Purchased my TLX today. Worst timing ever.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Please share it with us... Do you have any witnesses or bystander accounts that the police talked to? Yes, you should not be the financial victim of this immature girls actions. Hopefully this will be a lesson that will stay with her for her long life. Take care and do not ignore any soreness or unexplained joint problems.
As he had cars on both sides and behind him there are witness and I would think other parties involved. If she struck him at anywhere near 40 MPH she had to have pushed him into another car and possibly multiple cars. I can't imagine there would be any issues whatsoever with who was at fault and who is responsible for damages.
The following users liked this post:
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 03:43 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you are okay! My 2014 RDX was totaled 2 month ago when a distracted person ran the red light and t-boned me. What is up with these distracted drivers??!!!
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't let this jerk weasel here way out!

Sorry about your accident. This girl and her parents are very arrogant and possibly very rich and could pull strings with the police department to get out of responsibility for the accident.
Hang tough and don't let them weasel out of it.
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
...Oh, and let your attorney earn his fees. Best for you to keep quiet and not talk to anyona associated with the other family.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
glad you came out un hurt
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Glad you are not seriously injured, and hope you can get back into a new one quick and painlessly
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
If liability has not yet been accepted you should also be careful what you say on any social media including this website. If there are contradictions between what you say on different sites or you are unable to substantiate something you say this could cause you problems. I think your lawyer would likely be less than happy to find out you have been posting here. While I would love to hear the complete story I can wait until your claims are resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by smoore:
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014), JT4 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Acurafan86 - So glad to hear you made it out of this with little or no injuries. It sucks that through no fault of your own your brand new TLX is gone but as you said, it's a safe car and did it's job. It's so maddening to hear the other parents comments - especially based on what you described as having happened and what I can only imagine the aftermath and position of the BMW and your TLX looked like.
As a parent of two teenagers, I can certainly understand their concern for their daughter, but it is inexcusable to be texting while driving.

I got this via email the other day as I guess somewhat of a social experiment taken place in a Hong Kong movie theatre with a VW ad.

Volkswagen - Eyes on the road - YouTube
Great experiment. See it everyday on the DC beltway from the van-pool vantage point. Glad the OP is OK.
Acurafan86 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is OK - regardless of fault, etc - you never want to see anyone get hurt. Sorry to hear about your new TLX - I feel your pain - my wife's MDX got hit when it was 1 week old in September. In our case, it wasn't anywhere bad enough to total the car - so now we're stuck with a car that was in an accident.

So reading your first post, it sounded like you noticed the BMW driving erratically - I know in real time, everything that happened probably occurred very quickly and its easy to play Monday morning quarterback, so I'm not saying you should have - but just thinking back - do you think honking would have helped?

Just going from my own recent experience where someone wasn't paying attention (likely texting and driving too) and ran a stop sign in a parking lot and T-boned my wife's 1 week old MDX - my experience was you should let your insurance handle everything (fix your car or in the event that it is totaled, pay you out first) - and then let the insurance company go after the other person's insurance for the money. You will have to pay your deductible initially but once they determine fault (and in this case it seems pretty cut and dry, especially if the officer wrote a report and ticketed her for texting and driving) - they will refund your deductible.

If the accident is not considered your fault, your insurance premium will not go up.

In the case of my wife's MDX, if I had gone through the other party's insurance, I would have needed to wait over a month for the other party to finally make a statement (they saw no reason to make a statement quickly until their insurance company threatened to not cover them if they didn't make a statement - and I called them asking them to make the statement).

Additionally in my case since the car was repairable, my insurance agreed to use all Acura OEM parts and replaced anything and everything that was damaged (example: there was a rim that got chipped from the accident, it was minor - but not repairable so they replaced the entire rim).

Anyway - good luck with everything, my fender bender accident felt like it took forever to get resolved - and I'm actually still trying to get the other insurance company to pay me for diminished value since it was a 1 week old car with less than 1000 miles on it when it got hit.

Last edited by LiQiCE; 10-29-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Acurafan86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
If liability has not yet been accepted you should also be careful what you say on any social media including this website. If there are contradictions between what you say on different sites or you are unable to substantiate something you say this could cause you problems. I think your lawyer would likely be less than happy to find out you have been posting here. While I would love to hear the complete story I can wait until your claims are resolved.
Great point! That is why I probably won't post any pictures and have really only stated the facts, excluding some comments on their part.

Thank you for all of the support, folks. Some great advice in here.
JT4 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
^^Very true, good advice..
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Glad to hear your OK OP. Its just a car, you will get another one when ready.
The reactions of the girl who hit you and her parents makes me sad for humanity.
Acurafan86 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
After being "knocked off your feet", have you gotten your land legs back? I can imagine it takes time to sync back to ordinary life of no accidents.

Will you still get a TLX? Will you still get the same color? Just curious and want to see you back in the seat of a TLX.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
After being "knocked off your feet", have you gotten your land legs back? I can imagine it takes time to sync back to ordinary life of no accidents.

Will you still get a TLX? Will you still get the same color? Just curious and want to see you back in the seat of a TLX.
It is so weird to move on from something like that so quickly. You go from driving your new car to maybe a near death situation. I have been monotoring any pain I have and staying on top of all of the different things (insurance, etc.). I usually love driving and working on my other cars (02 RL, 04 TL, and 14 MDX), but after this they have just sat in the garage. I'm not sure when I will drive again. Maybe after a few days.

