Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
For A-spec model, did he mention any transmission (sw or hw) changes? How about different brakes and tires?
So for the A-spec, he didn't mention any transmission changes, but that may not mean there isn't one. He said the exterior pieces will be different, which we have already seen. There will be an upgraded suspension and I'm assuming new tires and brakes to go along with that too. The V6 will have larger, round exhaust openings, as we have already seen too.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Balanced chassis with rear wheel bias, turbo v6 and a decent transmission are basic building blocks of performance oriented midsize sedans. Idiots at Acura wasted a decade assuming that people will line up for so called smart luxury (or smart performance) based on accord chassis, J35 and 350 lbs of batteries. Once the basic building blocks are there, other issues can be relatively easy.
If Acura could replace the rear dual clutch packs on the rear axles with a single active differential that maintains the ability to overdrive the rear wheels like SH-AWD, they could then offer a true sport mode with a constant 70% rear bias thus eliminating the need for a RWD platform while still proving all the benefits of a FWD platform (namely ease of manufacturing, packaging, efficiency...etc) and the advantages of SH-AWD. IMHO the biggest issue with SH-AWD is that it only sends 70% under hard cornering...where I beleive it should be 50/50 all the time unless sport mode is engaged and thus 70% goes to the rear constantly with 100% of that power going to the opposite side of the turn (like how SH-AWD works right now). If subaru can get it, why can't Acura?

Then, the J35 NEEDS TO DIE already. Timing belts and SOHC NEEDS TO DIE. It is the Era of DOHC and Turbos.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
If Acura could replace the rear dual clutch packs on the rear axles with a single active differential that maintains the ability to overdrive the rear wheels like SH-AWD, they could then offer a true sport mode with a constant 70% rear bias thus eliminating the need for a RWD platform while still proving all the benefits of a FWD platform (namely ease of manufacturing, packaging, efficiency...etc) and the advantages of SH-AWD. IMHO the biggest issue with SH-AWD is that it only sends 70% under hard cornering...where I beleive it should be 50/50 all the time unless sport mode is engaged and thus 70% goes to the rear constantly with 100% of that power going to the opposite side of the turn (like how SH-AWD works right now). If subaru can get it, why can't Acura?

Then, the J35 NEEDS TO DIE already. Timing belts and SOHC NEEDS TO DIE. It is the Era of DOHC and Turbos.
If they are doing all these, why leave Front to Rear weight distribution at 60:40? Why not balance it properly with longitudinal engine?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

If they are doing all these, why leave Front to Rear weight distribution at 60:40? Why not balance it properly with longitudinal engine?
I agree with you, but 50:50 isn't always the case even in longitudinal setups. I would argue that even though it may be the ideal setup, it isn't always needed. Take for example the Focus RS, it also has a 60:40 F-R distribution and is putting down 1.04 lateral G's and is a track monster. However I believe ford has something called the revo knuckle which prevents torque steer (and probably helps with some front end push) that occurs as a result of one axle being shorter in transverse setups.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Racer

I agree with you, but 50:50 isn't always the case even in longitudinal setups. I would argue that even though it may be the ideal setup, it isn't always needed. Take for example the Focus RS, it also has a 60:40 F-R distribution and is putting down 1.04 lateral G's and is a track monster. However I believe ford has something called the revo knuckle which prevents torque steer (and probably helps with some front end push) that occurs as a result of one axle being shorter in transverse setups.
Audis with longitudinal engines have about 55:45 weight distribution due to position of engine. And reviewers mention nose heaviness for all these audis. But i agree, turbo engine and rear wheel bias are more important than balanced chassis.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Just waiting for the TLX MMC to be out...this thread is going North, South, East and West but no destination. lol
Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Just waiting for the TLX MMC to be out...this thread is going North, South, East and West but no destination. lol
The same can be said with Acura's management ba-dum tss
Honestly, they must announce something soon. They did it with the MDX SH-SH-AWD last year. People that are waiting for sedans will simply give up and jump ship.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Honestly, they must announce something soon. They did it with the MDX SH-SH-AWD last year. People that are waiting for sedans will simply give up and jump ship.
I don't really think anyone's waiting for Acura anymore to be honest except for a very select few. The 2G TLX better make a damn splash or they can kiss it goodbye. Infiniti came out with the Q50, arguably it wasn't crazy popular and now they put in a twin turbo V6 and people are looking and talking about infiniti again.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Agreed! i hope they read these comments
Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Smile

I don't really think anyone's waiting for Acura anymore to be honest except for a very select few. The 2G TLX better make a damn splash or they can kiss it goodbye. Infiniti came out with the Q50, arguably it wasn't crazy popular and now they put in a twin turbo V6 and people are looking and talking about infiniti again.

