So it has been a week since the reveal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
So it has been a week since the reveal...

...and I have to admit the car has grown on me.
I have been watching videos and reading articles from various writers that saw the car in person and it seems like the consensus is that Acura "finally got it right" or that Acura is "heading in the right direction"
Yes, I know that most people here are car enthusiasts, and for such; power and speed is at the top of the list of requirements, yet I did not find a review that will list this as a complete failure or as a possible turn off for
the aimed demographic by not having a big increase in HP or by not introducing a new more powerful engine. To me, the added standard safety features, the leather, the exhaust, the suspension and the rims complete a package that lacked not only excitement but also visual pleasure. And this brings me to the polarizing diamond grill. It's big. Yes. The logo is in your face. Yes. It looks weird when viewed from the front. Yes....BUT..when I spent some time looking at other cars from the same NY car show, I saw that most manufacturers are aiming to have big grills and big logos. Hyundai, Nissan...of course Lexus. Some of their concept cars had huge grills. The Acura concept grill looks much better than some of the above mentioned.
The grill does look nicer...at least for me:

I mentioned in a previous post that I am currently driving a 3G with 235k miles and to me she still drives like the first day. I have been looking and waiting for a car that will bring me that Feeling or at least come close to what driving the 3G
The following users liked this post:
nore03 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Advanced

...sorry. I hit submit by mistake.

I just wanted to end the post by saying that I think nothing will probably drive and feel as my old 3G, but the new A SPec just does all the tricks that I look for in a car...since HP is not my top request as opposed to safety, interior, etc.

Anyways, just wanted to hear how other people feel a week after the reveal especially now that more pictures and reviews are out.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sloppy305:
cobra611 (05-03-2017), julius071 (04-20-2017), mapleloaf (04-20-2017), steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I am so excited to see it in person! I think this will win over a lot of new people to Acura for sure! Yes unfortunalty no powertrain upgrades, but visual looks are greatly improved
steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
maybe its because im poor.
but wtf, i wouldnt want to buy a car on looks alone! sure, styling is important, but if not any better powertrain wise...seems like you could just save a lot of money by just purchasing the old tlx....and then adding on those "sport" bits

Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
The blue A-Spec looks absolutely fantastic. I would drive that in a heartbeat. Acura did great with this MMC IMO.
steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy305

I just wanted to end the post by saying that I think nothing will probably drive and feel as my old 3G, but the new A SPec just does all the tricks that I look for in a car...since HP is not my top request as opposed to safety, interior, etc.

Anyways, just wanted to hear how other people feel a week after the reveal especially now that more pictures and reviews are out.
how is looks is subjective, the failure in this car isn't the horse power. The biggest problem with this car is the transmission. Acura knows it has this problem and still doesn't fix it.

I dojt care if the car has 500HP, with that 9Speed ZF forget it.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackTLXadvance:
justnspace (04-19-2017), quantum7 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM

if i were buying this brand new, I would at least wait for the type-s that is supposedly coming.
they probably tweaked powertrain with better tranny.. HOPEFULLY

the MMC looks great! but why buy when there are still things wrong with it, drive ability wise..
Again, maybe its cuz im poor and not ballin like you guise!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
but wtf, i wouldnt want to buy a car on looks alone! sure, styling is important, but if not any better powertrain wise...seems like you could just save a lot of money by just purchasing the old tlx....and then adding on those "sport" bits

When I was younger, I looked forward to saving money and ordering aftermarket parts to install on my then Honda Prelude.Shoot! If I could install them myself it meant even more joy!
Not anymore.
That phase of my life is over. All that went out the window especially being a family man now.
While I respect your idea of buying a 15-17 TLX and then buy parts to make it look sportier, I would never do that now. Also, I don't think it's cheaper this way either. The features Acura made standard for the Aspec cost a lot of money with other European manufacturers...and reliability become
an issue.

I think Acura put out a good looking model that is also sporty right out of the factory. Just drive it home and that's it. I'm a 35 year old father. I think I fall right into the demographic that Acura is aiming for.
A Good looking car that will be reliable and has enough luxury and safety features that I could drive my baby around and also take it out on a date with the wifey. The A spec does it for me. HP is not a priority right now...maybe it will be when I hit my midlife crisis and kick my children out of the house and then it's daddy cruising the beach with the top down time
😊
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackTLXadvance
how is looks is subjective, the failure in this car isn't the horse power. The biggest problem with this car is the transmission. Acura knows it has this problem and still doesn't fix it.

