More Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
okay - so the button you said is an elect parking brake button - appears to have "IDS" printed on it - what does that stand for ?

and the button just to the left of the "phone" button below the center screen display what is that?

and this may be a dumb question - further to the right from the phone button says "audio front"and "audio rear" does that just shift the sound out put front and back? - would have thought would be a function you would get to from a menu on the display screen
IDS stands for Integrated Dynamics System. Basically this changes the steering feel and throttle response by toggling different drive modes (comfort, normal, sport).

Not sure what the button to the left of the phone button does...too blurry.

I'm guessing the audio front/rear buttons are for controlling the rear entertainment system?
The following users liked this post:
crxb (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
It appears to have 2 CD/DVD/whatever slots? Thats a foot operated parking brake on the left? Kinda looks like the base 4 banger model, no paddle shifters? Driver seat leather needs some work... but I do see a hole for the head up display, yuppiii!!

Still hate the almost vertical vents. Too many vertical lines, too many horizontal lines. Classy things don't need all these horizontal and vertical lines.

PS. Too bad they didn't install a cassette player to lure in all the 3G guys

Last edited by Tonyware; 04-03-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
IDS stands for Integrated Dynamics System. Basically this changes the steering feel and throttle response by toggling different drive modes (comfort, normal, sport).

Not sure what the button to the left of the phone button does...too blurry.

I'm guessing the audio front/rear buttons are for controlling the rear entertainment system?

you are right - rear entertainment system - that is what the lower dvd slot is for
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew
Actually, looks like they took the interior of the 2012 Sonata and transferred a lot of it here.
Originally Posted by seaguy
why not a big one like the one in Tesla, that will follow the trend.
LOL, should they copy or not? Don't you just know that if they went with one big screen people would complain... if they use two screens, people complain. Heck, people just complain. LOL
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
a35tl (04-03-2014), ggesq (04-04-2014), mr2core (04-04-2014), winstrolvtec (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Tonyware
It appears to have 2 CD/DVD/whatever slots? Thats a foot operated parking brake on the left? Kinda looks like the base 4 banger model, no paddle shifters? Driver seat leather needs some work... but I do see a hole for the head up display, yuppiii!!

Still hate the almost vertical vents. Too many vertical lines, too many horizontal lines. Classy things don't need all these horizontal and vertical lines.

Got too excited and didn't read the entire post (oh shootme). I guess that was the MDX. Still, I find the RLX more "clean", even with the 2 screens.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Too bad they didn't install a cassette player to lure in all the 3G guys
*LMAO* That was clever!!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Another pic from twitter...

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
Another pic from twitter...
Sorry for the repost, mods feel free to delete this
Old 04-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
Try these.... (wheels on the first picture are hideous)

I would have posted earlier but after seeing these wheels I couldn't get my head out of the toilet. Maybe these wheels were an April Fools joke??? Maybe they look better in person?

I think these wheels are the same ones we've been seeing, but at a distance you can't see the blacked out spokes. I have to admit they look better this in this picture. If they could have just done away with the blacked out spoke in the first place.

Originally Posted by weather
Well, just when I thought Acura couldn't make more uglier wheels....they pull it off!! At least they are successful at one thing: Pissing me off!!
I'm still queezy. I need to quit looking. But its kind of like driving by an accident, I know I shouldn't look but I still sneak a peek.

Originally Posted by VR1
The wheels on the second picture look decent, but the ones on the first car
seen in China, interior.
Actually I don't mind this interior at all. Looks decent to me. I'd take it. Obviously this is either a Tech or Advanced trim. I'm wondering if this shifter is the I4/8DCT and therefore this is the Tech. I was thinking the 9HP would have that push button shifter. I don't see perforated seats.. hoping this is different on the US trim.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 AM
2004 NBP ACURA TL

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the front collision warning light, I have it on my accord coupe.
Tonyware (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I would have posted earlier but after seeing these wheels I couldn't get my head out of the toilet. Maybe these wheels were an April Fools joke??? Maybe they look better in person?

I think these wheels are the same ones we've been seeing, but at a distance you can't see the blacked out spokes. I have to admit they look better this in this picture. If they could have just done away with the blacked out spoke in the first place.

