So it has been a week since the reveal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
I want to see the a-spec in silver
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (04-24-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think a big step on improvement is to build an AT without dog clutches. They are simple, efficient, take up little space in the case but shifting them is the same as shifting a manual gearbox without syncros. The shift has to be super precise every time. This IIRC is harder to going down do than up like kicking down to pass.

Back in ancient muscle car history you could build a cheater gear box by removing every other tooth in these assemblies. If you were quick with your shifting you could run the 1/4 mile using the clutch only to launch & the pedal to the floor al the way through the run.

In a lot of ways the 9AT is attempting to do just this without the advantage of synchromesh rings in the box..

One thing they may have gotten right with the box is if they are running similar ratios to Volvo it should be among the very best at transferring engine power to the wheels.
There's a lot of misinformation about how the transmission shifts. This video explains the operation. Start around the 20 min mark.

Apparently one dog clutch is applied from 1-5th gear, the other 1-7th gear. It seems that the 'lag' in the shifts is due to connecting the Input Shaft to the gear set.

Really the transmission doesn't due anything magical, but it seems ZF tuned it to be a little slower than it could be.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
They did more in the MMC than I expected. Added some desirable features for me. As for the styling, I'll have to see it in person. I never had an issues with the current styling. BUT.... as an owner of a later 2015 build, this car still has that POS 9AT and I just won't buy a car with that transmission. To me that transmission is a deal breaker. Several times a week I curse and swear at this car. Probably the only car I've owned that I truly hate. There are nice features that I enjoy, but the transmission is a deal breaker. Of course when I test drove the car this did happen. I think it is part of the learning behavior that does it. I've had all the software updates and the car still hesitates and surges on downshifts. The one thing it doesn't do any longer is that slight surge forward as I'm about the stop.

I recently went to the auto show. I've noticed how more and more car makers are cutting corners on materials. Maybe the next FMC model with a new transition might be a car I'd consider, but I'd really have to swallow hard to get over the feelings I have about this car and Acura to give them another shot at my hard earned money. This is one car that I will be happy to part with. Just have to wait a little longer so I'll lose less money.

Originally Posted by BlackTLXadvance
"Fixed", it isn't "fixed". It still jerks and hesitates, it's the nature of the dog clutch. If I knew Acura has gone down the tubes I would have never gotten this car. Acura has really lost my trust with this car. This is coming from a Acura owner who bought this car without hesitation because I knew Acura is known for reliability. Not anymore, they have gone way way down.

They cant even fix their own mistakes. To me this new reveal is just to cover and mask their mistake that is the TLX. Looks wise what other Acura has gone this drastic with the looks? Well none, they have to because the TLX isn't selling as good.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
They did more in the MMC than I expected. Added some desirable features for me. As for the styling, I'll have to see it in person. I never had an issues with the current styling. BUT.... as an owner of a later 2015 build, this car still has that POS 9AT and I just won't buy a car with that transmission. To me that transmission is a deal breaker. Several times a week I curse and swear at this car. Probably the only car I've owned that I truly hate. There are nice features that I enjoy, but the transmission is a deal breaker. Of course when I test drove the car this did happen. I think it is part of the learning behavior that does it. I've had all the software updates and the car still hesitates and surges on downshifts. The one thing it doesn't do any longer is that slight surge forward as I'm about the stop.

I recently went to the auto show. I've noticed how more and more car makers are cutting corners on materials. Maybe the next FMC model with a new transition might be a car I'd consider, but I'd really have to swallow hard to get over the feelings I have about this car and Acura to give them another shot at my hard earned money. This is one car that I will be happy to part with. Just have to wait a little longer so I'll lose less money.
There will be many more like you, and few would move on to different brands and wont ever come back. I wish Acura/Honda did look at life time value of lost customers and terminate contract for 9zf. TLX is the only sedan they have which is somewhat competitive in the market and they know they are losing significant volume due to transmission reputation.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
There will be many more like you, and few would move on to different brands and wont ever come back. I wish Acura/Honda did look at life time value of lost customers and terminate contract for 9zf. TLX is the only sedan they have which is somewhat competitive in the market and they know they are losing significant volume due to transmission reputation.

