AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Lease Deal on a new 2018 A-Spec - is it a good deal? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/lease-deal-new-2018-spec-good-deal-958830/)

Silvaccordex01 05-30-2017 08:16 AM

Lease Deal on a new 2018 A-Spec - is it a good deal?

I went to one of my local dealers, and worked up pricing for a new 2018 A-Spec AWD. 5K down, 10k miles per year for $535.46 per month for 36 months. Does this sound like a good lease deal?

jhb31 05-30-2017 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01 (Post 16027911)
I went to one of my local dealers, and worked up pricing for a new 2018 A-Spec AWD. 5K down, 10k miles per year for $535.46 per month for 36 months. Does this sound like a good lease deal?

Sounds ridiculous to me but maybe that's just me.

EosPhotog 05-30-2017 08:28 AM

What is the car value at the end?

AZuser 05-30-2017 10:53 AM

Does this sound like a good lease deal?

Seems like a horrible deal to me.

Jakes_tl 05-30-2017 10:55 AM

Good deal for them but horrible for you.

justnspace 05-30-2017 10:55 AM

I cant fathom $530-550 a month!
maybe it's cuz i'm poor. :sad:

GhostTL09 05-30-2017 11:27 AM

can't you get current tlx advance shawd for like $330 a month?

slimm1469 05-30-2017 11:47 AM

Dude, that is outrageous. As EosPhotog posed, what's the residual value of the car? That number critical to any lease. I'm a former Mercedes-Volvo sales guy. There are multiple ways a dealer can abuse you on a lease. The $5k down is the first element of b.s. PASS!

Kense 05-30-2017 12:06 PM

Never put money down on a lease and $5000 at that???? LOL

TacoBello 05-30-2017 12:11 PM

I'm curious, as I have never leased a car, but, at least from what I've seen- everyone always says putting money down on a lease is very dumb, yet I don't think I've really have seen many "0 down" leases myself.

I'm curious- is it realistically possible to negotiate the money down, down to 0?

the A-spec being new, I can't imagine Acura dealerships will let people drive away with zero down. So what is an acceptable price? What if you have two Acura dealers in town and neither is willing to budge? Then what?

iforyou 05-30-2017 12:14 PM

$5k down, $535/month for 36 months add up to $24k after 3 years.

I believe the A-spec AWD is $45k MSRP. It sounds like they set the residual pretty low man. I bet the TLX A-spec AWD at 30000 miles max would still worth $30k easily.

$30k + $24k = $54k. It's just some crude calculation but looks like they are trying to rip people off just because the A-spec is new.....

iforyou 05-30-2017 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 16028163)
I'm curious, as I have never leased a car, but, at least from what I've seen- everyone always says putting money down on a lease is very dumb, yet I don't think I've really have seen many "0 down" leases myself.

I'm curious- is it realistically possible to negotiate the money down, down to 0?

the A-spec being new, I can't imagine Acura dealerships will let people drive away with zero down. So what is an acceptable price? What if you have two Acura dealers in town and neither is willing to budge? Then what?

My gut feeling is that things are a bit different in the US. Like I see a lot of those $299/month, $0 down deals for 3 series, A4, C Class etc there, but nothing like that in Canada.

It just seems more competitive and things are in general cheaper down in the States...

I guess it's all about supply and demand. The two Acura dealers can try to stand firm with pricing, but if they both end up losing customers to other brands, then I'm sure their stance will change and will be more willing to negotiate. I'd give it 3 months before Acura dealers stop being so cocky..lol. The A-spec is a nice car for its price, but not nice enough that dealers can rip people off...

MTD 05-30-2017 12:59 PM

Im in the process here in Ontario. $0 down and I got $2500 off the MSRP. 0.9% lease rate also. This is for a 3.5 Elite A-Spec. I dont have the actual monthly and residual yet, still crunching numbers with the yearly k's and term.

There are deals to be had, but maybe its easier if you're a 3-4 car previous customer from the same dealer.

AZuser 05-30-2017 01:46 PM

Maybe the OP has bad credit? :shrug:

neuronbob 05-30-2017 02:57 PM

Does this sound like a good lease deal?

On the face of it, no.

However, without price of car, residual value, and money factor, these numbers are useless.

Could you provide further detail?

I'm thinking about an A-Spec lease as an option for me, so this has some personal relevance.

hadokenuh 05-30-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16028351)
On the face of it, no.

However, without price of car, residual value, and money factor, these numbers are useless.

I'm thinking about an A-Spec lease as an option for me, so this has some personal relevance.

Speaking of lease, how would you know the dealer gave you the legit residual/MF numbers? Is there a source we can rely on?

I understand the price of the car (cap cost) is negotiable.

Alex Duhovnik 05-30-2017 03:31 PM

Go to Edmunds forum and ask moderators.

