Mouse damage to Cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Mouse damage to Cabin air filter

Had my car in for the A1 service and a check of the cabin air filter showed an area that was chewed on by a mouse or other rodent on the intake side. How the hell did a mouse get into there? Evidently, there was no other damage and there was no mouse in there any longer.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Rodent damage must happen frequently. I remember that whenever I took my Lexus IS250 in for service, the Service Advisor would open the hood and visually check everywhere he could see. Asked him about it once, and he confided that many cars had rodent damage and later blamed it on the dealership, so they were instructed to check.

I did have a rat/mouse eat some foam on one of my motorcycles once. It was in the garage and evidently the critter got in there somehow.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:57 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
Rodent damage must happen frequently.
It's due to what they use to make certain parts.

Try to get some of the special tape from Honda/Acura if you're having problems, or have a fox or coyote piss all over your engine bay.

Honda's Soy-Based Wiring Covers Irresistible to Rodents: Lawsuit - NBC News

Honda's Soy-Based Wiring Covers Irresistible to Rodents: Lawsuit

Environmentally friendly car wiring with a soy-based coating is too tempting for rodents to resist, according to a federal class-action lawsuit that demands Honda pick up the tab for the damage caused by gnawing mice, rabbits and squirrels.

The breach of warranty lawsuit, filed last week in Los Angeles and first reported by Courthouse News Service, results from the automaker's quest to "go green" by using soy-based biodegradable wire coating. The coating costs less than plastic but does have a downside, according to lead plaintiff Daniel Dobbs of Wyoming.

In the lawsuit, Dobbs alleged that he had to pay twice to have chewed-up wires in his 2012 Honda Accord replaced at a Honda dealership. The second time, he said, mechanics wrapped the wires in special tape intended to deter rodents, demonstrating that Honda is aware of the issue.

That means car owners should not have to foot the bill for the repairs, argues Dobbs, who was joined by Honda owners in Arizona and Texas in suing Honda.

(The automaker) has turned this defective soy-based insulated wiring into another source of income for Honda and its dealers by charging aggrieved vehicle owners for repairs or parts to deal with the adverse consequences …that Honda should have covered under warranty in the first place," the lawsuit says.

"I just picked up my 2013 Honda Accord from the dealer with almost $2,000 worth of work completed due to a wood rat eating a main harness," one dissatisfied driver said on a forum discussing the issue. "Then I find (that) Honda makes a shrink wrap tape specifically for the problem. Are you kidding me!!! Fix it from the start instead of putting the burden on us consumers."

This isn't the first time that the use of soy in vehicles has caused problems. In the mid-1940s, in an attempt to spare metal for the war effort, license plates in some states were made from compressed soy beans and fiberboard. Goats and cows were attracted to the vehicles and regularly chewed off the plates completely.

The soy-based wire coating also has been known to be appetizing. In 2013, the Los Angeles Times reported that rabbits had munched their way through soy-based wiring in cars parked at Denver International Airport.

"They come to the recently driven cars for warmth, and once they're there, they find that many of the materials used for coating ignition cables are soy-based. And the rabbits find that quite tasty," Wiley Faris of Arapahoe Autotek repair center told the newspaper.

Faris suggested a solution for anyone seeking to prevent their car from becoming a critter snack shack - coating the wires with fox or coyote urine.

"Predator urine is a good deterrent," Faris said. "That stuff can take care of the critter damage pretty quick."
Old 06-25-2016, 01:59 AM
Racer

My wiring is fine. My question was specifically to the cent intake and where a mouse could enter from. There are no holes large enough in the cowl.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
From what I've read, many of them can get through a hole about the size of a dime. Any cracks or holes that size?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wlkeel
From what I've read, many of them can get through a hole about the size of a dime. Any cracks or holes that size?
Nothing in the cowl area under the windshield
Old 06-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Mice can eat away rubber grommets, wire coatings, most anything to get at what they think might be food. Time is on their side.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think I would be more worried about what the mouse might leave behind like feces, urine, fleas/ticks, nest debris, food, babies, dead mouse carcass stick somewhere in the dash. Might be time for mouse traps and sticky mouse paper near the vehicle.

My co-worker's son got a mouse inside his dash of his 6 month old 350Z and he tried everything to get it out with no luck. He finally took it to the dealership and the tech took the whole dash apart and the mouse just wedge itself deeper into cracks. The tech figured it got stuck trying to get away and most likely the mouse will eventually die (and stink up the car). The dealership felt bad and decide to work with the bank and get him the exact same car with same monthly payments to replace the one with mouse stuck inside.

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-27-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Just had that happen to my 2012 TL. Dealer went ahead and cleaned and disinfected the vents and A/C unit just in case there was feces or other critter bits left behind. They are comfortable that the culprit is no longer in the car. Sure do hope so!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think I would be more worried about what the mouse might leave behind like feces, urine, fleas/ticks, nest debris, food, babies, dead mouse carcass stick somewhere in the dash. Might be time for mouse traps and sticky mouse paper near the vehicle.

My co-worker's son got a mouse inside his dash of his 6 month old 350Z and he tried everything to get it out with no luck. He finally took it to the dealership and the tech took the whole dash apart and the mouse just wedge itself deeper into cracks. The tech figured it got stuck trying to get away and most likely the mouse will eventually die (and stink up the car). The dealership felt bad and decide to work with the bank and get him the exact same car with same monthly payments to replace the one with mouse stuck inside.
Great dealer service.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I had the same thing on my TL. The wayward rodent ate a bunch of the cabin filter and left shreds of a mop that was hanging in the garage in the air inlet (outboard, thankfully of the filter). Evidently it was living the high life in the cabin air plumbing of my car. The dealer found it on a routine service visit and said it happens a lot.

Needless to say my garage is now peppered with mouse traps.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
Had my car in for the A1 service and a check of the cabin air filter showed an area that was chewed on by a mouse or other rodent on the intake side. How the hell did a mouse get into there? Evidently, there was no other damage and there was no mouse in there any longer.
Not only did a mouse get into the ventilation system of my wife's Highlander, despite depositing a large supply of seeds it apparently died in there. The car smelled like dead animal for a couple of weeks and when the smell started to go away, I sprayed a can of Lysol air freshener into the intake with the fan running full blast. That took care of the rest of the smell. Started putting mouse traps in the garage after that and haven't had a problem since. The traps have only caught 2 or 3 mice in several years.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Just had my 17 MDX in for service and they discovered the start of a mouse nest in the cabin air filter. Kind of boggles my mind how they even get in there. Ive never even seen a mouse around my home lol.