Official TLX Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Official TLX Sales Thread

I looked for a centralized TLX sales thread and have only found individual monthly sales threads. I'll start an official thread to centralize monthly sales numbers. Eventually, I'll try to merge all the prior threads into this one so it'll be easy to follow trends. The other mods can assist if they like. Here's June's numbers. As you know, I count myself among new TLX owners/lessees in June.
The following 8 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (07-04-2017), F23A4 (08-01-2017), ggesq (07-06-2017), Jhole99 (08-01-2017), mapleloaf (07-10-2017), nist7 (02-07-2019), Ron A (07-04-2017), Speed_Racer (07-04-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The RLX needs to be scrapped and Honda/Acura need to start from scratch for a mid sized luxury car. ILX needs a major overhaul to compete with the compact entry level luxury competition. Honestly the Civic look more upscale than the current ILX. The TLX is heading in the right direction and I think will sell decently. It's a nice looking car. Honda just needs to stop with it's pussy footing and put a 300 plus HP engine in the TLX AWD variant. The MDX is perenially a good seller and the refreshed fascia has really grown on me. Once the RDX gets the new front fascia I think I'd pick that over the MDX if I were to get an SUV/CUV. It will be the most popular Acura vehicle easily.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Not to get too far off topic, but if Acura works as hard on the RLX MMC as they did on the TLX MMC, they may get a few more sales. The RLX Sport Hybrid is not a bad car at all, but could use some more interior lux features to be more competitive. The RLX PAWS needs to go. On top of that, Americans are not buying sedans, they've moved to SUVs. Were I an SUV person, I'd have moved to a MDX SH, myself. Speaking of that, the MDX SH is priced competitively, which is likely why it's already selling fast....which was another RLX problem. $66k is simply too much.

Back to the TLX, hopefully the changes and the A-Spec make some diff in sales for the intermediate term.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I hope Acura brings SH AWD and sports hybrid variants for RDX at FMC.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
good to see the sales numbers up on the TLX.....any idea of how many of those were the new 2018 vs the discounted 2017 model....could not find any specific numbers.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
I hope Acura brings SH AWD and sports hybrid variants for RDX at FMC.
I actually really hope that Acura will bring SH AWD to the non-hybrid RLX MMC without increasing the price too much. It will be a good contender. No more "fancy Accord" comparison. The RLX is a good car but I just can't bring myself to spend 45-50K for a FWD car.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
2,495 sold in July 2017 vs 3,124 in July 2016.

- 20.1%

Not good.

The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (08-03-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I havent even seen one aspec in houston. i thought they would be poppin by now
Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
So my opinion on why they flopped in the first month is that the A-spec looks great but all other trims took a step back in style by adding awful looking chrome everywhere. Also the financing and leasing monthly payments are completely ridiculous here in Canada. They have priced themselves so high that you can go pickup a similarly equipped BMW, Audi, or Infiniti for less money.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ Which means that incentives are going to be available much sooner than Christmas

They usually have really good incentives around the Labor Day holiday.

I have seen one ASpec in White in person. I love the rear styling. The front is alright, nothing special. I don't know what's wrong with the front but I thought it could be better.
justnspace (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Besides pricing being very un-Acura like and no longer good value, it seems that they are starving the Aspec supply. A LOT of people want the blue SHAWD version but it's either not available or currently being built. Makes absolutely no sense marketing wise, unless factory is pumping out Accords (so yes, a TLX supply 'Killer' for now lol). That's why they already have a $1000 rebate in Canada after one month, will give more now for sure.

And my dealer was saying they're selling so well we need to keep prices high .... I have't seen one Aspec in Montreal. Just a black 2018 tech SHAWD, one....

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-01-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

If you look year-on-year the difference is only 1.6%, so still some time to make up sales.
a35tl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, the non-Aspec's with the chrome bits just don't look right. Like an after thought. Dealers around the Bay Area in California keep saying they can't keep ASpec's in stock but I have yet to see 1. I put a deposit down in mid-June for a Blue AWD ASpec and I'm just now being told mid-August.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Not to get too far off topic, but if Acura works as hard on the RLX MMC as they did on the TLX MMC, they may get a few more sales. The RLX Sport Hybrid is not a bad car at all, but could use some more interior lux features to be more competitive. The RLX PAWS needs to go. On top of that, Americans are not buying sedans, they've moved to SUVs. Were I an SUV person, I'd have moved to a MDX SH, myself. Speaking of that, the MDX SH is priced competitively, which is likely why it's already selling fast....which was another RLX problem. $66k is simply too much.