I dojt care if the car has 500HP, with that 9Speed ZF forget it.
I agree with you 100%, transmission is the key.
I remember all the transmission problems I had with my 2nd Generation TL and I start twitching immediately.

I have to read more posts about it, but didn't most of the issues with the transmission get addressed with the 2016, 2017 models? I know I saw SOME posts saying that the later models had fixed the shifting issues that most drivers found as major flaw.

Again, I have to research more but I thought the concensus was that newer models had better shifting.
One can only assume that the 2018 model had these issues taken care of as well. If the 2018 model has the same issues as the 2015 then this reveal will be nothing short of a complete failure.
"Lipstick on a pig"
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM

I think Acura put out a good looking model that is also sporty right out of the factory. Just drive it home and that's it. I'm a 35 year old father. I think I fall right into the demographic that Acura is aiming for.
A Good looking car that will be reliable and has enough luxury and safety features that I could drive my baby around and also take it out on a date with the wifey. The A spec does it for me. HP is not a priority right now...maybe it will be when I hit my midlife crisis and kick my children out of the house and then it's daddy cruising the beach with the top down time
��
thats probably because you can afford it.

I will take my 2nd hand(or 20th hand) porcshe
Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

I remember all the transmission problems I had with my 2nd Generation TL and I start twitching immediately.

I have to read more posts about it, but didn't most of the issues with the transmission get addressed with the 2016, 2017 models? I know I saw SOME posts saying that the later models had fixed the shifting issues that most drivers found as major flaw.

Again, I have to research more but I thought the concensus was that newer models had better shifting.
One can only assume that the 2018 model had these issues taken care of as well. If the 2018 model has the same issues as the 2015 then this reveal will be nothing short of a complete failure.
"Lipstick on a pig"
"Fixed", it isn't "fixed". It still jerks and hesitates, it's the nature of the dog clutch. If I knew Acura has gone down the tubes I would have never gotten this car. Acura has really lost my trust with this car. This is coming from a Acura owner who bought this car without hesitation because I knew Acura is known for reliability. Not anymore, they have gone way way down.

They cant even fix their own mistakes. To me this new reveal is just to cover and mask their mistake that is the TLX. Looks wise what other Acura has gone this drastic with the looks? Well none, they have to because the TLX isn't selling as good.
quantum7 (04-19-2017), Rocket_man (04-23-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
thats probably because you can afford it.

I will take my 2nd hand(or 20th hand) porcshe
I didn't buy the TLX as a sports car. If I were looking for a performance car I wouldn't be visiting the Acura lot - my first stop would be Porsche - looking for a nice used Porsche Caymen in the 35 to 40k range. I bought the TLX because it's quiet, rides nice, is well appointed, has Honda reliability genes and is, IMO, a good value. Plus I like the way it looks.
The following 6 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
acuranj18 (05-01-2017), CPR (04-19-2017), F23A4 (04-20-2017), mapleloaf (04-20-2017), ostrich (04-20-2017), wlkeel (04-19-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
More to the point:

1) I think the refresh looks better from the back - no question. It's sportier.
2) I think the new grill/Badge will have to grow on me - as it stands I like it but will need to see it live.
3) As someone who has a paid-for 2015 model I wouldn't spend the money for the MMC. That said - I'm happy with my car and wouldn't spend the money for any car out there now.
4) I do like the new A-Spec seats.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I still need to see it in person to pass final judgement, so far I'm not a fan. Looking at my TLX this morning and picturing the refresh in my head, I still think mine looks better. Of course there's some bias....
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

Yea, the front end has grown on me also. I think it depends on the angle now. I have to say overall, at least with the A-spec trim, the TLX looks a lot sportier than before. It might not drive like a proper luxury sports sedan, but it looks the part now.

And given the price point, and with the V6, it can trap 100+mph, I think that's more than enough for family hauling. With that said, it's always nice to have a choice for more power.

When I was younger, I looked forward to saving money and ordering aftermarket parts to install on my then Honda Prelude.Shoot! If I could install them myself it meant even more joy!
Not anymore.
That phase of my life is over. All that went out the window especially being a family man now.
While I respect your idea of buying a 15-17 TLX and then buy parts to make it look sportier, I would never do that now. Also, I don't think it's cheaper this way either. The features Acura made standard for the Aspec cost a lot of money with other European manufacturers...and reliability become
an issue.

