My personal comparison between 3G TL and TLX (mostly negative side)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
My personal comparison between 3G TL and TLX (mostly negative side)

Two weeks ago we traded in our 07 TSX base auto for TLX AWD Tech (wife car). The TLX feels like a great upgrade from the TSX; however, compared to my slowly aging 06 TL with Navi/6MT, I am not that impressed.

Yes, the TLX has the latest safety nannies and it is somewhat up to date on the technology side (still can't understand why there is no Apple CarPlay - not even on 2016 model) or why they do not offer more connected car experience like in Audi etc (wi-fi hot spot etc), but the car is still fine for the price paid.

Compared to my TL, I am finding the TLX not as impressive from the quality perspective.

Below are some of my gripes about the TLX vs 3rd ten

I am only 5'8 and in my TL in the passenger seat I can stretch legs just fine and my elbow will still nicely rest on the door arm rest; however, in the TLX I can't do it cause once I adjust the seat so that my legs can fully stretch, I can no longer rest my elbow on the door arm rest army seat position is further back and simply can't reach it comfortably.

the materials used for headliner, the A, B pillars are much cheaper in TLX than TL. Even the materials in the trunk are nicer.

the rear deck and C pillar are all hard plastic on TLX, but it is soft (just like A and B pillars) on TL - definitive cost cutting

there are no pockets in the rear doors - I love that in TL - that is where I keep my umbrella

the front seats on TLX are supper flimsy -when I have kids in the back, each time they stretch, kick, or touch the back of the front seat, I can feel in in my back/spine - it seems like the seats in the TLX are empty inside lol

the cell phone tray is TLX useless unless you have tiny phone - like iPhone 45 or 5 - it can't accommodate iPhone 6 or 6+ while plugged in!

the open cup holders are just ugly on TLX

some of the padding is removed from the glove box in TLX.

the side sills are flimsy (in front at least). the acura logo sills are tiny and not really protecting anything compared to TL

there are gaps in the center console (bottom part) - it looks like it is not a single piece, but two pieces - very strange.

the 3.5 liter in TLX sounds much rougher than 3.2 in TL - it almost sounds trashy and very unlike Honda when not really pushed hard - small accelerations and typical driving - when under full acceleration, the 3.5 sounds pretty good.

the sunroof cover is super cheap - does not have the solid feel from TL or even TSX - in TSX it used to have the lock-in feel when closing, in TLX it just slides effortlessly.

no blue tint on the exterior mirrors - TL has it - I know the Advanced model has dimming exterior mirrors, but I shouldn't be spending 45k on a feature that was available on a base model before.

the engine bay is mostly exposed where in TL it had nice plastic covers all over the components.

from the performance standpoint, the TLX does not feel like it is any faster vs my TL (I have no mods on the car)

Overall, I think this is a phenomenal upgrade and superb car for my wife - who is not as picky and came from base 07 4 cylinder TSX.
As far as myself goes, I do not see this car to be that appealing as I see way to many cost cutting measures and just the car does not seem to feel like a true TL replacement. I guess I could go over all these things when Acura decides to offer 6 speed manual sh-awd 3.5 (or better 3.7) with at least tech package and improved driving characteristics - otherwise, I will continue driving my 06 until it falls apart.
The following 10 users liked this post by mlody:
boe_d (09-27-2015), dj5 (09-25-2015), Gene Cuban (01-04-2020), jwong77 (10-13-2015), Medjai (09-25-2015), nothome17 (05-02-2018), quantum7 (09-25-2015), rockyfeller (01-27-2016), spofford (01-01-2016), Tony Pac (01-23-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
OUCH!!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Overall, I think this is a phenomenal upgrade and superb car for my wife - who is not as picky and came from base 07 4 cylinder TSX.
As far as myself goes, I do not see this car to be that appealing as I see way to many cost cutting measures and just the car does not seem to feel like a true TL replacement.
I am in the same camp as your wife, and the TLX is a phenomenal upgrade for me, from my '06 TL. Not one of your issues is a concern for me, and I think Acura achieved a good balance with the cost cutting measures. My daily routine works just as well if I am sitting on a gold "seat" or a plastic seat, in fact plastic should be softer and warmer.

The bottom line of course is everyone has different preferences/priorities/opinions, and there are choices to meet almost every budget. I am sure your feedback will be helpful to some potential buyers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quandry:
finebead (10-03-2015), Hoosier_TLX (09-25-2015), quantum7 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
I am in the same camp as your wife, and the TLX is a phenomenal upgrade for me, from my '06 TL. Not one of your issues is a concern for me, and I think Acura achieved a good balance with the cost cutting measures. My daily routine works just as well if I am sitting on a gold "seat" or a plastic seat, in fact plastic should be softer and warmer.