I'm sad to say Acura is not number one in reliability and resale value anymore. My last car was a 2007 TSX and I loved that car. It made me decide to upgrade to the TLX. I thought to myself,"it's an Acura no problem."

They really should have designed and tested their own transmissions. Look at the Duel Clutch 9Speed on the NSX. Why didn't they outsource that?

Because of cost and they want to save as much as possible, even with this refresh I don't like it. The back number is black, not elegant or even sporty in my opinion. Not even in between, it's like they know they can save money on paint or something. Straight black plastic, it's like we are back in the 1990s with those civics put on their ghetto body kits without painting it.

And that grill i cant put my finger on it but it looks a little odd.

Never say never but if I ever bought an Acura I will be very skeptical. They won't take my money as easily as the TLX. Acura to me is known for being cheap on their cars from now on and when there's a problem they won't fix it but cover it up. To me that's what Acura is now.
Rocket_man (04-29-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Agreed....I am assuming (as many others have said here) that they have a contract for some number of transmissions (or years) from ZF and the slowdown in sales over the past couple of years has forced them to keep putting it in the car. I am hopeful that when the contract runs out that they do a switch. I am sure that they would like to buy out the contract, but the cost would kill them. Easier to say that it is performing as designed and then since it is performing so well, to keep issuing TSBs and updates to fix a problem that does not exist.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by quantum7
Agreed....I am assuming (as many others have said here) that they have a contract for some number of transmissions (or years) from ZF and the slowdown in sales over the past couple of years has forced them to keep putting it in the car. I am hopeful that when the contract runs out that they do a switch. I am sure that they would like to buy out the contract, but the cost would kill them. Easier to say that it is performing as designed and then since it is performing so well, to keep issuing TSBs and updates to fix a problem that does not exist.
Even when TLX 9zf issues were known, they decided to put the same transmission in MDX and Pilot. That is height of something (stupidity, stubbornness or whatever)..
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Even when TLX 9zf issues were known, they decided to put the same transmission in MDX and Pilot. That is height of something (stupidity, stubbornness or whatever)..
No; *intelligence*. It gets great numbers, can be sporty with the right mode selected (Sport+) and is now buttersmooth (2016-). What's not to like? The 290HP / ZF9 powertrain is a sweet companion.

They even got 28mpg @ 75mph and 0-60 in 6.0s with this 4200lbs mammoth.
Acura MDX Reviews - Acura MDX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Last edited by Saintor; 04-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Saintor:
b4hand (04-23-2017), mapleloaf (04-24-2017), nore03 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Saintor
No; *intelligence*. It gets great numbers, can be sporty with the right mode selected (Sport+) and is now buttersmooth (2016-). What's not to like? The 290HP / ZF9 powertrain is a sweet companion.

They even got 28mpg @ 75mph and 0-60 in 6.0s with this 4200lbs mammoth.
Acura MDX Reviews - Acura MDX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
I'd have to agree here. Consumer demands are higher than 'old Honda/Acura' could supply. People want a fast car that still gets good gas milage.

Of course Honda is developing a 10 speed in-house transmission, along with the DCT's they already have. I have no doubt the next tlx will either be DCT, or the 10 speed.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
People still complaining about the early issues of 9ZF? LOL. It's like buying a set of bad eggs and forever thinking that all eggs are bad. Jebus, move on people. That is why MMCs are there, to improve.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This one is a little better because it actually shows a dog clutch functioning. Around 9 minutes into the vid. What you will see is the dog clutch with its teeth on the inside move forward to engage the teeth on the outside of the sun gear shaft. This meshing of teeth on the fly without any syncros is what creates the problem. The timing has to be precise to get the two pieces to merge without hitting tooth edge on tooth edge (the grinding you hear on a poor manual shift)

