Okay, I drove one, too

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Okay, I drove one, too

Most of the salient points have been covered already by others and in reviews, so this is to touch on a few things I noted:

First, the car i drove was a white V6 Technology with the Espresso interior.

Secondly, it was about 102 degrees F at the time, so the A/C was literally blasting to cool down the interior. I turned the temp way up to reduce the fan noise, but it was still there (since I didn't want to broil).

The key things I was looking for were:

Transmission

I was very favorably impressed with the way the 9spd tranny shifted, especially under acceleration. it was so buttery smooth it was almost like a CVT. I only wish my RLX shifted as well. No hard shifts, no lurches, just buttah.

i did the test I always do - which is to get up to about 35-40mph, then slow down to about 20, then try to accelerate again. Just like my RLX (and many other cars I've had, including a Lexus LS460), it got its feet tangled up and had to think for a second or two before accelerating away. I don't know why this happens, but it seems to be a fault of almost every AT out there today, and it could get you killed.

I also tried the transmission in all modes except ECO (who wants that?). Honestly, I couldn't tell a dramatic difference in performance, although the Sport+ setting DID hold onto revs a little longer. On the negative side, it also made for some lumpy downshifts as I slowed and came to a stop.

Bottom line is I like the new transmission. I would probably leave it in Sport mode all the time, just for the additional pep, and I don't think it would make a big difference in gas mileage.

(By the way, it's been mentioned, but the ICS drive mode is remembered, and it stays in whatever mode you left it.)

Ride and Handling

The TLX has the "Acura ride", but after driving my RLX with 19" wheels and low-profile tires for months, the TLX actually felt noticeably smoother and softer. Not to the detriment of handling, but to the benefit of comfort. I wish my RLX rode as well.

The ICS settings seem to affect the steering weight and throttle response a little, although again I didn't notice anything dramatic in my relatively short drive. It didn't seem to make the difference pressing the Sport button in my RLX does, for sure. Sport mode in the TLX felt best to me, and that's another reason I would probably leave the ICS in that mode.

Interior

A lot has been said about the interior size, and I'll just say this - it seems about the same as my last (4G) TL, but I can't swear to it because I didn't have them back to back. The salesdude confirmed Acura's claim that interior volume is the same as the 4G.

Materials quality seemed fine to me for a TL-class car. It doesn't have leather-covered dash and door panels like my RLX, but that's appropriate. Now, because it was a dark-colored interior, it was harder for me to evaluate it. All dark interiors seem gloomy and lower-quality to me, and I'm accustomed to lighter leathers and plastics, so I'd have to see one in Graystone to really make a judgement. That said, I certainly didn't feel like I was in a low-rent car.

I especially like that the rear seatbacks fold. The trunk seemed plenty roomy to me as well.

Equipment

Just a short comment here - I was happy to see lots of "RLX-like" equipment in the TLX Tech. Blind spot monitoring, electronic parking brake and brake hold (woo-HOO!), LKAS, dual screens, jewel-eye headlights, multi-vew rear camera, etc.

I forgot to see if it has the capless fuel filler, but I'll bet it does.

Exterior styling

No real issues here, unless maybe that the car generally doesn't have the "what was that?" styling zing of the 4G. That's especially true in the rear, where the 4G's dramatic tail lights have been replaced with generic-looking tails. And of course from the front it's virtually impossible to tell an ILX or RDX or RLX from a TLX.

Otherwise, the body shape is pleasant even if it's not wow-inspiring.

Performance

Even with the new tranny, this car isn't going to blow people away with its engine performance. But that's okay with me - TL's have never been race cars, and this one seems about on par with the 4G by my seat-of-the-pants G-meter. Acceleration is strong from a stop, even if not overwhelming, and the car seemed to me to downshift and spool up as well as expected.

In short - nice, but you're not going to be blown away. And as I said, for most of us that's okay, since previous TL's have been pretty doggone good runners and this one's no different. If you want more, strap a turbo to it.

One thing I especially looked for was the rumored "hesitation" or "pause" when accelerating from a stop. I did a number of stops and starts with varying levels of aggression, and I was unable to make it hesitate.

Summarizing

That's the main points I wanted to relay. Having owned a number of Acuras - 3G TL, a number of 4G TL's, MDX, RDX, RL and RLX - I can say this one continues in the spirit of the previous ones. It's got a premium feel, a nice appearance, excellent equipment and honest good performance. It's not a giant step forward, which probably disappoints those who wanted 350hp and racing slicks as standard equipment, but it's a solid vehicle.

Think of it like the iPhone 5s compared to the iPhone 5, and be glad it didn't slip backwards in any category.