I'm still queezy. I need to quit looking. But its kind of like driving by an accident, I know I shouldn't look but I still sneak a peek.

Actually I don't mind this interior at all. Looks decent to me. I'd take it. Obviously this is either a Tech or Advanced trim. I'm wondering if this shifter is the I4/8DCT and therefore this is the Tech. I was thinking the 9HP would have that push button shifter. I don't see perforated seats.. hoping this is different on the US trim.
The top screen on this car (from the interior pic of the Chinese TLX) looks a bit too small for it to be a navigation screen since the dashboard on top of the display unit doesn't go as high as the dashboard that's on top of the speedometer. At least it looks that way since this picture was taken outside the car. So this could even be a base TLX which I would assume has the dual screen layout as well, but not as big of a top screen.

Then on the current 4G TL, the wood/faux wood came only on the base and/or Special Edition models. Wouldn't totally mind wood on the TLX, but I guess I'm also willing to wait until the NY auto show to see what the whole car will look like.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Damn I hate uncovered cup holders, make the interior feel incomplete.
I glad I'm not the only one.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by dcdriver
The top screen on this car (from the interior pic of the Chinese TLX) looks a bit too small for it to be a navigation screen since the dashboard on top of the display unit doesn't go as high as the dashboard that's on top of the speedometer. At least it looks that way since this picture was taken outside the car. So this could even be a base TLX which I would assume has the dual screen layout as well, but not as big of a top screen.

Then on the current 4G TL, the wood/faux wood came only on the base and/or Special Edition models. Wouldn't totally mind wood on the TLX, but I guess I'm also willing to wait until the NY auto show to see what the whole car will look like.
We'll know in 11 short days.

These pictures show a little better real-world view of the car than the ones we saw a few weeks ago. Minus the crud left on the car from the camo. I think the external styling looks good to me and I think it will look better in person. The style lines are more pronounced here due to the lighting. You can see the same lines as the red prototype. I think this style will have much better broad appeal than the 1st 4G TL, and sportier than the TSX. Honestly my biggest disappointment with the exterior are these wheels. And I'm not even a 'wheel guy.' I've never bought after market wheels for any car I've owned. I think you should not buy a car for 30-40 grand and have to spend another 1,500 to replace the stock wheels.

I'm fine with the interior too. Unless you are designing a car for yourself there is always going to be something you don't like. But there are no show stoppers for me on the interior styling.

The remaining problems I have are that I can't get ventilated seats unless I option up to the V6/Advanced. Is that enough of a reason to pass? Won't know until I know the price and test drive the car. The other concern is being an early adopter of new drive train hardware and software.

But... we'll see soon enough and I expect some media test drive reports should be out soon after the NY show. Looking forward to it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
We'll know in 11 short days.

These pictures show a little better real-world view of the car than the ones we saw a few weeks ago. Minus the crud left on the car from the camo. I think the external styling looks good to me and I think it will look better in person. The style lines are more pronounced here due to the lighting. You can see the same lines as the red prototype. I think this style will have much better broad appeal than the 1st 4G TL, and sportier than the TSX. Honestly my biggest disappointment with the exterior are these wheels. And I'm not even a 'wheel guy.' I've never bought after market wheels for any car I've owned. I think you should not buy a car for 30-40 grand and have to spend another 1,500 to replace the stock wheels.

I'm fine with the interior too. Unless you are designing a car for yourself there is always going to be something you don't like. But there are no show stoppers for me on the interior styling.

The remaining problems I have are that I can't get ventilated seats unless I option up to the V6/Advanced. Is that enough of a reason to pass? Won't know until I know the price and test drive the car. The other concern is being an early adopter of new drive train hardware and software.

But... we'll see soon enough and I expect some media test drive reports should be out soon after the NY show. Looking forward to it.
Same here. Until I see the production car, and what's actually inse I'm tempted to go to NYC to take a look at the TLX as soon as it's out.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Rocket_man...I agree with you, but especially on the wheels comment. While I understand that I can't like the wheels of all trims, there should be at least one trim that has something sexy. I can forgive Acura for putting less desirable wheels on the base trim, that is technique to entice people to buy the higher level trims. Why spend 2k on accessory wheels when I can spend 3k on higher trim model AND have better wheels

I am still really curious to see what they will provide for bodykit. I would give ANYTHING to have a kit like the 2009-2011 TSX where it was a full bumper replacement rather than the added pieces. I can accept the "tacked on" pieces provided they flow well and not like the rear piece of the 4G TL. It worked decent on the darker colors but on the light colors, not so much.

