine announcement, like the 1.0T, 1.5T, and 2.0T, they were pretty much available for media testing.

Also plans change often. Like the NSX, it changed from NA V6 J series to a bespoke turbocharged 3.5TT engine. Honda can make a V6 turbo engine and also combine it with hybrid tech.
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #886
Registered Member
 
ZipSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 58
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Honda can make a V6 turbo engine and also combine it with hybrid tech.
The SH-SH-AWD is definitely one thing Acura can capitalize upon. Seeing that the NSX is outside the realm of affordability for plebs like me, a TLX Type-S with similar tech to the RLX/NSX would be the next best thing. 400-ish combined system horsepower with a decent tranny and good looks, and I'll sign up for the next TLX.
ZipSpeed is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #887
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
 
Tonyware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,625
Thanked 333 Times in 243 Posts
And then this happened ... Acura TLX-L for China's need for leg room

Article link: 2017/04/19 ? Acura Connected and here (for Chinese speaking, or is that in Japanese? not sure) : http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...7/1055765.html

(sorry if repost)


Last edited by Tonyware; 04-19-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Tonyware is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #888
UGLY KIT CAR GUY!!
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 75
Posts: 4,275
Thanked 900 Times in 520 Posts
Nice Really gives the car great proportions. Good balance to the eye. My grandson interned in Shanghai last summer & saw a lot of Acuras & Buicks.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-19-2017 at 08:07 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #889
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,350
Thanked 353 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
lol dude I know. I was simply replying to your post, where you said "there's been no rumors about it." Of course, they are rumors because Honda hasn't confirmed anything.....



Let's say they do come out and confirm about V6 Turbo, what's gonna happen? Let me make some guesses:

"Oh why did they announce now when it's not gonna be in any cars until 2 years later?"
"Here we go, NSX 2.0 all over again, there will be delays and delays and more delays. Typical Honda and their clueless marketing"
"LOL nice job Honda. But you are already years late, and you telling us that the V6 turbo won't be out until 3 years later? LOL What a joke!"
"Typical Honda, all talk. Why not make them available first before talking? I will believe it when I see them available for sale"

Not saying that they should or should not announce any plans. But just showing what are some possible responses from people. Either way, they lose.



I don't know if it's correct to assume that if Honda goes turbo, they will do it with the J series? May be they will just start a new engine family?

You don't really need RWD platform for make 400hp+. Other than the R8, all Audi models are all FWD platforms with AWD as an option. The S8 Plus has no problem putting 600hp down.

How do we know for sure Honda does not have a new V6 engine under development? I doubt that they will say much until at least there are some working prototypes. The last time they made engine announcement, like the 1.0T, 1.5T, and 2.0T, they were pretty much available for media testing.

Also plans change often. Like the NSX, it changed from NA V6 J series to a bespoke turbocharged 3.5TT engine. Honda can make a V6 turbo engine and also combine it with hybrid tech.
But you are overlooking 1 KEY difference between the FWD Honda uses and the FWD audi uses. One is transverse (therefore unequal length half shafts leading to TERRIBLE torque steer) and transverse transaxles are typically not as robust as longitudinal transmissions that have equal half axles and therefore much better control and robustness combined.

The one big hole in my whole argument is that lincoln has an AWD system in the MKZ and continental similar to SH-AWD system and has a 3.0TT engine with 400hp and 400lb/ft and it is doing great.

So this brings me back to my argument, Acura is too tree hugging to try this. IF a type S comes, it will be a hybrid not a TT V6:

Last edited by RDX10; 04-19-2017 at 08:52 PM.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #890
Registered Member
 
randomRon82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 765
Thanked 890 Times in 303 Posts

randomRon82 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to randomRon82 For This Useful Post:
silverTL6 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #891
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 28,879
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
TFL is driving one tomorrow.

Teh Jatt is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh Jatt For This Useful Post:
silverTL6 (04-20-2017), wlkeel (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 AM   #892
06 TL MT + 05 S4 MT
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fremont, CA
Age: 39
Posts: 448
Thanked 92 Times in 52 Posts
^
"We felt that our v6 with 290 horsepower was, you know, a great engine to start with, and one of the things our customers wanted was the look to match that performance"

If only he had given the statement below, things would be a lot different around here...