The following 25 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
2011TL (08-09-2014), 4WDrift (08-10-2014), a35tl (08-09-2014), billyt1963 (08-10-2014), cokorote (08-10-2014), dwest1023 (08-10-2014), ggesq (08-09-2014), holografique (08-10-2014), internalaudit (08-09-2014), J.A.S. (08-09-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-10-2014), JTRADAR61 (08-09-2014), kurtatx (08-10-2014), mr2core (08-09-2014), MuGen7Modulo (08-09-2014), ostrich (08-09-2014), Oswald Vater (08-11-2014), paperboy42190 (08-11-2014), randomRon82 (08-09-2014), Rocket_man (08-09-2014), Stew4HD (08-09-2014), Teh Jatt (08-09-2014), Terragotti (08-09-2014), Tonyware (08-10-2014), weather (08-09-2014) and 20 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX

Interior

A lot has been said about the interior size, and I'll just say this - it seems about the same as my last (4G) TL, but I can't swear to it because I didn't have them back to back. The salesdude confirmed Acura's claim that interior volume is the same as the 4G.
Let's set it straight about the interior size of the TLX, relative to the TSX and TL. According to the Acura website, the interior passenger volumes are:

4G TL: 98.2 cu ft
TLX: 93.3 cu ft
2G TSX: 94.5 cu ft

So the TLX has less interior space than the 2G TSX!!! I love how facts are disregarded when the salesman is trying to sell you the car
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ This is where being 5'10 and very slim pays off....I will fit quite nicely in it. In fact, that is why I now enjoy driving the ILX more than the TL.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by hddnav
Let's set it straight about the interior size of the TLX, relative to the TSX and TL. According to the Acura website, the interior passenger volumes are:

4G TL: 98.2 cu ft
TLX: 93.3 cu ft
2G TSX: 94.5 cu ft

So the TLX has less interior space than the 2G TSX!!! I love how facts are disregarded when the salesman is trying to sell you the car
Okay, I'll concede that, but the total interior volume figures don't tell the whole story. If you don't use the volume, what good is it? (A high roof, for example.)

Here's the numbers:

An inch of headroom here, a fraction of an inch of legroom there, and it adds up fast. But 98% of us won't notice it. It's not like the *usable space* is enough smaller to make a difference.

If you hadn't highlighted those numbers, I wouldn't have known the interior volume of the TLX was less.

Oh, and keep in mind the TSX had grown to the point that it was almost the size of the TL (which some would argue was too porky)!

Last edited by Mike_TX; 08-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4WDrift (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by weather
^^ This is where being 5'10 and very slim pays off....I will fit quite nicely in it. In fact, that is why I now enjoy driving the ILX more than the TL.
The TLX feels SIGNIFICANTLY larger inside than the ILX!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

These guys (not weather) are obviously looking for reasons to hate this car. No amount of praise will sway them.

Never mind that we all knew the 4G was sort of a bastard size in that it was so close to the RL that it caused a lot of gripes from many. It only stood to reason that the TL(X) needed to get smaller. The rumors were already flying in '13 that the next gen would be downsized. The whiners have to whine, the haters must hate.

I thank you for your review! Rocket_Man put up a good review too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
JM2010 SH-AWD (08-10-2014), kurtatx (08-10-2014), weather (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
wow i wanna see this on the road!!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I test drove one today too and I agree with just about everything Mike_TX says. I found in Sport + mode, from a standing start, this car really goes. Now that may be because I'm coming from a 1G TSX, but within a second or two I put 20-30 yards on the car next to me. I did also notice the slight hesitation when accelerating, but I didn't find it a deal breaker. They had a TL next to the TLX and I went back and forth sitting in each. They felt about the same size to me. I think the greystone of the TLX felt more airy than the black of the TL. I preferred the TLX to the TL.

Yes this car has a capless gas filler... even instructions for you. The last icon is a reminder that there is a funnel in the trunk under the floor if you need to pour gas from a can. When you close the gas cap you can tell it is pressing against the filler like there is a gasket. I wonder if this will redice the 'tighten gas cap' messages.
Attached Thumbnails Okay, I drove one, too-img_5598.jpg   Okay, I drove one, too-img_5599.jpg   Okay, I drove one, too-img_5600.jpg  

Last edited by Rocket_man; 08-09-2014 at 11:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike_TX (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
Great and honest review! The test ride truly had me sold. The transmission truly shifts so smooth!!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Yes this car has a capless gas filler... even instructions for you. The last icon is a reminder that there is a funnel in the trunk under the floor if you need to pour gas from a can. When you close the gas cap you can tell it is pressing against the filler like there is a gasket. I wonder if this will redice the 'tighten gas cap' messages.
No, because the filler neck already does that. You can see the water drain hole in the pic which would let out pressure behind the flap. The filler neck also has to stay sealed in a crash to prevent fire. The gasket is to seal out dust/dirt from getting in the neck.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 08-10-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WDrift
No, because the filler neck already does that. You can see the water drain hole in the pic which would let out pressure behind the flap. The filler neck also has to stay sealed in a crash to prevent fire. The gasket is to seal out dust/dirt from getting in the neck.
My wife's car once failed inspection because the fuel cap leaked. I guess they tested it on some sort of test fixture. We bought a replacement at Autozone for like $10. If the TLX ever had a bad seal it might be pretty pricey to fix.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Mike, it was a pleasure testing driving the TLX with you on Saturday.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts

Thanks Mike...I can go either way with the size. I like my TL and while I still enjoy the interior, I do prefer a small more compact cockpit. If the TLX is a bit smaller than the TL, then it will be a step in the right direction (for me).