That's a very bold comment that no one is waiting for Acura. I think Acura and Infiniti are targeting different market now. Infiniti is producing 400HP Q60 and Acura doesn't have 300HP TLX.
i am not a fan boy but I like Acura products and I hope by the time i change my car, i find the right Acura
Old 03-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
My local dealer had their open house/tech day today. They also had a pre-production NSX available for test-rides, being given by a regional rep. I got to ride it and damn it is FAST. It really pushes you back in your seat without any warning, which I enjoyed! The tech in the car is insane (quiet mode, the seamless switching of the modes, etc). I definitely have this car on my list to own, sometime in the future. Anyways, the rep and I were talking during the drive and he said the 2018 TLX actually looks really good in person. The A-spec package (the white one that we have seen) apparently is gonna have upgraded suspension and a free-er flowing exhaust, which may add like 5 or so hp. Also, every model in the Acura lineup is getting an A-spec option. The real treat is for the model year 2020 though, as the Type-S WILL return. According to him, the management has heard our concerns and the Type-S is part of that. They are shooting for 400 hp out of a TT V6. He had no other details than that though. I'm gonna assume a 7 DCT or some version of the 9 DCT from the NSX plus the SH-AWD system.
There was a guy taking delivery on an NSX when I picked up my TLX a couple days ago. I really like the ability to switch the exhaust from loud to quite, although I was surprised even in the loud setting it was not insanely loud. Anyway, I hope you are right on all the changes. I mentioned this a couple weeks back that the Sales manager at my local dealership said at the regional meeting with Acura (about 4 weeks back) saw the prototype as well. He said its pretty much the same as the spy photos (which I think didn't show it well). He also confirmed the A-spec option but said there were no performance upgrades which I took to be suspension/powertrain. I tend to think based on what he told me the type S will not be out in the first year of the 2nd Gen TLX but more likely a mid cycle add. The TT V6 has been floating out there for a few years now. I would be plenty happy if they could get something out there with a better trans and 320ish HP along with a big brake package. Maybe they show it at the NY auto show. Maybe the delay is that they are still adding in some more changes to it.

I probably should have waited to see what the 2018 update brings for sure but the trade in, .9% financing and super discount off the sticker at the dealership made me pull the trigger. They put no pressure at all to push the 2017 model but did say the deal on the 18 would not be close to what they did on the 17. I think the biggest thing I dislike on the 2017 having had it a few days are those bridgestone tires. They suck. The infotainment system definitely is not intuitive but the ability to add permanent shortcuts really negates a little of that and taking a little time to figure it out helps. The stereo after some adjustment actually sounds pretty good to me relative to my 3rd gen I traded in. I would like a little more exhaust sound when stepping into it, not loud but like my type S which was quite when you were just driving normal but sounded nice when you got on it. Anyway I am with everyone else hoping for a pleasant surprise. I think they will have the look nailed fairly well and then just have some performance mods/changes along with a few interior tweaks to hit the bullseye.

Last edited by jhb31; 03-27-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

That's a very bold comment that no one is waiting for Acura. I think Acura and Infiniti are targeting different market now. Infiniti is producing 400HP Q60 and Acura doesn't have 300HP TLX.
i am not a fan boy but I like Acura products and I hope by the time i change my car, i find the right Acura
It wasn't a literal statement either. What I meant was that Acura's following has died down quite a bit compared to what it used to be and so has their popularity (sedan's not talking about the MDX or NSX here). Almost everyday on here alone we have a new post of sombody who owned 5 Acura's but is done with the brand.