And.....the BIG THING....as you stated so well will be the transmission and electronics in the car. Unlike teh days where things were electric (power seats, power mirrors, heated seats blah blah blah), not its more electronic/computer gizmos and that is what is biting most car companies in the a$$.

Lets not forget the "characteristic" sound of the rear reactive dampers, because we all know Acura feels that it great for their owners to drive a vehicle that have rear shocks that recreates the sound of shocks "bottoming out". They have spent years and years of engineering to get the sound "just right" to provide years of enjoyment of that sound for their owners....something few car companies have mastered so far....
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Wink

Originally Posted by dcdriver
Same here. Until I see the production car, and what's actually inse I'm tempted to go to NYC to take a look at the TLX as soon as it's out.
I am tempted to drive down there too just for the day! ~7-8 hours from where I am located, add another 2 if I stop at the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse LOL.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
...I am still really curious to see what they will provide for bodykit. I would give ANYTHING to have a kit like the 2009-2011 TSX where it was a full bumper replacement rather than the added pieces...
Amen! With any luck at all the prototype front and rear bumpers and side skirts will be the SH-AWD bodykit option.

As far as the wheels go, I typically go aftermarket just to add my "signature" to it.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Minus the rims, car looks better than in the 1st spyshots. Hoping the US version looks better and will have a nice bodykit option
Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
The rear end, which had been such a distinctive past feature, now looks like any number of generic Asian sedans--disappointing.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by randomRon82:
MuGen7Modulo (04-06-2014), ostrich (04-06-2014), Rocketsfan (04-06-2014), Rocket_man (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Not a good picture, but found this on instagram.... those awkward wheels again.

MuGen7Modulo (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Summer is Coming

Rocket_man...

Lets not forget the "characteristic" sound of the rear reactive dampers, because we all know Acura feels that it great for their owners to drive a vehicle that have rear shocks that recreates the sound of shocks "bottoming out". They have spent years and years of engineering to get the sound "just right" to provide years of enjoyment of that sound for their owners....something few car companies have mastered so far....
Maybe they just call this a new feature??? The Speedbump and Pothole Detector.

Thanks, those do look like different wheels than the ones with the blacked out spoke. These look much better. But the wheel gap is too big.

I wonder what the little opening is in the back side window? Seems they always want to leave a part of it uncovered.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I assume someone in the wheel design department is not getting paid enough so they're intentionally making the design ugly.
When you try to design for noise reduction, things get a little wacky. Look at the RLX Advance wheels...they'll never be more than "okay." But we have to think differently if we want that technology.

Originally Posted by holografique
I dunno, but from the looks of that third picture, (and assuming that's the US, cause it sure looks like US soil)...that front looks pretty much like the prototype, down to the aggressive "fangs" on the bottom section.
No production version has the canards as stock, substituting a more normal looking, gentle lip instead.

Not as bad as I thought but don't tell me that is wood?!?! Say it isn't so.....
It's, uhh.... *NOT* wood. :-)

Two big screens again?! why not a big one like the one in Tesla, that will follow the trend.
The trend? You mean the Tesla Trend? :-) The Tesla screen is so complicated and has so much on it at certain times that you cannot use it when the car is moving. If something goes wrong, you'll appreciate only having to pay for replacing one screen, too.

Originally Posted by crxb
okay - so the button you said is an elect parking brake button - appears to have "IDS" printed on it - what does that stand for ?
I wonder if TLX IDS will have magnetic dampers like the ZDX. That'd be neat.

Originally Posted by Colin
Heck, people just complain.
Welcome to the world of Honda forums, dominated by people who probably won't buy the car, but who feel empowered by their previous purchases.