The bottom line of course is everyone has different preferences/priorities/opinions, and there are choices to meet almost every budget. I am sure your feedback will be helpful to some potential buyers.
Excellent reply! Someone has a personally critical review of TLX and they are not slammed for their opinion. Very refreshing.
The following 3 users liked this post by quantum7:
jwong77 (10-13-2015), rockyfeller (01-27-2016), weather (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
totally agree with OP. the TLX just feels cheaper compared to the TL.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Two weeks ago we traded in our 07 TSX base auto for TLX AWD Tech (wife car). The TLX feels like a great upgrade from the TSX; however, compared to my slowly aging 06 TL with Navi/6MT, I am not that impressed.

Yes, the TLX has the latest safety nannies and it is somewhat up to date on the technology side (still can't understand why there is no Apple CarPlay - not even on 2016 model) or why they do not offer more connected car experience like in Audi etc (wi-fi hot spot etc), but the car is still fine for the price paid.

Compared to my TL, I am finding the TLX not as impressive from the quality perspective.

Below are some of my gripes about the TLX vs 3rd ten

I am only 5'8 and in my TL in the passenger seat I can stretch legs just fine and my elbow will still nicely rest on the door arm rest; however, in the TLX I can't do it cause once I adjust the seat so that my legs can fully stretch, I can no longer rest my elbow on the door arm rest army seat position is further back and simply can't reach it comfortably.

the materials used for headliner, the A, B pillars are much cheaper in TLX than TL. Even the materials in the trunk are nicer.

the rear deck and C pillar are all hard plastic on TLX, but it is soft (just like A and B pillars) on TL - definitive cost cutting

there are no pockets in the rear doors - I love that in TL - that is where I keep my umbrella

the front seats on TLX are supper flimsy -when I have kids in the back, each time they stretch, kick, or touch the back of the front seat, I can feel in in my back/spine - it seems like the seats in the TLX are empty inside lol

the cell phone tray is TLX useless unless you have tiny phone - like iPhone 45 or 5 - it can't accommodate iPhone 6 or 6+ while plugged in!

the open cup holders are just ugly on TLX

some of the padding is removed from the glove box in TLX.

the side sills are flimsy (in front at least). the acura logo sills are tiny and not really protecting anything compared to TL

there are gaps in the center console (bottom part) - it looks like it is not a single piece, but two pieces - very strange.

the 3.5 liter in TLX sounds much rougher than 3.2 in TL - it almost sounds trashy and very unlike Honda when not really pushed hard - small accelerations and typical driving - when under full acceleration, the 3.5 sounds pretty good.

the sunroof cover is super cheap - does not have the solid feel from TL or even TSX - in TSX it used to have the lock-in feel when closing, in TLX it just slides effortlessly.

no blue tint on the exterior mirrors - TL has it - I know the Advanced model has dimming exterior mirrors, but I shouldn't be spending 45k on a feature that was available on a base model before.

the engine bay is mostly exposed where in TL it had nice plastic covers all over the components.

from the performance standpoint, the TLX does not feel like it is any faster vs my TL (I have no mods on the car)

As far as myself goes, I do not see this car to be that appealing as I see way to many cost cutting measures and just the car does not seem to feel like a true TL replacement. I guess I could go over all these things when Acura decides to offer 6 speed manual sh-awd 3.5 (or better 3.7) with at least tech package and improved driving characteristics - otherwise, I will continue driving my 06 until it falls apart.
I agree about the sunroof cover...that stood out to me. Don't have much to say about the other things.

One issue though: "nanny" features. I've seen this derogatory word used for what are actually groundbreaking, game changing features in forums for other cars with them. That's ridiculous. What the TLX has is not nanny features. The TLX is close to auto pilot/automated driving on the freeway. Older vehicles had annoying nanny features, i.e. alerts, etc., many of which don't even operate that well.

The TLX has LKAS and ACC with low speed follow. That's not a nanny, that's a robot butler that drives your car for you. This is a big deal, and it's a huge advantage over other cars. I think the TLX even comes close/is better than the Mercedes automated driving features, and Mercedes is considered the best in the industry. Having those features can absolutely change the nature of driving a stop-and-go commute or road trips.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I've had my TLX for 7 1/2 months now and I can honestly say that I haven't crawled all around my car to determine how "inferior" it is compared to other cars. I agree with Quandry that this car has a lot of features, performance and overall good amount of car for the money.

