Some stuff from our recent TLX training in TX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
"Engine idle stop ( yuck )"

please tell me we can disable this? I HATE THIS
Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Sales-wise, overall, the RDX changes have worked for them.

It looks like people who'd shop for an RDX-type of vehicle are less interested in handling and more interested in safety and reliability.
Or they may not know that the previous model's SH-AWD was superior but then it goes back to your argument about safety and reliability. The current RDX looks miles better than the previous trapezoidal/Jello mold one.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
And pricing, expect the Base 4 cylinder to be low/mid 30s and the SH-AWD advanced to be $49,995

The SH-AWD MSRP pricing is more than a RLX Advanced can be had for these days. I know, two diffferent kinds of automobiles, but.....
Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Marketing. What can you do.

All in all, though, very encouraging so far. :-)
Time for Acura to fire its marketing team then. If I were marketing, I would have made a serious push to get to 305 hp, just to be able to make that claim of being over 300 hp. Going with 290 seems like a bad move.

And you are much more optimistic than I am at this point, George. I see these numbers as a stumble on what should be an otherwise decent product release.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I've also said in past threads the 6MT is dead at Acura. DCTs are the present technology and offering a manual is like going backwards according to this company's direction. I think it's sad that BMW seems to be the only one committed to offering them. I don't expect that to stick around too long either, that is one company that has been getting soft lately too.
Actually Audi makes some darn good AWD 6MT cars. So BMW is not the only one. I prefer Audi's Quattro AWD over BMW's xDrive any day MT or AT. And I do not believe 6MT is dead just yet for Acura. I want to give at least another year or two for the TLX to offically call it dead. Something tells me though they will offer it down the road if history repeats itself. Honda/Acura makes one of the best/most engaging MTs out there. And although a very small market, they know they are the only few who offers AWD mated with 6MT right now still. Even the 2014 4G is still offered in a 6MT. IMO, they would of canned it by now if it was really dead.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
[QUOTE=rockyfeller;14966400]The fact is people are lazy. They don't want to change a flat. They think calling a tow truck is expensive and there is a wait. A kit gets you back on the road in 15 minutes. They get more trunk space too. The manufacturer touts this as a "feature" and value but in reality it's a way to cut corners and saves costs. Overpricing the spare is a no-brainer to them. Any of us with brains will just get one from EBay.

A sealer would not fix this....
Attached Thumbnails Some stuff from our recent TLX training in TX.-rlx_tire.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid

Less than 300hp???? That is the killing blow. Sure some of the new features are nice, but 300hp is the benchmark for this class. Acura was already at the bottom with only 305 advertised. Going backwards is not going to win them any fans. Guess Lexus will be my next route...
rockyfeller (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Some specs likely do leave more to be desired especially in comparison to the previous model and the RLX but I'm not going to underestimate the weight savings and new transmissions roles in increased performance because that's what allowed the engine to scale back in the first place and in the name of fuel economy which is good too. If you can compete or do as well with less power on paper, it changes very little except from a marketing perspective, which is where the problem and disappointment really lies IMO.

Truthfully, a little disappointed not to see a more sport dedicated trim and Acura not side with a little extra performance in the 310 hp variant but honestly there is still a lot to be happy about and that shouldn't take away from the rest. Naturally we have to reserve some judgement until after release and testing but they should be hands down better performers than outgoing TL models all around and the extra refinements, improvements and features (and mpg) sound very promising.

Acura has stated a few times that they want this TLX to be considered in the mid level neighborhood with cars like the 5 series and E class, etc, along with the RLX as well, one high and one low in that category as well as against the normal compacts in the price and luxury range I would assume. Hopefully, they can get a bit more consideration for the TLX in that respect compared to the last gen and an AWD ILX with some additional refinements and features will help that, almost like Caddy did the with CTS and ATS and how they position the CTS and XTS now as a result. Probably need another gen for the ILX but better and maybe true compact competitor with coupe variant seems to be the likely direction as a result of these changes.
Planned Obsolescence. Same reason why the 3G TL-S didn't get SH-AWD, Push button start, and a better navigation system.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
Funny you said that. Last weekend I was @ Costco getting new tires, and one of the employees told two different customers that using the "Fix a whatever" tire sprays voids the manufacturers warranty.
Yeah it does. But more importantly it is a safety issue. If they know that gunk is in there they can handle it without an issue. Some people won't tell the shop that they used it, that is dangerous. The techs use a quick release tool on the valve stem or cut it in order to save time. Guess what? All that fix a flat or green gunk sprays EVERYWHERE and can get in their EYES or mouth! You don't want chemicals that fix a flat tire in your eye. Yea I know they are supposed to wear goggles but they can be careless once in awhile. We had a few guys sent to the hospital with close calls. Certain techs refused to even work on them, they get really pissed when they see a tire that used that stuff. Maybe the newer sprays are better and dry faster this was a long time ago.