Kense 05-30-2017 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 16028163)

You may not see it but you have to be up front and negotiate. I always go in and say I'm not putting any money down, unless they will do MSD (Multiple Security Deposits) That is essentially lending the dealership your money and at the end of the lease you get all of it back and it still lowers your payments as if it were money down. Putting money down and not getting it back as a way to lower a payment is ridiculous and you should just finance a car rather than lease it because you're not getting that money back it's pure profit for the dealer. The only thing you should have to pay for is , License , Registration, tax etc.

iforyou 05-30-2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 16028232)
Im in the process here in Ontario. $0 down and I got $2500 off the MSRP. 0.9% lease rate also. This is for a 3.5 Elite A-Spec. I dont have the actual monthly and residual yet, still crunching numbers with the yearly k's and term.

There are deals to be had, but maybe its easier if you're a 3-4 car previous customer from the same dealer.

Looking forward to seeing your numbers. Please keep us all posted!

Silvaccordex01 05-30-2017 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16028351)
On the face of it, no.

Hi

So numbers are...They are saying cost of car is $45750. They are giving me $500.00 dealer cash, and I would be putting down an additional $4500.00. They said residual value is 60% or $27450.00, there is a lease acquisition fee of 595.00 and license registration is 423.00. They gave a money factor of 0.00199. So with those numbers there coming back with a payment of $535.46. And my credit score is in the low 700's so they said i qualify for top tier lease.
With that payment, i would be paying a "rent charge" of $4958.64 which to me sounds very high over 3 years.

So to me, to get a better deal, it seems i need to negotiate a better money factor? They said they will not budge any further on price

Why is putting a down payment on a lease a bad idea? I'm just doing it to lower the payment, but is there a reason why i shouldn't? How do you do the multiple security deposits, so you get the money back at the end of the lease?

KeithL 05-30-2017 06:34 PM

Seems high. I pay $635 for 15 AWD Advance, no money down and 15K miles per year. I never put money down because I don't want any exposure to diminished value in wreck and I let GAP coverage protect my exposure.

Silvaccordex01 05-30-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by GhostTL09 (Post 16028105)
can't you get current tlx advance shawd for like $330 a month?

Yeah probably so, but most dealers are trying to get rid of current inventory so there's huge incentives on them right now. The new model has no incentives. Probably wont for at least 3-6 months or so. You may be able to find a dealer willing to go under MSRP, but good negotiation skills will be needed for that right now. I've called several dealers, even ones far away from me and most are asking MSRP and even higher with dealer mark up. None are bothering with me when i offer anything less.

AZuser 05-30-2017 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01 (Post 16028612)
. . . . even ones far away from me and most are asking MSRP and even higher with dealer mark up.

Acura dealers marking up a TLX? :spit: They must be :coke:

VR1 05-30-2017 10:55 PM

They're only giving you $500 off msrp on pricing? That doesn't sound like a very good deal. If you're paying $535/month with 4,500 down you could lease a much more expensive car for less. You can lease a $62,000 464hp Cadillac ATSV for 10k miles a year, $2,500 down for $510/month. The The $55k 360hp MB C43 with 10k miles/yr, 3k down goes for about $540/month. I don't see any point in not getting a discount on a '18 TLX and paying ATSV/S4/335i/C43 money which are in a different class for one.

mapleloaf 05-30-2017 11:04 PM

Putting money down on a lease may make sense under certain circumstances:

- Interest rate is a little high, and every 1k down will lower the monthly rate by over 23-25 bucks per month. - vs a 0% or close rate.
- You have cash now you can afford to put it and would not have the financial discipline to use it to help pay your monthly payments over the course of the lease - so you put it down upfront to lower the payment (again, depending upon the interest rate).
- You may want some flexibility to get out of the lease if you get bored or you don't need the car, or your income drops. A lower lease payment will make it easier to transfer the lease, subject to Acura's approval, to someone else who likes a short term lease for a relatively small payment.

Certainly there is no obligation to put any money down, unless your payment with 0 down would exceed your credit approval. as for the deal in question, without the 5k down, the monthly lease would be about $700 per month, which is certainly high if this is a US deal.

neuronbob 05-31-2017 01:24 AM

Definitely not a good deal especially with $4500 down. Don't do it. I'd walk.

I don't believe in money down on leases, either, whenever possible.

Dealer markup on any TLX? Watch 'em sit longer than a NSX 2.0, LOL.

Pens Fan 05-31-2017 06:40 AM

When a new or redesigned model first comes out dealers will not negotiate very much as they want to take advantage of the "pent up" demand. As a business you can not blame them for trying to maximize their profit when they can. For a better negotiating market you will need to wait a number of months as has been mentioned above. I also never put any money down on a lease since it is lost if car is totaled or stolen.

The reviews of the 2018 TLX, especially the A Spec have been very favorable. I look forward to test driving one myself.

mapleloaf 05-31-2017 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=Pens Fan;16028716]When a new or redesigned model first comes out dealers will not negotiate very much as they want to take advantage of the "pent up" demand. As a business you can not blame them for trying to maximize their profit when they can. For a better negotiating market you will need to wait a number of months as has been mentioned above. I also never put any money down on a lease since it is lost if car is totaled or stolen.