"We felt that our look was, you know, a great look to start with, and one of the things our customers wanted was an engine to match that promise of performance"

Last edited by silverTL6; 04-20-2017 at 03:01 AM.
silverTL6 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #893
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
 
Tonyware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,625
Thanked 333 Times in 243 Posts
That Shanghai TLX-L... it is quite possible they scavenged the RLX frame/drivetrain and fitted some stretched TLX panels on it. Well, that is one way to finally sell some RLXs
Tonyware is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #894
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 540
Thanked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Geez.....while I appreciate the interview, get a couple of seconds showing the car and features on screen and the majority of the interview showing the Acura employee. Hopefully the drive video will be much better.
graphicguy is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #895
UGLY KIT CAR GUY!!
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 75
Posts: 4,275
Thanked 900 Times in 520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Um what? Dual cams aren't archaic?
Archaic might be a bad choice of words but a SOHC is a cheap alternative that does not function as well as a DOHC set.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #896
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,350
Thanked 353 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Archaic might be a bad choice of words but a SOHC is a cheap alternative that does not function as well as a DOHC set.
DOHC have been out since almost 30 years ago...so yes still using SOHC is somewhat archaic. It's not as bad as say OHV or anything like that but still didn't Honda pioneer DOHC, why are they still using SOHC?
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #897
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 8,595
Thanked 447 Times in 310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Nice Really gives the car great proportions. Good balance to the eye. My grandson interned in Shanghai last summer & saw a lot of Acuras & Buicks.
haha that's what a few extra inches can do


Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
But you are overlooking 1 KEY difference between the FWD Honda uses and the FWD audi uses. One is transverse (therefore unequal length half shafts leading to TERRIBLE torque steer) and transverse transaxles are typically not as robust as longitudinal transmissions that have equal half axles and therefore much better control and robustness combined.

The one big hole in my whole argument is that lincoln has an AWD system in the MKZ and continental similar to SH-AWD system and has a 3.0TT engine with 400hp and 400lb/ft and it is doing great.

So this brings me back to my argument, Acura is too tree hugging to try this. IF a type S comes, it will be a hybrid not a TT V6:
haha, no man, I'm not overlooking that difference as your post clearly said, " no FWD platform will handle 400hp. " I was merely just pointing that out.

Audi uses longitudinal FWD platform, which....is still a FWD platform. The point is that FWD platform can handle higher if needed. As you mentioned, going long + AWD is the key.

If they want to get more power, then they need to boost the V6. Either that, or somehow they can squeeze out way more power out of the electric hybrid system. The latter sounds more difficult though without adding substantially more weight.
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #898
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 8,595
Thanked 447 Times in 310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
DOHC have been out since almost 30 years ago...so yes still using SOHC is somewhat archaic. It's not as bad as say OHV or anything like that but still didn't Honda pioneer DOHC, why are they still using SOHC?
When the J series was developed, one of the key requirements was lightweight and compactness. It's also cheaper with less parts involved. In theory, there's also less inertia and more low end torque. The J series is one of the most compact V6's engine series in the world. SOHC had its limitations.

SOHC had its limitations. Over the years however, Honda managed to overcome some of these limitations with the J series. even though it's a SOHC design, it's packed with technologies that make it competitive against other non-boosted V6. When it comes to real world performance, fuel economy, smoothness, and reliability, we can't deny the J series is still competitive against its main competition.
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #899
I love tacos
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 23,469
Thanked 3,360 Times in 2,520 Posts
I would never buy a car from you, if you were a salesman
TacoBello is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #900
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 23
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Getting back to the original purpose of this thread haha

Found a couple Honda/Acura PR guys on Instagram and thought i'd share for those of you who aren't on social media. Coming from a 3G TL owner, I don't think the refresh is all that bad. I've definitely seen worse within the premium/luxury segment. Looks a lot more striking than the CLA, and more aggressive than the C-Class and some variants of the 3-Series. It's distinctive lol. Looks like a more natural successor to the 3G in my eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)-screen-shot-2017-04-20-5.46.22-pm.png   Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)-screen-shot-2017-04-20-5.47.45-pm.png   Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)-screen-shot-2017-04-20-5.46.44-pm.png   Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)-screen-shot-2017-04-20-5.47.04-pm.png   Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)-screen-shot-2017-04-20-5.47.25-pm.png  


Last edited by jehuh; 04-20-2017 at 04:55 PM.
jehuh is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #901
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Age: 62
Posts: 69
Thanked 43 Times in 20 Posts
Here are a few more. The white looks really sweet in the light it was shot in.




