remote start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start

I have an Acura 2016 TLX. The remote key doesn't have the remote start feature. can it be added?
what would it take
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Yes it can be added and you'd get a new key fob
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I had my dealer install a Remote Start kit on my 2018 Acura TLX 3.5L V6 FWD "Tech" package. I like it very much, particularly since we've had some quite cold weather around here recently.

Originally Posted by charaniat786
I have an Acura 2016 TLX. The remote key doesn't have the remote start feature. can it be added?
what would it take
You'd need a "Remote Start Kit" like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Acu...-/122551821827TLX Remote Engine Start Kit 38015-TZ3-A10

You could either install it yourself, and then have the dealer program your new key fobs, or, have the dealer do the whole job.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Christopher.
I had my dealer install a Remote Start kit on my 2018 Acura TLX 3.5L V6 FWD "Tech" package. I like it very much, particularly since we've had some quite cold weather around here recently.

You'd need a "Remote Start Kit" like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Acu...-/122551821827TLX Remote Engine Start Kit 38015-TZ3-A10

You could either install it yourself, and then have the dealer program your new key fobs, or, have the dealer do the whole job.

How much did the dealership charge you for installing it?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by feelgood_7
How much did the dealership charge you for installing it?
The price they listed on my paper would have been $750 (for the kit + installation), but I convinced them to do it for free. No way would I pay $750.

Call around, get some quotes to bring to your dealer. Would you not be comfortable installing it yourself? I would have, if I hadn't gotten the dealer to give me the paper that says: "Owed from dealer: Remote Start". Then I'd expect them to charge anywhere from $0 - $50 to program the new keyfobs for you, if you install the transceiver yourself.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

The price they listed on my paper would have been $750 (for the kit + installation), but I convinced them to do it for free. No way would I pay $750.

Call around, get some quotes to bring to your dealer. Would you not be comfortable installing it yourself? I would have, if I hadn't gotten the dealer to give me the paper that says: "Owed from dealer: Remote Start". Then I'd expect them to charge anywhere from $0 - $50 to program the new keyfobs for you, if you install the transceiver yourself.
Unfortunately I didn't think about it at the time I signed the lease last weekend. I am not comfortable installing it myself as I'm afraid I might mess it up

I will call around to get quotes for installing the kit and setting up the fobs...
Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are discussing remote start - another question: Could someone confirm the correct part number for the remote start kit is for a 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec Red SH-AWD - is it 38015-TZ3-X10 or 38015-TZ3-X20? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Pro

Could someone confirm the correct part number for the...for a 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec Red SH-AWD: 38015-TZ3-X20
-X20 is correct for your 2018 V6 TLX:

remote start-remote-start-part.jpg

From here:

Honda eStore

(Search for Remote Start at that link, you can see for yourself)

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
You can confirm the part number simply by reviewing the installation instructions:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...II05363-17.pdf
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
This accessory is really gaining in popularity. In Canada we have a Civic SE now and remote starter is standard.

I am impressed by the range of mine.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Pro

Talking

Like a dumbass, I didn't even realize my TLX didn't come with remote start until I was driving it home after the sale, and looking at the key fob while stopped at a red light I was like: "Wait, WHAHT?! Where is the remote start button on my key fob, it's not there?!?"

It had not even occurred to me that a car trying to call itself a "luxury" car could even come without a remote start, I mean seriously, even the Accord comes with one in some packages?!?

Originally Posted by Saintor
This accessory is really gaining in popularity. In Canada we have a Civic SE now and remote starter is standard.

I am impressed by the range of mine.
Yeah, just for the hell of it I tried mine while I was inside the library and the car was out in the parking garage, a level down. It worked - through all that concrete and steel and multiple layers of building walls/floors.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Like a dumbass, I didn't even realize my TLX didn't come with remote start until I was driving it home after the sale, and looking at the key fob while stopped at a red light I was like: "Wait, WHAHT?! Where is the remote start button on my key fob, it's not there?!?"

It had not even occurred to me that a car trying to call itself a "luxury" car could even come without a remote start, I mean seriously, even the Accord comes with one in some packages?!?

Yeah, just for the hell of it I tried mine while I was inside the library and the car was out in the parking garage, a level down. It worked - through all that concrete and steel and multiple layers of building walls/floors.