Back to the TLX, hopefully the changes and the A-Spec make some diff in sales for the intermediate term.
Just look at sales numbers of Genesis G80 in last few months..constantly 1000-1200 per month..that is what a good product can sell even in declining sedan market...

I will be curious to see what incentives Acura offers for TLX now...interested in SHAWD Aspec...will wait till Aug end or labor day weekend...

Last edited by alpha0; 08-01-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

I'm curious has anyone cross shopped A4/C300/3 series recently? There's always this talk about if Acura doesn't do aggressive incentives they're not considered value anymore and buyers will walk to more premium brands. I've heard of incentives with the above mentioned brands but are they dipping prices into the mid-$40's where it would tempt people to jump ship. When I looked in June it was still $50k+ to get somewhat similar equipped models from the other brands.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I'm curious has anyone cross shopped A4/C300/3 series recently? There's always this talk about if Acura doesn't do aggressive incentives they're not considered value anymore and buyers will walk to more premium brands. I've heard of incentives with the above mentioned brands but are they dipping prices into the mid-$40's where it would tempt people to jump ship. When I looked in June it was still $50k+ to get somewhat similar equipped models from the other brands.
I would cross shop C class and 3 series and Q50 against the TLX. The most I'd pay for a TLX is high 30s and definitely below 40K after all incentives (and before tax). Whereas I'd probably pay up to high 50K for a German counterpart. I would look at the price more than similar equipped models as you stated. It basically means I'd be willing to lose some features going German to keep the purchase price down. So the difference really is usually just 5-6K.

Acura has 2 things going for them: reliability and good value. They are what the brand is counting on. Losing one of these will make them much less competitive on the market.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I like the 2018 TLX but still not sufficient inventory or acceptable deals/incentives. I test drove and found I think I could live with the ZF in the 2018 much better than the 2017 but need better incentives to pull the trigger. When do we expect them to come out? What is a good deal nowadays?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Yeah, the non-Aspec's with the chrome bits just don't look right. Like an after thought. Dealers around the Bay Area in California keep saying they can't keep ASpec's in stock but I have yet to see 1. I put a deposit down in mid-June for a Blue AWD ASpec and I'm just now being told mid-August.
Agree...the chrome just does not look right, especially on the rear of the car. Have not seen any new TLX models of any kind on the roads in the Tri-State Cincinnati area.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
For the few of us that are waiting on higher incentives are better deals, this is music to my ears. I have seen only one in the Miami area and none at all in the Denver area. I like the "exclusivity" of the car (if you can call it that).

I dont know why Acura's production of the ASpec is being treated almost as a collectors car. For the post above where he placed the order in JUNE and his car will be delivered in AUGUST is just plain crazy. This isnt a custom Ferrari.

I am ready to buy right now, but I think for this car patience will be worth it. I think incentives and deals should be making an appeareance soon if these numbers keep up, but at the same time, the question has to be asked: Are sales low because of bad planning on Acura's part or are they low because of price/competition? How Acura reacts to this will be the key on judging the 18s as a success or failure. Whats the point of having a nice all arounf car if its not priced to move?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
For the few of us that are waiting on higher incentives are better deals, this is music to my ears. I have seen only one in the Miami area and none at all in the Denver area. I like the "exclusivity" of the car (if you can call it that).

I dont know why Acura's production of the ASpec is being treated almost as a collectors car. For the post above where he placed the order in JUNE and his car will be delivered in AUGUST is just plain crazy. This isnt a custom Ferrari.

