Notices

Leaving the family

 
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Leaving the family

After 24 years, Iím finally leaving the Acura family. I was really hoping to wait for the new TLX, but the timing just didnít work out. Iíve been researching for the better part of two years and just kept coming back to the A4. I even considered the RDX, but I donít need a bigger car and the mileage just wasnít where I need it to be. I got what I thought was a good price for the A4 which is a premium plus with cold weather package and the BO sound system. My actual car will be delivered next week. Right now Iím going to hold on to my TSX with 160k and use it as a second car (if the insurance isnít crazy carrying 2 cars). If not I have a few buyers already lined up for it.

I will continue to follow all the Acura threads and maybe one day be back in the Acura fold. I have nothing but great things to say about my past purchases.





FLYGUY31 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM
  #2  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,244
Received 3,503 Likes on 1,766 Posts
A4 is always a solid choice. Congrats.
neuronbob is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
A4 is always a solid choice. Congrats.
Thank you!
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 AM
  #4  
I love spreadsheets.
 
Denali05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baton Rouge / Red Stick
Posts: 79
Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Good color choice too!
Denali05 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Denali05 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Good color choice too!
Thanks. I struggled with the choice. But it looked really sharp. Iím leaving a silver for another silver. Consistency at is best.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 01:49 PM
  #6  
I love spreadsheets.
 
Denali05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baton Rouge / Red Stick
Posts: 79
Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed. The virtual cockpit and Audi MMI system is one of the best features of the car, very usable as well. It will be quite a positive change, especially if you are coming from a 2nd gen TSX.
Denali05 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Thatís one of the best things about waiting almost 10 years for a new car. The tech is light years ahead of where it was (and getting even better). I rented an A4 last summer for 4 days in Tampa through Silvercar. So Iím not going in totally blind. Iím looking forward to learning all the ins and outs. The head unit was the biggest reason I had to move away from Acura. Even if the new TLX goes with the TTI, Iím not sure I would like it as much as the MMI.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Posts: 43
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice!! I left my TLX for an A4 and couldn't have been happier. Acura is good but Audi is amazing. Congrats
TLX17 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:27 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 590
Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Congrats! I am also eying an Audi as my next car (in 2021). While my TLX is solid, the infotainment / navi interface and, especially, the transmission behavior are a turn off.
I feel the same re: the TTI interface. I yet have to try it properly, but it if anything like the Lexus "mouse", it will be a deal breaker for me.
TSXV6Guy is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 AM
  #10  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,230
Received 1,222 Likes on 740 Posts
Congratulations, very nice car.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
ESHBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 736
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
Thatís one of the best things about waiting almost 10 years for a new car. The tech is light years ahead of where it was (and getting even better). I rented an A4 last summer for 4 days in Tampa through Silvercar. So Iím not going in totally blind. Iím looking forward to learning all the ins and outs. The head unit was the biggest reason I had to move away from Acura. Even if the new TLX goes with the TTI, Iím not sure I would like it as much as the MMI.
Congrats! I agree and when I move away from my TSX Tech pretty much anything will be a big jump, an Audi is on my list too.
ESHBG is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
After 24 years, Iím finally leaving the Acura family. I was really hoping to wait for the new TLX, but the timing just didnít work out. Iíve been researching for the better part of two years and just kept coming back to the A4. I even considered the RDX, but I donít need a bigger car and the mileage just wasnít where I need it to be. I got what I thought was a good price for the A4 which is a premium plus with cold weather package and the BO sound system. My actual car will be delivered next week. Right now Iím going to hold on to my TSX with 160k and use it as a second car (if the insurance isnít crazy carrying 2 cars). If not I have a few buyers already lined up for it.

I will continue to follow all the Acura threads and maybe one day be back in the Acura fold. I have nothing but great things to say about my past purchases.
I don't blame you at all. Many Acura owners have switch to Audi and there is a good reason for that. Congrats on your new car!

Did you check out the S5 Sportback? I am curious what you think about the A4 vs. the S5 SB. Thanks.
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 01:37 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
ESHBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 736
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
I don't blame you at all. Many Acura owners have switch to Audi and there is a good reason for that. Congrats on your new car!