But trust me, I'd personally never use this stuff. There are 2 other problems with sprays if you keep it unused in your car for too long: 1) It can run out of propellant and not work when you need it. You'd have to be mindful to replace it every couple years. 2) If it gets hot enough in your trunk in the summer it will explode.

Get your jack out and change the tire. Sorry for the OT discussion, back to the program.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Stupid, stupid, stupid

Less than 300hp???? That is the killing blow. Sure some of the new features are nice, but 300hp is the benchmark for this class. Acura was already at the bottom with only 305 advertised. Going backwards is not going to win them any fans. Guess Lexus will be my next route...
A 300hp Lexus IS will still be slower than a 290hp TLX.

The 2014 IS really isn't that fast. It's about as quick as an Accord V6.
Corey_Straker (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
lexus's V6s are just as underwhelming. Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti have basically been trotting out the same V6s for the last 10 years with subtle tweaks here and there. It's easy to gain mpg by adding gears. Maybe they're afraid that FI will jeopardize their reliability reputations... but I still don't see why they can't offer a trim that can run hang up top with a 335 or an S4. When the '02 TL-S debuted, it was faster than all of its german/japanese rivals.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Actually Audi makes some darn good AWD 6MT cars. So BMW is not the only one. I prefer Audi's Quattro AWD over BMW's xDrive any day MT or AT. And I do not believe 6MT is dead just yet for Acura. I want to give at least another year or two for the TLX to offically call it dead. Something tells me though they will offer it down the road if history repeats itself. Honda/Acura makes one of the best/most engaging MTs out there. And although a very small market, they know they are the only few who offers AWD mated with 6MT right now still. Even the 2014 4G is still offered in a 6MT. IMO, they would of canned it by now if it was really dead.
IMO Audi has the best feeling chassis out of all cars. The AWD and suspension is really second to none. Solid and capable, it handles anything thrown at it. Love the interior too. The biggest thing that plagues Audis is their steering. I can't get over it, even their S models, the loosey goosey numb steering kills the experience. But the manual transmission I feel is WAY better in the BMWs. Not to mention steering. The latest 3/5 has lost the edge compared to the past. But that new M235i with a manual proves they still got their guts somewhere. There's no Audi at that price point that can compete.

In terms of Acura's direction, notice that it's trying to leave it's Honda sporty edge behind and trying to move upscale with more luxury. I know they tout all this "red carpet athlete" nonsense. It's just marketing mumbo jumbo. 6MT takes a bit more development and attention and I don't think their focus is there anymore. As Corey said they are not looking to cater to enthusiasts, this new management doesn't care about that anymore. They want solid volume numbers this time.

I don't know the numbers but I'm willing to bet they sold many MORE 3GTL manuals than they did 4GTL. Many people ask me if my car is stick. It is well known that the 3GTL offered with a choice. I have told many people the 4GTL comes as a manual, very few even knew it existed. So it seems to me like they are phasing off it. Who knows, maybe you're right and I hope that you are.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by H_CAR
A 300hp Lexus IS will still be slower than a 290hp TLX.

The 2014 IS really isn't that fast. It's about as quick as an Accord V6.
You're basing this on what fact? We have yet to see any true numbers on the TLX. What we were just told is the TLX V6 is under 300hp - that is a deal breaker for myself and many others. Even if it is a little quicker than the outgoing model due to transmission and weight reduction the hp buyers won't even look at it because of the numbers. Its a bad move by Acura, and I'm sure they did it because of the RLX.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor

You're basing this on what fact? We have yet to see any true numbers on the TLX. What we were just told is the TLX V6 is under 300hp - that is a deal breaker for myself and many others. Even if it is a little quicker than the outgoing model due to transmission and weight reduction the hp buyers won't even look at it because of the numbers. Its a bad move by Acura, and I'm sure they did it because of the RLX.
Why is that a deal breaker?

In 2008, the TL had 258hp and in 2009 it was upgraded to 280hp. The 2009 TL was slower than the 2008 despite the increase in power. In 2012 the Accord had 190hp and in 2013 it was "downgraded" to 185hp. The new Accord is still way faster than the old one.