It's been addressed on this site before about the apparent relation of "quality to cost" from this car to the earlier versions of TL's and it's been rationalized to death that some things have to be traded off to keep the car in this price range.

I'm very happy with my car but I guess I need to spend more time in the passenger seat to see how bad it really is.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (01-21-2016)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Having owned a 3G TL for 11 years and now the TLX for a bit over 1 year, the 3G TL had better tires, the bass response of the stereo system was probably also better in the 3G, but this is a debatable quality for some. I miss the blue visor stripe at the top of the windshield in the 3G, too. The transmission in the TLX can be annoying.

Outside of that? I'd take the TLX over 3G all day, every day. After over 21,000+ miles, no rattles in my TLX yet. My 3G rattled to holy hell after about 5000 miles. Much better mileage in the TLX (my morning commute would probably yield about 20 mpg in my 3G, whereas I get 25-27 in the TLX on the same trip; road trips would yield about 28-31 mpg on mostly highway trips in the 3G; the same exact trips are yielding 35-40mpg in the TLX). Much, much better ride in the TLX. I like the double NAV/infotainment screen better on the TLX. Seats are far more comfortable in the TLX - especially on long road trips. Much quieter ride in the TLX. After 21,000+ miles, the interior of this car is aging a lot better than the TL did. The aluminum trip and steering wheel were starting to show its age in the TL after a year or two. The TLX still looks new.

I loved my TL, but I'd take the TLX over it easily. I remember all the knocks people had against the 3G when it came out. I remember exploding sunroofs, rattles galore, apparently dying transmissions (though my AT lasted forever), "oh noes, buttprints on my leather seats!", long front overhang, etc. I still loved that car. Just like I love this one (well, except for the at times wonky tranny. lol.). Hopefully I've got another 225,000 or so miles left in this one.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 09-25-2015 at 06:28 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
9SpeedTran (01-21-2016), a35tl (09-25-2015), finebead (10-03-2015), neuronbob (12-15-2015), Quandry (09-26-2015), Warrior 6 (09-26-2015), youngTL (09-25-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Rocketsfan, I'm in a similar position to you (except coming from an 07 TL-S 6MT!). My TLX is actually on order for delivery in December. The dealership let me take an SH-AWD Elite (which is the model I want) home for 24 hours. I spent hours driving that thing everywhere from my usual commute route, my downtown route, out in the country, and on and off my favourite on/off ramps. Tested the stereo, seating position, and everything.

While I agree that some of the materials are a slight downgrade (the injection molded material for the dash and doors, and the lower part of the doors), I didn't notice anything else material wise that was worse. The leather on the seats is actually nicer by a fair bit, and so is everything on the steering wheel.

The armrests and centre console are WAY more padded than in the 07. The ride is WAY better too. The 3G TL-S ride is very harsh, and it's becoming too much for me as I age. NVH is way, way down in the TLX, I was super impressed.

It handles almost as well (I attribute some to the tires, I'm swapping them ASAP when I get the car). The ELS system sounds clearer than in my 07, but has *slightly* less low frequency amplitude.

Also, fit and finish are better in the TLX. My 07 TL-S is decent in that area but has a few panel gaps on the dash that stick out by at least 3 mm (noticeable around the vent area). The 9AT shifts smoother and faster than I could ever shift with my 6MT (the test car had a slightly abrupt 2-3 shift, but nothing that bothered me, some people hate it though and that's understandable since it shouldn't do that).

I think my biggest issue with the TLX is actually not the materials, but the design of 2 areas: the upper dash on the passenger's side, and the upper door panel design (armrest and upwards). I don't really love the look of the handle-less armrest - it feels more flat than in past TL's where it was more of a 'pocket' for your arm. It's hard to explain. They should have put a trim piece above the leatherette panel to reduce the overall expanse of the injection molded rubber. The upper dash is also boring on the passenger's side and needs some other material on the lower part of it just above the woodlike trim. Speaking of that trim, we NEED an option for other materials Acura! Some of us would pay extra even after the fact for different non-wood-look accents. I don't think the woodlike accents are ugly, but I would have preferred something sportier looking like carbon fibre look trim or even piano key black trim. We shall see what the MMC does.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I can agree with a few of your points... but when you start complaining about glovebox padding, trunk and headliner materials, engine cladding coverage, and the lack of blue tint on the side mirrors... I don't know - you just sound like a really hard person to please.