I don't like large interiors because of my size, and as much as I like the RLX, I find it way too big for me. That is why I often find myself leaving the TL at home recently in lieu of the ILX, despite teh lack of power compared to the TL, I still enjoy the way it feels and handles.

I am not going to lie that I am back onboard with the TLX though....the more recent new pics (especially the white ones) have got me back on board and there is no doubt that for the price, features etc, it will be a great car. Sure, it's not perfect but no car is...
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Nexx
Mike, it was a pleasure testing driving the TLX with you on Saturday.
i didn't know you were a member here!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I drove one too.

Like you I did not feel any hesitation upon take offs in any of the driving modes though I did not test Eco. Differences were subtle and I think I preferred sport.

I am 6' 1" and thought the size of the car was perfect. Seats aren't as supportive as TSX but still very comfortable.

3G TL feel is back. This is a luxury car first. Zippy feel of TSX is gone, but maybe it's there in the 4 cyl model. I prefer the luxury feel actually.

Trunk looked very small to me.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Mike, thanks for this review big time. This is exactly what I was waiting to see from one of us RLX owners to see how the TLX compares to our RLX.

Looks like most of what I anticipated is true, re: interior, performance, ride quality, etc comparisons.

One thing: did you try out the Nav system extensively in the TLX? If so, how did it perform compared to the RLX? Was it snappier and more responsive? How was the resistive-touchscreen versus our capacitive-touchscreen? Any improvements in resolution or clarity?

At the moment, if I don't end up moving brands, it looks like the TLX will make a great option for me in 2016 when my RLX lease is up. Not to mention lower lease payments are always welcome . Now, that is unless Acura get's it's act together with the RLX and get's the few outstanding "issues" that keep it from being all that it can be resolved. (suspension issues, include IDS, SH-AWD, include remote start, faster NAV system, etc). I would love to stay with the RLX, but they really need to put the final "polish" on this car to get it to really come out strong for the price and value. I really hope a 2016 MMC takes care of this...

Last edited by holografique; 08-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I expect the lower touch screen to be just like the Accords touch screen.. very responsive!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Thanks for these pics and the info about the capless gas filler.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by holografique
Mike, thanks for this review big time. This is exactly what I was waiting to see from one of us RLX owners to see how the TLX compares to our RLX.

Looks like most of what I anticipated is true, re: interior, performance, ride quality, etc comparisons.

One thing: did you try out the Nav system extensively in the TLX? If so, how did it perform compared to the RLX? Was it snappier and more responsive? How was the resistive-touchscreen versus our capacitive-touchscreen? Any improvements in resolution or clarity?

At the moment, if I don't end up moving brands, it looks like the TLX will make a great option for me in 2016 when my RLX lease is up. Not to mention lower lease payments are always welcome . Now, that is unless Acura get's it's act together with the RLX and get's the few outstanding "issues" that keep it from being all that it can be resolved. (suspension issues, include IDS, SH-AWD, include remote start, faster NAV system, etc). I would love to stay with the RLX, but they really need to put the final "polish" on this car to get it to really come out strong for the price and value. I really hope a 2016 MMC takes care of this...
No, holo, I didn't take the time to play with the nav or touch screen. These cars had just hit, and there were several people standing around wanting to sit in them and drive them, etc. So I devoted my seat time attention to the driving experience.

I'll say this, though - unless things change, I'll be "downgrading" (LOL) to the TLX when my lease is up, too. Honestly, the things my RLX has that matter to me are on the TLX - electronic brake, blind spot monitoring, VCM, capless filler, good backup camera, decent performance with good gas mileage, and some other things I can't remember at the moment. Hell, I might even splurge and get the Advance so I can have ventilated seats, too.

If you haven't driven one, take the time and do it - it seems like a heckuva car, and a good value.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Yup, definitely plan to test drive one as soon as they arrive to my local dealer.

This is further confirmation that Acura needs to take a step back and rethink the RLX. Once again they have created a car in their lineup that will highly compete against it's flagship vehicle. Personally I would rather see them continue to delay the release of the Hybrid and give it the extra "stuff" it needs to really separate it from the TLX and make it a true flagship vehicle.