Old 04-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a '15 v6 SH-AWD with 17K miles that I own outright, and while the new grille and rear exhaust are nice, and the updates to the infotainment system are also nice, I can't see plopping down another $10-15K for those differences. The interior and the power train are essentially identical to the '15.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by edmua6
People still complaining about the early issues of 9ZF? LOL. It's like buying a set of bad eggs and forever thinking that all eggs are bad. Jebus, move on people. That is why MMCs are there, to improve.
Dog clutch was mentioned even in recent reviews of MDX and Pilot (and not in a good way). Let's wait for reviews of TLX MMC and see how many of those reviews still mention 9zf..
Old 04-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
This one is a little better because it actually shows a dog clutch functioning. Around 9 minutes into the vid. What you will see is the dog clutch with its teeth on the inside move forward to engage the teeth on the outside of the sun gear shaft. This meshing of teeth on the fly without any syncros is what creates the problem. The timing has to be precise to get the two pieces to merge without hitting tooth edge on tooth edge (the grinding you hear on a poor manual shift)
But if you watched the one I posted, the dog clutch doesn't move on shifts 1-5, so that information is incorrect.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by b4hand
But if you watched the one I posted, the dog clutch doesn't move on shifts 1-5, so that information is incorrect.
Hey the transmission is just as confused as you are about how it works. 😛
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by b4hand
The transmission has 2 dog Clutches shift 4-5 & 7-8. Heavy torque reduction on these shifts to make the gear engage. Slightly less dip on upshifts but a big dip in power on downshifts when kicking down to pass.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Thumbs down

First time posting in a very long time. I've had my eye on the TLX for a long time figuring I'll be ready to trade in my 2010 TSX Tech sometime soon. But I never really fell in love with the looks and with the complaints about the transmition I figured I would be moving on after having 3 Acura's and one Accord since 1995 (first all new car was the Integra). My TSX has given me zero issues in the 125K miles I've owned it and I'm figuring I would keep it until summer of 2018. Audi is now tops on my list for my new set of wheels come next year (either A5 or A4).

But with the recent release of the ASpec, I was thinking there might be a chance I could stay with Acura. I do like the way it looks in the recent pictures and videos I've watched. Well today I was reminded why i'll be moving
away from Acura.

I brought my car in for inspection today (Limerick PA) and was given a new TLX as a loaner. It only had 6000k on it. 6 cylinder loaded (not SHAWD). I can confirm with the 60 miles of mixed driving the transmition is not fixed. It was the first time I had a 6 TlX as a loaner. I couldnt believe how bad the tranny bucked and jerked, especially during braking. It just is not a natural feel. I brought it up to the salesmen as I walked out and they just nodded. They said possibly in the future it will be fixed.

It is a shame. I want to continue to purchase Acura products because my experience with them has been stellar. If I didn't total my 04 TL I would still have it. But there is just something wrong with this car and they refuse to fix it. It really is too bad.
Rocket_man (04-29-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

It only had 6000k on it. 6 cylinder loaded (not SHAWD). I can confirm with the 60 miles of mixed driving the transmition is not fixed. It was the first time I had a 6 TlX as a loaner. I couldnt believe how bad the tranny bucked and jerked, especially during braking. It just is not a natural feel. I brought it up to the salesmen as I walked out and they just nodded. They said possibly in the future it will be fixed
Must have been a 2015. Because there is no 2016- with jerkiness and yes it is all fixed.... and nobody even complained in MDX world.. 2016- are as butter-smooth as it gets. Certainly much more than old 5-sp./6-sp. of yore.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Racer

2015 with 6K on it in perfect condition? It was barely driven. Smelled brand new. Could it be that it was built that long ago and now only being used? I'm not sure about that. Maybe possible?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The dealership I bought my 2017 SH-AWD w advance still has a brand new 2015 TLX. It never sold. They are going to use it as a loaner. If that transmission is one of the bad ones maybe a bad idea? My 9ZF is a smooth puppy!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks like there is another set of Acura rims available as well.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/rla0E_gCtq8
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ several observations...

1. They finally figured out how to design good looking rims again. I honestly can't believe it.

2. Looks like they are still choosing to have tack-on pieces even with the MMC. (lower sill piece). Why?

3. I can't wait to see this thing in black, silver, or graphite.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33
The dealership I bought my 2017 SH-AWD w advance still has a brand new 2015 TLX. It never sold. They are going to use it as a loaner. If that transmission is one of the bad ones maybe a bad idea? My 9ZF is a smooth puppy!
Same here. At 14.5k, my ZF is just fine.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33
I really do hope it's fixed. I will definitely look and drive the ASpec when it delivers. I prefer to stay with Acura if it makes sense. But the Audi's will also be a consideration.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 TLX vs 2018 TLX

Hi Guys,

I just read through this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this. Pardon me if it isn't.

