Should I buy a brand new 2016 TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Should I buy a brand new 2016 TLX?

Quite a few brand new 16's still available or should I pay a bit more for a 17?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
If you can get a crazy deal on the 16, I would go for it. 17s do not have anything new over the 16s.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Your down a year & a half depreciation. Make sure you check used car prices then hammer the dealer for the best price. He is paying interest on the car every month it sits there so its in his interest in moving it.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. Any issues with transmission as I initially read about 2 years ago on this forum?

Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcocoon
Thanks for the feedback. Any issues with transmission as I initially read about 2 years ago on this forum?
i still get jerks which the dealerships has stated it's normal for this car. 2-3 you can still feel a jerk. Jerks a little bit right before a complete stop. Laggy throttle which I"m pretty sure it's the transmission trying to downshift due to the dogclutch. Whatever it is it's laggy, don't expect to launch until 1 second after you floor it.

Everything else about bout the car is fine, it's very quiet. Engine power is pretty good you can reach 100mph easily, the transmission messes everything up for me. To compare I use to own a 2007 TSX with 5 gears and I wish I had that back. That's how bad the 9ZF is. If lag or annoying jerk doesn't bother you I'd say get the car. It's good value.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

I just wanted to add something else, this car has had three safety recalls since I got it in 2014. I'm one of the dumb early adopters.

One was for a weight sticker label being wrong about the weight. Not really a big deal for me. Guess what the other two recalls were? You guessed it the transmission. It weren't even hard fixes, they were software changes, one recall was for a hardware issue and they just updated the software to fix it. I don't know a lot of transmissions but it's a hardware issue shouldn't you change it out?

What's a software update going to go, it can still break inside the transmission.

My my biggest issue is what other problems are there with the ZF9 they have not found out yet? If it still lags and jerks there must still be a problem they can't fix I'm just waiting for my warranty to run out and they won't cover me when it breaks down.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

...and another thing, don't get the Aero Kit body kit or the GT kit they call it now. I've had it replace three times at different dealerships and each one has said it falls off because of the mechanic out it on poorly.

The kit used 3M pieces to stick onto the car. Think of those 3M things you use to stick your picture frames onto the wall of your house. Looks exactly the same.

Its fine if its inside but but the weather will wear it out and it will fall off. Just a matter of time, with only 12,000 mile warranty on it it will wear out after that 12,000 miles and you won't be covered.

Its a design flaw they wont address as well. I've spoken with Acura Client relations and they will not fix it.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
The transmission has supposedly been fixed. But there are inherent issues with the design of the transmission that no amount of software changes will cure. It may no longer lurch or clunk between shifts, but due to the design (a.k.a trying to stuff 9 gears into a smaller than 6 speed gear box) they had to make compromises like using dog clutches which are very slow and inherently laggy in nature. So you may not have issues if you drive slowly, but if you are looking for a very connected or sharp shifting transmission, you're looking in the wrong place.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I own a 2017 SH-AWD Advance with 600 miles on it. One difference between the 16 vs 17 besides the depreciation is the small impact safety score on the IIHS small overlap front crash test. The 2016 scored a marginal in this test, vs the 2017 which scores an acceptable. So there is that as well.

I have the 9sp ZF and I've not felt anything with it that would be described as bothersome or disturbing at all. Its a little different than my Ford Fusion's six speed, but I'm VERY happy.... so far!!!

Got a $9.300 discount on the car not counting getting the $600 dealer pack knocked off, still ended up with the mud flaps and "paint protection" ha!
Old 04-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33
I own a 2017 SH-AWD Advance with 600 miles on it. One difference between the 16 vs 17 besides the depreciation is the small impact safety score on the IIHS small overlap front crash test. The 2016 scored a marginal in this test, vs the 2017 which scores an acceptable. So there is that as well.

I have the 9sp ZF and I've not felt anything with it that would be described as bothersome or disturbing at all. Its a little different than my Ford Fusion's six speed, but I'm VERY happy.... so far!!!

Got a $9.300 discount on the car not counting getting the $600 dealer pack knocked off, still ended up with the mud flaps and "paint protection" ha!
600 miles is just breaking it in. I take it you haven't pushed it a little yet have you, if you did you're not suspose to. Once you push it you will see what we are taking about. I have almost 50,000 and I didn't feel anything either during the break in period. It creeps up on you. I'm not even talking about pushing it hard, maybe 4000RPM

$9300 is pretty damn good discount but I'm afraid there's a reason for that. I hope you didn't get the GT kit by the way, there will be problems later down.

