Looking at TLX **UPDATE** Bought it!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Looking at TLX **UPDATE** Bought it!!

Hey everybody,

My 3G TL got rear ended last Sunday on the freeway and was considered totaled on Tuesday. I've been looking at the TLX and test drove a 2.4 on Wednesday. Now I'm considering the 3.5 because I can't imagine a DD without a v6...

I do have one question though.
Anyone here buy the rear seat covers? I have a dog and he will be riding in the car as soon as I get it and the rear seat cover option really caught my eye.

Also anyone have a white one with the optional LED fogs? It's an expensive option but I am considering it....
Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the rear seat covers. I have a black on black TLX v6 SHAWD Advanced. I also have a gf with two white dogs. :-\ She bought the seat covers for me actually. They are pretty easy to put on if you are decent at following directions and have good upper body strength.

They almost completely cover the rear seats entirely. There are only small holes for the seat belts to pass through. The surface seems similar to my softshell jacket but the body of the material seems like a thin wet suit. I haven't had any accidents/spills on them. I have had to carry the dogs a few times but the clean up is easy because I have a lint roller to grab the white hairs.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ what is the name and/or source of the cover you have?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
BWP with Fogs

Originally Posted by dezymond
Also anyone have a white one with the optional LED fogs? It's an expensive option but I am considering it....
Really sorry to hear about the accident, that is heartbreaking I know. So I got the SH-AWD as I had been lusting after that for years but didn't like the 4G look at all. I also added the fogs. From a functional perspective the additional light is barely noticeable because the headlights are so excellent, but they look great. If you are buying the car and plan to hold on to it for a while, I would do it.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HattoriHonda
I have the rear seat covers. I have a black on black TLX v6 SHAWD Advanced. I also have a gf with two white dogs. :-\ She bought the seat covers for me actually. They are pretty easy to put on if you are decent at following directions and have good upper body strength.

They almost completely cover the rear seats entirely. There are only small holes for the seat belts to pass through. The surface seems similar to my softshell jacket but the body of the material seems like a thin wet suit. I haven't had any accidents/spills on them. I have had to carry the dogs a few times but the clean up is easy because I have a lint roller to grab the white hairs.
I'd probably still use my dog seat cover right now, but I was looking at the Acura rear seat covers just as extra protection. I have a Golden Retriever and he gets pretty dirty when we go out on our ventures. Supposedly the rainy season is coming up and he gets pretty dirty at our local dog park too.

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Really sorry to hear about the accident, that is heartbreaking I know. So I got the SH-AWD as I had been lusting after that for years but didn't like the 4G look at all. I also added the fogs. From a functional perspective the additional light is barely noticeable because the headlights are so excellent, but they look great. If you are buying the car and plan to hold on to it for a while, I would do it.
Thank you for the feedback about the functionality of it. I haven't seen many TLX around here at night, but other Acura models (mostly the MDX) and their LED headlights are amazing.

I was thinking more of getting the fogs for the looks, to me it makes the TLX look more aggressive. I think they look great, but at almost $700 dealer option, that's a pretty good chunk of change for appearance. Though I suppose Half Moon Bay gets foggy enough where it would be functional

I was a bit heartbroken, still am tbh. I had that car for barely 16mo and it was a great car. I can say that my TL prevented what could've been much more damage, I was lucky enough to just come out with a strained neck from the whiplash and a bruise on my chin from my guess would be hitting the steering wheel (it happened to fast and I didn't feel it til I was out of the car). I want to stay in the Acura family and continue on with that 5-star safety rating because I can honestly say I think it really did save me, especially with the damage that my car sustained.

Last edited by dezymond; 10-26-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the rear seat covers installed on my TLX since my Pug and Flat Coat Retriever shed like crazy. They work great and mine basically attract the hair instead of it flying around inside the cabin. As for how difficult they are to install, I'm not sure because I had my dealer install them before I took delivery on the car. Plus if the pups ever have an accident in the car (luckily none yet, knock on wood), they told me that the covers are machine washable.

