AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Rear LED turn signals (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/rear-led-turn-signals-972365/)

OtownPSU 08-12-2018 09:45 AM

Rear LED turn signals

1 Attachment(s)
Got around to installing LED rear turn signal bulbs this morning. Definitely an area Acura skimped on, as all other bulbs in headlights/taillights are LED. Incandescent blinkers look cheap on this level of car IMO. Anyway, I took some advice from another thread and went to ijdmtoy.com and purchased the following: No Resistor Required Plug-N-Play Xenon White, Amber Yellow or Brilliant Red 21-SMD-5730 7440 992A T20 LED Replacement Bulbs For Front & Rear Turn Signal Lights
I bought the Brilliant Red colored LEDs. They were $36 (after a 10% of coupon I found) with free shipping. I received them in four days. These LEDs are the type that have a resistor pre-wired inline with the bulb, so you don't have to do any wiring or tap into the wires. Pretty easy install. The bulb itself, although it does not fit into the housing like the OEM bulb with a turn and lock motion, fits very snuggly. It has a silicone collar that seats firmly and makes a good seal. I snaked the wiring and in-line resistor through the hole into the trunk where the taillight wiring comes from. I pulled back the trunk lining after removing 2 of the snap fasteners and attached the resistor with double sided tape to metal in the trunk behind the trunk lining. Buttoned it back up and was done in under 30 minutes.

As far as brightness is concerned, the LEDs are slightly brighter then OEM, but you will definitely not blind anyone behind you. Once I installed the left one, I compared it with the OEM on the right and it was a little bit brighter, but more importantly had the instant on/off that you get from an LED. I took the following short video to show the LED in operation. Excuse the poor quality, but you get the idea. Obviously, I cannot speak to the quality of the bulb regarding longevity, but they certainly look like good bulbs and operate the way they're designed to, at least initially.

BEAR-AvHistory 08-12-2018 12:30 PM

Did you do a side by side compare vid?

dezymond 08-12-2018 06:22 PM

I bought a set of LEDs for the brake lights off Amazon, forget brand, but they just didn't sit in the connectors right. It was a royal PITA to get the taillights off too especially without pry tools.

OtownPSU 08-13-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 16279523)
Did you do a side by side compare vid?

It didn't even occur to me to get a video after I installed the first one but, from a subjective standpoint, the difference between these and OEM is significant. I'm happy with them.

OtownPSU 08-13-2018 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond (Post 16279621)
I bought a set of LEDs for the brake lights off Amazon, forget brand, but they just didn't sit in the connectors right. It was a royal PITA to get the taillights off too especially without pry tools.

I found it to be no problem to remove the taillights without pry tools. You have to make sure to pull the light housing to the side and not towards the rear.