Question on 2018 TLX AWD Vibration

Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Agreed. The Accord may come in less expensive similarly optioned but it’s exterior styling is an acquired taste for this generation. While the 9.5G AV6 EX-L/Touring was a consideration when getting my 16 TLX, the 10G Is a non-consideration with respect to my next move solely due to its appearance.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
TSXV6Guy (04-18-2018), ZipSpeed (04-18-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym
Hi,

For Saintor, you said you started feeling this problem, have you change you whell and tire yet for testing purpose ??
I changed them for the season. Everything is back to normal, meaning butter smooth. At any speed.

Enough that I would have my winter wheels rebalanced if I was not to return my car at the end of this year (lease over).
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
I changed them for the season. Everything is back to normal, meaning butter smooth. At any speed.

Enough that I would have my winter wheels rebalanced if I was not to return my car at the end of this year (lease over).
Thanks for the update.

Mickey
Old 01-01-2019, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD Acura vibration issue

Responding to below message
I just purchased a Certified 2015 SH AWD TLX with Advanced Package. On 1st road trip I noticed a vehicle vibration between 70 and 80 mph.
Acura Technician road wth me, confirmed vibration. Service representative tod me it was a design issue, nothing they would be able to do to resolve it. But, in maint invoice said nothing about that, stated " operated as designed" . Emailed Service Manager, waiting for reply.
Thanks

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Hi folks,
I am in the market for a new 2018 AWD Tech. I have been reading about the main potential issues with the car, and have determined that there are 2 areas of concern:
1) the transmission;
2) highway vibration.
Last week in Toronto, I test drove a brand new TLX Tech AWD (not a demo) and, sure enough, I experienced the vibration on the freeway between 110 - 120 kph (70-75 mph).
Needless to say, I was disappointed and did not purchase it. Apparently, other new cars on the lot also vibrate... I also looked at many 2018 TLXs on the lot and they were all built between April 2017 and Aug 2017.

According to the dealer, they have a new batch on order, and should arrive in May 2018. I will go then and test drive one of the newer ones to see how they perform on the highway.

Beside all obvious comments on the factory's quality control issues and the fact that Acura apprear to knowingly release cars with the vibration issue, I am starting to wonder whether this is a design issue (e.g., resonance, etc) or is it an "execution" issue (i.e., issues with assembly, tolerances, etc).

What I am trying to figure out is whether, if I purchase the car and I replace the tires (e.g, install winter tires), I would be running the risk of experiencing vibration issues. (i.e., the factory may have "fixed" the vibration issue with carefully balancing the tires on the car, and any subsequent tire change etc would alter the system and I will be stuck with the problem).

Any one has any advice or input on this? For those who have no issues with their 2018 AWDs, what's your build date?
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Travler8
Responding to below message
I just purchased a Certified 2015 SH AWD TLX with Advanced Package. On 1st road trip I noticed a vehicle vibration between 70 and 80 mph.
Acura Technician road wth me, confirmed vibration. Service representative tod me it was a design issue, nothing they would be able to do to resolve it. But, in maint invoice said nothing about that, stated " operated as designed" . Emailed Service Manager, waiting for reply.
Thanks
Hi Travler8 and welcome to both the TLX club and the vibration club! This thread here is about the 2018 and whether those buyers still feel the vibrations. In my observation, 2018 V6 SH AWD still vibrate based on the loaners I borrowed from my dealer. The redesign was only a mid model refresh, so few or no changes were made to the frame, powertrain or guts.

But to your post, I too bought a used 2015 SH AWD Advance and thought it was an imbalanced tire. I tried replacing the tires, which didn't fix it. Your dealer is wrong about there being nothing to do about it. There are two TSBs on the subject that can be found here:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-009.PDF
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-057.PDF

In reading other owners' experiences, the typical steps a dealership will take are something like:
a) blame the tires and road-force balance/rotate tires
b) perform two TSBs
c) try (a) again
d) try (a) again
e) replace tires
f) try (a) again on new tires
g) try (a) again on new tires
h) say there is nothing more that can do and this is an inherent trait of the vehicle

I made the mistake of replacing the tires myself instead of possibly getting freebies. My vibration is minimal after all those other things were done. If your car is certified pre-owned, you should have no problem AT LEAST getting the TSBs done (if they haven't already) and a road-force balancing. Keep at them hard enough and you might get new tires too. The OEM LS2 are certifiably junk tires. At least get them to document the highway vibration 70-80mph exists in case Acura ever releases a real fix or recall out of warranty.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to update everyone here on the vibration issue and the steps I went thru for my 2018 TLX SH-AWD. I live in TX and just last week I submitted my complaint to Texas Motor Vehicle Lemon Law department. They started the paperwork and sent my formal complaint to American Honda Corporation. Just yesterday I got a response back: American Honda will not address this issue and claims the vibration is a characteristic of this vehicle.