😊
Yea, to be fair, Acura did more than just making appearance changes to the TLX. It's a shame there's no powertrain changes, and the ZF9AT is still there. But, the interior changes are noticeable too. It seems like Acura listened, and given people Apple car play, android auto, a faster infotainment setup, nicer graphics for the screens, new sportier looking/feeling interior. I think these were some of the most wanted changes for the TLX.

"Lipstick on a pig"
I had a 2G TL-S and I feel like the 2G TL tranny problem was a bigger concern. Mine finally broke after 200000km. It was more of a safety concern, in a sense that, people reported the tranny could lock up while you are driving at 60mph on the hwy. Whereas the 9AT, it seems like it's more of a driveability issue. Does it lock up and cause accident like the 2G TL tranny?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

"Fixed", it isn't "fixed". It still jerks and hesitates, it's the nature of the dog clutch. If I knew Acura has gone down the tubes I would have never gotten this car. Acura has really lost my trust with this car. This is coming from a Acura owner who bought this car without hesitation because I knew Acura is known for reliability. Not anymore, they have gone way way down.

They cant even fix their own mistakes. To me this new reveal is just to cover and mask their mistake that is the TLX. Looks wise what other Acura has gone this drastic with the looks? Well none, they have to because the TLX isn't selling as good.
These definitely are on the lots for a while at this point. The refresh should help. No wonder they are discounting the 2017s so much.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I think the Precision Grille has room for improvement. Keep in mind, we have only see two products where they tacked on the new grille on a current gen product, so we won't know for sure how things may look when Acura has the chance to design the entire vehicle based on the new grille. The upcoming RDX will be the first time we'll see if Acura can do it right. I'll admit, I still prefer the beak on my 2016, but the 2018 TLX is a step in the right direction. Personally, if the designers made the grille a bit smaller and the headlamps a bit bigger, I think it would look better.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I can't believe that people are still whining over the transmission - that was so 2015.

The ZF9 2016+ is perfectly fine and behaves very close to a ZF8. It is buttersmooth, gear changes are crisp.
The following 3 users liked this post by Saintor:
Nexx (04-25-2017), nore03 (04-19-2017), steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
This post started out really positive then took a turn for the worst.... I went from a 15 to a 16. I think the transmission is 1000 times better. It's not really as bad as everyone is making it seem. I was disappointed in a few features that the 15-17 TLX was lacking but I like the 18 and think it is loaded with everything I wish my 16 had. I get the complaint about wanting more power. I don't think the TLX needs more power to be great, I just think the option for more power is the only issue now. I had my mind set on getting a Lexus or Audi as my next car later this year but now seeing the 18, I think I may end up with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by nore03:
a35tl (04-19-2017), steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Grille looks good on certain angles but terrible from the front, imo
Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
I was able to go to the NY Auto Show a few days ago, and see the new TLX's in person- and found the "live" versions so much better looking than all the online pics and videos I've seen. They had 3 TLX's there: a red one (in Advance trim) and 2 A-Specs (one in white with red leather; one in blue with black leather/alcantara seats). The updated infotainment system (as compared to my current TLX) was also impressive. I had brought along a lightning cable, and plugged my IPhone in to activate the Car Play- and it immediately gave purpose to the Acura 2-screen concept... the Car Play on top was quick and intuitive, and the bottom touchscreen controlled all the car functions with a much nicer looking/quicker and better controlled touchscreen. For those people against the 2-screen concept, it was interesting to note that some other car manufacturers are now moving towards that (Range Rover introduced 2-screen setups in their new models there).
I was very disappointed that Acura didn't staff the booth with engineers or designers who could answer in-depth questions- they only had contracted "models" who had a script to follow- and I found that I was telling them more about the car than they could tell me. They won't release pricing or actual specifics (until sometime in May) about what exactly the Tech, A-Spec, or Advance packages will include beyond the few things they've already announced (like rear heated seats; heated steering wheel; folding mirrors), as they may "drop" some things that were already in the 2015-2017 packages. So, it's hard to judge value, or compare it to the outgoing 2017 trim levels.
Since my 2015 lease is up this August, I'm debating the merits of getting a 2018 versus getting a fully loaded 2017 Advance (since I'm sure they will be severely discounting the 2017's to make way for the new models).
The following 2 users liked this post by NJToyMan:
mapleloaf (04-20-2017), steve_97060 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
This post started out really positive then took a turn for the worst.... I went from a 15 to a 16. I think the transmission is 1000 times better. It's not really as bad as everyone is making it seem. I was disappointed in a few features that the 15-17 TLX was lacking but I like the 18 and think it is loaded with everything I wish my 16 had. I get the complaint about wanting more power. I don't think the TLX needs more power to be great, I just think the option for more power is the only issue now. I had my mind set on getting a Lexus or Audi as my next car later this year but now seeing the 18, I think I may end up with it.
I agree. I thought it would be worst. From what I see on the MMC mdx, it's even better now.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