As for a TLX, I really am not sure. I already have a collection of Acura products, but I really loved that car. It was incredible to see how far Acura had come in eleven years. If you really look at the core styling of the cars, you can see different Acuras from the past. Sometimes I see the front styling of the 05 RL in my 04 TL if I look closely. In the TLX, I saw the progression of the third generation TL. Not everyone will agree with me. I might hold off a while and see if Acura releases a Type S or Coupé. Hell, I might even try to find an NSX. That has always been my car fantasy. I hope all of you enjoy your new purchases. It is a fantastic vehicle.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with but if you have pics, they are what they are. Posting or not posting them won't change that, it's the words you have to watch out for.
Acurafan86 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Post pictures, as those are factual but watch what you say.

Imagine the Acura dealer if you go get another TLX, "Wow, another one, it's only been a few day! Slow down, we're going to run out of inventory." At least now if you have any regrets about the car (Color, packages, price) you can renegotiate. It's like a second chance.

Good luck and stay safe!
Acurafan86 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Glad you're ok!

Did it look similar or worse to this?
Acurafan86 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carz0159
Imagine the Acura dealer if you go get another TLX, "Wow, another one, it's only been a few day! Slow down, we're going to run out of inventory." At least now if you have any regrets about the car (Color, packages, price) you can renegotiate. It's like a second chance.
True and that is hilarious. I told the dealer because I had to get some information about the car. The guy said, "That might be a world record for the fastest totaled car..." I had a great laugh.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Timmy18
Glad you're ok!

Did it look similar or worse to this?
I was more focused on the girl's and my safety, but I did grab a few glances. It was much worse than that picture. In fact, I am amazed how well it took the impact. I had the ability to open the door and roll out. I remember when I did that most of the driver's side was heavily damaged. She hit me at a slight angle, so my vehicle was pushed. The wheel was smushed in, the radiator was pouring coolant, and I believe I noticed some engine oil or ATF while I was sitting on the ambulance steps. It seemed that most of the power train was pushed to the passenger side firewall. I didn't even recognize my car. It was like a Salvador Dalí painting. I'm confused now that I think of it that the radio had the ability to continue to play Lana Del Rey... It was "Born to Die" by the way. Incredibly fitting to the situation.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurafan86
I was more focused on the girl's and my safety, but I did grab a few glances. It was much worse than that picture. In fact, I am amazed how well it took the impact. I had the ability to open the door and roll out. I remember when I did that most of the driver's side was heavily damaged. She hit me at a slight angle, so my vehicle was pushed. The wheel was smushed in, the radiator was pouring coolant, and I believe I noticed some engine oil or ATF while I was sitting on the ambulance steps. It seemed that most of the power train was pushed to the passenger side firewall. I didn't even recognize my car. It was like a Salvador Dalí painting. I'm confused now that I think of it that the radio had the ability to continue to play Lana Del Rey... It was "Born to Die" by the way. Incredibly fitting to the situation.
Wow, really sorry to hear about your accident. Kids like that should have their licence removed for a year until they are mature enough to drive a car.

If the damage to the car was that bad, and you could open the door and 'roll out' fairly unscathed, I'd buy that car again in a heart beat! Knowing it can take a beating and keep me safe is worth a lot to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
Acurafan86 (11-02-2014), Stew4HD (11-17-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Good luck with whatever you decide. If I had a second lease on life, I might go for the NSX as well.
Acurafan86 (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 to Steve's recommendation on specifics.

Having recently been the Plaintiff in a lawsuit against a company that tried intimidation tactics against me, I was subject to a deposition and a litany of questions that had nothing to do with the subject of the lawsuit. I believe in the 2 hour deposition, only a couple of questions were asked that actually pertained to the lawsuit. Each time the Attorney asked me a question, my Attorney objected based on relevance, but I was still required to answer the questions unless specifically instructed not to do so by my Attorney.

Depositions are powerful tools and rightly so, but a direction question such as "Are you the member of any internet forums?" , "What forums?" and "What screen names?" quickly make this thread information that can be used.

You've been great so far and there does not appear to be any information here that would not come out in oral testimony during the deposition anyways, so you're doing great. As others have said, just be mindful

Given what you've described so far, in my opinion and I'm not an Attorney or offering legal advise, you're light years away from deposition territory and the "My car was totaled while at a stop light with a number of other vehicles" will likely bring all of this to fruition pretty darn quickly and you can put this all behind you.

Your perspective about life, what's important in that life, and what's not, shifts dramatically when you experience moments like this. I remember my Doctor calling me at work when I was 28 and telling me that a recent MRI revealed what appeared to be a brain tumor. It took a few additional diagnostic tests and a consultation to determine that it was in fact a benign calcification. Events like these forever change your appreciation for "just being."

Rest up. Feel well. Enjoy the people in the world whom you love.
The following 2 users liked this post by MedX172:
Acurafan86 (11-02-2014), weather (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry for your car's loss. Back in college, another student pulled out from the curb and centerpunched my right side door as I was moving down the street. Somehow my stupid GEICO heard his story before mine and decided to pay. After I stopped that, his company USAA refused to accept blame. So I filed a small claims suit. Immediately got a call back from USAA to fix my car.

Subpoena her phone records to prove her texting if need be. And I'd rather not put the trans in Park to prevent gear damage, but apply brakes hard instead and push yourself back into the seat for restraint but with your hands off the wheel and knees bent.
Acurafan86 (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Sorry for your loss and glad your ok. Young drivers as a group are the worst then add in elitist entitlement of a 16 yr old with a new BMW its a horrible mix. You did the right thing getting an attorney.
Acurafan86 (11-02-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey, any updates on this?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
any updates?