AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   She finally left me stranded.... (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/she-finally-left-me-stranded-977374/)

Mr Hyde 02-21-2019 09:07 PM

She finally left me stranded....

After 4+ years, the battery finally gave out on me during the "polar vortex" was fine before and after, but swapped it out at Advance auto anyway. If anyone needs one, after a 30% coupon code, a new AGM with 760 CCA (better than stock) was only $160. I ordered it online, and picked it up at the store.

Still going strong otherwise

someguy11 02-22-2019 07:15 AM

My OEM AGM lasted just shy of 4 years before a couple stalls this winter convinced me to replace (despite my dealer load testing and saying it passed). The failure mode on these AGMs seem strange. Like, suddenly, they just reach a threshold, whether number of starts or age, where the car won't start, without a lot of notice or the typical slow/hard cranking you expect. I suspect many northern climate owners will experience stalling after year 4 or 5 from delivery, probably come the following winter.

I originally wanted the "best" and researched OPTIMA Yellowtop. I can't remember if they don't make an exact fit for the V6 or if it was just impossible to find at a store. Those are $300 and must be ordered online. I went to AutoZone for a Duralast Platinum AGM H6 exact fit instead. About $200 and they drop it in for you. 3 year warranty.

I was somewhat surprised when I went to AutoZone and found that OPTIMA and Duralast are both made by Johnson Controls according to the label on both. I was willing to pay 30% more basically for the same battery by the same manufacturer, but with spiralcell technology (more surface area) and a "superior" brand label. What really surprised me was that the Acura OEM AGM we removed also said Johnson Controls on the label. So I'm jumping to the conclusion that all AGM are basically the same and we all can probably expect about four years out of them... :annoyed:

CheeseyPoofs McNut 02-22-2019 07:53 AM

Yeah - Mine is 4.5 years old and sits in the garage most of the time as I work from home these days. I may proactively get a new battery before Spring.

justnspace 02-22-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16387082)
My OEM AGM lasted just shy of 4 years before a couple stalls this winter convinced me to replace (despite my dealer load testing and saying it passed). The failure mode on these AGMs seem strange. Like, suddenly, they just reach a threshold, whether number of starts or age, where the car won't start, without a lot of notice or the typical slow/hard cranking you expect. I suspect many northern climate owners will experience stalling after year 4 or 5 from delivery, probably come the following winter.

I originally wanted the "best" and researched OPTIMA Yellowtop. I can't remember if they don't make an exact fit for the V6 or if it was just impossible to find at a store. Those are $300 and must be ordered online. I went to AutoZone for a Duralast Platinum AGM H6 exact fit instead. About $200 and they drop it in for you. 3 year warranty.

I was somewhat surprised when I went to AutoZone and found that OPTIMA and Duralast are both made by Johnson Controls according to the label on both. I was willing to pay 30% more basically for the same battery by the same manufacturer, but with spiralcell technology (more surface area) and a "superior" brand label. What really surprised me was that the Acura OEM AGM we removed also said Johnson Controls on the label. So I'm jumping to the conclusion that all AGM are basically the same and we all can probably expect about four years out of them... :annoyed:

There's only a few big battery manufacturers... and as you found out, Johnson Controls is one of the major players

BEAR-AvHistory 02-22-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16387082)
So I'm jumping to the conclusion that all AGM are basically the same and we all can probably expect about four years out of them... :annoyed:

Replaced the AGM in our 2013 last year, JC. Car is run pretty much on a daily basis. JC makes a bunch of batteries but expect they are specked differently even if they are the same chemistry. Cobra has a red top purchased in Dec 2013 from Amazon & is still testing OK.

Truck is now 21 years old. Don't remember positively how many its has had but do remember at least 3, last one this winter. Truck lives outdoors & can sit for long periods without use.