:-)

It is the Acura curse. Since Acura is designed to keep Civic purchasers in some kind of Honda as they grow older, Acura will get hit from the current Honda tribe, the previous Acura purchasers who paid less, and from the Audi and Mercedes people who don't understand what's going on.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Thank you! These new photos really confirm several key things:

1. These rims are different from the ones that we saw before and they are quite nice indeed! (not those awkward ones though...)

2. The front bumper design for this trim (which I presume to be a higher level trim like SH-AWD Advance/Elite) does not include that ugly fog light - the horizontal line hopefully represents an LED strip!

3. The front turn signal by the headlights is clear and not amber - nice!

This particular trim looks good so far....... hopefully the others will not be too different!

BTW, what are those two bright dots in the corner of the front bumper?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

After seeing all these spy pics I can conclude that Acura is messing with us. These are leaked on purpose and the real thing is far from what we see. The wheels will be different, the bumper will be different, the interior different, you name it. Nice going Acura... 10 days of more torture ahead

PS. Don't be too surprised if you see retro type s wheels on the final product.
2004 NBP ACURA TL

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich

1. These rims are different from the ones that we saw before and they are quite nice indeed! (not those awkward ones though...)

these wheels look good, remind me of the sport wheel on the accord

2. The front bumper design for this trim (which I presume to be a higher level trim like SH-AWD Advance/Elite) does not include that ugly fog light - the horizontal line hopefully represents an LED strip!

how can you tell those are LED's if they are covered, my dealer already confirm the LED on the tlx is the same as the current mdx.

dude you must be blind, i can clearly see the amber reflector

This particular trim looks good so far....... hopefully the others will not be too different!

probably parking sensors
Suzuka Master

Well, to an extent, I do feel that the wheels on the above pictures are better than the other ones. I think we'll need to wait and see how they will look on the production car and on which trim level it will be coming on. The other wheels seen in these recent pics are GOD HIDEOUS....hopefully they'll never see the light of day.

I am really anxious to see the production car and put all this speculation to rest. I want to know whether I need to keep the TLX on my tentative list pending the outcome of the following factors:
1. Esthetic test (wheels, body, and accessories)
2. Winter test
3. Transmission test
4. Electronic test.

ONLY if all 4 pass that I will put money down on a TLX. In the past, I would have blindly ordered one no questions ask....now that my confidence has been rattled a bit, I am going to take a more educated approach. There are many good options out there and I will do my homework before just trusting the brand.

See Acura.....You can't assume that because you have been reliable in the past that you can put out products and not address these issues and expect people to follow time and time again. You really annoyed me with the way you guys handled the rear suspension problem and now.....I am cautious about you guys!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
See Acura.....You can't assume that because you have been reliable in the past that you can put out products and not address these issues and expect people to follow time and time again. You really annoyed me with the way you guys handled the rear suspension problem and now.....I am cautious about you guys!
With all due respect, no matter how good a brand is, you are only fooling yourself when you blindly just trust any company with their products. I don't care how solid their ratings and customer satisfaction is.

At the end of the day: it's your money and your decision and your satisfaction. You should ALWAYS treat any investment that way...simply because it's YOUR money. And as a result, you should always be doing your homework and doing the proper research to make sure you are as close to 100% satisfied on the decision you are about to make.

Obviously there are some things that can't be researched because some quality issues don't appear until you are mid-life with the product. But I think you get the point. I think the hardest part of doing research on a product is the decision to be the "first buyer" or wait it out for months (or years) to see how the quality stands up through other buyer experience. There is nothing worse than wanting a new toy and making yourself wait There are some aspects of the RLX that I believe could have been done better and will hope to see them in an MMC update. But I needed a new car, and I lease, so it's not my car anyways, so I figured why not? I'll jump in as a first buyer on a new model, I'm gonna be giving it right back to Acura anyways! And by that time an MMC should be out or I may step back down to the TLX and save me a couple hundred bucks a month on lease payments to get what appears to be shaping up to be car that offers "almost" everything that I can get in the RLX for less. And I do emphasize..."almost".

When you start treating any investment from the perspective of trusting NO ONE, whether it's a car, a house, a new computer, etc. etc. you'll find yourself becoming less and less disappointed in your decisions.

