Question about engine idle stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about engine idle stop

Hi,

My car is tlx 2018 shawd v6 aspec. It is my first car coming with engine auto idle stop feature. I am ok when driving and waiting for a traffic light but I can't feel right when I stop the car and put it in Park mode. The problem is that when I stop the car completely in a parking place and before I press the P button to switch to Park mode, the car engine stops as usua which I understand. But the problem is that once i press the P button the engine starts again. It looks like the engine must be running if I want to switch to Parking mode. Then I press the Engine stop button to shuwdown the car. The car is restarted one more time everytime I switch to Parking mode. Any idea ?

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, pressing the stop button while the engine is off will engage P, and shouldn’t be an issue. Just remember the parking brake just in case.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KTDJ
Yes, pressing the stop button while the engine is off will engage P, and shouldn’t be an issue. Just remember the parking brake just in case.
but how about if i want to switch to R mode ? Then the car will start one more time unless you can finish pressing the R button very fast, i believe it is pretty hard.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Sort of the reason the first thing I do when I get into my car is turn off the Auto Idle Stop. It's annoying and often causes a split second delay when trying to do a jack rabbit start. I also fear it won't restart at a critical moment when needed as can happen when the battery wears down a bit.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
Just turn on AC and forget about it. It will not come on. Obviously, in the winter it will be back when you no longer run AC.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Not totally correct about running the AC.

There are many reasons that will keep the Auto Idle Stop from activating: (Straight from the owners manual)

Auto idle stop does not activate when:
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 5 km/h after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• A gear position other than (D or in Sport+).
• The engine is started with the hood open. Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (-10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below -4°F (-20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• Front Defroster is ON (indicator on) (Meaning the AC is on)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
In fact, if you have the AC on, the Auto Idle Stop may well engage when you stop, then suddenly turn the car back on while you're still stopped if necessary to hold your selected temperature.

I generally like the feature for stretching a tank of gas, but I've definitely noted times when it should be disabled. Waiting to turn left at a permissive green light (meaning when you don't get a green arrow so you have to yield) or at an intersection with no light would be a prime example. Pulling into our driveway is another—the idle stop will engage and then when we shift to P the car turns back on like five seconds after it shut off.

I've also had it stall on me when the car is turning back on. It's happened maybe three or four times. Big problem when you're at a busy intersection! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to tell when this is going to happen.