They are supposed to be targeting the same market though. The lower end Q50's play in the same field as the TLX but there is no TLX and doesn't appear to be any coming that will be playing in the same field as the red sport.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Racer

They could have used 6AT + 310 hp engine in Aspec models..Since that is existing combination, i dont think they need EPA testing...That would be just like Lexus F sport models using 6 speed transmission while regular models use 8 speed with a little bump in power...What people FEEL about performance is more important than raw numbers...and most people are happy with 6AT + j35 compared to 9zf + j35..
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Is there a reason why they couldnt use the 7dct on the rlx shawd instead of the zf9?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mondster
Is there a reason why they couldnt use the 7dct on the rlx shawd instead of the zf9?
The RlX hybrid is the only RLX with SH-AWD and it uses a 7DCT. The other model that is not a hybrid is stictly FWD with rear wheel steering and has a 6 speed automatic.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Racer

The RlX hybrid is the only RLX with SH-AWD and it uses a 7DCT. The other model that is not a hybrid is stictly FWD with rear wheel steering and has a 6 speed automatic.
I read taht 7 dct can not work without batteries. 8 dct has torque converter and doesn't need batteries but it can not handle power/torque of V6.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I read taht 7 dct can not work without batteries. 8 dct has torque converter and doesn't need batteries but it can not handle power/torque of V6.
I don't know that Acura officially stated the 7DCT will not work without electrical components. But that seems to be the case since the MDX hybrid is also using the 7DCT vs the new 10 speed. Also the 7DCT is "sandwiched" between the electric motor the the engine from what I read in reviews which implies that it is mated to the hyrbid stuff.

Funny that Acura can make a 8 DCT but it's too weak for the V6 and a 7/9DCT that can handle 325-700hp respectivly yet they don't make one for the V6 engines.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-27-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The ZF9 doesn't need batteries and it can handle power/torque of V6, so it is an awesome transmission.

The 2016+ really is.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Saintor
The ZF9 doesn't need batteries and it can handle power/torque of V6, so it is an awesome transmission.

The 2016+ really is.
I trust reviews by Alex Stykes. When reviewing 2017 MDX SHAWD, he mentioned it was the best implementation of 9zf but that was still not comparable to competition specially 8zf.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
There was a guy taking delivery on an NSX when I picked up my TLX a couple days ago. I really like the ability to switch the exhaust from loud to quite, although I was surprised even in the loud setting it was not insanely loud. Anyway, I hope you are right on all the changes. I mentioned this a couple weeks back that the Sales manager at my local dealership said at the regional meeting with Acura (about 4 weeks back) saw the prototype as well. He said its pretty much the same as the spy photos (which I think didn't show it well). He also confirmed the A-spec option but said there were no performance upgrades which I took to be suspension/powertrain. I tend to think based on what he told me the type S will not be out in the first year of the 2nd Gen TLX but more likely a mid cycle add. The TT V6 has been floating out there for a few years now. I would be plenty happy if they could get something out there with a better trans and 320ish HP along with a big brake package. Maybe they show it at the NY auto show. Maybe the delay is that they are still adding in some more changes to it.

