Seat design defect

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Seat design defect

This is the second time this plastic piece has broken off my drivers seat in less than 2 years. Up to this point, my Acura dealership has been replacing it for free because the car is still under warranty. But i have only 1,500 miles left until the warranty expires. I spoke to the service manager today and told him that I would not be happy if I had to pay to have this design defect replaced every year. He said that Acura has done a good job of taking care of their customers when it comes to design defects. He's a service manager at an Acura dealership so of course I would expect him to say that. My personal solution to this problem is that I am probably going to upgrade to a 2018 Aspec which doesn't have this design flaw. But there are many owners out there that will still have the 2015-16 (2017 also?) models that have this defect. If Acura will no longer replace this once the warranty runs out, what would you do?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I definitely seen this issue brought up multiple times before, am glad it hasn't happened to me yet. Hopefully you get it fixed quick and at no cost to you. A design flaw like that is unacceptable.

That being said, how hard are you guys plopping yourselves in your seat? Mine shows no obvious signs of wear or stress on that area.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This issue you are having would piss me off to no end. I hope they don't give you any issues if it happens after your warranty ends. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Mine has never had a problem although I have seen it before in the forum. As far as taking care of people with design defects... I call BS. I'm still driving with my defective 9ZF.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Mine has never had a problem although I have seen it before in the forum. As far as taking care of people with design defects... I call BS. I'm still driving with my defective 9ZF.
As I understand it, the issues with the ZF9 transmission, possibly others, were a factor when Acura decided to bring transmissions back in house, vs. sourcing from another manufacturer, for the FMC 2019 RDX.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The issue with the ZF9 is not that it's defective per say - it's that (IMHO) it is working as designed. This is what is making the entire TLX driving experience pretty poor. I am still getting used to its sluggishness.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
I definitely seen this issue brought up multiple times before, am glad it hasn't happened to me yet. Hopefully you get it fixed quick and at no cost to you. A design flaw like that is unacceptable.

That being said, how hard are you guys plopping yourselves in your seat? Mine shows no obvious signs of wear or stress on that area.
Same here, no signs of wear or stress on mine either about 4 years later. Wondering if it has to do with how people are getting in/out of the car and/or very large drivers. It's definitely breaking because there is stress and pressure on the plastic area, and then it pushes on the metal loop underneath it and cracks off. Willing to bet the seat bottom bolsters are worn also on that car

Last edited by h_dawg; 06-18-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
As I understand it, the issues with the ZF9 transmission, possibly others, were a factor when Acura decided to bring transmissions back in house, vs. sourcing from another manufacturer, for the FMC 2019 RDX.
The ZF9 has had issues "working as designed" under multiple manufacturers, not just Acura. Other vehicles that use the transmission have also gone through a myriad of updates. Transmission warmer issues are in TSB's. If everything was "working as designed" you don't replace transmissions -- what would that accomplish other than giving the customer another transmission that was "working as designed". For those of us that have had 2015's since the beginning and some of us with 2016's (or have dumped the car), we know how bad shifts were with this transmission. Many people have gotten them replaced and have reported positive results; others of us have not been successful in getting the transmissions replaced. So, we're not talking about shift lag or slight "bumps" in the shifting. If you have a 2018, you may not be experiencing the crappy shifting others of us are -- you may just be left with odd shifts/downshifts or nothing at all (I've never driven a 2018, so not sure).

As for OP, I haven't had the issue you're speaking of, but it has happened to others on here. I'm too scared to look to see if mine is broken. lol.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
The issue with the ZF9 is not that it's defective per say - it's that (IMHO) it is working as designed. This is what is making the entire TLX driving experience pretty poor. I am still getting used to its sluggishness.
Spot on with your post. It works exactly as it works. From a stop fine it's fine, any situation where you slow brake and then want to step into it you get the lag most times.The thing that bothers me most is when going into a corner where i can really take advantage of the sh-awd (which IMO is the best AWD system out there outside of Audi) there it that lag so you have to step into it earlier than you should rather than httting the corner and stepping into it.. Sad thing is my wifes 2017 RDX totally blows away the TLX ZF9 trans with instant response.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
Because the in house 5 speed was so much better? My TL burned thru 3 of them. The first one didn't even make it to 30k miles.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife had the plastic seat piece replaced in her 15. Service writer told her it was a design defect.