As for the fog lights, my V6 Tech obviously didn't come with them. But I'm not disappointed, the fog lights look fine but I think it detracts from the jewel eye headlights. I had an Advance as a demo and it provided basically no extra light on the road. They are nice fog lights though since they're LED.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Racer

I saw on your other thread about your TL being totaled and pictures of it, sorry to hear that. But disregard the comments about the transmission. I have the V6 model built in 03/15 and have no problems whatsoever with the transmission, or anything else with the car. I own a 3G TL and a TLX, and the TLX is definitely the better car considering all of its new technology. I'm sure you've noticed that since you said you have been looking at a TLX. I love the V6 in my TLX and the wheels it came with, but it's up to you to go with the I4 or V6. Good luck with the car search.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by atl7
I saw on your other thread about your TL being totaled and pictures of it, sorry to hear that. But disregard the comments about the transmission. I have the V6 model built in 03/15 and have no problems whatsoever with the transmission, or anything else with the car. I own a 3G TL and a TLX, and the TLX is definitely the better car considering all of its new technology. I'm sure you've noticed that since you said you have been looking at a TLX. I love the V6 in my TLX and the wheels it came with, but it's up to you to go with the I4 or V6. Good luck with the car search.
I'm not completely disregarding the comments about transmission, but I think it's a fixable problem. Much like the 3g TL which had it's issues with their transmission, I think the TLX is still a great car.

I test drove the I4, but right now I'm aiming towards the v6. My job requires alot of driving so I was considering the 2.4, but since the 3.5 isn't too far off in terms of mpg, and it can "disable" cylinders once at a cruising speed, I doubt I'd notice much of a difference in mpg. The 2.4 drove great, good power for DD, but no "ooomph". Once you get a v6 it's hard to go back to that I4....Plus it's not too much of a difference in price between the I4 and v6.

Last edited by dezymond; 10-26-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Racer

I'm not completely disregarding the comments about transmission, but I think it's a fixable problem. Much like the 3g TL which had it's issues with their transmission, I think the TLX is still a great car.

I test drove the I4, but right now I'm aiming towards the v6. My job requires alot of driving so I was considering the 2.4, but since the 3.5 isn't too far off in terms of mpg, and it can "disable" cylinders once at a cruising speed, I doubt I'd notice much of a difference in mpg. The 2.4 drove great, good power for DD, but no "ooomph". Once you get a v6 it's hard to go back to that I4....Plus it's not too much of a difference in price between the I4 and v6.
Yeah the wheels are a nice added bonus for the V6 too. I just don't think that the transmission issues these early build owners are claiming should chase someone away from this car.

My TLX V6 gets 37 mpg on average on the highway. Only thing I don't like about the FWD is how easy it is to peel out. Other than that the driving experience is great, the car feels really light on its feet. I'm sure you'll be happy whether you go with the 2.4 or 3.5, but it would really suck to get into a 2.4 and wish that you had gotten a 3.5. Just me, but I have no desire to get into a 2.4 after getting the 3.5. I totally feel that the $2-3k is worth it, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah the wheels are a nice added bonus for the V6 too. I just don't think that the transmission issues these early build owners are claiming should chase someone away from this car.

My TLX V6 gets 37 mpg on average on the highway. Only thing I don't like about the FWD is how easy it is to peel out. Other than that the driving experience is great, the car feels really light on its feet. I'm sure you'll be happy whether you go with the 2.4 or 3.5, but it would really suck to get into a 2.4 and wish that you had gotten a 3.5. Just me, but I have no desire to get into a 2.4 after getting the 3.5. I totally feel that the $2-3k is worth it, but that's just my opinion.
I was quite surprised by the response of the loaner I4 I had. It made me wish they had an advance option in that model because it was eager to go vs. the sluggishness of the V6 I had. The I4 would jump off the start, my V6 would yawn and wonder if I was really wanting to move from a stop...

My RLX is more like the I4 by being eager to go from a stop.

It sounds like I had the only V6 TLX in the world like that though by reading many comments here.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I can feel the sluggishness from the line (sometimes?) when in Normal or Econ mode. However, put the car in Sport or Sport + and its much more responsive. I'm sure Acura will figure it all out. I've taken to twitter to voice some concerns and I suggest the same thing. Acura does not want nor can it afford for this car to get negative publicity.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I was quite surprised by the response of the loaner I4 I had. It made me wish they had an advance option in that model because it was eager to go vs. the sluggishness of the V6 I had. The I4 would jump off the start, my V6 would yawn and wonder if I was really wanting to move from a stop...