I am ready to buy right now, but I think for this car patience will be worth it. I think incentives and deals should be making an appeareance soon if these numbers keep up, but at the same time, the question has to be asked: Are sales low because of bad planning on Acura's part or are they low because of price/competition? How Acura reacts to this will be the key on judging the 18s as a success or failure. Whats the point of having a nice all arounf car if its not priced to move?
The crazy thing is I wrote an email to Acura customer care asking in a nutshell, why aren't you sending Blue AWD Aspecs to California? I told them it's been over 5 weeks (at the time) and there wasn't even one scheduled to be built for California according to my dealer. Their customer relations group got a hold of a regional sales manager to assist. The one I got (I'm being told) was an allocation from an east coast dealer that they are redirecting. No idea if that's BS or what, but it took me pushing to get something to happen. Maybe it's the blue color that's throwing things off. I don't know if it's product planning, slow assembly or just that California is not an AWD TLX market, but it just seems strange after almost 3 months of production AWD ASpecs are hard to come by. Did a quick search and within a 500 mile radius:

AWD A-Specs
White 23
Black 10
Grey 4
Red 2
Blue 0
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
Wait.....you're still waiting? That's BS! I'm sorry to read of that.

My A-Spec was built in March, so really early. One would think that if they've been building since at least March, for a release in June, there'd be plenty to go around. I don't pretend to understand the economics of scaling up production, but man....it's not like the A-Spec in blue is a collector's car. Or is it? Hmmmmm....
Old 08-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I would cross shop C class and 3 series and Q50 against the TLX. The most I'd pay for a TLX is high 30s and definitely below 40K after all incentives (and before tax). Whereas I'd probably pay up to high 50K for a German counterpart. I would look at the price more than similar equipped models as you stated. It basically means I'd be willing to lose some features going German to keep the purchase price down. So the difference really is usually just 5-6K.

Acura has 2 things going for them: reliability and good value. They are what the brand is counting on. Losing one of these will make them much less competitive on the market.
My willingness to pay is also 40k + TTL for Aspec SHAWD. I am also going to test drive Q50 (300hp) version in the meanwhile..
hadokenuh (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm still waiting, I was given ETA of 4th of August and now it's being pushed to 14th. White with red AWD, I was told it was built on 7/22.

Last edited by Teh Jatt; 08-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

^^^^^

My A-Spec was built in March, so really early. One would think that if they've been building since at least March, for a release in June, there'd be plenty to go around. I don't pretend to understand the economics of scaling up production, but man....it's not like the A-Spec in blue is a collector's car. Or is it? Hmmmmm....
Wow, didn't realize they started building these in March. That makes it even worse. Damn, they've been building for 5 months?? Wish I had better insight on how these are manufactured. I'm wondering if they only do batches of colors at a time or something, but that wouldn't make sense to me when you see production lines where they have different colors back to back.

Seem to see more FWD Blue A-Spec's but I just figured that's normal to have more FWD than AWD.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
I like the 2018 TLX but still not sufficient inventory or acceptable deals/incentives. I test drove and found I think I could live with the ZF in the 2018 much better than the 2017 but need better incentives to pull the trigger. When do we expect them to come out? What is a good deal nowadays?
According to Edmunds (which has been correct so far as I've seen) Current incentives are:

Base/V6AWD - $500 Dealer Cash and/or $1500 Lease Cash
Tech/A-Spec/Advance: $750 Dealer Case and/or $2000 Lease Cash

Expiring 9/5/17, but similiar incentives expired on the first round 7/5/17 and were available again right after. I'm sure there will be some kind of incentive and it will grow as others have stated past Labor Day.

Edmund's always states that these incentives aren't "public" and dealers don't have to give them to you, but with sales on the decline they'd be stupid not to offer something.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^

He's not the only one. Was told by dealer that Canadian Blue Aspec Elite's SHAWD wouldn't be available until mid August, simply weren't being made at the time in mid June. The reason why behind it makes no sense to me. It's a color, not like Acura has tons of them. Unless they're out of blue ...
Old 08-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
It's crazy. The dealer in my area has had no less than 3 Blue Aspecs on their lot at all times. At least one was AWD. Fly to PA and drive it back. They also seem to be getting a lot of black. There was one white also this weekend. I haven't seen a red one at my dealer and only one grey. . Black and Blue seem to be the colors they are getting.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
I have seen two 2018 TLX's (neither were A Spec) on Long Island.