ConradValmont 02-22-2019 02:07 PM

What a timely post. Had my OEM AGM battery replaced by the dealer in Dec 2017 after only 3 years, stall from Idle-Stop. Just yesterday, after driving for more than hour, turned into a parking garage, Idle-Stop stalled again. Had to power cycle. No new problems later that evening and this morning. 1 year old battery starting to fail already?! ZZzzzZzzzz.

edmua6 02-22-2019 02:12 PM

^Do you always use the idle-stop feature? I've always wondered how detrimental the batteries are for the idle-stop feature. It's become a habit for me to turn it off as soon I leave the driveway.

ZipSpeed 02-22-2019 04:27 PM

I make it a point to keep my batteries topped off with a battery tender, especially during winter, and knock on wood, no issues yet. Once a week during deep freeze weather, otherwise, once a month. No idea if maintaining the battery will minimize degradation, but doesn't hurt to try to keep the battery as healthy as possible.

Mr Hyde 02-24-2019 02:06 PM

New cars rely heavily on their batteries,the start-stop still powers all those accessories whenever activated.

The BMW twin turbo V8 needs a new battery at EVERY oil change. A different issue onto itself (only charging while coasting may work great on German highways, but that isn't how most Americans drive), but the days of batteries going 10 years has come to an end.

BEAR-AvHistory 02-24-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 16388338)
New cars rely heavily on their batteries,the start-stop still powers all those accessories whenever activated.

The BMW twin turbo V8 needs a new battery at EVERY oil change. A different issue onto itself (only charging while coasting may work great on German highways, but that isn't how most Americans drive), but the days of batteries going 10 years has come to an end.

BMW battery personal experience. Never replaced a battery in my 3 year cars, 9 oil changes. Just replaced the battery in my 2013, 6 oil changes. Put 2 batteries in my 10 year car, 10 oil changes.

Have not seen battery complaints on the web sites.

My 2006 3G TL had a good will battery change in a bit over 2 years, 2 oil changes. Pretty common complaint on the forum.

chums 02-24-2019 08:13 PM

The battery in my 2013 3 series looked twice as big as the one in my TLX. Also never replaced it until the car was totalled this past December.

BEAR-AvHistory 02-24-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by chums (Post 16388470)
The battery in my 2013 3 series looked twice as big as the one in my TLX. Also never replaced it until the car was totalled this past December.

They are physically pretty big

14"X7"X7.5"

SPECIFICATIONS:Amp Hour: 95AH, Cold Cranking Amperage:900A, Cranking Amperage:1000A, Reserve Capacity:160 min, Terminal Type: Top Mount, Voltage: 12.0 VDC, Vent Kit.

JT4 02-25-2019 08:05 AM

My past experiences with Honda/ Acura batteries is a little over 3 yrs before they either died without warning, or started to show signs and I replaced it.. So IMO the 4.5 years you got out of the OEM was pretty good..

hadokenuh 02-25-2019 11:40 AM

My 2013 TL goes thru 3 batteries in 5.5 years. By 2014 MDX goes thru 3 batteries in 5 years. I dumped the OEM ones and bought my recent ones at Costco for $100 each.

BMW batteries are another story. You'll need to get them reprogrammed to work properly. That's like a $600 job part + labor.

BEAR-AvHistory 02-25-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by hadokenuh (Post 16388735)
My 2013 TL goes thru 3 batteries in 5.5 years. By 2014 MDX goes thru 3 batteries in 5 years. I dumped the OEM ones and bought my recent ones at Costco for $100 each.

BMW batteries are another story. You'll need to get them reprogrammed to work properly. That's like a $600 job part + labor.

Nope. All you need is an app on your smart phone. The "reprogramming" is to set the charge rate for the new battery. Pull up the menu & select the rate. Takes about 3 minutes. Typical AGM 900CCA about $180 at the local auto stores.

hadokenuh 02-25-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 16388777)
Nope. All you need is an app on your smart phone. The "reprogramming" is to set the charge rate for the new battery. Pull up the menu & select the rate. Takes about 3 minutes. Typical AGM 900CCA about $180 at the local auto stores.

That's good to know. Back in 2011, that was how much they wanted to charge me with my CPO warranty (they say CPO doesn't cover battery), after some pushing back and forth, we settled at $300. Blackberry's were more popular than iPhones and Andriod phones back then :)