Needless to say my complaint was useless and my car will not get fixed/buy back/refund. My complaint may still go to a hearing board but that maybe a long shot. I still have to discuss this with the advisor in the Texas Lemon Law department. Monday the soonest.

So I am asking other members here, Please still go ahead and process your Lemon Law complaint from whichever state you live in. I can help anyone that is interested in doing so. Maybe with enough complaints we can make a change.

It is very sad, as you members will probably agree. I have been a die hard fan of Honda and Acura my whole life. I've own only Hondas/Acuras purchased new: Accord, FIT, TL, RDX MDX TLX.

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HONDA/ACURA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 TLX A Spec SH-AWD Vibrations

Originally Posted by Vinceyee99
Just wanted to update everyone here on the vibration issue and the steps I went thru for my 2018 TLX SH-AWD. I live in TX and just last week I submitted my complaint to Texas Motor Vehicle Lemon Law department. They started the paperwork and sent my formal complaint to American Honda Corporation. Just yesterday I got a response back: American Honda will not address this issue and claims the vibration is a characteristic of this vehicle.

Needless to say my complaint was useless and my car will not get fixed/buy back/refund. My complaint may still go to a hearing board but that maybe a long shot. I still have to discuss this with the advisor in the Texas Lemon Law department. Monday the soonest.

So I am asking other members here, Please still go ahead and process your Lemon Law complaint from whichever state you live in. I can help anyone that is interested in doing so. Maybe with enough complaints we can make a change.

It is very sad, as you members will probably agree. I have been a die hard fan of Honda and Acura my whole life. I've own only Hondas/Acuras purchased new: Accord, FIT, TL, RDX MDX TLX.

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HONDA/ACURA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.
As stated above, the 2019 TLX A Spec SH-AWD has the same exact issue that has been plaguing some users. I am currently going through the dealership process of getting the vehicle “fixed or repaired”. I doubt that there will be some type of fix to this issue, maybe will get it almost to an unnoticeable condition however reading so many forum posts about people who have gotten some type of fix to get it 80%-90% better, the problem still persists. I’ve even given my dealership the TSB procedure for the 2016 TLX V6 and they said that it would not apply to my vehicle as it’s a 2019. I will still go through the process but hopefully there can be some type of remedy. Not sure how many times American Honda Corporation has this issue come about but after 4 years of the model being out, still there is no initiative from American Honda.

Will someone please let me know how the process of the Lemon Law went for them if they went that route?

Thank you.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. ShawnJ007
The vibration is not caused by the wheels being imbalanced. It is caused by the particular weight of the vehicle, more predominantly in the AWD models, and the transmission being indecisive in sending a signal to switch to the next gear. Our vehicles need premium fuel only, 91+ and i bet most of those complaining are putting in basic (sub primary gas brand) and regular (lowest grade at primary brand) gas.
You'll notice that you dont experience the vibration as much when carrying a load (or full tank), because that extra load on the engine triggers a later shiftpoint and that counteracts the "stuck in the middle" state which causes the vibration.

FWD vehicles are lighter and as such are somewhat immune to this because their shiftpoints occur sooner, however, if they were carrying enough extra weight they might approach this grey zone.

The engine knows when it has high octane fuel and it will be more confident in shifting to the next gear. Lower octane fuels will do the opposite, the engine will hold the gear in that spot until the pitch of the vehicle changes (top of the hill) or you increase or decrease pressure on the throttle.

Hope this helps; putting shit gas in your car wont save you money in the long run. Premium is not that much more expensive for the value it brings. Up here in canada Ultra94 (suncor/petro) is about 14 cents more per litre than regular. That works out to just $7.84 more for a full tank of premium.

As my dad says, don't be penny-wise and pound foolish. Our vehicles are engineered for "Premium" grade "Top-Tier" fuel. https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Does anyone have a video of this vibration? Something other than the "seat belt buckle" video. Something with higher quality sound and a shot of the tach while its vibrating.

I'm going to try to take a video this coming week or next showing my encounters with VCM / Transmission vibration and also how i avoid it.

I feel for you guys would are struggling with this...