"Lipstick on a pig"
Two things. The 16 and 17 3.5 9 speeds absolutely shifts better. I had a 2015 3.5 with the 9 speed and have driven both a 16 and 17 nine speed for comparison. The negative folks seem unable to grasp this, generally because they haven't driven one - and in some cases have never actually owned a TLX. I also believe that it has jaundiced their view of the MMC, but that's just my opinion. My second point is that the power hungry folks seem to forget this car also has a 2.4 with a very nice 8 DCT, which is what I currently drive. As I have suggested to many, less concern of these opinions and more test driving to form your own opinion, based on what is important to you, is the way to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Mark Pettygrove (04-24-2017), steve_97060 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Two things. The 16 and 17 3.5 9 speeds absolutely shifts better. I had a 2015 3.5 with the 9 speed and have driven both a 16 and 17 nine speed for comparison. The negative folks seem unable to grasp this, generally because they haven't driven one - and in some cases have never actually owned a TLX. I also believe that it has jaundiced their view of the MMC, but that's just my opinion. My second point is that the power hungry folks seem to forget this car also has a 2.4 with a very nice 8 DCT, which is what I currently drive. As I have suggested to many, less concern of these opinions and more test driving to form your own opinion, based on what is important to you, is the way to go.
I had a 2015 TLX Advance and regret buying it. Besides software updates how is the transmission built different. Last time I checked its built exactly the same. Slow shifting from Reverse to Drive, not a deal break but it is slow.

Me when you push the gas pedal it takes almost a full second or sometimes over to shift down. I test drove the 2016 and it behaves exactly the same as my 2015. It's the nature of the transmission and how it's built that's bad. No software update is going to fix the dog clutch to make it faster shifting.

...and the 8 Speed is fine but the power is low compared to the V6. Shifts are quick but you don't feel the push back when you floor it. If they change that transmission to their NSX 9 Speed then it will make it so much better. Until then I'm happy trading it in for a Lexus.

Better reliability
quantum7 (04-21-2017), Rocket_man (04-23-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Me when you push the gas pedal it takes almost a full second or sometimes over to shift down. I test drove the 2016 and it behaves exactly the same as my 2015. It's the nature of the transmission and how it's built that's bad. No software update is going to fix the dog clutch to make it faster shifting.
Disagree.

I hear you about the lags, can be infuriating, but it is mostly (not all) the throttle response at fault. It is common for most carmakers including BMW. I spent $350 on my BMW for a module to improve this. However put the ZF9 in SPORT+ (not regular SPORT) and those annoyances are gone.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 349 Posts
The Aspec looks good and if the ride feels a bit stiffer and planted I would like to buy one. Black with Red interior should be SICK if that's offered. It definitely is not going to blend in with other vehicles on the road. Plus I wrote on here for a couple years how Acura needed to differentiate their trim levels with more than a wheel and fog light. lol. Spend 15k more and you get a different wheel smh. By changing those panels you can't just mimic the trim levels with after market parts. They are catching up and I'm excited about the design changes to inject a punch leading into the 2020 Acura TLX.

I think Acura will answer the bell with this TLX lineup:
TLX
TLX-Aspec
TLX-Type S (900hp for the enthusiasts with a 20speed manual transmission) for the year 2020!

Might as well swing for the fences at this point.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
The Aspec looks good and if the ride feels a bit stiffer and planted I would like to buy one. Black with Red interior should be SICK if that's offered. It definitely is not going to blend in with other vehicles on the road. Plus I wrote on here for a couple years how Acura needed to differentiate their trim levels with more than a wheel and fog light. lol. Spend 15k more and you get a different wheel smh. By changing those panels you can't just mimic the trim levels with after market parts. They are catching up and I'm excited about the design changes to inject a punch leading into the 2020 Acura TLX.

I think Acura will answer the bell with this TLX lineup:
TLX
TLX-Aspec
TLX-Type S (900hp for the enthusiasts with a 20speed manual transmission) for the year 2020!