Honda430 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #902
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 26
Posts: 453
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
The front-end is really growing on me. I might have to give up my 16 TLX for an A-Spec.
edmua6 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #903
Registered Member
 
jhb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 84
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmua6 View Post
The front-end is really growing on me. I might have to give up my 16 TLX for an A-Spec.
Lots of people don't like it. Hope it stays that way so they discount it like the current model. I think this is a major upgrade to the look and suspension changes/seat upgrades as well. I have the 2017 white and this 2018 Aspec to me is a huge upgrade on it looks wise. Many don't like the grill but I think it looks great and they didn't go crazy like lexus did. If anything I wish they would offered the espresso leather in the Aspec.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #904
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 371
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
youtube video

not sure if it has been posted
xedap1998 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #905
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 56,805
Thanked 12,844 Times in 9,567 Posts
as a guy that has driven a v6 TLX on a few occasions, and daily drives something with substantially more HP...
there's really no need for more power than it currently has IMO in day to day driving, it's plenty fastquick.
Sure, bragging rights, showing off etc but really, more power would get away from the efficiency and reliability that the brand became famous for to begin with.
Not whoring themselves out might be what Honda is doing differently and maybe in the end, that'll make them victorious as a long standing reasonably successful brand.
Shoot, even the 4G...hate it or love it, but it's still a unique car that isn't often mistaken with any of the competitor's sea of uniform design on wheels.
rockstar143 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockstar143 For This Useful Post:
a35tl (04-20-2017), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-24-2017), nore03 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #906
Registered Member
 
jhb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 84
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
2017 vs 2018
jhb31 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #907
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 28,879
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #908
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 173
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
It seems there is embargo to publish test drive results..I was curious to see how suspension and other changes impacted driving feel of A-spec model..
alpha0 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #909
tehLEGOman
 
ACCURATEin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 34
Posts: 8,574
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,123 Posts
I like this.
ACCURATEin is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #910
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 28,879
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Espresso interior with green seat belts

Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #911
Registered Member
 
a35tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 779
Thanked 215 Times in 135 Posts
The more I see, the more I like it. A-Spec looks very sharp!
a35tl is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #912
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 28,879
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
The Fast Lane review

have to wait until May 18th for driving impressions


Last edited by Teh Jatt; 04-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #913
Senior Moderator
 
F23A4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 49
Posts: 16,035
Thanked 352 Times in 237 Posts
Misspoke on the displacement numbers. Any chance Acura will officially release the new A Spec with >290hp come May 18th?
F23A4 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #914
I love tacos
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 23,469
Thanked 3,360 Times in 2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
as a guy that has driven a v6 TLX on a few occasions, and daily drives something with substantially more HP...
there's really no need for more power than it currently has IMO in day to day driving, it's plenty fastquick.
Sure, bragging rights, showing off etc but really, more power would get away from the efficiency and reliability that the brand became famous for to begin with.
Not whoring themselves out might be what Honda is doing differently and maybe in the end, that'll make them victorious as a long standing reasonably successful brand.
Shoot, even the 4G...hate it or love it, but it's still a unique car that isn't often mistaken with any of the competitor's sea of uniform design on wheels.
1. Not everyone has a second, fast vehicle. They have one vehicle that they likely want to be able to multi-task. In today's day and age, 290hp isn't winning anything, by a long shot. Especially when Accords and Camry's are in the realm of 270-280hp and those cars don't come at a premium price.

2. While 290hp isn't bad, I keep hearing that the car is still slower than the 3G TL-S. That's not exactly stellar.

3. While 290hp is plenty for many, some just want something a bit more powerful for their daily vehicle. Not sure why you'd say it's for showing off or bragging rights. Even 350hp isn't anything worth bragging about these days.

4. Why did you buy a 550hp vehicle, if power and speed aren't a priority, and you'd be happy with half the power?I don't buy your argument at all.

5. I'm guessing you haven't been following the reality of where Acura sits these days, in terms of reliability. They are NOT what they used to be. By a long shot.

6. Acura has got themselves in the pickle they're in now, by not listening to want consumers want, but rather telling them what they should want. There have been many people scorned by the brand. If that's what it means to be different, then so be it. But pushing people away generally isn't a very good business plan and eventually catches up to you. Granted, you can't please everyone, nor should Acura even try to please everyone. But offering a sport model just opens the brand up to more potential buyers. I can't imagine that's a bad thing.

