A spec trans in sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
A spec trans in sport mode

I did test drive the A spec a while back but just in Sport Mode. I have a v6 2017 which just I have just started experimenting with the sport plus mode. I am wondering and probably need to go back and drive the A spec again in sport plus mode but here are my observations on the 2017. In sport plus the rpms are held high even when you level off in speed rather than up shifting when speed is held constant which to me makes it a mode that I seldom use but would if it did get smart enough to know when you stop accelerating the trans can upshift rather than hold at close to 4k rpms which on my old type S I would just slap into manual mode. When braking, for lack of a better word it "lurches" on each downshift at least momentarily. The other issue which is rare (2x in 4k miles) but does happen is sometimes if you go hard on the gas from a full stop and then let off to brake quickly it has a momentary forward surge (an issue I know plagued the 2015 but thought was supposedly remedied). One time almost putting me into an accident (this was not relegated to sport plus mode but was in sport mode at the time). Also using the paddle shifters when down shifting it again has an initial forward lurch. Almost seems like it upshifts then downshifts. Maybe its having the 9 speed transmission and should probably drop 2 gears down when using the paddles to decrease speed.

I know most seem to be happy with the 2018 but from those that own have all these issues gone away even though the trans is essentially the same? I had thought the 2017 was past these types of issues but to me these make me hesitant to "upgrade" to the 18 knowing the trans is essentially the same unit. My feeling now is that a better trans and a few more HP would be ideal.

All that said the cosmetic changes are all on the plus side for sure.

Last edited by jhb31; 08-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
No transmissions issues one mine (almost 1k miles). I do have some "lurching" but I think that is the throttle during ACC. Seems like the ACC wants to go hard when accelerating like a lead foot rather than a smooth increase in throttle.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No issues at all with mine after 1k miles though. For what it's worth my 2011 Acura sh AWD had terrible shuddering noise, most likely the torque converter.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I hit 1500 miles yesterday on my A-Spec. None of the tranny issues or lurching you're talking about.

The only thing I notice is that when I put it in reverse, the car tends to roll if on an slight incline such as my driveway, so I have to really pay attention and apply brakes quickly.