I probably should have waited to see what the 2018 update brings for sure but the trade in, .9% financing and super discount off the sticker at the dealership made me pull the trigger. They put no pressure at all to push the 2017 model but did say the deal on the 18 would not be close to what they did on the 17. I think the biggest thing I dislike on the 2017 having had it a few days are those bridgestone tires. They suck. The infotainment system definitely is not intuitive but the ability to add permanent shortcuts really negates a little of that and taking a little time to figure it out helps. The stereo after some adjustment actually sounds pretty good to me relative to my 3rd gen I traded in. I would like a little more exhaust sound when stepping into it, not loud but like my type S which was quite when you were just driving normal but sounded nice when you got on it. Anyway I am with everyone else hoping for a pleasant surprise. I think they will have the look nailed fairly well and then just have some performance mods/changes along with a few interior tweaks to hit the bullseye.
What you heard pretty much squares up with what I was told, but the rep that I was riding along with told me there will be a different exhaust and suspension changes. I should have asked him if the Type-S was coming for this generation or the next, but he specifically said 2020 model year. I take it to now assume that will be the first model year of the 2nd generation TLX. I just got distracted from everything else when he said 400 hp TT-V6 lol. I'm looking to jump to a C43 AMG as my next car, but if Acura can deliver on a Type-S with the trick SH-AWD, I would buy one in a heartbeat. The stereo will get better as you put on the miles; it needs time to get adjusted and break-in to the type of music you play. I've had my car for a year and a half almost and the ELS system has settled in nicely . I wonder though, if the TT-V6 is part of a new engine family or if it's the J35 with two blowers strapped on. The only new V6 Honda has is the one in the NSX.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
What you heard pretty much squares up with what I was told, but the rep that I was riding along with told me there will be a different exhaust and suspension changes. I should have asked him if the Type-S was coming for this generation or the next, but he specifically said 2020 model year. I take it to now assume that will be the first model year of the 2nd generation TLX. I just got distracted from everything else when he said 400 hp TT-V6 lol. I'm looking to jump to a C43 AMG as my next car, but if Acura can deliver on a Type-S with the trick SH-AWD, I would buy one in a heartbeat. The stereo will get better as you put on the miles; it needs time to get adjusted and break-in to the type of music you play. I've had my car for a year and a half almost and the ELS system has settled in nicely . I wonder though, if the TT-V6 is part of a new engine family or if it's the J35 with two blowers strapped on. The only new V6 Honda has is the one in the NSX.
I doubt they will TT the J35, it's only SOHC and those don't do too well with turbo's. the NSX engine is DOHC TT but from what I recall, it is a specially designed engine from a different company that makes it for Honda. Though that part I read on here and may not be true.

The J-series needs to move over for a new generation of DOHC and timing chains!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like the 2018 TLX will make its debut at the New York auto show on April 11th: Refreshed 2018 Acura TLX to Debut in New York - Motor Trend
The following 2 users liked this post by drewba:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (03-28-2017), TSX69 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by drewba
Looks like the 2018 TLX will make its debut at the New York auto show on April 11th: Refreshed 2018 Acura TLX to Debut in New York - Motor Trend
I like the front end teaser pic on the Motor Trend link. I hope it looks that good in reality.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
cant wait to see the engine options
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
For a visual:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura says to also expect new premium features and technology on the 2018 TLX
I really hope it's tech that customers really want. New transmission and heads up display would be the key things to probably make me buy one instead of an Audi A4/S4!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Finally! Should be a lot fun!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I like the teaser pic. The car looks better than the original leaks
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM
AZ Community Team

The TLX refresh also includes new premium features and technology enhancements that place the TLX among the most technologically advanced and well-equipped cars in its segment. Watch the 2018 Acura TLX reveal live on April 11 at 4:45 p.m. ET at acura.us/2018TLXDebut. This is based on Acura Connected page.

I am looking foreword for 2018 TLX. That's why I was keep saying to everyone, ignore those spy pics. They were taken from a very bad angle.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I am looking foreword for 2018 TLX. That's why I was keep saying to everyone, ignore those spy pics. They were taken from a very bad angle.
To be fair, although the teaser pic looks interesting, it too is hiding lots of details. Looking forward to April 11, make it or break it for Acura. God I hope they didn't screw it up lol
Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
cant wait to see the engine options
I'm not getting my hopes up for any changes. Acura and Honda almost always mention powertrain updates in these kinds of releases and there is no mention of the powertrain. "New premium features and technology enhancements"
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM
AZ Community Team

I think there is no powertrain changes but we will get some interesting premium features and cool tech. I will wait until April 11
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I like the teaser pic. The car looks better than the original leaks
They always look better in perfect lighting with lots of photoshopping to bring out certain highlights (like the masculine crease in the hood) etc etc.

"Acura will unveil the refreshed and significantly enhanced 2018 TLX performance sedan in New York on April 11. The 2018 TLX will boast a more aggressive, sporty and alluring look inspired by the Acura Precision Concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show in 2016, a design direction that already has successfully influenced the styling of the 2017 Acura MDX. The TLX refresh also includes new premium features and technology enhancements that place the TLX among the most technologically advanced and well-equipped cars in its segment. Watch the 2018 Acura TLX reveal live on April 11 at 4:45 p.m. ET at acura.us/2018TLXDebut."

