Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
It's not a bad attempt, it's not a bad looking car. Something about the A-Spec to me is off. I think the large round fog lights don't work for the car. And I think if they made the Jewel Eye headlights a little larger, it would flow better with the grill. I have the 17 MDX, and I love the new grill and front end. I just think this grill looks too large and mismatched for this car. Large grill, Large round fog lights, but head lights are too small. That's just my opinion. However, I do like the interior upgrades. The seats look to be nicer and sportier, a thicker steering wheel is welcome and Android Auto & Apple Car Play is about time. Oh yea, finally, a wireless charging like the Accord. The sport tuned suspension was definitely needed and is a great upgrade. Prior to my MDX I had a 15 TLX AWD Tech. Never really fell in love with the car, but I'm interested to see if this new version in A-Spec mode will bring me some excitement. I also still have an Infiniti Q50, 2015 model before they introduced the turbo 3.0L. I will say that I still think the Q50 is a better car compared to the TLX.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Sport Hybrid was always a far fetched fantasy for this TLX MMC, at least in my mind. the most realistic expectation i had for a performance variant TLX would've been like the 07-08 TL Type-S, tweak the engine to muster out 20 more hp and a tad more torque, upgrade the brakes (Brembo?) and suspensions and then slap a Type-S badge on the back. these along with the big round exhaust tips would make the TLX Type-S lot more attractive, and would've made me almost regret getting the IS350 F Sport a few weeks too soon.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
Sport Hybrid was always a far fetched fantasy for this TLX MMC, at least in my mind. the most realistic expectation i had for a performance variant TLX would've been like the 07-08 TL Type-S, tweak the engine to muster out 20 more hp and a tad more torque, upgrade the brakes (Brembo?) and suspensions and then slap a Type-S badge on the back. these along with the big round exhaust tips would make the TLX Type-S lot more attractive, and would've made me almost regret getting the IS350 F Sport a few weeks too soon.
Did they announced the full specs for the ASpec? For all we know they may be boosting the HP by a small bit.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Shocked.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Did they announced the full specs for the ASpec? For all we know they may be boosting the HP by a small bit.
I read somewhere that a small HP bump was expected for both the 4 and 6 due to different intake/exhaust tuning. But it sounds like a spec sheet improvement. For me, for a DD, the 6 TLX has surprisingly good acceleration. It's no M3 eater, but that's not it's market.

The '18 SH AWD A Spec in the deep blue color could be a real winner, if they have managed to tune the hesitation out of the ZF9.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I watched video that Tech pkg (so definitely advanced pkg too) have extended thigh support for driver. Very helpful feature for long journeys..
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Not sure about a power bump. My C&D email said no change but overall they liked the car.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I read somewhere that a small HP bump was expected for both the 4 and 6 due to different intake/exhaust tuning. But it sounds like a spec sheet improvement. For me, for a DD, the 6 TLX has surprisingly good acceleration. It's no M3 eater, but that's not it's market.

The '18 SH AWD A Spec in the deep blue color could be a real winner, if they have managed to tune the hesitation out of the ZF9.
No question. My TLX V6 FWD does a good job of balancing performance and fuel economy. That was the main reason why I got one. I ran a 14.5 second ET @ 97 mph with horrific wheelspin and pulled off 38 mpg during a 400 mile trip from Knoxville Tenn to Martinsburg WV. So, it's truly what the Honda Accord V6 is all about.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFreeAgent
This is why the Germans are so successful. I can't believe if I want the Aspec I can't get power folding mirrors and a heated steering wheel. I don't understand why the Japanese brands bundle like this. If I wanted an M sport BMW, I Guarantee every feature I want would also be available. So basically If I want those features I have to be stuck with that bland driving vehicle from before?

this car was what Acura needed till I saw this fumble.
Scale and $$. BMW and MB are doing luxury cars only and they sell worldwide. Acura on the other hand mainly sells in USA and Canada, plus a little bit in China and Russia. I think Acura total sales volume is like 10% of MB. On top of that, with BMW and MB long history, they've built a strong reputation of making luxury cars, and so, they can charge like 20-30% more than an equivalent Acura. Car margin is like 5% for an average car, and for something like BMW, it's like 18% or something. This is why the German can offer more choices, options, without bundling.

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
No powertrain changes at all. 206hp and 290hp.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^ When I've researched and looked at BMWs in the past, the option sheets and websites show all kinds of wonderful combinations and options "available." But most of those are not available in the precise combination one may want and may in fact be almost impossible to get, in my experience. They are clearly bundled, just not advertised that way. For instance, just trying to get a non-X Drive sedan in the Midwest apparently takes a feat of magical balancing. A few years ago when I was considering a 3 series, there wasn't a RWD sample with 6MT available anywhere around me. And that was before the 6MTs had all but disappeared. Lexus is the same way. Lots of options and cool features, but they are bundled in common packages and just about unobtainable "a la carte."
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Lots of options and cool features, but they are bundled in common packages and just about unobtainable "a la carte."
The dealers do the "bundling" for inventory based on what the think will sell the fastest. You want "a la carte" you pretty much have order the car.

A very high percentage of enthusiast cars are custom ordered. They actively promote European Delivery & Performance Center Delivery. The German car systems are geared to this with personal car tracking available from the day the order is accepted.

Lots of the packages have the key feature or features unbundled. The track package's Adaptive M Suspension also comes as a standalone, the Tech Packages HUD is also a standalone. If you take the bundle you spend more but you get more for your money.

The suspension system in $700 stand alone. The track package is $1700. Packaged you get the suspension, variable steering, upgraded brakes, non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires on special wheels. The software allows you configure, suspension, steering, throttle & transmission programs on the fly.

BMW, MB & Audi all have similar setups. There will be some limitations within lines but for the budget buyer getting a 320 they can order the track package the same as the 440 buyer.

Just think about what a $1700 real time adaptive suspension, variable steering, upgraded brakes, non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires on special wheels integrated & programmable would do the character of the TLX. A set of the PSS tires for a TLX would cost about $1000 installed from Tire Rack all by themselves.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Probably $800 for a set of PSS (installed).

(I've been pricing them to replace my Potenzas.)
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
2018 Acura TLX Walkaround Video

The 2018 Acura TLX made its world debut in New York on April 11, and Acura Product Planner Jonathon Rivers was on hand to film an exclusive walkaround video of the interior and exterior of the A-Spec trim. Don't miss hearing about the all-new features and unique design elements of this remarkable vehicle.

http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...7e/embed/auto?

Last edited by EE4Life; 04-14-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
Probably $800 for a set of PSS (installed).

(I've been pricing them to replace my Potenzas.)
Good price. I had taken a quick look a Tire Rack a while back for the change tire comments in a earlier thread & they were $900 before shipping & install. I just selected a set for the BMW, excellent tires.
F23A4 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
2018 Acura TLX Walkaround Video

The 2018 Acura TLX made its world debut in New York on April 11, and Acura Product Planner Jonathon Rivers was on hand to film an exclusive walkaround video of the interior and exterior of the A-Spec trim. Don't miss hearing about the all-new features and unique design elements of this remarkable vehicle.

TLX_Walkaround
Interesting - he said they upgraded the software to make it faster - so perhaps the hardware is the same? If so - what would it take to convince your dealer to do an update to an existing car????
Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
This is why the Germans are so successful. I can't believe if I want the Aspec I can't get power folding mirrors and a heated steering wheel. I don't understand why the Japanese brands bundle like this. If I wanted an M sport BMW, I Guarantee every feature I want would also be available. So basically If I want those features I have to be stuck with that bland driving vehicle from before?

This is what burns me up most about Acura (and to a lesser extent Honda) and their packages make less and less sense with each passing year. I get it that bundling is more cost effective but to me it's a huge missed opportunity to not offer options that would give one the works.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
This is what burns me up most about Acura (and to a lesser extent Honda) and their packages make less and less sense with each passing year. I get it that bundling is more cost effective but to me it's a huge missed opportunity to not offer options that would give one the works.
Well in fairness MANY brands do not offer individual options or features and instead you either have to get trims like Acura or Huge packages for simple items. Like want a sunroof? You also have to get heated rear seats and steering wheel and power fold mirrors and a heated windshield for example.

Now if you really want custom, look at porsche (THE KINGS OF THIS) and also BMW is a close second. I also think lincoln is pretty cool, they have a decent level of customization for a mid level brand
Old 04-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I know a number of years back when I went with a bmw I felt just the opposite. The packages were expensive and just about everything was an option. Once options were added into the BMW the original sticker price was a distant dream and I waited a few weeks for the car to be built and shipped over as just adding a couple not so obscure options resulted in a custom order back to Germany. Even a lot of standard equipment on other cars was an "extra" option on BMW. I much preferred the type S when I bought it as there was one option=summer tires. Anyway, Acura strikes a balance of cost and option packages. I would guess if lack of folding mirrors and a heated wheel result in a bland experience then its time to pull a ton more cash out and get the BMW. I will take the better suspension and looks of the a spec package over a luxury option of a heated steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong that I wouldn't mind a heated steering wheel on those cold days. I just understand why they do things the way they do. Once a manufacturer starts going the BMW route on options you will find a lot of the add ons in packages and even standard equipment turns into an added cost option.
JM2010 SH-AWD (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Unless it's a 5 Series and up I think BMW's have Garbage interiors. They feel cheap and plasticky. The seats SUCK too. You need to add so many options to make a 3 series feel decent and by that point you're over 60K

Last edited by Kense; 04-14-2017 at 04:59 PM.
silverTL6 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kense
Unless it's a 5 Series and up I think BMW's have Garbage interiors. They feel cheap and plasticky. The seats SUCK too. You need to add so many options to make a 3 series feel decent and by that point you're over 60K
BMW interiors are garbage. Sorry but they absolutely suck. Sat in and drove a brand new 2016 X5 and although there was plenty of soft touch materials (everywhere) they did NOT feel plush or soft. They felt hard and looked cheap. The other thing with BMW's is that if you go take a look at a few years old BMW, everything is rattling and creaking and just feels and looks cheap to me. Mercedes on the other hand...DAMN! The slickest interiors I have ever seen and very plush. The seats are 100% garbage. Had 16 way seats in my X5 and was still having back pain and the leather feels like plastic too.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I like how the carplay works in this car. Much better than the set up in Honda. I wrote a review about my experience with the Accord's carplay set up and it seems they might have fixed a few annoyances.

That's the link for he interior and car play set up.
The following 3 users liked this post by nore03:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-16-2017), mapleloaf (04-15-2017), wlkeel (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Well in fairness MANY brands do not offer individual options or features and instead you either have to get trims like Acura or Huge packages for simple items. Like want a sunroof? You also have to get heated rear seats and steering wheel and power fold mirrors and a heated windshield for example.

Now if you really want custom, look at porsche (THE KINGS OF THIS) and also BMW is a close second. I also think lincoln is pretty cool, they have a decent level of customization for a mid level brand
Originally Posted by jhb31
I know a number of years back when I went with a bmw I felt just the opposite. The packages were expensive and just about everything was an option. Once options were added into the BMW the original sticker price was a distant dream and I waited a few weeks for the car to be built and shipped over as just adding a couple not so obscure options resulted in a custom order back to Germany. Even a lot of standard equipment on other cars was an "extra" option on BMW. I much preferred the type S when I bought it as there was one option=summer tires. Anyway, Acura strikes a balance of cost and option packages. I would guess if lack of folding mirrors and a heated wheel result in a bland experience then its time to pull a ton more cash out and get the BMW. I will take the better suspension and looks of the a spec package over a luxury option of a heated steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong that I wouldn't mind a heated steering wheel on those cold days. I just understand why they do things the way they do. Once a manufacturer starts going the BMW route on options you will find a lot of the add ons in packages and even standard equipment turns into an added cost option.
You can't be sporty/luxury when you can't get all of the options on your top sporty package. A heated steering wheel and folding mirrors is not a lot to ask for when a brand is shooting for luxury and when you look at its direct competitors, seems like dumb options to get rid of on the sportiest package. Yes, it does sound like the A-Spec has a different style steering wheel but it is a poor oversight in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

I had the chance to check out the new TLXs at the NY Auto Show today. Just to confirm, the front grill is far more hideous than the "beak" on my 16 V6 and I"m not feeling the cloth inserts on the seats. I am happy to see exhaust outlets (finally) on the TLX, even if the do appear to be borrowed from the Mazdaspeed6. I do like the regular model's exhaust finishers, which resemble that from the 4G TL/2.5G MDX. However, I did not interact much with the infotainment but I do like that Apple CarPlay is available along with all of the Acurawatch goodies.

I will say that I was surprised that quite a number of people were checking out the TLX, and seemed generally interested in the brand. (I also overheard one or two guys mention that they were done with the brand, with another referencing the Accord. }

The Acura product specialists in the venue seemed very interested in hearing our feedback with respect to both our MDX and TLX. (While we love our MDX and will probably jump up from a Tech to an Advance Ent model at year end, my wife gave the rep an earful of what improvements they should look to make come the next generation.)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by F23A4
I had the chance to check out the new TLXs at the NY Auto Show today. Just to confirm, the front grill is far more hideous than the "beak" on my 16 V6 and I"m not feeling the cloth inserts on the seats. I am happy to see exhaust outlets (finally) on the TLX, even if the do appear to be borrowed from the Mazdaspeed6. I do like the regular model's exhaust finishers, which resemble that from the 4G TL/2.5G MDX. However, I did not interact much with the infotainment but I do like that Apple CarPlay is available along with all of the Acurawatch goodies.

I will say that I was surprised that quite a number of people were checking out the TLX, and seemed generally interested in the brand. (I also overheard one or two guys mention that they were done with the brand, with another referencing the Accord. }

The Acura product specialists in the venue seemed very interested in hearing our feedback with respect to both our MDX and TLX. (While we love our MDX and will probably jump up from a Tech to an Advance Ent model at year end, my wife gave the rep an earful of what improvements they should look to make come the next generation.)
Did you get any chance to ask them about transmission software changes for TLX MMC (like more aggresive gear change for Aspec)?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

No, we were mainly discussing the MDX as our lease is up in less than a year and my TLX is a secondary vehicle in my household.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
I'd rather wait for a full bore TLX-Type S. Sport Hybrid system coupled with a TT-V6. This is what is coming in the next gen, well at least the TT-V6 part.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
I'd rather wait for a full bore TLX-Type S. Sport Hybrid system coupled with a TT-V6. This is what is coming in the next gen, well at least the TT-V6 part.
I am thinking the same. Also waiting to see if all the reliability issues people are talking about in this forum are addressed.

PS. yes, they are competing head to head with lexus to see who is going to design the most fugly grill. Audi got it right, the rest are copying and making it worse.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
I am thinking the same. Also waiting to see if all the reliability issues people are talking about in this forum are addressed.

PS. yes, they are competing head to head with lexus to see who is going to design the most fugly grill. Audi got it right, the rest are copying and making it worse.
Bingo! The new grill acura is using is ugly since the cars did not get a redesign. Lexus is no better. It's why I have decided to buy the B9 A4 for my next car but I will wait long enough to see the new TLX at the Acura dealer.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sounds like nothing but pure speculation, as Honda has not announced a TT-V6 whatsoever. Don't trust what the dealer said. They don't know shit either.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sounds like nothing but pure speculation, as Honda has not announced a TT-V6 whatsoever. Don't trust what the dealer said. They don't know shit either.
Yup. They didn't build the one from the NSX, either.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
My info isn't from the dealer, but rather from someone that knows about product development. All I know is that they are shooting for 400 hp for the TLX-Type S.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
My info isn't from the dealer, but rather from someone that knows about product development. All I know is that they are shooting for 400 hp for the TLX-Type S.
LOL I'll believe this when I see it.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

What century are they planning to release the TLX-S? Just curious, is all.

honda normally announces everything they are working on. A couple years ago, they announced they were working on three new engines, well before they came out (1.5T, 2.0T, and I think a 1.0T for foreign markets). Same with their cars- they made it fairly well known there would be no Type S for the MMC for the TLX. I was secretly hoping they were just not saying anything about it, but that wasn't the case. No words meant no development.

I'm surprised to hear they are building a TT-V6 now. There's been no rumors about it. I'm also surprised they would make a TT-V6 available, since that's what powers the NSX. Not that they have anything in common, but as far as perception goes, it makes the halo car look a bit less special (not that I agree, but it seems Honda feels otherwise). I could see a V6T. But I dunno, either way, it'll be something like a 3.0L turbo, which really, is barely keeping up with the times. They're still several years behind in that regard.

Either way, I guess time will tell. I doubt a 3.5L TT V6 would happen... Too much stepping on the NSXs toes, even if the engines are completely different. Likely a 3.0L V6T. Maybe a 3.0L V6TT if we are lucky.

Last edited by TacoBello; 04-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
^ When I've researched and looked at BMWs in the past, the option sheets and websites show all kinds of wonderful combinations and options "available." But most of those are not available in the precise combination one may want and may in fact be almost impossible to get, in my experience. They are clearly bundled, just not advertised that way. For instance, just trying to get a non-X Drive sedan in the Midwest apparently takes a feat of magical balancing. A few years ago when I was considering a 3 series, there wasn't a RWD sample with 6MT available anywhere around me. And that was before the 6MTs had all but disappeared. Lexus is the same way. Lots of options and cool features, but they are bundled in common packages and just about unobtainable "a la carte."
Yea, but that's just how German car makers work. My friend is looking for a used F30 335i 6MT RWD. It's really difficult to find one.....

Originally Posted by Kense
I agree. My friend has a F10 528i fully loaded and its interior is much nicer than 3 series or below. There's no comparison.

What century are they planning to release the TLX-S? Just curious, is all.

honda normally announces everything they are working on. A couple years ago, they announced they were working on three new engines, well before they came out (1.5T, 2.0T, and I think a 1.0T for foreign markets). Same with their cars- they made it fairly well known there would be no Type S for the MMC for the TLX. I was secretly hoping they were just not saying anything about it, but that wasn't the case. No words meant no development.