Which do you prefer, more power and less performance or more performance and less power?

The 2014 IS is slower than the old one and didn't get a power boost, and neither did the Q50. If the Accord V6 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and the TLX is supposed to be half a second faster than the old TL SH-AWD (Which has been tested in the 5.2-5.6 second range) then what is the problem?

Last edited by H_CAR; 04-15-2014 at 10:44 AM.
a35tl (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Pro

A stock lexus is350 pre-2014 tranny dynos at around 260whp/240wtq, which is pretty much exactly what a new accord V6 6MT does. Lexus's new tranny might give a bit less drivetrain loss, but it won't be a dramatic improvement between that and the last gen, considering it's the same engine. I doubt the TLX will put down any more power than the Accord in 6MT format. So i'd guess the 3 of them are all pretty similar

justnspace (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Why is that a deal breaker?

In 2008, the TL had 258hp and in 2009 it was upgraded to 280hp. The 2009 TL was slower than the 2008 despite the increase in power. In 2012 the Accord had 190hp and in 2013 it was "downgraded" to 185hp. The new Accord is still way faster than the old one.

Which do you prefer, more power and less performance or more performance and less power?

The 2014 IS is slower than the old one and didn't get a power boost, and neither did the Q50. If the Accord V6 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and the TLX is supposed to be half a second faster than the old one (Which has been tested in the 5.2-5.6 second range) then what is the problem?
The problem is that luxury brand consumers are not the same as your mainstream brand consumers. They are paying more for a luxury vehicle and thus expect certain things, including bragging rights. Being able to say their car makes 300 hp is likely more important to them than being able to get to 60 faster. It is a panacea to their minds, but this seems to be the one thing that Acura seems to still not realize.

At the end of the day, if Acura wants to compete against BMW and Audi, then they need to play the marketing games to reach the same customers. If they want different customers than BMW and Audi, then they need to stop claiming to be a luxury automaker and accept their status as a non-luxury premium brand and focus on succeeding at that.
rockyfeller (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The problem is that luxury brand consumers are not the same as your mainstream brand consumers. They are paying more for a luxury vehicle and thus expect certain things, including bragging rights. Being able to say their car makes 300 hp is likely more important to them than being able to get to 60 faster. It is a panacea to their minds, but this seems to be the one thing that Acura seems to still not realize.

At the end of the day, if Acura wants to compete against BMW and Audi, then they need to play the marketing games to reach the same customers. If they want different customers than BMW and Audi, then they need to stop claiming to be a luxury automaker and accept their status as a non-luxury premium brand and focus on succeeding at that.
I can bet that 80% of people who buy the 3 series, C class, IS (Since most people buy the slow as hell and thirsty IS250 AWD) do not even know what type of engine their car uses, let alone the power.

They want to know the car is powerful and smooth which I think we can say with certainty those are two things the TLX will provide.
The following 2 users liked this post by H_CAR:
a35tl (04-15-2014), justnspace (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Time for Acura to fire its marketing team then. If I were marketing, I would have made a serious push to get to 305 hp, just to be able to make that claim of being over 300 hp. Going with 290 seems like a bad move.

And you are much more optimistic than I am at this point, George. I see these numbers as a stumble on what should be an otherwise decent product release.
325 hp 305 lbs.-torque, at least would have been a small step over the previous version, and no need for Turbo's or to much magic. So indeed going down in place from going up is a bad move IMHO.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
You might be right, I believe in case there race car does well, we might see some TLX performance enhancements down the road.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I have thought about the 290hp. Why is it that the SH-AWD version on the RLX with the electric motors the combined HP is 377. Would that not be a similar with the SH-AWD TLX? So, would the combined power be about 357hp? I think some of us is overlooking that. Sure the the P-AWS version will only be 290 but look how much lighter it will be. Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
Ummmm....all DI is is a more accurate fuel delivery system. I'm guessing the compression ratio is still pretty high to go along with that. That requires higher octane to avoid pinging and detonation issues.
This is 100% Correct GDI engines inject fuel directly into the cylinder at a EXTREMELY precise and high pressure amount. Were talking in some cases up to 5,000psi

Originally Posted by docboy
I had to go back up and read page 2 and just saw this.

Ugh, why are the LEDs below the headlights gone? IMHO that was one of the "cool" looking features of the TLX in all of its ads (plus its mirrors). That's like showing a child a tasty ice cream treat, letting him/her smell and savor over it, and then taking it away! Cruel to say the least.