And... I have an iPhone 6 in a big old case and it fits in the center console tray just fine, while plugged in.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tobey457
I can agree with a few of your points... but when you start complaining about glovebox padding, trunk and headliner materials, engine cladding coverage, and the lack of blue tint on the side mirrors... I don't know - you just sound like a really hard person to please.

And... I have an iPhone 6 in a big old case and it fits in the center console tray just fine, while plugged in.

Don't think he is being hard to please, just commenting on things he once had that he no longer has in the replacement car.

This happens, in the 335 to 435 lost the ability for a single button push to synchronize the DS & PS climate controls after a passenger who made personal adjustments leaves the car. Its just a first world problem, but still a pain in the butt.
nothome17 (05-02-2018)
Old 09-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Interesting assessment and no doubt there was cost cutting in rode to provide the "nannies" and other technologies at a reasonable price. A few things that I believe the OP has gone beyond opinion and is simply wrong:

1. The front seats are hardly "super flimsy".
2. It may not "feel" faster, but it is….significantly so. It's also smoother and more refined.
3. To suggest the 3.5 is much rougher than the 3.2, while quaintly loyal, is incorrect.
4. Most all luxury cars have open cupholders, including Lexus. It's a personal choice, one that I prefer for looks and functionality. Again, to suggest they are 'ugly" seems like a very biased statement, albeit an area of personal preference. Others have claimed that this is a unique Acura cost cutting measure….which is silly. It's the new style.
5. Finally, I have an IPhone 6 and it fits just fine plugged in. The tray is a great feature.

I appreciate the poster's loyalty to his old 3.2, a fine vehicle to be sure. However, perhaps a little carried away. I must admit that most of the issues raised are completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the car, but each to his own.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:04 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Lol TS, the TLX is better than a 3rd gen TL in every way possible. The negatives you wrote about the TLX were personal preferences like cup holders, blue tints etc,

I mean seriously?
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by CAgine
Lol TS, the TLX is better than a 3rd gen TL in every way possible. The negatives you wrote about the TLX were personal preferences like cup holders, blue tints etc,

I mean seriously?
I wouldn't necessarily say in EVERY way possible. For example, the side bolsters on the Type-S I have are probably about 20-30% larger (doesn't mean they're more comfortable - they are not, but they hold you in slightly better in a hard corner). And the door panel design is in my opinion worse. But most everything else I feel is better.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
lol another delusional 3G owner. blah blah 3G is teh bestest evar!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I agree with OP about the material cutting in the TLX. I love the materials in my '04 TL, soft touch all over the doors is great. But costs do have to be cut in order to add all these new features, such as the dual screens and keyless entry as standard options. I wish there were a "premium materials package" that included soft touch materials on all the doors including the lower portion, and also the cloth rear deck and C pillar for like $500, lol I'd opt for that for sure. My 3G TL is great but I'd take my TLX over the TL in a heartbeat, the TLX just feels more solid and looks more luxurious on the inside than my TL. I do wish the TLX V6 engine had more torque and horsepower, a 20 hp increase from a base engine (2004) to an upgraded V6 engine (2015) in 11 years is pretty disappointing, the TLX just feels a little powerless with the 9AT at low speeds even in sport mode. I understand why Acura made the car more luxurious and less sporty, but this would have been forgivable had they made the V6 more powerful. The TLX is a step in the right direction, but Acura needs to listen to TLX owners when a refreshed model is in the works. Oh well, just my
Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I echo the thoughts of the OP, and I could add some more complains compare to the 4G. But its clear by now, after reading all kinds of posts, that the 3G and TSX boys and girls are more likely to go buy a TLX, instead of the 4G owners (like yours truly).

I think the 4G people are looking to "graduate" to something better, probably a Benz C, CLA or E class. This is an Acura mistake and the bosses over there didn't see it coming.

PS. personally I am looking at the C or CLA as a potential replacement in a year or so. If I could find a good condition used CLA 45 AMG that would be nice.... unless Acura gets their act together and presents us with a TLX that doesn't feel cheaper than an Accord.

