AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   From The Source: 2.4 TLX = Meant To Drive Sportier (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/source-2-4-tlx-%3D-meant-drive-sportier-978593/)

Beached 04-07-2019 10:16 PM

From The Source: 2.4 TLX = Meant To Drive Sportier

So I ran across this video earlier, from the 2014 TLX unveiling... a Mat Hargett, who was the Chief Engineer in charge of the TLX, said they they specifically made the 2.4 TLX drive sportier compared to the 3.5 as a nod to TSX owners, and the 3.5 drive more refined to appeal to the TL owners...

Watch or scroll to around 2:20:

Thoughts #tlxfam ???

chums 04-07-2019 10:43 PM

this is something that those who've driven both already knew.

TSXV6Guy 04-08-2019 04:45 AM

Possible explanation:
  • The decision-makers (bean counters that forced the engineering team to use the ZF9) finally DRIVE the ZF9-equipped V6 .
  • Bean counters: How come this car sucks that much? It has the V6, right? The 4-cyl is much sportier. Those engineers should be fired.
  • Engineering folks: Well... We made the V6 is more refined for classy people like you.
  • Marketing folks (just finished driving the V6): So let's spin that...

Beached 04-08-2019 05:54 AM

Lol

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy (Post 16408557)
Possible explanation:
  • The decision-makers (bean counters that forced the engineering team to use the ZF9) finally DRIVE the ZF9-equipped V6 .
  • Bean counters: How come this car sucks that much? It has the V6, right? The 4-cyl is much sportier. Those engineers should be fired.
  • Engineering folks: Well... We made the V6 is more refined for classy people like you.
  • Marketing folks (just finished driving the V6): So let's spin that...

someguy11 04-08-2019 06:47 AM

Beached: Great find. Thanks for sharing. This was not one of the dozen video reviews I had watched. I bet TSXV6GUY is right on. Quick hitter thoughts:
  • 0:00-2:00: underwhelming build up, delayed launch and Acura emphasizing the unbelievably high importance of the TLX to Acura. Acura says it's gotta be perfect, and it will be, and customers will love it.
  • 2:00-4:00: explaining two powertrains and how one TLX replaces TSX and TL.
    • Acura without question nailed the ride comfort, wind noise and road noise parts of the TLX.
    • 2:34: sweet burnout.
    • 3:52: another sweet skidpad test tire squeal/burnout.
  • 4:00: dude loves cross traffic monitor and hates the push button shifter.
  • 5:00-6:30: TLX competing against stiff competition in 3, C, A4, IS and Q. Acura confident in TLX. TLX must be a home run for Acura.
I'll keep this short. In his executive summary, the guy misses one key expectation of Acura buyers: quality. If I wanted performance, comfort and safety, I would have bought a Euro. But reliability is paramount to me. That's why I buy Asian. The TLX (mine and many others) has lacked quality in the form of the ZF9, VCM, vibrations, etc. as apparent by the TSB list and forum users. The TLX was delayed and delayed until it couldn't be delayed any longer, so it was released with all sorts of issues. The 2015 sold very well, but the V6/ZF9/SHAWD has been a quality disaster. Acura was right about the importance of the TLX. Unfortunately for them, my car has been far from perfect, not a home run, and I like it, but don't love it. It's a nice car. Not great. Not exceptional. I think the 2.4 was a better car overall, like the video suggests. At least Acura replaced my transmission. While owning my TLX has been mostly positive, there has been enough negative for me to wish I bought an IS or ES, which I'm planning next time.

I know this is an Acura enthusiast forum and these comments may not be received well here. You need not look very far to find others here leaving Acura for the competition because of the TLX.

chums 04-08-2019 08:28 AM

I just don't understand how the new Accord came out for 2018 yet Acura has the current TLX continuing until the new gen is released for 2021.

that isn't going to fly for many buyers and sales have indeed shown that.

justnspace 04-08-2019 09:46 AM

^it's Honda/Acura Motor corp. NOT Acura/Honda Motor Corp.

The Honda's get the newest tech before the Acura's... pretty much how it went for the past 10 years

Christopher. 04-10-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by chums (Post 16408531)
this is something that those who've driven both already knew.

So, does the 2.4 TLX drive very different from the ILX? Because I tried the ILX and it did not feel as "sporty" as my V6 TLX at all. Basicaly everything about my TLX I like better than the ILX (I got it as a loaner while my TLX was in the shop for the pump recall).

I added a "Sprint Booster" and drive with Traction Control off just to try and take away the throttle lag/limiting that I hate so much. Why do they call it a "Sport Sedan" but then design it to suit my Grandma's driving?!? The TLX *could* have been so much more FUN than it is, otherwise, it's a great car (I have the FWD PAWS model, no problems with vibration or otherwise).

Speed_Racer 04-10-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16408634)
^it's Honda/Acura Motor corp. NOT Acura/Honda Motor Corp.

The Honda's get the newest tech before the Acura's... pretty much how it went for the past 10 years

I don't know about that. May seem like that recently, but things like HID/LED headlights, SH-AWD, SH hybrid drivetrain, Navigation, come to mind as coming to Acura first. I'm sure there's more to that list.

hondu 04-10-2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher. (Post 16409640)
So, does the 2.4 TLX drive very different from the ILX? Because I tried the ILX and it did not feel as "sporty" as my V6 TLX at all. Basicaly everything about my TLX I like better than the ILX (I got it as a loaner while my TLX was in the shop for the pump recall).