By the end of the day, 290hp is good for a base model TLX. But there are enough people who want more and are willing to pay more for it. I don't think the TLX should come standard with 350hp. That would be ludicrous. But having a sport option to allow people to have 350-400hp seems reasonable. It's still not a rocket ship, but at least gives people the opportunity to have a very practical vehicle with sporting abilities.
TacoBello is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TacoBello For This Useful Post:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-24-2017), jjsC5 (04-23-2017), silverTL6 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #915
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 173
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F23A4 View Post
Misspoke on the displacement numbers. Any chance Acura will officially release the new A Spec with >290hp come May 18th?
May be, it may have 4-5 more hp and 1-2 more lbft just like Accord sport (due to different exhaust system?).
alpha0 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #916
Registered Member
 
jhb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 84
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
-

Last edited by jhb31; 04-21-2017 at 08:49 PM.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #917
Registered Member
 
jhb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 84
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
1. Not everyone has a second, fast vehicle. They have one vehicle that they likely want to be able to multi-task. In today's day and age, 290hp isn't winning anything, by a long shot. Especially when Accords and Camry's are in the realm of 270-280hp and those cars don't come at a premium price.

2. While 290hp isn't bad, I keep hearing that the car is still slower than the 3G TL-S. That's not exactly stellar.

3. While 290hp is plenty for many, some just want something a bit more powerful for their daily vehicle. Not sure why you'd say it's for showing off or bragging rights. Even 350hp isn't anything worth bragging about these days.

4. Why did you buy a 550hp vehicle, if power and speed aren't a priority, and you'd be happy with half the power?I don't buy your argument at all.

5. I'm guessing you haven't been following the reality of where Acura sits these days, in terms of reliability. They are NOT what they used to be. By a long shot.

6. Acura has got themselves in the pickle they're in now, by not listening to want consumers want, but rather telling them what they should want. There have been many people scorned by the brand. If that's what it means to be different, then so be it. But pushing people away generally isn't a very good business plan and eventually catches up to you. Granted, you can't please everyone, nor should Acura even try to please everyone. But offering a sport model just opens the brand up to more potential buyers. I can't imagine that's a bad thing.

By the end of the day, 290hp is good for a base model TLX. But there are enough people who want more and are willing to pay more for it. I don't think the TLX should come standard with 350hp. That would be ludicrous. But having a sport option to allow people to have 350-400hp seems reasonable. It's still not a rocket ship, but at least gives people the opportunity to have a very practical vehicle with sporting abilities.
Having had the 3rd Gen Type S and the TLX there is no doubt the Type S was faster, handled better, never hesitated and stopped faster. I may be mistaken but when the Type S came out it was marginally more HP than the TL at that time but I do think the original Tl in 2004 had over rated HP and was really lower than stated and was corrected in 2007 (the tl I believe had a 3.2ltr engine and the type S was 3.5ltr). Even after HP was corrected the type S with marginally more HP was very fast. The current TLX with a modest bump to 320-330 HP and the right trans would be a very nice car and satisfy most people. I think the suspension upgrade will help as the TLX really feels like a heavy car compared to the Type S with the stiffer suspension and larger sway bars. Also the tuned exhuast on the type S was great but the Aspec is supposed to have some improvement in that area.

I guess overall the 3rd generation type S had a very nimble feel and the power always was there even though "only" 286 HP.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-21-2017 at 08:48 PM.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #918
I love tacos
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 23,469
Thanked 3,360 Times in 2,520 Posts
You're right. The 3G TL was originally rated at 270hp, but then after whatever standard of measuring came out, was dropped to 258hp. Nothing actually changed. Just the recorded power output.

The TL-S did actually put down 286hp. So a 28hp increase over the base TL
TacoBello is offline  
Old 04-22-2017, 02:57 AM   #919
06 TL MT + 05 S4 MT
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fremont, CA
Age: 39
Posts: 448
Thanked 92 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha0 View Post
May be, it may have 4-5 more hp and 1-2 more lbft just like Accord sport (due to different exhaust system?).
Knowing Acura, they would've repeatedly stated this was "the most powerful TLX ever" if there really was a change in ratings. Nevertheless I understand the (hopeless) optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
You're right. The 3G TL was originally rated at 270hp, but then after whatever standard of measuring came out, was dropped to 258hp.
Hmm, wonder if the 2G TL-S' 260 hp was also overrated. If not, that meant the base 3G was actually a downgrade in terms of power, just like the 4G AWD to TLX?

Last edited by silverTL6; 04-22-2017 at 03:01 AM.
silverTL6 is offline  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #920
Registered Member
 
holografique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 43
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 905 Times in 465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomRon82 View Post


Well...that shoulda been the RLX all along. Much better looking than the current design.
holografique is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to holografique For This Useful Post:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-23-2017)
 
 
Closed Thread


Tags
tlx mmc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: