Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
A fully decked out sedan is about 28k as mk5 mentioned (just checked the Honda US site). But holy shit, 28k for a civic? Yes it's loaded but have they always been that pricey? Also 7k to bump up to type r is a big jump from touring. Wow.
I give Honda a lot of crap, but the Civic right now is a piece of art. It's amazing looking. That 28k model may have the Hyundai problem where the name has a stigma associated. There's a red one in the garage at work all the time and it fits in with the upscale models well. Seriously, there's a TLX right next to it most of the time and the Civic looks a lot more premium from the exterior.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I give Honda a lot of crap, but the Civic right now is a piece of art. It's amazing looking. That 28k model may have the Hyundai problem where the name has a stigma associated. There's a red one in the garage at work all the time and it fits in with the upscale models well. Seriously, there's a TLX right next to it most of the time and the Civic looks a lot more premium from the exterior.
Don't get me wrong, the civic is absolutely fricken gorgeous right now (can't believe I just said that). But it is not 28k gorgeous and in Canada it is NOT 32k gorgeous. There is a crap ton of other cars I would get for $32k over a civic any day of the week. I'm going to make the assumption that a type R will be around 40K here, if not 42k...that's steep.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
More hilarious than serious.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Saintor
More hilarious than serious.
There really isn't much exciting about the exterior of the current TLX. The Civic looks fast. The TLX looks about as fast as an Avalon
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

The Civic front-end is ugly to a sin. The hatchback is a design disaster. The TLX exterior is a conservative yet handsome design, and yes, I get compliments about it, so it must not be up to your constant prejudice.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Azine Jabroni

The Civic front-end is ugly to a sin. The hatchback is a design disaster. The TLX exterior is a conservative yet handsome design, and yes, I get compliments about it, so it must not be up to your constant prejudice.
I have been a long time Acura defender, but I'm honest. Also, this is only considering the exterior. The interior and drive on the TLX are much better (Especially the DCT with the 2.4)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the civic is absolutely fricken gorgeous right now (can't believe I just said that). But it is not 28k gorgeous and in Canada it is NOT 32k gorgeous. There is a crap ton of other cars I would get for $32k over a civic any day of the week. I'm going to make the assumption that a type R will be around 40K here, if not 42k...that's steep.
Have you shopped the class of car recently? You can easily get loaded Cruzes, Elantras and Imprezas for around $27-29k now. The Focus is still around $24k for a Titanium model, but a loaded ST is $28-29k. Prices have definitely risen for this class of vehicle.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
Have you shopped the class of car recently? You can easily get loaded Cruzes, Elantras and Imprezas for around $27-29k now. The Focus is still around $24k for a Titanium model, but a loaded ST is $28-29k. Prices have definitely risen for this class of vehicle.
They've also added a lot of upper trims to the Civic. Back in the day you couldn't get leather so there was no EX-L (which they added in 2008), and now they even have a touring model. The EX-T which would be the the highest they used to offer is still only $22.5k (destination included in that price).

I actually think the EX-T is a FANTASTIC deal when you look at in terms of what you get. Turbo engine, Carplay, keyless start, etc, dual zone auto climate, heated front seats, etc.

I want an Aegean Blue EX-T 6MT when my TL dies, but hopefully that doesn't happen for a long time. I am also hoping that for 2019 they give it BSI on the EX instead of the camera on the mirror like the did for the new CR-V. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited by Curious3GTL; 03-13-2017 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Updated Audi S3 will put some more pressure into this market.
C/D TEST RESULTS
292HP
6DCT

Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
1/4 mile 13.3 at 104 mph
Zero to 100 mph: 12.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 23.1 sec
Looks like many of the manufactures are doing their MMC or next generation releases in the 2017/2018 MY. Good times to be buying a new car regardless of what brand you favor.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

There really isn't much exciting about the exterior of the current TLX. The Civic looks fast. The TLX looks about as fast as an Avalon
Don't waste your time. You are absolutely 1000% correct that the new civic looks decades better. Don't waste your time trying to prove your point.

Originally Posted by hondu
You kniw what, it's been a few years since I did shop in this class (like 5 years) and back then mainstream compact sedans were topping off at 24k while mid size sedans from those brands were topping off at around 30-35k. So I just did some comparisons, the Sentra Nismo goes for something like 30k, Kia Forte SX goes for like 28.5k, Corolla goes for about 27k (this one is simply sad and toyota should be ashamed, 27k and still has soft tex? What a joke).

So I admit I am kinda shocked at how much cars in this class now cost especially keeping in mind that the Audi A3 starts at 32k and ILX at 29k, so these guys are just nipping at the luxury/"premium" compact class sedans. I can't say this is too surprising though. In canada the rogue is 36k, escape 40k, santa fe sport/tucson 44k/36k, sportage 40k, crv 37k, rav4 36k...etc. Cars in general really are starting to cost a lot more than they used to. I remember when the escape debuted in 2013 automotive journalists were losing their mind at the 40k asking price because the most expensive compact suv was like 33k, now 40k is pretty much common place. I am of course talking about the top of the line models. I do understand though that with all the added features of cars these days price is naturally going to go up. I'm just surprised because the sedans took a massive leap.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Banned

Don't waste your time. You are absolutely 1000% correct that the new civic looks decades better. Don't waste your time trying to prove your point.
lol. I can imagine that "ugly kit car lovers" will love.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

You kniw what, it's been a few years since I did shop in this class (like 5 years) and back then mainstream compact sedans were topping off at 24k while mid size sedans from those brands were topping off at around 30-35k. So I just did some comparisons, the Sentra Nismo goes for something like 30k, Kia Forte SX goes for like 28.5k, Corolla goes for about 27k (this one is simply sad and toyota should be ashamed, 27k and still has soft tex? What a joke).

So I admit I am kinda shocked at how much cars in this class now cost especially keeping in mind that the Audi A3 starts at 32k and ILX at 29k, so these guys are just nipping at the luxury/"premium" compact class sedans. I can't say this is too surprising though. In canada the rogue is 36k, escape 40k, santa fe sport/tucson 44k/36k, sportage 40k, crv 37k, rav4 36k...etc. Cars in general really are starting to cost a lot more than they used to. I remember when the escape debuted in 2013 automotive journalists were losing their mind at the 40k asking price because the most expensive compact suv was like 33k, now 40k is pretty much common place. I am of course talking about the top of the line models. I do understand though that with all the added features of cars these days price is naturally going to go up. I'm just surprised because the sedans took a massive leap.
I've driven the new Civic hatchback. The car definitely had a premium and sporty feel to it. Even though the design can be polarizing, I think it looks even better in person. Besides, I think it was such a great car, it made no difference the exterior is a little quirky (in a good way to me).

I am really interested in driving the Si and also seeing what the next gen ILX will be like. I will most likely get rid of my Bimmer for one or the other (thought about TLX, but would like something smaller).
Old 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
I really like my TLX but I might prefer the Civic styling, as well. Honda has really put the TLX (and Accord) in a quandary.

-Civic has almost as much power as TLX I-4. The upcoming Civic SI sedan may have as much/more;
-Civic is larger in rear passenger room than TLX;
-Civic is way less expensive than the TLX.

The Civic doesn't look bad and it certainly has lots of advantages if you take away the Acura "prestige" luxury bits. That's why this upcoming performance variant of the TLX is going to be crucial to its survival. Buyers focused on family are going to shop the Civic and Accord (Civic is now cannibalizing the Accord) for more interior room and a tad less power (Accord). I will bet that the upcoming newly-redesigned 2018 Accord gets some version of AWD/SH-AWD AND be more spacious than the Civic AND have the Honda Sensing features. If that happens, you might as well just make the TLX available in SH-AWD and Sport Hybrid trims only, because it's almost going to be over; I like the quiet cabin as much as the next guy, but that doesn't leave the TLX with many cards to play.

The upcoming projected variants of the 2018 TLX can't seem to get here soon enough, but I feel like it's going to be too little, too late (or, same song, third verse). Really hoping for the best, though.

Last edited by mk5; 03-13-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mk5:
Nedmundo (03-16-2017), TacoBello (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I test drove an EX-T manual and it was a blast. The car has plenty of torque throughout the power band and was very quick off the line. Loved driving a manual and although the clutch was light, the car was fun to drive. The EX-T trim gives lots of goodies and the price is very good. If I were to buy a new Civic that would be the sweet spot for me. The big problem for me is the size of the cockpit....tight and low. I looked at the specs and the car size is the same or very similar to the Accord from a few generations back (my wife had an Accord from around 1995 or so....forget the model year), but the interior, although nice, felt small after driving a TL (couple of versions) for so long.
If you can be comfortable in the driver seat the Civic is a very nice choice. Honda has its act together. The Accords are nice (and who knows what the new model will bring), the Pilot is very impressive, and the CR-V (even with the CVT....hack, hack) is hard to pass up.....about 10k less than RDX
Old 03-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Agreed current civic is pretty awesome. Great to look at, and looks great inside and so much rear seat leg room. However... definitely doesn't have the refined feeling of a TLX (mostly b/c of added sound deadening).

My friend has a loaded up Mazda 3 S GT and it's fantastic also. Doesn't have the space of the civic, but drives great, and has a really nice looking interior.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No point arguing looks. Cars are subjective to anyone and everyone, differently. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong, all at the same time.

You can build the world's most beautiful car and you'll still find people who dislike it. You can build the world's ugliest car and you'll still find people who like it. I'm not saying the civic or TLX are either extreme, but they are, just like any other car, somewhere on that scale.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

lol. I can imagine that "ugly kit car lovers" will love.

Nobody cares what you "imagine". Move along.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

Nobody cares what you "imagine". Move along.
Now imagine the drama if an Acura looked like this hideous glandular thing.

For the others less girlie, there is a comparo in Car&Driver APRIL 2017. Civic Sport vs Golf Wolfsburg vs 3 Touring vs Cruze. They chose the Civic, but their first strike against it, is "Hits a few branches on the ugly tree." That is an understatement. I would chose the 3; "Just lovely, a driving pleasure, upscale inside and out." they wrote.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

We value your opinion.
RDX10 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Good god, did a black hole just open up? Am I in the twighlight zone?? I never thought I'd agree with old Saintor. But yea, I'm one of those who thinks the new Civic is horrendous looking, and the upcoming Type R is even more of a joke. Looks like a big dumpy toy car trying too hard to look cool and modern. The front, mid section, and rear all look like they were designed by three completely different teams. Absolutely 0 design cohesiveness.

I think I've just finally outgrown Honda/Acura styling period. Audi and BMW have captured my inner design soul and desire for sleek modern aesthetic design. Between the A3 / A5 and the 4-series, those cars are a spectacular balance between modern futurism and sleek luxury with just the right amount of aggressive athleticism. And EVERY component of the car exterior flows and blends together into a single statement. Down to the smallest details.

I'm still on the fence on the upcoming TLX design changes, but history doesn't give me much to hope for...
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Good god, did a black hole just open up? Am I in the twighlight zone?? I never thought I'd agree with old Saintor. But yea, I'm one of those who thinks the new Civic is horrendous looking, and the upcoming Type R is even more of a joke. Looks like a big dumpy toy car trying too hard to look cool and modern. The front, mid section, and rear all look like they were designed by three completely different teams. Absolutely 0 design cohesiveness.

I think I've just finally outgrown Honda/Acura styling period. Audi and BMW have captured my inner design soul and desire for sleek modern aesthetic design. Between the A3 / A5 and the 4-series, those cars are a spectacular balance between modern futurism and sleek luxury with just the right amount of aggressive athleticism. And EVERY component of the car exterior flows and blends together into a single statement. Down to the smallest details.

I'm still on the fence on the upcoming TLX design changes, but history doesn't give me much to hope for...
Ha - I'm of the same mindset but I'm willing to write it off to (likely) being a couple decades older than many of the fans of the new Civic. While not a "get off my lawn" guy I'm boarderline close to it

Frankly I think the TLX looks pretty good as it stands - but it's certainly leaning to a refined and mature look while the Civic is clearly aiming for an aggressive youthful look. I do hope the refresh TLX has a bit more style (notice how I kept on topic here ) but nothing like that...
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Ha - I'm of the same mindset but I'm willing to write it off to (likely) being a couple decades older than many of the fans of the new Civic. While not a "get off my lawn" guy I'm boarderline close to it

Frankly I think the TLX looks pretty good as it stands - but it's certainly leaning to a refined and mature look while the Civic is clearly aiming for an aggressive youthful look. I do hope the refresh TLX has a bit more style (notice how I kept on topic here ) but nothing like that...
I have never said that the TLX was ugly. I don't think the TLX is ugly, I just think they played it a little bit too safe. The Germans play it safe, but they do it in a elegant and aggressive way, IMHO the current TLX was just about there but then they stopped too early. Iirc it does 0-60 with the V6 in something like 5.4s, that is VERY respectable given the fuel economy that some people have got with it and also given the price.

I just think the new civic looks better. But I am much younger than most of you and that's probably why. With that being said, given the choice between a TLX and Civic it would be TLX any day of the week. I want that V6 and the SH-AWD, a cvt or 6 mt with a turbo 4 and fwd is never going to work for me (personally). So take that caveat with everything I have said thus far in regards to the TLX or Civic.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

A few quick rounds from my M4 will clear my lawn very nicely & shocker here I don't really like the Civic style. Seems a bit overdone. The car physically is too small to carry the front end design.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
yeah, we're not in the '90s any more Honda..the boy racer is soo over cooked.

I enjoy the German styling!
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
Acura_Dude (03-13-2017), BEAR-AvHistory (03-15-2017), holografique (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
This will sound odd but I don't like the styling of the regular Civic but I do like the boy racer Type R or whatever that thing is called.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ggesq
This will sound odd but I don't like the styling of the regular Civic but I do like the boy racer Type R or whatever that thing is called.
Odd? Not in the slightest. I like it just like I like WRX's and Evos. Just so over the top but in a good way.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Actually, if there were no Mazda3, Elantra, Focus, Cruze or Jetta, the new Civic might be the best looking car in it's class.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I love the new Civic sedan's styling. The hatchback, I like a bit less and the coupe I like less than the hatchback. I hope the new ILX will take the better styling elements of the Civic and build upon them in a most positive way.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Age has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 42, young at heart and I love sporty aggressive "youthful" cars. The Civic just looks plain dumb and awkwardly proportioned. By comparison:

Those cars all exude bad-assery.