I am a first time Acura buyer, I love the TLX, I currently drive a Jeep and am looking to buy the TLX, which model would you suggest, should I go for the 2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD with Tech package or should I wait for the 2018 TLX releasing in June? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the transmission problem until I saw this thread, I use only the automatic transmission. The dealer is offering around $7000 off on the 2017 model, should I be tempted into buying the older model?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by paamaran
Hi Guys,

I just read through this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this. Pardon me if it isn't.

I am a first time Acura buyer, I love the TLX, I currently drive a Jeep and am looking to buy the TLX, which model would you suggest, should I go for the 2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD with Tech package or should I wait for the 2018 TLX releasing in June? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the transmission problem until I saw this thread, I use only the automatic transmission. The dealer is offering around $7000 off on the 2017 model, should I be tempted into buying the older model?
If you want to save some money, go with the '17. It's unlikely that the '18s will be as aggressively priced as the current '17s are. Obviously, the '18s have fresher styling and newer technology including Car Play. Don't know how important the upgrades are to you. The '15 model TLX V6 had significant hard shifting transmission issues. From everything I've seen though, the majority of those issues were corrected in model years '16 & newer. Some still don't like the nature of the 9 speed automatic but that seems to be a matter of personal preference. Many owners of '16 and newer TLX models seem perfectly content with the transmission. The harsh shifting of the '15 models has seemingly been rectified. With the extremely aggressive pricing I've seen on the '17s, it would be very tempting to pull the trigger on one and not wait for the '18s.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Give them 4-6 months discounts will be fairly good, even if they sell well first few months that will taper off. Find the right dealer with the car you want at the end of a month and they will deal.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

Pretty typical of the early reviews.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I pulled the trigger on mine 3 weeks ago (SH-AWD w advance) because I got a huge discount, $9,300 off MSRP, and because I did not see anything I could not live without. The current infotainment system is a HUGE upgrade from my last car and I don't care about Apple CarPlay. The basics of the car doesn't change and I decided the dual exhaust doesn't need to be visible to make me happy.

All in all I feel I got a great dea on a car I'm really enjoying. Find the deal that feels right for you and go for it!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
The biggest obstacle Acura has for someone like me who's looking to upgrade in the next 1-2 yrs from a 2012 TL is that, although the A-spec looks great, it's MSRP is within $500 of a Infiniti Q50S 3.0T AWD. The Infiniti lays down some CRAZY performance times and has oodles of grip on the skidpad that I'm sure the A-spec will not be able to touch, it also comes with a factory big brake kit and some other legit performance goodies. I think the only thing the A-spec might beat it in is possibly some of the tech, maybe the steering wheel and the seats.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
I believe the side sill is one piece. If you follow the lines there is no cut off, but I see where at the top it looks like it.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wreak
The biggest obstacle Acura has for someone like me who's looking to upgrade in the next 1-2 yrs from a 2012 TL is that, although the A-spec looks great, it's MSRP is within $500 of a Infiniti Q50S 3.0T AWD. The Infiniti lays down some CRAZY performance times and has oodles of grip on the skidpad that I'm sure the A-spec will not be able to touch, it also comes with a factory big brake kit and some other legit performance goodies. I think the only thing the A-spec might beat it in is possibly some of the tech, maybe the steering wheel and the seats.
This is what I'm wondering also. I wonder what the actual cost will be and how close it will be to others like the Audi A4 and possibly the A5 that I'm looking at for replacing my 2010 TSX next summer. I really like the virtual cockpit in the Audis and the engines are strong. The navi in the Acura's are so dated and look cartoonish. But I'll need to test drive both the same week and see what I'm getting for each cost.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Are you comparing the base model though? When I go to Infinti website, while the base Q50 3.0T starts at $40.5k, I can also get up that is at $58k, and that's not the 400hp Red Sport version. I believe the TLX tops at $44k or something. I have a feeling the TLX is probably better equipped at the same pricing level.