Might as well swing for the fences at this point.
My problem is, while that's great and all, the Type S will be around for one year, they'll redesign the whole thing, and then we'll have to wait another 6 or 7 years for the next one.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kurtatx
My problem is, while that's great and all, the Type S will be around for one year, they'll redesign the whole thing, and then we'll have to wait another 6 or 7 years for the next one.
I don't know why people think there is a type S on the way. There is near zero chance it will be in 2019 and minimal chance in 2020 when they bring out the next gen. Unless I am mistaken the previous type S releases were all mid model and not start of model year. I hope I am wrong. Ikeda was the one who pioneered the 3rd gen TL in 2004 and the type S didn't return till the 07/08 models. This 2018 update was surprising with the suspension updates rather than just the front and rear/exhaust changes. As for 400hp or more that is really wishful thinking. A coupe is probably more likely before you see that.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Agreed jhb31. It's unlikely that we'll see a Type S model for this generation, with the A-Spec model just now coming in the 4th model year of this generation. So, I seriously doubt that we'll see a Type S powertrain UNLESS the firm is just muling it in advance of a 2G TLX. #unlikely

In terms of this model, I went to the NY Auto Show last Saturday with the hopes that the new nose looked better in person than it photographs. It doesn't. However, the rear end in both the A-Spec and regular models did look better than photographed. Exposed exhaust tips will do that, even if the A-Spec's version reminded me of the Mazdaspeed6.

Re: red interior, I'll take a pass on that. There are nicer shades of red such as the Coral Red Dakota Leather available in the 340i. But that's neither here nor there.

All in all, the new features should help to shore up the TLX as a value alternative to the other offerings in this segment and give it a little more separation from the Honda Accord V6 Touring (it's #1 competitor IMHO).
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2017), jhb31 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
Agreed jhb31. It's unlikely that we'll see a Type S model for this generation, with the A-Spec model just now coming in the 4th model year of this generation. So, I seriously doubt that we'll see a Type S powertrain UNLESS the firm is just muling it in advance of a 2G TLX. #unlikely

In terms of this model, I went to the NY Auto Show last Saturday with the hopes that the new nose looked better in person than it photographs. It doesn't. However, the rear end in both the A-Spec and regular models did look better than photographed. Exposed exhaust tips will do that, even if the A-Spec's version reminded me of the Mazdaspeed6.

Re: red interior, I'll take a pass on that. There are nicer shades of red such as the Coral Red Dakota Leather available in the 340i. But that's neither here nor there.

All in all, the new features should help to shore up the TLX as a value alternative to the other offerings in this segment and give it a little more separation from the Honda Accord V6 Touring (it's #1 competitor IMHO).
I wanted to hit the auto show but can't make it so will have to wait till June to see it in the showroom. I agree with you on the red leather and the would think the black leather without the suede inserts but full leather would be better. I posted in another thread that I would like the espresso leather in the Aspec, its just a super sharp contrast to the white exterior. I could see other interior options on the '19 models possibly. Red for me has always been one I have stayed away from as it doesn't seem to wear well and people either love it or hate it.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-20-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: ds
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2017), F23A4 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Saintor
Disagree.

I hear you about the lags, can be infuriating, but it is mostly (not all) the throttle response at fault. It is common for most carmakers including BMW. I spent $350 on my BMW for a module to improve this. However put the ZF9 in SPORT+ (not regular SPORT) and those annoyances are gone.
its not the throttle response, it's the transmision trying to kick in. I drove other cars and this car's timing is the one of the worst. I didn't even mention the jerk right before a complete stop. It does it almost every time during a complete stop. I can't stop smooth with this damn car. Every time it does it I'm reminded about how the tranny is the bane of this car. If they could change that I think this car would be great.

...but they screwed up and it will costly too much to fix it. So instead they redesign the look so to get to try to get more people to buy it. Makes me think Acura as a whole is a complete joke.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

its not the throttle response, it's the transmision trying to kick in.
No, it is not.

Specs of gear changes are under 200ms, which are similar to ZF8. Throttle response and programming are the culprits. Transmission is fine as is.

Last edited by Saintor; 04-21-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The actual gear switch may be very fast, but to get to the right gear...almost takes the hand of God.
I'm really curious to see if they touched the throttle response for the Aspec, may be a game changer if less lazy.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The transmission in normal mode is tuned for fuel economy. What I usually do is tap the down shift paddle twice before I need to accel. I mean it has 9 gears and its going to try and use the higher more efficient gear. In sport or sport+ its great.