Thanks for input on the part number. Haha - I too did not pay attention to the fact that the car did not include remote start. I'm waiting for a quote for my dealership on installation. Called another dealership and they quoted $317 for installation
Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Pro

Seems to me like it should be a standard feature across all models for any car company that wants to call itself a "premium" brand. Same with real leather seats. Anything less just doesn't feel "premium"/"luxury" to me.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM
Pro

Thanks for input on the part number. Haha - I too did not pay attention to the fact that the car did not include remote start. I'm waiting for a quote for my dealership on installation. Called another dealership and they quoted $317 for installation
That's just installation, not including the kit? I guess it must be, because they listed $750 as what they would charge for kit + installation at my service department. That tells me I sure won't want any work done there beyond the specially discounted oil changes they offer ($24.95 for the life of the car for geniuine Acura brand 0w20 oil + filter - they said it's "semi-synthetic").

Wouldn't it be nice if it was illegal for businesses to lie to customers? Because, I would want to ask them exactly *why* they want to charge that much. Isn't say, $50 an hour a fair rate to pay for a car mechanic? And would it really take them more than an hour to install it? I just don't think so. I looked at the instructions and I don't think it would take me more than an hour, and I'm not even an experienced mechanic, who should be able to do it a lot faster than I would? Of course, when I do something like that myself it always does take longer than I planned because I'm not setup like a professional shop with all the tools they have, access to all the manuals, computer diagnostics, and a dozen other mechanic right there in the shop that I could ask if something wasn't clear to me because it was the first time I was doing it... So to be generous, we could say give them 2 hours, and is $50 per hour too low? Then $75/hour - that's still $150, not over $300?

Maybe try asking a Honda service department how much they'll charge to do it? It's not a very "risky" job, not something that could endanger your engine or such. It's basically removing some interior trim to get to a plug that's already there, plugging in a small transceiver and mounting it in the location that's preconfigured for it, screwing it in place, and attaching a cable tie, then putting the trim back. Then the next step is programming the key fobs with their special software. If I were you, I'd look at the .PDF instructions before I'd agree to pay someone $300 to do the work.

My God just imagine how wonderful it would be if we could have a device that would force people not to lie when we ask them questions - I don't think I'll live long enough to see it, but I imagine some day they'll make effective portable lie detectors. You walk up to the car service manager guy and ask him: "do you mind wearing this lie detector while I ask you why you're charging me so much"? And if he says no, well then why would you want to do business with such a person? Customers deserve to be treated honestly and fairly and not have companies trying to give made up stories about why the job is extra complicated and takes more time etc.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are discussing remote start - another question: Could someone confirm the correct part number for the remote start kit is for a 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec Red SH-AWD - is it 38015-TZ3-X10 or 38015-TZ3-X20? Thanks!
Just an FYI I used the kit from 2016 for my 2018 and have no issues at all. I got it off eBay for like $225 and installed it myself in 5 min and then had the dealer code the remotes for $50 and I'm done
The following 2 users liked this post by Temp_A-Spec:
Christopher. (01-25-2018), feelgood_7 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
That's just installation, not including the kit? I guess it must be, because they listed $750 as what they would charge for kit + installation at my service department. That tells me I sure won't want any work done there beyond the specially discounted oil changes they offer ($24.95 for the life of the car for geniuine Acura brand 0w20 oil + filter - they said it's "semi-synthetic").

Wouldn't it be nice if it was illegal for businesses to lie to customers? Because, I would want to ask them exactly *why* they want to charge that much. Isn't say, $50 an hour a fair rate to pay for a car mechanic? And would it really take them more than an hour to install it? I just don't think so. I looked at the instructions and I don't think it would take me more than an hour, and I'm not even an experienced mechanic, who should be able to do it a lot faster than I would? Of course, when I do something like that myself it always does take longer than I planned because I'm not setup like a professional shop with all the tools they have, access to all the manuals, computer diagnostics, and a dozen other mechanic right there in the shop that I could ask if something wasn't clear to me because it was the first time I was doing it... So to be generous, we could say give them 2 hours, and is $50 per hour too low? Then $75/hour - that's still $150, not over $300?

Maybe try asking a Honda service department how much they'll charge to do it? It's not a very "risky" job, not something that could endanger your engine or such. It's basically removing some interior trim to get to a plug that's already there, plugging in a small transceiver and mounting it in the location that's preconfigured for it, screwing it in place, and attaching a cable tie, then putting the trim back. Then the next step is programming the key fobs with their special software. If I were you, I'd look at the .PDF instructions before I'd agree to pay someone $300 to do the work.