I'm surprised to hear they are building a TT-V6 now. There's been no rumors about it. I'm also surprised they would make a TT-V6 available, since that's what powers the NSX. Not that they have anything in common, but as far as perception goes, it makes the halo car look a bit less special (not that I agree, but it seems Honda feels otherwise). I could see a V6T. But I dunno, either way, it'll be something like a 3.0L turbo, which really, is barely keeping up with the times. They're still several years behind in that regard.

Either way, I guess time will tell. I doubt a 3.5L TT V6 would happen... Too much stepping on the NSXs toes, even if the engines are completely different. Likely a 3.0L V6T. Maybe a 3.0L V6TT if we are lucky.
I've heard rumors about TT-V6.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
I've heard rumors about TT-V6.
I've heard rumors of a Type S for the last five years, and look where we are.

Until Honda says it themselves, it's nothing but hearsay.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Racer

And what does Honda/Acura get by keeping V6 turbo a secret? It is not as if rest of the world will try to copy them..They are the only ones without a 6 cyl turbo..
BEAR-AvHistory (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by comptr
Bingo! The new grill acura is using is ugly since the cars did not get a redesign. Lexus is no better. It's why I have decided to buy the B9 A4 for my next car but I will wait long enough to see the new TLX at the Acura dealer.

While I might be in the minority I think the changes to the body (minus the non-body color trunk lid spoiler) are all an improvement. As for TT-V6 I highly doubt it. I don't think the market is there to make it worth their while. I had my Type S for 10 years and rarely saw another Type S in an average week so I would guess that was less than 5% of their TL sales. I would be happy with a modest bump in HP and a tuned exhaust. The TLX just is so quite even when you romp on it. I also would not be sad if they got rid of the jewel headlights. The xenon headlights in my Type S did a better job lighting up the road.

I have had two BMW's and one Audi and the first BMW was back when they were not a mass producer and it was rock solid. The later BMW and the Audi were nothing but trouble. I do think some powertrain changes will come with the 2nd gen TLX. Ikeda did what he could coming in mid stream of this generation TLX. I will be interested to see how the suspension changes are as I feel the TLX is quite week in handling. Do wish they put a Brembo brake package in with the aspec but suspect that may be mid 2nd generation along with a Type S at that time. I talked to the sales manager at my dealership a while back about all this and he said at the dealers meeting with management a Type S was more likely a 2022 update and he did say a while back that there would be no powertrain changes on the TLX for the MMC update. I know a lot of people like to cite BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Infinity but the former three once loaded up are a lot more than an Acura with very high cost of ownership once out of warranty. Infinity on the other hand is nice but the MPG is really poor.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-18-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

The reasons I don't see a TT V6 happening for Honda in the next 10 years is due to multiple inherent design issues. First off, the J-series is an archaic SOHC setup (these don't work well with turbos from what I understand). Second off unless Honda is moving to a RWD platform (never happening) no FWD platform will handle 400hp (though Ford is pushing 380lb/ft with the MKX in FWD trim too). Lastly there is no new V6 engine lineup in development for Honda right now.....so to complete my point. It is not happening.

It simply does not go along with Acura's mission. Yes they are moving towards sport, they however are using hybrid tech to acheive that. They still are too concerned with being green and tree hugging.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

You're right, 400hp and fwd is not a great idea... But sh-AWD and 400hp is

I wouldn't worry about engine architecture. They *might* be working on an all new platform. A successor to the J series, if you will. This might be the first of it. The j series has changed over the years, but it is about 25 years old overall. Also, while there are inherent drawbacks to turboing an existing J-series, it's a lot easier for Honda to massage an engine to work well with turbos than it is for us outside the manufacturer to do so. I mean, they can redesign heads, etc. While there is stuff engine builders can do (like swap Pistons), they can only do it if aftermarket pieces exist, which admittedly is a bit of problem for j series fans. There isn't huge support out there. Honda can manufacturer their own pieces as needed.

Although honda doesn't have extensive history with turbos like Nissan or Toyota do, they still know how to use them, and rather well, too. Honda chose to stick to the NA route and exploited VTEC to its highest potential, but it seems they've kinda peaked out on that. And now turbos are turning out to be more and more common place, as compared to, say, 25 years ago. Like you said- who doesn't have turbos these days?

your last paragraph seems to make a lot of sense though. Maybe sport hybrids are the sole future for Acura. Time will tell, and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Last edited by TacoBello; 04-18-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the type s like a BMW m3 or benz amg price wise?