My RLX is more like the I4 by being eager to go from a stop.

It sounds like I had the only V6 TLX in the world like that though by reading many comments here.
No that's how mine is too when I have it in eco mode and sometimes in normal. In sport it's much peppier. The car doesn't have a lot of low end torque which disappoints me. My 4G TL definitely has more pull off the line but at hard acceleration the TLX feels quicker to me, probably because it's lighter.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO, only when they change transmissions. The car should not be sluggish in any mode. To me, Sport and Sport + should only change shift points, not how the car starts from a dead, or worse yet, near dead stop.

I do hope they find a solution for those having problems though.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

And that really is my dilemma right now...

I did not drive the V6 that day I test drove the I4 because I didn't want to really sway my decision from the I4 just yet. I still have yet to drive the V6, but judging by just the numbers/specs, I wouldn't be saving all that much getting the I4 over the V6. Both use premium gas, both get great mileage, and the V6 costs just under $4k more, to me that seems like its worth the extra hp/tq. Couple the numbers with the fact that the V6 can run on 3 cylinders once I get to cruising speed and it's possible I could even see better highway mileage with the V6 than the I4. I was averaging just a bit more than 24mpg combined in my old TL, I imagine I could get about 28-30mpg with the 3.5 TLX.

I can honestly say 85% of the time I drive at a very relaxed and smooth pace, after all I was hit in my TL going 67/68mph in the slow lane. I really am in no rush to get anywhere, but it is nice to know that I have power under my foot when necessary and can have a bit more fun on the backroads when I want.

Maybe I'll stop by another Acura dealer later this week and try the 3.5.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
IMO, only when they change transmissions. The car should not be sluggish in any mode. To me, Sport and Sport + should only change shift points, not how the car starts from a dead, or worse yet, near dead stop.

I do hope they find a solution for those having problems though.
Yeah maybe it's due to the 9 speed that's a little sluggish from a stop? At 3000 rpms in my TLX it feels floaty but in my 4G AWD TL I feel immediate pull. So I wonder if it's the transmission or or the torque?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
I had the LED fog lights added my 2015 TLX i4 at the time of purchase. Honestly, I don't believe they add any additional benefit in terms of visibility at night. It's purely a matter of aesthetics.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bdwpac81
I had the LED fog lights added my 2015 TLX i4 at the time of purchase. Honestly, I don't believe they add any additional benefit in terms of visibility at night. It's purely a matter of aesthetics.
Agreed, but they do look pretty damn sharp on the car.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Having come from driving 4 cylinder TSXs, I found the 2.4 with the 8 speed transmission to be more than adequate when I test drove it. However, I decided that really wanted the SSM with light grey interior and with no 2.4s in sight at my dealer with that combo, I drove the 3.5 SH-AWD. Loved it and decided the SH-AWD would be useful in the great white north. That being said, I would have been happy with the 2.4 as well, and certainly a fair number of reviewers have suggested the 2.4 is the better choice.

Given that you are coming from a 6 cylinder 3G, I suspect you would not be happy with the 2.4. It might also come down to which transmission you are most satisfied with.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Having come from driving 4 cylinder TSXs, I found the 2.4 with the 8 speed transmission to be more than adequate when I test drove it. However, I decided that really wanted the SSM with light grey interior and with no 2.4s in sight at my dealer with that combo, I drove the 3.5 SH-AWD. Loved it and decided the SH-AWD would be useful in the great white north. That being said, I would have been happy with the 2.4 as well, and certainly a fair number of reviewers have suggested the 2.4 is the better choice.

Given that you are coming from a 6 cylinder 3G, I suspect you would not be happy with the 2.4. It might also come down to which transmission you are most satisfied with.
Yeah I decided one the v6....Not too big of a price difference for the extra power so I think it's worth it. Couple that with the great mpg it gets and it ended up being a no brainer....

I was on TrueCar yesterday and two dealers contacted me. One has the combo I want (White/gray) Advance package for $39,610 OTD. I then went to Edmunds.com and their price can get it down to $38,076 OTD, so they say...

