So the Consumer Reports for the TLX is finally in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
The TLX Jewel Eye headlights do not provide much in terms of forward visibility!? Oh my goodness, did they drive the same car that I actually own!? Unbelievable...
My wife has a 15 TLX Tech & I think the headlights suck. Most of the Acuras we've had had absolutely awful headlights. The 10 TSX was probably the worst & the 02 TL Type S was probably the best. IMHO.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry if this has already been discussed but just got the latest CR and it makes it sound like Acura is the worst car ever made?!?!? The 2012 TL that we bought in 2011 is the pretty much one of the best cars we ever had and at the time was one of the most highly rated. So what went south?

Doug
Old 12-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Sorry if this has already been discussed but just got the latest CR and it makes it sound like Acura is the worst car ever made?!?!? The 2012 TL that we bought in 2011 is the pretty much one of the best cars we ever had and at the time was one of the most highly rated. So what went south?

Doug
Most people who have written posts, that I've read, who have "upgraded" from a TL to a TLX are impressed with the TLX overall and are happy with their new car. Some people that previously had the TSX prefer the 2.4 TLX because it feels more like their old car with the lighter engine.

Some people did have problems with their transmissions, particularly among people who bought the 2015 TLX. Some of those people feel burned by Acura and remain upset, and vocal about their displeasure. I am new to Acura with my 2018 TLX purchase. I've had it for a little less than a month so far and I am happy with both the car, and how Acura has treated me. I was going to buy a Honda, but the experience of shopping for a Honda became unpleasant, probably because of my local Honda dealer(s), so I moved on (and up) to Acura and I'm happy to have had the experience of purchasing an Acura and being an Acura owner thus far.

People who I have seen write about their experience coming from the TL to the TLX seem to feel that it is both more comfortable and better handling, better performance, an all-around superior car owing in part to new modern features and improvements to the infotainment system/head unit (faster + added Android Auto / Apple Car Play).
Old 12-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Jump to 11:40

Click here -> Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #54: Dodge Challenger vs. Ford Mustang - YouTube

They don't like the push button gear selector.
They don't like the 9 speed trans
They don't like the start/stop feature
They claim the Ford Fusion is a better riding car, better driving car and a quieter car.
"It's an okay car"
I'd say they're not a fan
CS reviews are not founded in 90% when we talk about cars...
It is all lobby, sponsorships they receive and of course biased reviews they write on behalf of manufacturers... person recommending ford fusion over any japanese car is beyond belief... fusion that value goes to shitter after 1-2 years of sales tells the story... how are sales, how long are cars on the road, etc... it is not important what they feel at that moment, but more importantly for how long does it act that way...

My RL that I bought 5yr old, and still drive beats ANY FORD in that class comfortability wise... not going to waste any more time on CS idiotic reviews... not worth it...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Off topic. This 2018 Boxster followed one of my kids home this morning. Sport Exhaust switched open is outstanding. Guess its a keeper. Nice Turbo 4

Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
wait-what?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
CR has a reliability problem with small sample sizes among Tesla, TLX, Jaguar and etc. Data get wobbly, partly b/c the methodology calls for "weighting" each individual owner as far more than 1. So one guy says my Tesla is perfect and that response is heavily weighted. Remember when they ranked Tesla 110% and they quickly withdrew it? There aren't a lot of TLXs out there and the same unstable data problem presents again.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
CR has a reliability problem with small sample sizes among Tesla, TLX, Jaguar and etc. Data get wobbly, partly b/c the methodology calls for "weighting" each individual owner as far more than 1. So one guy says my Tesla is perfect and that response is heavily weighted. Remember when they ranked Tesla 110% and they quickly withdrew it? There aren't a lot of TLXs out there and the same unstable data problem presents again.
Acura sales around 2-3k TLXs per month, compared to Tesla should be more than enough for sample size. Same size as Audi's honestly.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 01-01-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocktman1
My wife has a 15 TLX Tech & I think the headlights suck. Most of the Acuras we've had had absolutely awful headlights. The 10 TSX was probably the worst & the 02 TL Type S was probably the best. IMHO.
I guess it's all about what you are used to. My 2012 TSX had the HID lights and I thought they were excellent. However, I feel my 16 TLX headlights are even brighter. I frequently drive our perimeter highway around the city at night and love the LEDs. The brights are great but I find plenty of light with the regular headlights. I also drive our 14 Altima a lot and there is just no comparison in terms of illumination.
I also take comfort in knowing the LEDS are not blinding the oncoming driver as some of the brighter halogen headlights tend to do.