Did you check out the S5 Sportback? I am curious what you think about the A4 vs. the S5 SB. Thanks.
I was wondering this also, the Sportback is right up my alley.
ESHBG is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG View Post
I was wondering this also, the Sportback is right up my alley.
I didn't drive the SB, but the back seat takes a little hit with the hatch. I also felt it was lower than the A4. I do like the look, but end of the day I don't need the extra space and the cost was a little higher. The A4 is so close in size to the TSX it just felt "right". I love the TSX's size...not too big and not too small. It's easy to drive. I felt the A4 is nice combo of sport and luxury. I really wanted to wait for the new TLX, but hearing it's still another year away, just put a damper on it. I usually try to keep my cars a long time (9 years so far with the TSX), but who knows. I'm not leasing and maybe in a few years I jump back to Acura. It's always been a great car for me.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Congratulations, very nice car.
Thank you!

FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
dmski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 147
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
TSX was a solid car for Acura, no doubt. Are you planning to keep the A4 for ten years as well? I wonder if Acura will ever get Audi customers jumping ship when the next gen TLX comes out. Not going to hold my breath on this one. Acura new car launches have been brutal lately and can't be trusted anymore especially when they will launch with an all new powertrain.
dmski is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Only time will tell how long I keep it. Audi reliability is getting better, but nothing will beat my TSX. Zero issues.
I have to think next TLX will be a winner. It needs to be. Yes the MDX and RDX are their bread and butter. But a brand with history and a legacy like Acura need a good sport sedan. All they need to do is look at their competition. I know people love a NA engine, but thatís not the norm now. They need to get with current trends which include a much better head unit which is a big let down in its current vehicles except the RDX.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 07:25 PM
  #18  
I love spreadsheets.
 
Denali05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baton Rouge / Red Stick
Posts: 79
Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
Thatís one of the best things about waiting almost 10 years for a new car. The tech is light years ahead of where it was (and getting even better). I rented an A4 last summer for 4 days in Tampa through Silvercar. So Iím not going in totally blind. Iím looking forward to learning all the ins and outs. The head unit was the biggest reason I had to move away from Acura. Even if the new TLX goes with the TTI, Iím not sure I would like it as much as the MMI.
Audi, in my opinion, has one of the best instrument clusters in the industry at the moment. I have the ability to configure the virtual cockpit with information that actually matters to driving without the clutter of needless information. I can appreciate the direction Acura is going in the new RDX, but I definitely wish for a larger LCD cluster so the information can be spread out. After driving a 2019 RDX loaner for a few days, I found it difficult to read information from the LCD screen and I wouldn't say my eyes are terrible.

Denali05 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 PM
  #19  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,088
Received 291 Likes on 260 Posts
Nice! You're still in the Acura family by having the TSX, plus you're alwayd welcome here!!!


Spoiler
At first, I thought the thread title said you were "leaving your family"...
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Nice! You're still in the Acura family by having the TSX, plus you're alwayd welcome here!!!


Spoiler
At first, I thought the thread title said you were "leaving your family"...
Thatís true! And lol. Thatís funny
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Denali05 View Post
Audi, in my opinion, has one of the best instrument clusters in the industry at the moment. I have the ability to configure the virtual cockpit with information that actually matters to driving without the clutter of needless information. I can appreciate the direction Acura is going in the new RDX, but I definitely wish for a larger LCD cluster so the information can be spread out. After driving a 2019 RDX loaner for a few days, I found it difficult to read information from the LCD screen and I wouldn't say my eyes are terrible.

That's an awesome interface. No doubt Audi has nailed it. I am still skeptical with Audi's reliability despite recent studies. Need another 5 years of consistent studies until I actually will buy one. But Audis are nice, well built, fun and refined.