My God just imagine how wonderful it would be if we could have a device that would force people not to lie when we ask them questions - I don't think I'll live long enough to see it, but I imagine some day they'll make effective portable lie detectors. You walk up to the car service manager guy and ask him: "do you mind wearing this lie detector while I ask you why you're charging me so much"? And if he says no, well then why would you want to do business with such a person? Customers deserve to be treated honestly and fairly and not have companies trying to give made up stories about why the job is extra complicated and takes more time etc.
Most dealers charge between $120 to $150 per hour for their labor and their technicians will make anywhere from $30 to $50 of that depending on their experience level. Most technicians also will own their own tools and boxes. It is not unheard of to see a tech in a shop that has over $60,000 worth of tools sitting in their stall and that huge tool box you see can run around $10,000 if it has cabinets in addition to the rows of drawers. The times you asked about come from standardized labor guides since a master tech who has done the job many times will be a lot quicker than an entry level tech who is still learning.
The following users liked this post:
feelgood_7 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
Just an FYI I used the kit from 2016 for my 2018 and have no issues at all. I got it off eBay for like $225 and installed it myself in 5 min and then had the dealer code the remotes for $50 and I'm done
Sounds so easy when you put it that way! I live in the Seattle area and the three dealerships around me are charging: $317, $280 and $600 for the install + programming - pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I'm hesitant to try it myself as I'm afraid I might screw something up - but strongly considering taking the plunge and trying the install myself. The dealership that quoted $317 quoted $158 for just programming the two fobs.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Pro

Tell them that most dealers program the fobs either for free, as a courtesy, or, charge about $50. If I didn't care about upsetting them, I'd honestly ask them, do they have any idea how absurd they sound saying that they would charge $150, just to program your key?!? Seriously? Are they a bunch of criminal thugs or something?!? Ask him if he's gonna beat you up if you don't give him your lunch money. Wow.

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-25-2018 at 08:13 PM.
feelgood_7 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 PM
10th Gear

Tell them that most dealers program the fobs either for free, as a courtesy, or, charge about $50. If I didn't care about upsetting them, I'd honestly ask them, do they have any idea how absurd they sound saying that they would charge $150, just to program your key?!? Seriously? Are they a bunch of criminal thugs or something?!? Ask him if he's gonna beat you up if you don't give him your lunch money. Wow.

Haha. I ended up finding a guy locally who does audio and remote start installs to install the kit for me for $60. The dealership I purchased the car changed their tune and told me yesterday it'd be $70 for programming two fobs, so I have an appointment with them tomorrow to get it done. So $130 total is not too bad considering the previous quotes from the dealerships!
brinox (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently bought an off-lease TLX v6 Tech and the dealership is telling me that I have to have the Remote Start module programmed, in addition to the keyfobs themselves, and they're quoting two different charges for each of those programming items... Does anyone know what is being referred to here about the remote start module needing to be programmed or paired with the vehicle? There's absolutely nothing about that in the provided documentation so I don't get how this service manager is coming up with step.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Instructor

I'm unsure which year you may have, but here are the procedures for the 2018 models: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS - REMOTE ENGINE START SYSTEM P/N 38015-TZ3-X20

I would tend to agree that they are adding a bogus charge based on these instructions.

Last edited by 18TLXAspec; 04-25-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Turns out this was solely the service manager trying to make up for his lack of understanding. Originally this was partly my fault because I didn't want to advertise that I skirted most of the installation fees by installing the remote start module myself earlier in the week. However it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out that I'm trying to pair two new remote start capable fobs and the damn module is already installed. It's one menu option change before starting the pairing process. The bogus charge here was him trying to recoup the time he already spent with his gearheads. I called his bluff and he relented pretty quickly.

As you were ladies and gents!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Ok! I paid $70 to have the fobs paired to my vehicle after I installed the module. How much did they charge you?
brinox (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
Ok! I paid $70 to have the fobs paired to my vehicle after I installed the module. How much did they charge you?
Since superdick service manager dude knew he couldn't pull a fast one on me when I called him out, he "decided" to meet me at "half way", so I was out the door with programmed fobs for $80+tax. I actually never talked to him other than the one time on the phone and I'm glad because he would have gotten a further couple of earfuls from me had he said anything.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 AM
Pro

Talking

Sure the main feature is the heating/cooling properties of the remote starting in winter/summer, but I also appreciate that the remote start system makes the keyfobs "2-way" and that little green LED flash telling you that "yes, the car locked" confirmation is nice. One time it came back red and I had forgotten leaving the other key in the car (oops!).
brinox (04-30-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:19 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I installed the factory remote start on mine, it takes about 10 minutes on the 2018. Had the dealer program keys. (FYI my honda dealer said they couldn't program the 2018 acura keys yet) I don't think previous years were pre-wired like the 2018 is though. That's why they use a different part number.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the remote start on ebay for around $270 and had the dealer install it for $130. $400 all said and done.