Also, I know that the Q50 Red Sport is pretty darn fast - particularly I'm impressed by its 1/4 mile trap speed of well over 110mph, which is close to the E50 M5 6MT level - I haven't seen any figures for the regular 300hp Q50 3.0T. I'd bet that it's still faster than the TLX V6, but by how much? I'm guessing 0-60mph in 5s flat and 1/4 mile in mid 13's at 105mph or so.

For skidpad, C/D got 0.88g for the Red Sport sedan. That's not really high, especially considering it's wearing Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX 050 DSST CTT 245/265 tires with 19" rims. These are classified as max performance tires by Tirerack with 260 treadwear.

The TLX right now is at 0.83g or something, but that's with the small 18" rims on crappy and narrow 225 Goodyear tires on stock suspension. The A-spec has sportier suspension with wider and gripper 245 Michelin MXM4 tires with on 19" rims. The smaller sidewall is gonna help a bit too.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

it's MSRP is within $500 of a Infiniti Q50S 3.0T AWD. The Infiniti lays down some CRAZY performance times
That Q50S you refer to has 300HP and 295lbs-ft, just fine but crazy? It is probably the same as the previous NA 3.7, within a tick or two. Mid 5s on 0-60mph. Obviously if you want acceleration, the Acura is never going to win.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
The TLX V6's marginally lesser acceleration prowess is totally acceptable when in consideration of its superior fuel economy vs the Q50.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
That Q50S you refer to has 300HP and 295lbs-ft, just fine but crazy? It is probably the same as the previous NA 3.7, within a tick or two. Mid 5s on 0-60mph. Obviously if you want acceleration, the Acura is never going to win.
No, the silver sport is very underrated in terms of numbers it's putting out over 300 HP to the wheels. Several Silver Sport owners have run 4.87 0 to 60 times. You're very wrong. The new 3.0 Turbo non RS is much faster than the NA 3.7.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kense
No, the silver sport is very underrated in terms of numbers it's putting out over 300 HP to the wheels. Several Silver Sport owners have run 4.87 0 to 60 times. You're very wrong. The new 3.0 Turbo non RS is much faster than the NA 3.7.
Yeah I know. I am always very wrong.

*I don't think so, whatever the magical thinking of some kids*.

Bring me reputed 5-60 and we'll talk.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
The TLX V6's marginally lesser acceleration prowess is totally acceptable when in consideration of its superior fuel economy vs the Q50.
That is the lamest thing I've ever read on a car enthusiast forum haha. The 300hp Q50 makes 295lb/ft of torque at 1600rpm right up to 5200rpm the numbers aren't "marginally" different.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

That is the lamest thing I've ever read on a car enthusiast forum haha. The 300hp Q50 makes 295lb/ft of torque at 1600rpm right up to 5200rpm the numbers aren't "marginally" different.
i know right, even the forums are in decline just like Acura. People blindly defend the car...or maybe they are sales men trying to make a buck.

They can frame how great this car is but we know the truth. Numbers speak for themselves, sales have been in decline every year. It's as simple as that, people don't want a car with problems that can be fixed but Acura is playing games.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ considering your incessant bitching about the TLX that you own, you have a problem with owners having a positive opinion about their car in a subforum on a Acura enthusiast website?

You make a hint that they are salesmen, how about others hinting that's you're just a troll? See how that works? Making broad general and sweeping comments about others accomplishes nothing. F23A4 has objectively laid out his gripes about the TLX in previous posts in this subforum and he hardly is a member that you refer to that blindly defends his car.

Here's a thought. Either figure out a way to respectfully convey your opinions when posting or you'll be earning yourself an involuntary vacation from this site. This isn't the first time I've read your posts alleging similar ideas.
The following 7 users liked this post by ggesq:
a35tl (04-29-2017), Acura_Dude (04-29-2017), F23A4 (04-29-2017), iforyou (05-01-2017), MTD (04-29-2017), steve_97060 (04-29-2017), wlkeel (04-29-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)