I can still remember back in 2006, Acura had the best Nav headunit/software in the industry
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:08 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 590
Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
[...] i am still skeptical with audi's reliability despite recent studies. Need another 5 years of consistent studies until i actually will buy one. But audis are nice, well built, fun and refined. [...
+1!
TSXV6Guy is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
My a5 sb is a year old and I enjoy it a lot. I forgot I even had a tlx for 3 years.
BC01191980 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Congratulations! I also went from a TSX to an A4, and have been very pleased so far.

I also like the looks of the new 2019 BMW 330i, and will look at that when my lease is up later this year. Too bad Acura has nothing to offer to compete with Audi/BMW at this time regarding sedans.
cruiserchuck is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck View Post
Congratulations! I also went from a TSX to an A4, and have been very pleased so far.

I also like the looks of the new 2019 BMW 330i, and will look at that when my lease is up later this year. Too bad Acura has nothing to offer to compete with Audi/BMW at this time regarding sedans.
Thanks. The TSX has been a rock and still runs great. But Iím really looking forward to the new tech and having a more powerful engine. I went from the TL ( I totaled it) to the TSX, and it was hard getting used to itís lower HP. BMWs are nice. But for what I want, the cost just gets too high the way I would want it configured.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 PM
  #26  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,244
Received 3,503 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I’m looking at a RS5 Sportback as next daily driver, though I could “settle” for a S5 SB.
neuronbob is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM
  #27  
JT4
CTSV,Audi Q7&Allroad,TL
 
JT4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC / LI
Age: 53
Posts: 2,079
Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
I think I've already congratulated you on AW, so congrats again on the A4..
JT4 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Congrats. What a gorgeous new ride! The TSX was a nice little car, but this A4 will be like driving a space shuttle in comparison. Solid, comfortable and loaded with technology.
someguy11 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Thank you..I've only driven it for a couple hours so far since the weekend. I'm still driving the TSX until next weekend and it's transferred to my friend who bought it. The A4 is sweet and I'm looking forward to a lot of hours driving it. But one day, I could be back in the Acura fold if something really nice comes out...and I think that will happen.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 AM
  #30  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,088
Received 291 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
Thank you..I've only driven it for a couple hours so far since the weekend. I'm still driving the TSX until next weekend and it's transferred to my friend who bought it. The A4 is sweet and I'm looking forward to a lot of hours driving it. But one day, I could be back in the Acura fold if something really nice comes out...and I think that will happen.
Let's hope so!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:24 AM
  #31  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,431
Received 13,979 Likes on 10,384 Posts
wow! Audi's are beautiful cars!
Conrats OP!!!!
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Beached's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego
Age: 39
Posts: 31
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Beautiful spec. Having had a 2007 A4 and 2013 328i, I can tell you that youíll LOVE the turbo, acceleration and Audi infotainment. Congrats!
Beached is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:21 AM
  #33  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,088
Received 291 Likes on 260 Posts
Enough about the cars, did you leave your family yet?
Midnight Mystery is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Midnight Mystery:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (03-28-2019), hadokenuh (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 AM
  #34  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Enough about the cars, did you leave your family yet?
After this week, I just might!
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 05:36 AM
  #35  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,088
Received 291 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
After this week, I just might!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:01 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WA
Age: 48
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I did the same thing back in 2016, going from a 2005 TSX to an A4 Premium Plus. I'm just shy of 25K miles now and the A4 has been rock solid reliable so far. If something happened to the A4, I'd buy one again; it's been great.
drewba is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 PM
  #37  
CBP TLX
 
CybrRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 489
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Congrats! You made a wise choice getting an Audi over a TLX. I traded my TSX for a TLX a couple years ago. My TSX was rock solid. My TLX on the other hand has been to the dealership too many times for warranty services and now I'm dealing with more transmission issues. I used to believe in brand loyalty, owned a Honda/Acura since 1996, but my TLX is most likely my last Honda vehicle too... unless they come out with something that really impresses me.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 03-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.
CybrRdr is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 01:51 PM
  #38  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,984
Received 5,845 Likes on 4,686 Posts



I don't think you made an unwise choice
thoiboi is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wreak
Car Talk
27
04-20-2019 12:22 AM
suXor
Ramblings
30
02-05-2004 10:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaving the family


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.