When I have put money down, I have insured it for a few bucks as part of my auto insurance.

Alex Duhovnik 05-31-2017 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01 (Post 16028487)
Hi

So numbers are...They are saying cost of car is $45750. They are giving me $500.00 dealer cash, and I would be putting down an additional $4500.00. They said residual value is 60% or $27450.00, there is a lease acquisition fee of 595.00 and license registration is 423.00. They gave a money factor of 0.00199. So with those numbers there coming back with a payment of $535.46. And my credit score is in the low 700's so they said i qualify for top tier lease.
With that payment, i would be paying a "rent charge" of $4958.64 which to me sounds very high over 3 years.

So to me, to get a better deal, it seems i need to negotiate a better money factor? They said they will not budge any further on price

Why is putting a down payment on a lease a bad idea? I'm just doing it to lower the payment, but is there a reason why i shouldn't? How do you do the multiple security deposits, so you get the money back at the end of the lease?

Money factor is not negotiable because it's fixed by Acura financial services, however, dealer can mark it up for extra profit. Ask about base money factor on Edmunds forum.
Also, it's not recommended to put down payment on lease because if the car is totaled or stolen you will lose these money. Roll it in a monthly payment and pay only first monthly payment and DMV fees upfront.

Speed_Racer 05-31-2017 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=mapleloaf;16028791]

Originally Posted by Pens Fan (Post 16028716)
When a new or redesigned model first comes out dealers will not negotiate very much as they want to take advantage of the "pent up" demand. As a business you can not blame them for trying to maximize their profit when they can. For a better negotiating market you will need to wait a number of months as has been mentioned above. I also never put any money down on a lease since it is lost if car is totaled or stolen.

When I have put money down, I have insured it for a few bucks as part of my auto insurance.

Is that considered GAP coverage? The edmunds lease forum were saying that Acura leases all come with Gap. Can anyone verify that? I assumed it was always extra.

Alex Duhovnik 05-31-2017 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=Speed_Racer;16029031]

Originally Posted by mapleloaf (Post 16028791)

Is that considered GAP coverage? The edmunds lease forum were saying that Acura leases all come with Gap. Can anyone verify that? I assumed it was always extra.

Confirmed. GAP insurance is included in every Acura lease.

neuronbob 05-31-2017 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16029031)

I currently lease a RLX and can also confirm that gap coverage is an Acura lease benefit. They also have some nice end-lease bennies in an attempt to keep you in an Acura at lease-end.

Alex Duhovnik 05-31-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16029067)
I currently lease a RLX and can also confirm that gap coverage is an Acura lease benefit. They also have some nice end-lease bennies in an attempt to keep you in an Acura at lease-end.

Can you clarify those benefits? I know about over-mileage forgiveness up to 7500 miles.

scooterb84 05-31-2017 03:37 PM

That's really high! Sounds like the finance guy picked some numbers out of the air... trust me they do that when a car is in high demand or they are just douches. I've leased all my Acuras with $0 down or first months payment and never came anywhere near that!

neuronbob 05-31-2017 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Duhovnik (Post 16029288)
Can you clarify those benefits? I know about over-mileage forgiveness up to 7500 miles.

They also forgive up to $1500 of damage at lease end, allow you to transfer up to 15,000 miles you haven't driven to a new lease, and forgive the $350 turn-in fee, if you lease or purchase another Acura within 30 days prior to or after lease turn-in. For me, the mileage transfer is particularly awesome since I've driven 12,000 miles below my contracted mileage. Even though I am thinking about moving on to another make, those features may keep me in an Acura, even if it is "only" a TLX.

paperboy42190 05-31-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Duhovnik (Post 16028797)
Also, it's not recommended to put down payment on lease because if the car is totaled or stolen you will lose these money. Roll it in a monthly payment and pay only first monthly payment and DMV fees upfront.

^+1
I'm an insurance adjuster and have totaled dozens of cars. I've only ever seen 1 instance where someone actually got any money back when the lease got totaled.

AZuser 05-31-2017 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by scooterb84 (Post 16029395)
That's really high! Sounds like the finance guy picked some numbers out of the air... trust me they do that when a car is in high demand or they are just douches.

Since the car isn't in high demand that must mean the sales guy was being a douche.

boe_d 05-31-2017 11:32 PM

If you can wait about 8 months my guess is they'll be desperate to get these things off the lot unless they reduce production significantly - which short of improving the car is the next logical step.

iforyou 06-01-2017 02:04 PM

I give it 3 months lol. By September, the "newness" will be worn off. Also, by September, dealers will start to get serious about meeting annual sales quota....so...more likely to have deals at that time. With such fierce competition in this segment, I doubt they can be firm on pricing for long.

comptr 06-01-2017 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
I give it 3 months lol. By September, the "newness" will be worn off. Also, by September, dealers will start to get serious about meeting annual sales quota....so...more likely to have deals at that time. With such fierce competition in this segment, I doubt they can be firm on pricing for long.

That long? You think by July their will be discounts?