Moved on from TLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
I agree, either this is when they "reversed the trend", or it's when the A-Spec came out.. IMO when the A Spec came out I felt as though maybe Acura is finally listening to us...
IMO the A-Spec was a bit of a “soft reverse” if that makes sense, vs say coming out with a true type S. However the new RDX is definitely a sign that they reversed the trend. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read on here “Acura vehicle X was great but that infotainment setup was a deal breaker”. But more than that, Acura could have kept the J35 and CRV faux wheel drive system and did minimal changes because the RDX continued to sell 50k+ units year after year. But instead they put in a 2.0T and brought back SH-AWD. That alone speaks volumes to me.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:53 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

IMO the A-Spec was a bit of a “soft reverse” if that makes sense, vs say coming out with a true type S. However the new RDX is definitely a sign that they reversed the trend. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read on here “Acura vehicle X was great but that infotainment setup was a deal breaker”. But more than that, Acura could have kept the J35 and CRV faux wheel drive system and did minimal changes because the RDX continued to sell 50k+ units year after year. But instead they put in a 2.0T and brought back SH-AWD. That alone speaks volumes to me.
Makes sense, but for me, the A-Spec made me take notice, and makes me look twice when I see it, something the reg TLX model didn't do. I haven't driven one yet, but based on what previous owners of the regular TLX, who now own an A Spec have written on AZ, it seems that A-Spec is much more engaging to drive. So for me this is a good step in the right direction. Or as you call it a "soft reverse" LOL

But yeah, a true Type S with let's say 350HP, that would be a true reversal.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
Makes sense, but for me, the A-Spec made me take notice, and makes me look twice when I see it, something the reg TLX model didn't do. I haven't driven one yet, but based on what previous owners of the regular TLX, who now own an A Spec have written on AZ, it seems that A-Spec is much more engaging to drive. So for me this is a good step in the right direction. Or as you call it a "soft reverse" LOL

But yeah, a true Type S with let's say 350HP, that would be a true reversal.
I’ve seen the A-Spec TLX on the road a few times now and the first time I did stop and look but now it’s just kinda whatever. It’s an attractive car but I just prefer a different design aesthetic. But I do agree, it’s a step in the right direction.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Mostly agree with the caveat that you need to take anonymous posts online with a grain of salt.
I may also add one important but hard to calculate factor, the silent vote. If people go away and say nothing, it's hard to measure since there's no trace.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I like the way the A Spec looks compared to the base models released first. I have still only seen 2 on the road and I live 5 miles from a dealer. I really don't have much negative to say about the looks (maybe the front logo is waaay too large). The deal breaker for me is the transmission and head unit. The navi is the same as my 2010. It's so outdated. And I won't take a gamble on the transmission even with the updates. Right now there are just other options out there that I like better
Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I like the way the A Spec looks compared to the base models released first. I have still only seen 2 on the road and I live 5 miles from a dealer. I really don't have much negative to say about the looks (maybe the front logo is waaay too large). The deal breaker for me is the transmission and head unit. The navi is the same as my 2010. It's so outdated. And I won't take a gamble on the transmission even with the updates. Right now there are just other options out there that I like better
I swear this was not even planned, but there you have it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats on the A4 you will love it, Isn't the virtual cockpit great...... What color combo is it?
Thanks.

Sorry I missed this Qn.

Ext - Moonlight blue + Int - Rock Grey
Old 03-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
CR talks about owning a German vehicle long term(21:12 mins on the youtube video) & it's not pretty AND they are NOT gung ho about it.

I know now when to get rid of mine.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I'm not sure I care about the opinion of a company that bases data on ownership surveys.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I think you can quibble with how CR rates problems (e.g., serious vs minor) but on the core issues of how many owners have had problems with specific systems (e.g., motor, transmission, trim, etc.,) based on large datasets that produce statistically significant results, I believe you have give their ratings a good degree of credence. CR's data, in my experience, match the anecdotal ownership experiences of our family and car enthusiast friends. One can always point to the exceptions to the rule, but overall, the top Japanese manufacturers -- Toyota and Honda -- have superior long-term reliability compared to other brands, although that gap is admittedly closing as to some brands/models. If you just rent a car for a few years and then move on before its out of warranty, you may not care, but for those who buy and hold a car for 8-10+ years, the differences are significant.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
If you just rent a car for a few years and then move on before its out of warranty, you may not care, but for those who buy and hold a car for 8-10+ years, the differences are significant.
As you move up the food chain the number of people looking for an 8-10 year car dries up very quickly. Some special cars are always going to be keepers but DD's are replaced frequently.