I also never get a jerk while stopping.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
whatever it is...it is frustrating! You do not have to OWN a TLX to have an informed opinion on how it drives. I have taken each year out on extensive drives to replicate my commute and find the lag to be a deal breaker for me....only me. I need a car that accelerates immediately without a delay that may get me T-boned. My commute is on a crazy highway in CT where merging is required to be immediate.

Fix the lag....I buy a TLX. I don't want to experiment with after market parts that void warranty and may or may not fix the problem. As long as my 3G is still plugging along (240,000 miles), I can wait for Acura to get the thrill back.

btw, I actually like the direction that Acura is taking with the TLX. Not a huge fan of the new grill....needs to be toned down a bit and integrated with the lights and body, but seems like they are trying to return to their roots and bring back a little sport to the cars. Really looking forward to what the ASpec turns into with the new model year (2020?).

Last edited by quantum7; 04-22-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Rocket_man (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7

Fix the lag....I buy a TLX. I don't want to experiment with after market parts that void warranty and may or may not fix the problem. As long as my 3G is still plugging along (240,000 miles), I can wait for Acura to get the thrill back.
Good point. The throttle thingy is a placebo band aid. All it does is push most of the throttle response up into the early part of the throttle movement. It takes less pedal to get launched but creates no more power than a car without one having its throttle pressed further down for the same result.

When I was running the 335is the JB4 tuner had software that allowed me to adjust throttle tip in & travel curve. I would actually dial out some of the bottom end to give me more control of the tires breakaway point on launch. Did not alter the power just how it was delivered. The COBRA has a similar setup built into its ECU.

Think the early transmissions had two problems poor programming & the dog clutch issue. I expect the programming has been improved based on the comments here but the dog clutch is mechanical & needs more than what they are willing ti invest in what was supposed to be just an interim transmission.

They are maybe screwed by their own sales estimates & have contracted for too many transmissions. Sales are slow so the calendar is chunking away going from model year to model year till they fill out their quota or else bite the bullet & buy out the contract.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-22-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Good point. The throttle thingy is a placebo band aid. All it does is push most of the throttle response up into the early part of the throttle movement. It takes less pedal to get launched but creates no more power than a car without one having its throttle pressed further down for the same result.

When I was running the 335is the JB4 tuner had software that allowed me to adjust throttle tip in & travel curve. I would actually dial out some of the bottom end to give me more control of the tires breakaway point on launch. Did not alter the power just how it was delivered. The COBRA has a similar setup built into its ECU.

Think the early transmissions had two problems poor programming & the dog clutch issue. I expect the programming has been improved based on the comments here but the dog clutch is mechanical & needs more than what they are willing ti invest in what was supposed to be just an interim transmission.

They are maybe screwed by their own sales estimates & have contracted for too many transmissions. Sales are slow so the calendar is chunking away going from model year to model year till they fill out their quota or else bite the bullet & buy out the contract.

Going from 2-3 is a pain sometimes. Makes my head jerk back a little. When I'm coming to a stop from say the off ramp on the freeway to red light I get two jerks sometimes. When it's downshifting and right before I coke to a complete stop.

Took it back to Acura serveral times and they said all the Acuras do this and it's "normal" for this vehicle. I know they are just saying that so they don't have to fix the damn car. Stop Dogclutch

Last edited by BlackTLXadvance; 04-22-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Rocket_man (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I must admit, I gotta give Acura some love for their recent efforts with the TLX. No, it didn't check everything on the list, but realistically, I don't think it ever could have anyway, just due to economics. Acura did address a number of complaints though, which is very nice to see.

I think this just sets up the 2G TLX to be even better and even more of what the enthusiasts want. My only concern is the future styling, which has been a struggle for Acura over the last number of years. If they can release a design that is well received by the majority of the general public, they will have another home run sedan.
a35tl (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think a big step on improvement is to build an AT without dog clutches. They are simple, efficient, take up little space in the case but shifting them is the same as shifting a manual gearbox without syncros. The shift has to be super precise every time. This IIRC is harder to going down do than up like kicking down to pass.

Back in ancient muscle car history you could build a cheater gear box by removing every other tooth in these assemblies. If you were quick with your shifting you could run the 1/4 mile using the clutch only to launch & the pedal to the floor al the way through the run.

In a lot of ways the 9AT is attempting to do just this without the advantage of synchromesh rings in the box..

One thing they may have gotten right with the box is if they are running similar ratios to Volvo it should be among the very best at transferring engine power to the wheels.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-22-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
What is enhanced sound in A-spec? I hope there is option to turn it off if one wants to.