I added a "Sprint Booster" and drive with Traction Control off just to try and take away the throttle lag/limiting that I hate so much. Why do they call it a "Sport Sedan" but then design it to suit my Grandma's driving?!? The TLX *could* have been so much more FUN than it is, otherwise, it's a great car (I have the FWD PAWS model, no problems with vibration or otherwise).

What year and model of ILX did you drive?

Christopher. 04-10-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by hondu (Post 16409818)
What year and model of ILX did you drive?

It was an A-Spec, so either 2018 or 2019? It looked brand new.

I was surprised at how not sporty feeling the suspension was - I thought it was supposed to be sporty on the A-spec version. I didn't push it hard or take corners hard though. I also don't know quite what the "S" does on the shifter? I didn't have it very long, but it was disappointing enough that I was actually happy to give it back and get back in the TLX, which is strange, because I'm so curious and had been so excited to TRY it.

I thought, if the 2.4 TLX is supposed to feel more "nimble" than the V6 TLX, then shouldn't the 2.4 ILX be even more so?

I wonder how the ILX compares to the Civic Si? I have not tried a Civic recently either, though my wife owns one (hers is the base model, it doesn't even have alloy wheels - that's what she chose).

Beached 04-10-2019 06:48 PM

I’ve never driven an ILX but it is based on the last gen civic, so I can imagine not that fun.

I’m coming from an F30 2013 328i, which hugged corners and felt planted and spirited, albeit the electronic steering was kinda dead.

My 2019 TLX base is FUN. P-AWS corners very well, right there with my bimmer. The 2.4 is not as fast as my 252hp turbo 4, but more reliable and once you hit 3k RPM’s it flys. It just feels lighter than I know it is, a cool attribute.

I’ve read quite a few people who like P-AWS better than SH-AWS as it gives you more feedback and a rear-wheel drive feeling, which is fun and bimmer like.

Knowing that Acura purposefuly built the 2.4 to drive sportier, I would assume it lives up to it (I’ve seen this echoed in many forum posts).

Originally Posted by Christopher. (Post 16409875)

I was surprised at how not sporty feeling the suspension was - I thought it was supposed to be sporty on the A-spec version. I didn't push it hard or take corners hard though. I also don't know quite what the "S" does on the shifter? I didn't have it very long, but it was disappointing enough that I was actually happy to give it back and get back in the TLX, which is strange, because I'm so curious and had been so excited to TRY it.

I thought, if the 2.4 TLX is supposed to feel more "nimble" than the V6 TLX, then shouldn't the 2.4 ILX be even more so?

I wonder how the ILX compares to the Civic Si? I have not tried a Civic recently either, though my wife owns one (hers is the base model, it doesn't even have alloy wheels - that's what she chose).

hondu 04-10-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher. (Post 16409875)

The 2019 has the diamond pentagon grille and the 2018 model the old shield. Both years have an A-spec. I think the suspension may be the same though for the two. Your review is somewhat surprising to me and opposite of some reviews I’ve read.

Christopher. 04-11-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Beached (Post 16409931)
I’ve read quite a few people who like P-AWS better than SH-AWS as it gives you more feedback and a rear-wheel drive feeling, which is fun and bimmer like.

Are you speaking of the 2.4L 4 cylinder model only, or also the 3.5L V6 P-AWS 9 (that's the one I have) - I had often wondered if I made a mistake not going w/SH-AWD. But I guess I do keep reading that it faills to deliver a driving feel like what you get from a sporty RWD car? Anyway, thanks very much for telling me that.

Sometime around ~1989 - 1990 my friend needed me to drive his BMW from his house to his work as a favor. It was a lower end smaller model - I remember it felt so fun to drive, peppy, spirited, very firm and planted, nimble feeling - though not as rough as the Porsche 944 which one of my college dorm mates had - that thing felt so stiff and made your teeth rattle even on decent roads.

I guess at some point, I should pickup some inexpensive older small BMW because (I'm guessing here) I could get somewhat the handling feel of the Mazda Miata, but more power, for more thrilling acceleration?

Beached 04-12-2019 06:05 AM

Correct. I would love if Acura had the V6 with the 8-speed DCT and P-AWS, that would be a winner. Next model will be a 2.0t from the accord and maybe the turbo v6 from the NSX, just highly de-tuned, that’s my feeling.

Originally Posted by Christopher. (Post 16410468)
Are you speaking of the 2.4L 4 cylinder model only, or also the 3.5L V6 P-AWS 9 (that's the one I have) - I had often wondered if I made a mistake not going w/SH-AWD. But I guess I do keep reading that it faills to deliver a driving feel like what you get from a sporty RWD car? Anyway, thanks very much for telling me that.

Sometime around ~1989 - 1990 my friend needed me to drive his BMW from his house to his work as a favor. It was a lower end smaller model - I remember it felt so fun to drive, peppy, spirited, very firm and planted, nimble feeling - though not as rough as the Porsche 944 which one of my college dorm mates had - that thing felt so stiff and made your teeth rattle even on decent roads.

I guess at some point, I should pickup some inexpensive older small BMW because (I'm guessing here) I could get somewhat the handling feel of the Mazda Miata, but more power, for more thrilling acceleration?

hondu 04-12-2019 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Beached (Post 16410541)
Correct. I would love if Acura had the V6 with the 8-speed DCT and P-AWS, that would be a winner. Next model will be a 2.0t from the accord and maybe the turbo v6 from the NSX, just highly de-tuned, that’s my feeling.

They will never use the V-6 from the NSX in a TLX. The engine is longitudinal, 75 degree and expensive as hell.

They are working on a turbo V6 for the coming Type-S models, but it is not based on the NSX engine.