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 03-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
They always look better in perfect lighting with lots of photoshopping to bring out certain highlights (like the masculine crease in the hood) etc etc.

"Acura will unveil the refreshed and significantly enhanced 2018 TLX performance sedan in New York on April 11. The 2018 TLX will boast a more aggressive, sporty and alluring look inspired by the Acura Precision Concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show in 2016, a design direction that already has successfully influenced the styling of the 2017 Acura MDX. The TLX refresh also includes new premium features and technology enhancements that place the TLX among the most technologically advanced and well-equipped cars in its segment. Watch the 2018 Acura TLX reveal live on April 11 at 4:45 p.m. ET at acura.us/2018TLXDebut."
Have to wonder what segment they think there are in? The current "performance sedan" commercial series suggesting the car is a hot traffic light street racer derived from the TLX race car is a pretty big stretch..
Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
2018 Acura TLX to debut at New York Auto Show - NY Daily News
Check out the photo's
Pretty cool; hope there's a "S" version as well
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Have to wonder what segment they think there are in? The current "performance sedan" commercial series suggesting the car is a hot traffic light street racer derived from the TLX race car is a pretty big stretch..
Thus you can see right there in plain text the biggest issue with Acura. Constantly making commercials with their cars on a race track and yet when you drive one they should never be anywhere near a race track. Case in point the 2G RDX, you can't take turns going faster than 20km's per hour while still feeling safe. Yet they show it at a eace track in the commercials. Give me a break.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Let's say Acura fixes the bugs in transmission and introduces HUD, car play and a few other tech items. What's next?
The issue is that we are never satisfied and we always want more as customers. I think that's okay to ask for more but we cannot ignore the fact that car companies cannot upgrade their vehicles on a daily basis. I am not defending Acura but this applies to all car manufacturers. If we take the Germans, Audi and BMW's interior can't match MB. What are they doing to match MB interior and design?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I just happened to click on the photolink from post #1.
OMG. ....... this is unbelievable. Big time screw up. I can't imagine it looking good from any angle save the side profile.
In my book, the TLX was always a sort of good looking car even though temporarily toned down. This one .... what can I say. It simply hurts my eye to look at this. Even a Toyota Corolla looks better than this. IMO the ugly grill of Lexus is actually a beauty queen if parked beside this car.
They really need to fire the designers. As you all guys have said before, I predict too that this will be a massive flop, Possibly the final nail in the coffin for Acura sedans.

Man, ....... I still can't get it out of my head. Is there a traitor working in the design department?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
2018 Acura TLX to debut at New York Auto Show - NY Daily News
Check out the photo's
Pretty cool; hope there's a "S" version as well
That's just like the old TLX prototype that lost, including it red color, a lot of features when the TLX was first released. They showed the red car in a lot of publications shorty before the "real" TLX was reveled (NYC show?). Reality was a major let down for some. The new 2016 prototype is a bigger car than the TLX more suitable to be a RLX replacement. Some design features you just can't compress on a car & have it look good.

Marketing 101 promise less & revel more, not bass achwards.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Let's say Acura fixes the bugs in transmission and introduces HUD, car play and a few other tech items. What's next?
The issue is that we are never satisfied and we always want more as customers. I think that's okay to ask for more but we cannot ignore the fact that car companies cannot upgrade their vehicles on a daily basis. I am not defending Acura but this applies to all car manufacturers. If we take the Germans, Audi and BMW's interior can't match MB. What are they doing to match MB interior and design?
While I agree with you that as consumers we will always want more...etc. Those things you mentioned are only part of a larger problem. That isn't the issue here. Acura is running tech that belongs in 2007 (not the safety tech, but then again none of their safety tech will scare Kias, or Subarus, or Mazdas) and wants to sit there ane act as though they are doing nothing wrong at all.

So to conclude, we are not asking Acura to make a flying car, we are asking Acura to make a CURRENT car.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (03-28-2017)