Last edited by holografique; 04-06-2014 at 12:12 PM.
rockyfeller (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Why no interior pics taken? Somebody got too excited and forgot about it I guess...
I'm sure will see more of these before NY.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich

Can't anyone walk up and snap a few photos of the interior of the damned car???!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Can't anyone walk up and snap a few photos of the interior of the damned car???!!!
Probably because its covered with toilet paper, just like the outside

Give it a week and we'll see "caught naked in the wild" pics somewhere...
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts

Give it a week and we'll see "caught naked in the wild" pics somewhere...
Tonyware, I am waiting anxiously for you to go to NYC to snap some photos for us on April 16, 2014, esp the interior ones...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Thumbs up

The Acura product people will be hanging out at the Spice Market Restaurant March 15-19th in the evening. South East Asian cuisine. Good choice

The rest of the schedule of NYC here: http://www.autoshowny.com/show/schedule

Acura will be at level 3. Problem is the Koenigsegg Agera R won't be too far... so who the hell would want to to look at yet another Acura? LOL.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope you are not implying that they covered it in toilet paper because it looks like shit, or is a turd *LMAO*
Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Holografique....all points well taken and I appreciate you taking the time to share your views and opinion. Let me just bring a few clarification to my post from earlier.

I would never normally blindly throw my hard earned money at a product or a company I had no knowledge about. I am extremely cautious with my money and partly why I am doing as well as I am doing today. That being said, I have been with Acura since 2005 and I have developed a trust in the brand by buying successive products time and after time, and some just brand new models like my 2009 TSX, and never had any issues. I did the same with my RDX and this is where I think the honeymoon ended for me. If Acura would have reacted sooner in fixing that stupid rear noise problem, I would have likely not be in the state than I am in now.

I am fully aware that no car is perfect but until now, Acura had almost convinced that they were as close to perfection as one can get. Again, this is based on my experience and I sure the guys who had the transmission problem several years ago would have disagreed with me.

So given on how much success I had with my Acura experience, my only concern for the TLX was based on styling and accessories but that was it. Now, I am not as "in love" with the brand and have been made to question my loyalty to them....That is not to say I will not get another one but rather than being an early adopter and feeling confident about it, I am now going to sit on the sideline and watch the feedback from other Canadians as they start driving the TLX next winter. Only then will I decide whether or not I want to give them another chance.

So never once did I mean to imply that I always proceed with purchasing on impulse and not do my research, but given the past experience I had with the brand, I would have normally felt OK in taking the plunge.

Like you, I lease my vehicles so at the end of the day, the vehicle do belong to Acura but it is annoying to be stranded with a vehicle when its unreliable. I doubt that Acura will have serious issues but I don't want to be acquiring another vehicle that sounds like it has no rear shocks....been there done that!

My saving grace is that I do not NEED a vehicle this year but WANTED one. I can keep my TL until next spring (in theory) which gives me time to evaluate the TLX. I could sell my TL sooner if someone really wanted it and then either be without a "nice car" till next spring, or sell my TL now and be forced to get another nice car but it wouldn't be the TLX as it wouldn't be available or tested enough for my liking...

I can't wait to finally see the production car though because if it is ugly, that will eliminate the TLX off my "wanting" list and then will proceed with other brand/model. If it does excites me, then I just have to wait for you guys to put it to the test and report back to me so I can make an informed decision.

Again...I appreciate your post, your articulate response and how polite people are here. It is always enjoyable to discuss cars with guys/girls that are as passionate as me, bring amazing points and all can all poke a little of fun at each other from time to time
holografique (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

I hope you are not implying that they covered it in toilet paper because it looks like shit, or is a turd *LMAO*
LOL... in a different microcosmos "turd" means something else...

BTW, I think Acura should hire a sexy Italian fashionista guy to do their interiors. Example:

(pick your jaw up off the floor, please)

Last edited by Tonyware; 04-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ WOW!!! Is all I can say! G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S....all except for that crest on the steering wheel. Man that is sweet......
Old 04-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^^^ and the analog clock! what is it with these car companies and the "analog" clock nowadays. lol
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
^^^ That is one beautiful interior. Simple, elegant with great lines.
Thinking designers nowadays are trying way too hard to come up with a winner.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Acura, please give us a red interior option.....

Quick Reply: More Spy Shots