Last edited by Tonyware; 09-29-2015 at 06:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonyware:
$wi$Her$ (05-28-2016), JT4 (10-03-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
unless Acura gets their act together and presents us with a TLX that doesn't feel cheaper than an Accord.
What? I don't know anyone personally that has made that comparison. My brother had an Accord and doesn't think so. I have a friend with a new Accord and he doesn't think so. I work with a guy that has an Accord and he loves my TLX, and has told me on numerous occasions. It is almost an entirely different car than the Accord, but you're going to believe what you want to believe.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
KeithL (10-16-2015), Stew4HD (09-29-2015), youngTL (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
What? I don't know anyone personally that has made that comparison. My brother had an Accord and doesn't think so. I have a friend with a new Accord and he doesn't think so. I work with a guy that has an Accord and he loves my TLX, and has told me on numerous occasions. It is almost an entirely different car than the Accord, but you're going to believe what you want to believe.
I sold an Accord to get into the TLX, I completely agree with you. I don't know why these guys don't say "Why not get a Civic instead? Both are made by Honda and see no reason to pay more..."
KeithL (10-16-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Racer

I echo the thoughts of the OP, and I could add some more complains compare to the 4G. But its clear by now, after reading all kinds of posts, that the 3G and TSX boys and girls are more likely to go buy a TLX, instead of the 4G owners (like yours truly).

I think the 4G people are looking to "graduate" to something better, probably a Benz C, CLA or E class. This is an Acura mistake and the bosses over there didn't see it coming.

PS. personally I am looking at the C or CLA as a potential replacement in a year or so. If I could find a good condition used CLA 45 AMG that would be nice.... unless Acura gets their act together and presents us with a TLX that doesn't feel cheaper than an Accord.
I currently own a 3G TL and traded in my 4G AWD Tech for a V6 TLX Tech FWD. Obviously the TLX is better than the 3G TL considering it's 2 generations newer and also the TSX because it's just a step up in quality. I would consider I "graduated" to something better, the TLX is just smaller but I don't feel that when driving it. The TLX interior is much more luxurious than the 4G TL, although the TL interior material quality is just slightly better than the TLX. Build quality of my old 4G TL and TLX is the same.

I don't understand why you're saying a TLX would be a downgrade from a 4G TL, yet a Mercedes CLA would be an upgrade from a 4G TL?? The ILX is in the same segment as the CLA. So if you're disappointed with the TLX, wait until you step into a CLA. 4G TL owners aren't in some higher tier than other gen TL owners, it's ridiculous to claim that they're more likely to move onto a Mercedes or BMW. Saying that certain Acura owners of the same model are better and more likely to move onto first tier brands is ignorant. As is saying that a TLX is cheaper feeling than an Accord. Come on, don't make ridiculous claims like that.
KeithL (10-16-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
4G owner here, I want to like the TLX so badly but...probably going to a move to a Q50 or something after having taken the time to look at the TLX. Great replacement for the guys dumping their TSX, not so much for the TL crowd.
JT4 (10-03-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I replaced my 2005 TL A-SPEC with the 2015 TLC 2.4 Tech and absolutely love it. It is much quieter and rides better. The technology is better. The LED headlights put out better lighting than the xenons on the TL. The navi with real time traffic is a real plus.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a question. Why do you guys think the Accord vs. TLX sentiment exist, in the general public, automotive press, etc?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by NopeNope4425
I have a question. Why do you guys think the Accord vs. TLX sentiment exist, in the general public, automotive press, etc?
I think outside of the automotive press, it's more of a "Honda vs. Acura" sentiment that may be more prevalent. It exists for the same reason that the "ES 300 vs. Camry" sentiment used to exist (and probably still does for whatever reason). They used to be very similar cars. In the case of the ES (back then 250) and the Camry... they even damn-near looked identical. lol. People still say the ES is nothing more than a dressed up Camry.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by NopeNope4425
The Accord vs. it's Acura counterpart has been debated since the late 80's. There's just a closer disparity now between the two than ever before.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by wreak
4G owner here, I want to like the TLX so badly but...probably going to a move to a Q50 or something after having taken the time to look at the TLX. Great replacement for the guys dumping their TSX, not so much for the TL crowd.
I found there was a lot missing from the Q50 in the steering and suspension department. For me on the test drive it was so pronounced that it was a deal breaker. Some people might not notice as much as I did. The Q50 felt substantially more 'boaty' than the G37 ever did. I feel like the Maxima has a better behaved suspension (but worse dynamics due to FWD vs RWD). Infiniti should fix the steering, suspension tune, fuel economy (gosh the observed was bad on the same route I test drove the TLX), and NVH. Acura needs to fix the transmission shift behaviour in Eco and Normal (and the third gear issue some guys are having), and the stock tires on the TLX. And those door panels. I can live with those things though.

I've got niggles with every manufacturer though. Just turned out the TLX was the best balance between all the factors I care about for me.
finebead (10-03-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM

The CLA feels extremely cheap inside and the NVH is unacceptable in my opinion. If you're getting a MB car, get the C.