All in all good job on the discount.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

That's why I said "so far". And to be frank I doubt that I'll ever really push it. My boy racer days are behind me I think. Trying to set a better example for my 15 year old who is inheriting my former car, the 2011 Ford Fusion Sport. However I think the early builds were the tricky ones I hope!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
My '16 V6 FWD has 14.5k on the clock and runs as good as the day I picked it up.

Also, Bear's advice is sound. :thumbs up:
Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Just purchased. Advertised Internet price $34341. Sticker Price on the vehicle was over $35k. Ended up getting it for $27807. In bay area after sales tax of 9 percent and dmv fee $31k cash out the door. V6 base. White on black.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTLXadvance
...and another thing, don't get the Aero Kit body kit or the GT kit they call it now. I've had it replace three times at different dealerships and each one has said it falls off because of the mechanic out it on poorly.

The kit used 3M pieces to stick onto the car. Think of those 3M things you use to stick your picture frames onto the wall of your house. Looks exactly the same.

Its fine if its inside but but the weather will wear it out and it will fall off. Just a matter of time, with only 12,000 mile warranty on it it will wear out after that 12,000 miles and you won't be covered.

Its a design flaw they wont address as well. I've spoken with Acura Client relations and they will not fix it.
The aero kit if installed when you purchase the car is covered for 4yrs under the factory warranty. If you get it later then its 12 months. Same for other add ons. I opted to not get it when buying new as I had read too many issues with it so warranty or not it was not worth it. It is good though if you do opt for options to get them at time of purchase to get the 4yr warranty.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-23-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhb31
The aero kit if installed when you purchase the car is covered for 4yrs under the factory warranty. If you get it later then its 12 months. Same for other add ons. I opted to not get it when buying new as I had read too many issues with it so warranty or not it was not worth it. It is good though if you do opt for options to get them at time of purchase to get the 4yr warranty.
That's weird, Acura Client Relations told me I only had 12,000 mile warranty on it. I bought at the dealership with the car. Why would they tell me this?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
i still get jerks which the dealerships has stated it's normal for this car. 2-3 you can still feel a jerk. Jerks a little bit right before a complete stop. Laggy throttle which I"m pretty sure it's the transmission trying to downshift due to the dogclutch. Whatever it is it's laggy, don't expect to launch until 1 second after you floor it.

Everything else about bout the car is fine, it's very quiet. Engine power is pretty good you can reach 100mph easily, the transmission messes everything up for me. To compare I use to own a 2007 TSX with 5 gears and I wish I had that back. That's how bad the 9ZF is. If lag or annoying jerk doesn't bother you I'd say get the car. It's good value.
You should disclaim that you have a 2015 and no idea how the 2016- behave. The OP asks for opinion on 2016-2017, not 2015. In Sport+ there is no significant lag to talk of.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:13 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Dealers must have some great incentives from Acura to blow out their inventories. Got this offer today in the Bay Area, northern California:

2017 Acura TLX V6 w/Technology Package (A9) 4dr SH-AWD Sedan

MSRP: $42,650
INVOICE: $40,784.41

OUR PRICE: $33,099
Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

For my region there seems to be around $6,500 in dealer incentives. I got a total of $9,300'off of an sw-awd advance 2017.
Try as I might I can't feel any issues with the 9'speed. Is it different from my Fusion's six speed, yes? But zero issues with it.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Saintor
You should disclaim that you have a 2015 and no idea how the 2016- behave. The OP asks for opinion on 2016-2017, not 2015. In Sport+ there is no significant lag to talk of.
Test drove the others, same thing. 2-3 is still a dog clutch. From 2015-2017 the only difference is the software updates...and mine is updated, everything else is made exactly the same including the transmission. It's still a dogclutch, no amount of software updates is going to change that. . . Everything else I said still applies including the paste on kit.

OP should go to dealership put it in sport+ and experience the lag for him self. Shift 1-2 then 2-3 and feel the jerkiness. You defending a car with problems with the transmission isn't helping him at all. You should know better, if I didn't know better I would think you're an Acura salesman defending your product. Shame on you if that's the case.