Meh, that kind of ticks me off that Acura would deliberately show something desirable, flaunt it in its videos (ie. more than 1 video shows the TLX with the front bumper LEDs) and then take it away! Why in the world would Acura do that???
They have to get people excited then take some of that excitement away but not enough for you to turn away, then bring out all the excitement for the mid model change so you'll want a new one

Originally Posted by Tonyware
"3.5L V6 puts out 290hp and 267 torque"

Thats a little disappointing. They can get a lot more out of 3.5L. Did they say at what RPMs?

"Motion Adaptive EPS with crosswind detection"

Finally! I mean after all the TL drivers complaining they can't land the damn thing on their runway with crosswinds Actually the current TL sucks big time with crosswinds so it may help but aerodynamics are tricky and what works under some conditions doesn't work under some other conditions. Crosswinds with blowing snow is what I was thinking...

"They are planning to sell 44,000 TLX'S the first year..."

Is that world wide or just North America?
I believe 44,000 is just for USDM market at this time. They did not specify the RPM range at which these numbers were achieved. And yes, I've had many complaints of TL's getting blown over by crosswind

Originally Posted by KeithL
Both a bargain, the LED headlights on my A6 are like $2800
That's the idea behind it! Although I think I personally prefer a single projector emitting light than multiple. But to each there own. They still look cool

First of all THANKS so much for giving us this inside info Corey. Second of all, are you sure you don't want to change your screen-name? If that isn't your real name, it still seems too easy to trace who you are. I just hope Acura corporate doesn't give you an issue. In most companies something as innocent as this can land you in hot water. I hope you're safe.

After all the speculation it was nice to hear details that add up and the first thread to make real sense. Everything you mentioned is conceivable and it confirmed most of our notions.

What stood out to me the most is that the 4 cylinder powerplant is underpowered. Perhaps they will market the "TURBO!" concept heavily, lol. Weight and acceleration suggests it is probably adequate but if it pales heavily to the 6-cyl version, then it will be a problem. Perhaps a few "appliance drivers" (driver's who just want a commuter. They just want the badge and don't care much about the trim.) may buy it. But people who research carefully won't. I'll give an example of this: The Jaguar XF came only as a V8 this is overkill and a gas-guzzler for most people. They then introduced a V6 which is PERFECT for 90% of the market. Now they have a pathetic anemic 4cyl. I drove it, BLAH the turbo-lag is ridiculous. This was a bad move, they can't move these cars off the lot, nobody wants them. It's as if they made this model just to be competitive and offer options. It's obvious on the redesign this will be dropped. It is clearly underpowered and takes away from what the brand is about. The 4-cyl in the TLX should have bought at least 230hp to be marketable. Perhaps once I drive it I can say for sure but I doubt it.

SH-AWD ILX?? I think that is a risky move. There doesn't seem to be much of an ILX market in the first place. And that's not because of a lack of SH-AWD. A fully loaded ILX is not exactly a bargain and an SH-AWD model will take the top extent of prices even higher. I don't see that helping. The car itself is actually a GREAT car and under-rated, particularly the 6-speed model, which basically drives like a Civic Si. It will surprise you how fun it is to drive, I think it is the MOST fun to drive Acura in the entire present lineup. If they are going to now share that 4-cyl engine with DCT, they are surely going to drop that 6-speed model. It's not selling and partially so because most people don't even know it exists. Sad. What is killing this car is the bland styling. That's it. Good thing jewel lights are coming, that means a refresh with it hopefully. They need to make that car look aggressive. Otherwise it's dead in the water with SH-AWD.
In regards to my screen name, I don't really care. I work for a dealership so Acura Corporate can't do squat about it. I didn't sign an NDA nor was I asked too, I couldn't pull out my phone and take pictures or TRUST ME I would have, they had bouncers around the cars that would stop you. I work for Superior Automotive as a Sales Consultant and Product Specialist. While sales is my main roal, I spend most of my time as a specialist answering those questions others cant. Meaning, Acura Corporate can't do anything other than request the dealership fire me, which they would quickly respond with the answer of GFY.

I am the biggest cynic of big corporate entities and their interests. Having worked for plenty and doing sales for many years have had me see plenty of evil. I'm really good at sales, I just don't gel with those job roles anymore. The advantage of a corporation is the manpower and capital to get big projects done and market them to masses. That's about it. Otherwise real quality, trust and service in the business world is always with the small business model. I own one so I can relate. Whenever possible I deal with the little guy if he can do it better, even if it costs more.