Looking to pull the trigger soon, but my bank has a 7-day hold on my check deposit from my insurance on the 3G TL total payout

Last edited by dezymond; 10-30-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
You owe it to yourself to at least try SH-AWD before you buy. It is magic on curves. Plus, put decent tires (I love the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3s) on it, preferably with 19" wheels. Totally transforms the car.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow!!! 38k OTD for an advance? Take it and run. As mentioned above the AWD handles really, really well.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
You owe it to yourself to at least try SH-AWD before you buy. It is magic on curves. Plus, put decent tires (I love the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3s) on it, preferably with 19" wheels. Totally transforms the car.
I live in the Bay Area, I don't need the SH-AWD. I wouldn't go fast enough to even notice it and unfortunately my commute doesn't take me through any backroads
Old 10-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jswift2000
Wow!!! 38k OTD for an advance? Take it and run. As mentioned above the AWD handles really, really well.
According to Edmunds.com, yup. I am very close to pulling the trigger or at least getting a handshake deal done.

Unfortunately I don't have 80% of my downpayment because of the hold on the insurance check.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Welp the Edmunds.com price was for another dealer, but I'll see if another dealer will match for the color combo I want.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

$39,610.66 OTD for a 2015 TLX Advance. Fair price? This dealer is about an hour away
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Dezy did you test drive the SHAWD? I understand you don't need it but IMHO you should at least check it out.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
Dezy did you test drive the SHAWD? I understand you don't need it but IMHO you should at least check it out.
I did not. And I know it may only be a "few thousand" more than a FWD Advance package, but this is already more than what I was aiming to get. I was just looking at a Tech package, but this Advance package deal seems too good to pass up.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
a35tl (11-01-2015), ggesq (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Being that you live in the Bay Area of CA, the AWD is purely a performance add, not a practical one for mountainous bad weather (like me). Being CA, I would wonder how often you would get to exercise it with the traffic you guys have :-)
Old 10-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm in Southern Cal, so even less likely to "need" my AWD. But the drive is really nice and the Advance feature set a deal maker for me.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

$39,610. They don't budge. That's OTD price.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
'15 TLXs are going for such great prices now. I had to buy over a year ago cause I was coming out of a lease at the time and paid $33,212 OTD (got the car for invoice) for a base 2.4L. Would've waited a year for a better price on the base or upgraded to the Tech package if I had the choice. I'm in So Cal. $39,610 OTD for the 6 cyl Advance is so great !
Old 10-31-2015, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mcmdds1
'15 TLXs are going for such great prices now. I had to buy over a year ago cause I was coming out of a lease at the time and paid $33,212 OTD (got the car for invoice) for a base 2.4L. Would've waited a year for a better price on the base or upgraded to the Tech package if I had the choice. I'm in So Cal. $39,610 OTD for the 6 cyl Advance is so great !
Its pretty good. But the guy isn't willing to even show signs of negotiation.

I told him it's a good distance to his dealer. I told him if he did 39k OTD I'd do it. I told him I'm bringing in a friend interested in an RDX for crying out loud. Still won't budge.

We'll see, a closer dealer has the same car but espresso interior instead. I'll give them a shot.

I think since its the weekend they wanna see if they can sell it to someone else for higher.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Other dealer won't budge from their price, but I found one even closer who will beat that price. I may pull the trigger today....
Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner. I guess I don't get notices from this site. Re: the back seat covers, I have the Acura rear seat covers.

Acura.com rear seat covers

They retail for $275 but we got them through a friend that works for Honda and paid $160 fortunately.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

As of 4:30pm yesterday, I officially own a 2015 TLX Advance, white/espresso combo.

Car drives great and is very smooth. I tried the LKAS and ACC last night and couldn't believe it actually works. Not to mention this kinda Tech for the price.

Oddly enough today its raining here and raining hard so hopefully it handles well in the rain.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
As of 4:30pm yesterday, I officially own a 2015 TLX Advance, white/espresso combo.

Car drives great and is very smooth. I tried the LKAS and ACC last night and couldn't believe it actually works. Not to mention this kinda Tech for the price.

Oddly enough today its raining here and raining hard so hopefully it handles well in the rain.
Congrats on both the car and the rain - Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Congrats dezymond! Love your color combo. Enjoy.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the car !
Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Excellent and congrats! My second colour combo

Quick Reply: Looking at TLX **UPDATE** Bought it!!