A-Spec Ambient Light Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
A-Spec Ambient Light Switch?

Hey Guys/Gals.

Just received a 2018 TLX A-Spec.. Loving the red ambient light!

In the Glovebox there is a switch to I assume turn off ALL the Ambient lighting. When I flip the with to "Off" the only light that turns off is the LED piping light along the glovebox. All other red lights along the doors, handles, cup holder and ceiling remain illuminated. Is this normal, can somebody check theirs for me by flipping the switch and checking which red ambient lights turn off?

Thanks guys for any input!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
Hey Guys/Gals.
In the Glovebox there is a switch to I assume turn off ALL the Ambient lighting. When I flip the with to "Off" the only light that turns off is the LED piping light along the glovebox. All other red lights along the doors, handles, cup holder and ceiling remain illuminated. Is this normal, can somebody check theirs for me by flipping the switch and checking which red ambient lights turn off?
Congrats on the car! I just verified on my A-spec the switch turns off just the front lights. The cupholder, door, door handle, and ceiling (interior ambient) lights stay lit.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EosPhotog
Congrats on the car! I just verified on my A-spec the switch turns off just the front lights. The cupholder, door, door handle, and ceiling (interior ambient) lights stay lit.
Thanks! Just to confirm, when you say front lights you are referring to the red light along the glovebox and under the steering wheel only?

Thanks again
Old 07-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
Thanks! Just to confirm, when you say front lights you are referring to the red light along the glovebox and under the steering wheel only?
Yes - the piping on the front console - glovebox and to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 AM
Instructor

Interesting!

I wonder why they would choose to have those particular lights switchable only? Most likely a design error in wiring maybe with the intent to possibly have all the ambient lighting hooked to that switch.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I confirmed the same with my car last night. I'd say that was either a really interesting engineering decision, or an error. I like the piping, so I wasn't planning on turning it off anyway. In any case, I'm in if Acura wants to change the behavior so it makes more sense.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I confirmed the same with my car last night. I'd say that was either a really interesting engineering decision, or an error. I like the piping, so I wasn't planning on turning it off anyway. In any case, I'm in if Acura wants to change the behavior so it makes more sense.
Not sure why ALL interior piping doesn't turn off, but I do believe the front piping is switchable to reduce distraction of the driver. The red light in the corner of the eye could be a problem for some. Personally, I actually like it with the front OFF now. I think it makes a cleaner view. I also like the side and ambient, so this switch is perfect for me