When I was in sales the salespeople that make numbers were only of 2 flavors: The evil satan ones that know full well how it all works and don't care. They want the commission. They can sell toasters for all they care. These are the majority. The other type are the nice ones that buy into the kool-aid. I was once this type but woke up. The salespeople that make bad numbers didn't matter, they were the next to get laid off. Management's job is to motivate everybody regardless of which type they are so they will appeal to both flavors. I hope what I said doesn't offend you, I can tell you are a good person with good intentions.Most of my nice friends in sales are so in LOVE their product/company because of the way the company has pitched it to them. It's not that they are naive but management knows that in order to make salespeople motivated you have to sell it to THEM too. They don't want you to see too much behind the scenes to let you know how it all really works. The corners they cut, the unethical stuff, cheating, stealing, politics, etc. Why not? It's those evil ones that get higher faster in this company. I know this sounds negative and I wish I could find an exception to this, I really haven't. Hence why many of us think that dealers/corporations are evil. So I am always on the defensive and want to be a informed customer. I ALWAYS do my homework on every purchase and do what suits me instead of being "sold to". I wouldn't have known as much without having been a salesman myself.

I commend you for speaking up to the designers, what you said is sensible and nearly anyone would agree it's the truth. Obviously they are not listening to you or us. You see how your GM shut you up? The rule is always to go along with people in influence higher than you. They always want to promote that guy.

As you said they don't give a rats ass about the enthusiasts. Not surprised at all. In the 50s cars were designed with bold and wild imagination. They could afford to take risks, the American auto industry boomed. Look at Porsche or Ferrari today. They don't have to spend so much on TV commercials. They can make a car with a soul and design directly to a niche market. Acura is trying to stay afloat and keep the lights on. When a company is desperate they want to take the "safe route". As you said volume and numbers is all that matter and the number crunchers have their calculators out. These guys upstairs can be out of a job otherwise. This car HAS to sell without question. But in times of desperation can either come incredible success or massive failure. I only see a Type-S coming out only in 2-3yrs if this car is a hit. Otherwise forget it.

I've also said in past threads the 6MT is dead at Acura. DCTs are the present technology and offering a manual is like going backwards according to this company's direction. I think it's sad that BMW seems to be the only one committed to offering them. I don't expect that to stick around too long either, that is one company that has been getting soft lately too.
I could not agree more with you, it needs to end. I think the people just wanting to "go along" with it is what holds back the human race in some regards. It drives me nuts the company isn't driven by design. It's by profit. It seems like none are anymore.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Exactly, I'm not paying close to $50K for a car with less than 300hp...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I honestly dont think the 290hp bit is a big deal as long as Acura/Honda has spent a great deal of R&D refining this powertrain combo. "300hp" may be a mentally stimulating number but imagine the look on the guys face that has a 328hp G37 or 300hp 335i or 302hp C350 that gets beat at the light with your 290hp engine and gets 34mpg. THATS bragging rights in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by reddogTL:
a35tl (04-15-2014), MyT6MT (04-17-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Fine, then pay $50k for a car with 300hp but that is still slower than the TLX
The following 2 users liked this post by H_CAR:
a35tl (04-15-2014), internalaudit (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
lexus's V6s are just as underwhelming. Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti have basically been trotting out the same V6s for the last 10 years with subtle tweaks here and there. It's easy to gain mpg by adding gears. Maybe they're afraid that FI will jeopardize their reliability reputations... but I still don't see why they can't offer a trim that can run hang up top with a 335 or an S4. When the '02 TL-S debuted, it was faster than all of its german/japanese rivals.
The new TLX will most likely be a nice and reliable car; right know its to premature to speculate, we don't know, hence I'm a little disappointed in the no manual transmission option and a decline in hp and torque.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
IMO Audi has the best feeling chassis out of all cars. The AWD and suspension is really second to none. Solid and capable, it handles anything thrown at it. Love the interior too. The biggest thing that plagues Audis is their steering. I can't get over it, even their S models, the loosey goosey numb steering kills the experience. But the manual transmission I feel is WAY better in the BMWs. Not to mention steering. The latest 3/5 has lost the edge compared to the past. But that new M235i with a manual proves they still got their guts somewhere. There's no Audi at that price point that can compete.
BMW's electrically assisted steering is pretty bad too, with virtually zero feedback, though supposedly the 3 Series steering has been tweaked since the F30's introduction in 2012. I tested a couple of early ones, including a 328i Sport Line with 6MT, and could not believe the near total lack of steering feel. I'm not crazy about the EPS in my Acura, but it's better than the steering in the new 328i models I've tested. I plan to try a 320i with Sport Package soon, so I'll find out if things have improved.