So you're saying in every other mode there's lag? That's still pretty lame, in Sport+ it uses only 6 gears or you can drive in "Manuel" and there's still a jerk from 2-3. If the OP drives it he should know it's there, and yes there's a lag. Maybe you don't feel it but I can assure you I feel it and I drove a lot of cars.

If if he wants quick response get the underpowered V4 with the 8Speed Duel Clutch. Way more fun just under powered. Downgrading would be upgrading with this car.

Last edited by BlackTLXadvance; 04-24-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Well, just saying in driving my 2017 I can't even tell it's shifting most of the time. NO lag, NO delays, NO jerkiness. Seriously I never notice the transmission. I just LOVE the overall driving experience, the quality, the handling with the SH-AWD on our mountains.

My only complaint? Auto stop should default to OFF and brake hold should default to ON.

Heck, compared to my 2011 Fusion Sport it's a class act and I'm loving the infotainment system!
The following 2 users liked this post by mmcdaniel33:
a35tl (04-24-2017), Saintor (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33
Well, just saying in driving my 2017 I can't even tell it's shifting most of the time. NO lag, NO delays, NO jerkiness. Seriously I never notice the transmission. I just LOVE the overall driving experience, the quality, the handling with the SH-AWD on our mountains.

My only complaint? Auto stop should default to OFF and brake hold should default to ON.

Heck, compared to my 2011 Fusion Sport it's a class act and I'm loving the infotainment system!
wait, that can't be true, just give it a little more time and you will learn to hate it too...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve_97060
wait, that can't be true, just give it a little more time and you will learn to hate it too...
I really hope it doesn't bother him as much as us but that's what I'm trying to say as well. Give it more miles and see what happens, I didn't notice anything either at first and it creeped up on me. But I really hope it doesn't for you for the life of the car. As for me I'm screwed with this car.

the resale value sucks for me so it wouldn't be nice to go trade it in or something. Just waiting a little longer for Lexus to have some good deals before I make the jump.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Intermediate

In the 80's I had a Volkswagen Quantum GL5. Cool looking for it's time and a blast to drive. For for it's entire 2 year warranty period it was in the shop every month. I do know car misery. I took a hit on that one the month the warranty ended.

if my experience declines I'll share that here. But color me hopefully expectant!
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

That's weird, Acura Client Relations told me I only had 12,000 mile warranty on it. I bought at the dealership with the car. Why would they tell me this?
I dont know why they would say that. The dealer by me is very good. I had concerns on the aero kit and the sales manger told me that if i waited and got it after delivery it would only have the 12 month warranty. He said any options installed at point of sale carry the full warranty. I did get the deck lid spoiler added on and there was one spot i didnt like and went back to the service area a couple weeks later and the service manager said he would order a new one if I like but there was no rush as it had the full 4 year warranty on it as a installed at purchase option. From what I was told with no uncertaintly if its on the sales contract then its covered under the factory warranty. If you add it a week later cause you thought about it then its 12 months.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhb31
I dont know why they would say that. The dealer by me is very good. I had concerns on the aero kit and the sales manger told me that if i waited and got it after delivery it would only have the 12 month warranty. He said any options installed at point of sale carry the full warranty. I did get the deck lid spoiler added on and there was one spot i didnt like and went back to the service area a couple weeks later and the service manager said he would order a new one if I like but there was no rush as it had the full 4 year warranty on it as a installed at purchase option. From what I was told with no uncertaintly if its on the sales contract then its covered under the factory warranty. If you add it a week later cause you thought about it then its 12 months.
The policy is very cut and dry:
Accessory Limited Warranty This warranty, unless changed by American Honda in a document provided to you prior to your purchase of an accessory for your 2017 vehicle, applies to accessories distributed by American Honda and purchased from an Acura dealer in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Time and Mileage Period Accessories Installed Prior to Retail Sale: This warranty begins on the same date as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see page 9). All accessories are covered for the length of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Accessories Installed by an Acura Dealer After Retail Sale: This warranty begins on the date the accessory is installed on the vehicle. All accessories are covered for the longer of the following two periods: 1. the time remaining in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, or 2. one year. Accessories Not Installed by an Acura Dealer: This warranty begins on the date the accessory is purchased from an Acura dealer. All accessories are covered for 1 year

It would see you should be covered unless you installed them yourself. In that case its always 12 months.