And then you get to this...

Which IMO looks like a kid's toy in comparison. It just doesn't convey a sense of seriousness in the visual design.

Yes, all the cars I listed also cost 10's of thousands dollars more than the Civic Si, but....that's my point. Honda/Acura refuse to make anything exciting for those of us who can afford to pay more, are willing to pay more, and prefer less of the teenage boy-racer vibe, but yet don't have to be rich enough to afford an NSX. And NO, the TLX GT is NOT the answer.

The best way I can sum it up is: Honda/Acura cars can look...good, cool, or sometimes...even great. But the days of seeing a Honda/Acura and saying "bad ass", "holy shit", "hot", "fn sweet!", are simply gone. Period. It's just not in their DNA anymore and they've lost their way soo bad it's not even funny. It's just sad. They either swing too far to the left or too far to the right. Time and time again they show they cannot figure out how to strike a winning balance and is why after 30 years in the family, my ILX will be my last Honda/Acura vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-14-2017), pyrodan007 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I honestly don't see much of a material styling difference between the Audi TT and the Civic. They both look a bit overwrought and over the top. They both sport large wings on back. Not my taste, but that styling must appeal to some demographic. The Bimmer is nice and I like the look of the Infiniti. But I just don't get the hoopla over much of Audi's styling. It mostly bores me. But to each his own, of course, when it comes to styling.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Age has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 42, young at heart and I love sporty aggressive "youthful" cars. The Civic just looks plain dumb and awkwardly proportioned. By comparison:

Those cars all exude bad-assery.

And then you get to this...

Which IMO looks like a kid's toy in comparison. It just doesn't convey a sense of seriousness in the visual design.

Yes, all the cars I listed also cost 10's of thousands dollars more than the Civic Si, but....that's my point. Honda/Acura refuse to make anything exciting for those of us who can afford to pay more, are willing to pay more, and prefer less of the teenage boy-racer vibe, but yet don't have to be rich enough to afford an NSX. And NO, the TLX GT is NOT the answer.

The best way I can sum it up is: Honda/Acura cars can look...good, cool, or sometimes...even great. But the days of seeing a Honda/Acura and saying "bad ass", "holy shit", "hot", "fn sweet!", are simply gone. Period. It's just not in their DNA anymore and they've lost their way soo bad it's not even funny. It's just sad. They either swing too far to the left or too far to the right. Time and time again they show they cannot figure out how to strike a winning balance and is why after 30 years in the family, my ILX will be my last Honda/Acura vehicle.
Well the current Honda Accord, both sedan and coupe, look pretty good to me especially in sport/touring trim. Not sure why you would compare the Civic to those cars and completely ignore the Accord. Granted, they don't come in SH-AWD which is why I wouldn't get one, but they do look good
Old 03-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I honestly don't see much of a material styling difference between the Audi TT and the Civic. They both look a bit overwrought and over the top. They both sport large wings on back. Not my taste, but that styling must appeal to some demographic. The Bimmer is nice and I like the look of the Infiniti. But I just don't get the hoopla over much of Audi's styling. It mostly bores me. But to each his own, of course, when it comes to styling.
Well for the record, I don't like wings period. So here's a better picture for comparison:

How else can I say it: everything that Honda/Acura puts their final touch on ends having too much of a pedestrian/family vibe to it. "Sexy" simply is not part of their design vocabulary at all anymore.

But too each his own.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

I'd argue that the civic NEVER was really considered sexy. Since like 1978.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'd argue that the civic NEVER was really considered sexy. Since like 1978.
Didn't you see the 1992-1995? It had great proportions and was easily the best looking car in its class.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Think wings should be limited by law to 200MPH Supercars or legacy Supercars like the Lamborghini Countach or Ferrari F-40

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-15-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I honestly don't see much of a material styling difference between the Audi TT and the Civic. .
Are you serious? LOL
Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Didn't you see the 1992-1995? It had great proportions and was easily the best looking car in its class.
those were not the sentiments when the car was released, and fans of the EF civic thought the EG was ugly and too bubbly. It wasn't until years later that a cult following happened for that car. Ask me how I know. I used to own a '92 Si. It was a utilitarian car and in completely stock form wasn't much to look at. Of course, after a suspension drop and wheels, the story started to slowly change.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
The TLX looks a lot like the Maserati Ghibli in my book, elegant and understated. I do really like the rear lights on the Civic though.
Saintor (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Are you serious? LOL
Yep. They are both over-styled and have slightly odd proportions with a too-large wing on the deck.