And this is an area in which the TLX could get my attention. With the switch to electric assist, most new cars have poor steering feel, so I'd be excited if the TLX bucked that trend.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I honestly dont think the 290hp bit is a big deal as long as Acura/Honda has spent a great deal of R&D refining this powertrain combo. "300hp" may be a mentally stimulating number but imagine the look on the guys face that has a 328hp G37 or 300hp 335i or 302hp C350 that gets beat at the light with your 290hp engine and gets 34mpg. THATS bragging rights in my opinion.
Over at DriveAccord, people were talking about dyno testing on the V6 and it seems from the results that Honda understated the HP and Torque ratings:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh....php?p=2114114

Maybe they are doing the same thing with the TLX numbers?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Pro

Well said.

I think it gets lost that the 2nd and 3rd gen TLs didn't just sell well because they were attractive and well priced, they were also faster than their rivals..

In 2002, you had the TL Type-S @ 260hp, the 330i at 230hp, the a4 3.0 at 217hp, the C320 at 215hp, and the IS300/ES300 at 215hp. That's a big sell. When the 3rd gen came out in 04, it was still the dominant player. Nothing new from Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes yet. Audi jumps to a 252hp 3.2L V6 for the B7 A4 and Infinti introduces the G35 with a "huge" 3.5L V6 putting out 260hp. So in 2002, Acura set the bar in 2004, Infiniti met them. Japan is sending a message.

The next big player to emerge would be the IS350 in 2006. This was a big deal as we got to the "300" figure without using the letter M, AMG, or S/RS. So now you had the big 3 of japan beating all the mainstream german options in the "numbers" game.

In 2007, acura offered a Type-S variant with 286hp to bring it closer.. But in 2007, the 335 came out, advertising 300hp/300tq but putting down numbers that suggested it was significantly faster. (My car dynoed stock in the mid 270s). In 2008, Infiniti countered with a 3.7L that advertised even greater HP numbers, yet still appeared to be slower than the 335 in every measure of acceleration.

So in 2009, acura comes out with an ugly, inflated, whale of a TL that's introduced with lower performance numbers than the offerings from BMW, Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus. And they wonder why it doesn't sell? Meanwhile, Audi drops their non-S v6 option and moves the S4 downmarket with a 333hp supercharged V6 that runs with the 335 at a comparable price point.

Fast forward all the way to 2014, same VQ 3.7L V6 from infiniti just with a new transmission, same 3.5L V6 from lexus just with a new transmission, a single turboed 335 has replaced the twin turboed one that came out in '07, but it's still the hardest hitter in the class, Audi continues to offer the supercharged 3.0 mated to a dual clutch or a stick.

I think if you want an example of "getting the picture" look at the C class. The car hasn't been a good seller in seemingly forever. In 2009, they bumped it to 268hp, in 2012, they bumped it to 305. Finally, they unveil a completely new model for 2015, equipped with an available 329hp/354hp turbo V6 in C400 trim.

So let's not act surprised that people aren't enthused when Acura went from leading the pack in gens 2 and 3 to being at the bottom of the barrel for gens 4 and 5.
Nedmundo (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So let me get this straight, the v6 accord gets 278hp on regular fuel and the acura with several years to develope a more powerful engine and the use of 30-40 cent more premium fuel is only returning 12hp....really acura. This car better have massive gains in performance.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Over at DriveAccord, people were talking about dyno testing on the V6 and it seems from the results that Honda understated the HP and Torque ratings:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh....php?p=2114114

Maybe they are doing the same thing with the TLX numbers?
You're probably right, but Acura shouldn't be understating them here. It makes sense on the Accord, marketed for sensibility, practicality, responsibility, eco-friendliness, etc... But it's a poor choice here. If it really does dyno as strong as a IS350, or a G37, then they need to advertise it as such. Infiniti's been overrating that G37 engine for 7 years now. Everyone knows it can't keep up with a "300hp" 335i.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Racer

Besides HP/Torque Ratings, what else would the luxury brand consumer find in competing offerings (>$55k) that the highest-end Acura TLX still lack? Brand cachet and what else (I'm sure there are a lot more that are lacking)?