Honda slowed the production at the Marysville plant a few months ago since the Accord sales are a bit behind (everyone wants a crossover or SUV) so that is likely why TLX production is not ramping up quickly.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
He's not the only one. Was told by dealer that Canadian Blue Aspec Elite's SHAWD wouldn't be available until mid August, simply weren't being made at the time in mid June. The reason why behind it makes no sense to me. It's a color, not like Acura has tons of them. Unless they're out of blue ...
Have no solid info but it looks like Acura does not randomly paint the cars in whatever color is ordered. Looks like they save them up so they can run a big batch of all say blue cars at one time, before switching over to another color for the next batch.

Would also bet that dealers are selling ordered cars when they don't have an allocation for one & riding out the complaints by the customers.

Have never ordered a car where one color took longer to be delivered then any other color.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Really the RLX sold just over twice as many as the NSX. Please Acura put a bullet in the RLX and save yourself further embarrassment. Push the TLX further upstream and make it larger and slot something back in the TSX slot.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you look year-on-year the difference is only 1.6%, so still some time to make up sales.
Realize that the year on year is misleading because the redesign initially bumped the numbers higher. That along with the very high incentives on the 2017's have inflated the y-t-y.
Since the updated design came out in June, we are seeing a bump in June of 12.9% of those itching to get it. But with the dust settling and the lack of incentives so far the drop in sales for July at 20% is troubling. We will have to wait and see what happens and I truly hope this car is a success. I am in love with the Blue A-Spec FWD but am going to wait until incentives increase to attempt to buy. I'm also still happy with my 2010 TL so I have time.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
The Fusion dropped 42%. Ouch.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
2,495 sold in July 2017 vs 3,124 in July 2016.

- 20.1%

Not good.
Can hardly be worse. And it is not because they don't have inventory. I was at my dealer last Friday...they had a few with different versions.

Yeah their new pricing sucks, but I assume that reality will force them *again*. To have the $2900 A-Spec package, you must also have the $3700 Tech package? That's nut.
jyrtl (09-01-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Racer

Incentives offered for 2017 TLX has setup low anchor price in minds of would be customers. And when product is not complete redesign, it is difficult to break away from those anchor prices.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Once the "Gotta Have It" buys are done the market will say what the car is worth. Agree the stacked option requirements is not a good plan.

They should be trying to get cars out the with door 100% ala carte options not playing linked games with specific options people would buy as standalones.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpha0
Incentives offered for 2017 TLX has setup low anchor price in minds of would be customers. And when product is not complete redesign, it is difficult to break away from those anchor prices.
People that were affected with the 2015s came in good fate to walk out with a new Aspec car at a decent price. Remaining hardheadedly stuck in a dream world asking full price to the people most affected is pure robbery. Good luck trying to get these people back, even with better discounts. Fool me once ...
As for people looking for a good deal, seeing the prices for 2017s or in the used market and looking over at Acura charging full price is just plain wishful thinking on Acura's part. I have a feeling sales will drop even further next month once 2017s supply is depleted.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Racer

www.carjojo.com is showing price of about 42.7k shawd aspec (including destination). Same site shows around 31k for accord touring v6.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
One of my colleagues dad is a director at Acura dealership (Canada). I asked her to confirm with her dad how is the new TLX and how people perceive it. Her dad told her that people are very interested in the new TLX -A-Spec and lots of test drives and etc. But the issue is price. It's very high.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
2012wagon (08-03-2017), BEAR-AvHistory (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my black with red interior a week ago. There was no blue in stock but they had a few red and white ones available. Although neither had the red interior. The white one they had with the white interior was already sold. This is in Coquitlam BC
Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
One of my colleagues dad is a director at Acura dealership (Canada). I asked her to confirm with her dad how is the new TLX and how people perceive it. Her dad told her that people are very interested in the new TLX -A-Spec and lots of test drives and etc. But the issue is price. It's very high.
Not sure about price being too high. If you compare to Lexus or Infinity, I think Acura prices are better. 2017 Lexus IS 350 FSport had a MSRP of 50k, 2018 Acura TLX ASpec AWD MSRP is 45,700. I chose the 2018 Acura TLX ASpec awd.
I seen a Nissan maxima for 42,460 MSRP.
Don't get me wrong, 45,700 MSRP is high for a car, but the MSRP is negotiable.

Quick Reply: Official TLX Sales Thread