I agree that Acura made the mistake of not having anything to graduate to. The RLX is an old-man mobile. I don't think anything is actually wrong with the drivetrain of the RLX SH-SH-AWD, in fact I think it's great, but the styling, mass, weight balance, and suspension of the car are REALLY holding it back. It looks like a TLX that ate a Buick Century and got fat off it. The RLX really needs to start moving more in the NSX's general direction than the E-class general direction, because it's going to fail at the latter.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ggesq
The Accord vs. it's Acura counterpart has been debated since the late 80's. There's just a closer disparity now between the two than ever before.
Hell, even on the RLX forum .. Accord vs RLX... which I find silly.. but there it is. It seems that Acura must be laid low
Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with some..My iphone 6 with case fits great in the cell phone holder.

I got my car brand new with 4 miles on it from test driving down the street and one thing stood in the way when I got home was the floor carpet. I was highly unsatisfied how the carpet near the gas peddle and the floor board near the door wasn't flush or glued down. They had to restretch that carpet on the driver side. Just seems like quality control went out the window.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
IMO the TLX's build quality is inferior to the 4G TL's, but it makes up for it in features. It is light years ahead of the 3G though in build quality and features.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DEman19901
IMO the TLX's build quality is inferior to the 4G TL's, but it makes up for it in features. It is light years ahead of the 3G though in build quality and features.
What are some things you can think of off the top of your head that you feel are reasons as to why the 4G has superior build quality to the TLX?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
"Even a kings butt can itch while he sits at his throne."

For the past 10 years now, I've owned nothing but Acura's (and one Honda). One reason why: because most other cars, especially American built, are the absolute worst in reliability and build quality. I too can dig up some dislikes about ALL five of my Honda engineered vehicles but I know one thing is for sure, I'm much better off than the US designed and engineered BS I owned prior to the privilege of owning a Honda. In almost all models I owned (and have previously owned) from Honda Motor Co., the older ones have been the best. My point? You bought it. Enjoy what you have and just be proud of it.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by youngTL
I agree that Acura made the mistake of not having anything to graduate to. The RLX is an old-man mobile.
What constitutes an "old man mobile"? Because it's price? Because the ride is so smooth? Because it's 0-60 isn't 4.5 seconds?

I see a LOT of old men in Corvettes, Porches, M series, AMG series.. so, you are saying the RLX is a badass car like those? Sweeet.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
...It looks like a TLX that ate a Buick Century and got fat off it...
Thats the quote of the century! Thanks for the good laugh this morning

PS. The AMG version of the CLA is a bit more lux inside, the base or AWD CLA I agree, it feels like a civic inside.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
I traded my 13 Accord EXL for my TLX and in my opinion it's an upgrade in almost every way. Take the Accord for a test drive over some bumpy side streets then take the TLX and you'll see the biggest difference.

I think issue is that many of the differences are subtle and incremental - sit in a upper trim Accord then sit in the TLX and you're not BLOWN AWAY. It's nicer, it's better, but it's not *that* much better that most would *have* to have it. That's the problem.

The Accord is such a good car, such a great value, that for some/most it's tough to justify the extra few grand to bump up a bit in refinement. Acura wants to keep the price low (value luxury) and as a result they don't go all out and as a result the cars will be compared with the Accord line. I view my TLX as the nicest Accord you can buy and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Plus I secretly suspect the Acura badge impresses my Buick driving neighbors who clearly don't know crap about cars.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
What constitutes an "old man mobile"? Because it's price? Because the ride is so smooth? Because it's 0-60 isn't 4.5 seconds?

I see a LOT of old men in Corvettes, Porches, M series, AMG series.. so, you are saying the RLX is a badass car like those? Sweeet.
When I think of old man I think of my dad who now drives a Lexus ES350. Luxury boat. The styling is mainly the issue with the RLX, both exterior and interior. It's a nice car, but it really gives off the air of luxobarge. Not that that's bad on its own, but it's bad when you consider where other Acura buyers are coming from and where it's positioned at its price point.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a CLA board would be better served with your sage advice. Boys and girls buys TLX's and true upper crust adults buy Mercs? Duly noted. Buh bye
Old 09-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
can't acura be luxury company, not premium please?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwk331
can't acura be luxury company, not premium please?
Maybe no high end cars? Ford Chevy & Dodge all have pickup trucks in the RLX price range.

Quick Reply: My personal comparison between 3G TL and TLX (mostly negative side)