Brand building takes years to build and as per many members here, Acura wasted it away the last few years with the beak fascia and what not.

I'm genuinely interested to know.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
You're probably right, but Acura shouldn't be understating them here. It makes sense on the Accord, marketed for sensibility, practicality, responsibility, eco-friendliness, etc... But it's a poor choice here. If it really does dyno as strong as a IS350, or a G37, then they need to advertise it as such. Infiniti's been overrating that G37 engine for 7 years now. Everyone knows it can't keep up with a "300hp" 335i.
I don't think the G37's engine has been overrated. Rather, it's BMW who's been underrating the 335i big time.
The following 7 users liked this post by iforyou:
Acura_Dude (04-15-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (04-15-2014), FoxTL (04-15-2014), hadokenuh (04-15-2014), internalaudit (04-15-2014), rockyfeller (04-15-2014), VR1 (04-15-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
The problem is that luxury brand consumers are not the same as your mainstream brand consumers. They are paying more for a luxury vehicle and thus expect certain things, including bragging rights. Being able to say their car makes 300 hp is likely more important to them than being able to get to 60 faster.
I think most people are overstating this fact. I mean on this board, this type of thinking will prevail, but if we assume that Acura is trying to cater to a discerning clientele, then we have to understand what that typical clientele finds important.

Now granted, this is just 1 example, but for arguments sake, lets take it as a cross-section example.
When my uncle (age = mid 50's) was pricing cars , he looked at the Lexus LS, Acura RLX, Audi A8 and BMW 7series and Merc. E-class

He and his wife were intersted in the amenities the car offered. Heated/Cooled seats, Blind spot monitoring, Navigation, easy access to controls, keyless entry/start, pushbutton start, one touch sunroof, (and the list goes on).

Honestly, not once did he really talk about HP, or 0-60times. They were more concerned with ride quality and smoothness of shifting, and if the car could reach highway speeds (on ramps), and passing speeds at a good clip.

I think we (as enthusiasts), may put a bit too much 'guff' in the numbers that the "regular guy" just doesn't even understand or care about.

Last edited by Goosew; 04-15-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
The following 4 users liked this post by Goosew:
Acura_Dude (04-15-2014), hadokenuh (04-15-2014), internalaudit (04-15-2014), terdonal (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Volvo Defector

Do we know what the federal standards are for the gas guzzler taxes? At what HP number do they take effect? Are they tiered by HP? Like $100 gas tax at 300hp, $500 at 350hp, $1000 at 400hp, etc.?

Maybe there's current or future regulations that Acura know's about and they're just planning to try and keep the $ down. Just like Japan always had the HP pegged at 276hp for many years due to government regulations.
internalaudit (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Fine, then pay $50k for a car with 300hp but that is still slower than the TLX
You apparently are missing the point. We're talking about marketing strategy. Acura is failing

Well said.

I think it gets lost that the 2nd and 3rd gen TLs didn't just sell well because they were attractive and well priced, they were also faster than their rivals..

In 2002, you had the TL Type-S @ 260hp, the 330i at 230hp, the a4 3.0 at 217hp, the C320 at 215hp, and the IS300/ES300 at 215hp. That's a big sell. When the 3rd gen came out in 04, it was still the dominant player. Nothing new from Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes yet. Audi jumps to a 252hp 3.2L V6 for the B7 A4 and Infinti introduces the G35 with a "huge" 3.5L V6 putting out 260hp. So in 2002, Acura set the bar in 2004, Infiniti met them. Japan is sending a message.

The next big player to emerge would be the IS350 in 2006. This was a big deal as we got to the "300" figure without using the letter M, AMG, or S/RS. So now you had the big 3 of japan beating all the mainstream german options in the "numbers" game.

In 2007, acura offered a Type-S variant with 286hp to bring it closer.. But in 2007, the 335 came out, advertising 300hp/300tq but putting down numbers that suggested it was significantly faster. (My car dynoed stock in the mid 270s). In 2008, Infiniti countered with a 3.7L that advertised even greater HP numbers, yet still appeared to be slower than the 335 in every measure of acceleration.

So in 2009, acura comes out with an ugly, inflated, whale of a TL that's introduced with lower performance numbers than the offerings from BMW, Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus. And they wonder why it doesn't sell? Meanwhile, Audi drops their non-S v6 option and moves the S4 downmarket with a 333hp supercharged V6 that runs with the 335 at a comparable price point.

Fast forward all the way to 2014, same VQ 3.7L V6 from infiniti just with a new transmission, same 3.5L V6 from lexus just with a new transmission, a single turboed 335 has replaced the twin turboed one that came out in '07, but it's still the hardest hitter in the class, Audi continues to offer the supercharged 3.0 mated to a dual clutch or a stick.

I think if you want an example of "getting the picture" look at the C class. The car hasn't been a good seller in seemingly forever. In 2009, they bumped it to 268hp, in 2012, they bumped it to 305. Finally, they unveil a completely new model for 2015, equipped with an available 329hp/354hp turbo V6 in C400 trim.

So let's not act surprised that people aren't enthused when Acura went from leading the pack in gens 2 and 3 to being at the bottom of the barrel for gens 4 and 5.
Thank you. When we consider what camry and accord v6 models are capable of and their cost, Acura looks like a joke. The SH-AWD is amazing, but that alone isn't going to sell the car, if it did there would be a shit ton more 4G's on the road. As a current 4G owner I was hoping for hp/torque in the 320/300 range. If they're saving a couple mpg by neutering the motor they need to offer another option. Anyone who cares that much about mpg isn't going for the V6 anyway
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Goosew
I think most people are overstating this fact. I mean on this board, this type of thinking will prevail, but if we assume that Acura is trying to cater to a discerning clientele, then we have to understand what that typical clientele finds important.

Now granted, this is just 1 example, but for arguments sake, lets take it as a cross-section example.
When my uncle (age = mid 50's was pricing cars , he looked at the Lexus LS, Acura RLX, Audi A8 and BMW 7series and Merc. E-class

He and his wife were intersted in the amenities the car offered. Heated seats, Blind spot monitoring, Navigation, easy access to controls, keyless entry/start, pushbutton start, one touch sunroof, (and the list goes on).

Honestly, not once did he really talk about HP, or 0-60times. They were more concerned with ride quality and smoothness of shifting, and if the car could reach highway speeds (off ramps), and passing speeds at a good clip.

I think we (as enthusiasts), may put a bit too much 'guff' in the numbers that the "regular guy" just doesn't even understand or care about.
What did he decide on? Seems all those features can be found in mid-level luxury vehicles nowadays.

Anything feature that tipped them towards a particular model?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by iforyou
I don't think the G37's engine has been overrated. Rather, it's BMW who's been underrating the 335i big time.
That's fair. I always forget neglect torque figures when I think about these things.

A dyno will tell you, S4>335i>G37. Published crank figures will tell you S4>G37>335i. Quarter mile times will tell you S4>335i>G37. So really, the 335i is underrated, the S4 is equally as underrated. The G37 is about right.

Either way, acura isn't touching the 335 or the s4 without starting from scratch, which isn't what they've done here.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Racer

Besides HP/Torque Ratings, what else would the luxury brand consumer find in competing offerings (>$55k) that the highest-end Acura TLX still lack? Brand cachet and what else (I'm sure there are a lot more that are lacking)?

Brand building takes years to build and as per many members here, Acura wasted it away the last few years with the beak fascia and what not.

I'm genuinely interested to know.
Most other brands changed philosophy, Hyundai/Kia jumped on the wagon as well and fast. For one dark reason Acura did not, lets see what will transpire in the near future. For now the numbers disappoint me.

The numbers might disappoint me, the overall driving experience might be different and please. I like performance and might be to hang-up on this. I think for the majority a lot of other factors are more important.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 04-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Volvo Defector

That's fair. I always forget neglect torque figures when I think about these things.

A dyno will tell you, S4>335i>G37. Published crank figures will tell you S4>G37>335i. Quarter mile times will tell you S4>335i>G37. So really, the 335i is underrated, the S4 is equally as underrated. The G37 is about right.

Either way, acura isn't touching the 335 or the s4 without starting from scratch, which isn't what they've done here.
Isnt the 335 0-60 times in the low 5's? That's about where the TLX is according to Corey's notes at the beginning of this thread.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
What did he decide on? Seems all those features can be found in mid-level luxury vehicles nowadays.

Anything feature that tipped them towards a particular model?
He went with the A8. And for all the features/reasons that he'll never really use. (once again, not for the HP, or 0-60 times)

I think a big thing came down to them liking the Audi MMI (navigation/multi media interface the best).
Although the massage seats didn't hurt
The following 2 users liked this post by Goosew:
Acura_Dude (04-15-2014), internalaudit (04-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Some stuff from our recent TLX training in TX.