JS+BRZ's brutally honest review of TLX

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
What a fucking idiot.
Thanks! I try so hard! Love you too

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by jeich182
Yes yes yes we know the 3G was a great car but move on already. Compared to a 2007, the nav. interface is ancient, touchscreen interface, bluetooth, USB, LKAS, BSM, ACC, P-AWS, SH-AWD, FCW, LDW, CMBS, AHA, IDS, Jewel Eye headlights, acoustic foam, DI engines making more power with better MPG, all the use of high-strength steel (and hot-stamping), next gen. ACE body structure, I could go on.......
None of which would convince any reasonable person to upgrade from an older Acura, much less move over from another manufacturer. Point proven, thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by CocheseUGA:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
What do you think the SH-AWD will give us that the v6 doesn't? I ask that question because in the 4G, the difference in my opinion is you jump up from a 3.5L to a 3.7L engine. In the case of the TLX, the power of the SH-AWD is the same as the FWD with PAWS. So, really cornering is the only difference I see. Normal driving is not going to show any true difference between the two. I'm anxious to see what the reviews will be on the SH-AWD.
Couple points. Despite the larger engine the FWD TL was faster in a straight line than the SH-AWD version. I've driven both twice as service loaners. SH-AWD added weight and extra drivetrain losses so more power didn't necessairly make it faster in the 4G, it was faster in corners because of the SH-AWD, not the engine.
Yes, I don't mind a 1/2 - 1 sec. loss in acceleration for the overall gain below. The SH-AWD weight differential is now only 150 lbs. and a better system, hydraulically activated vs. electronic.

FWD - in two 5 min. mall laps, from dry dead stops not quite full throttle I could spin the stock junk rubber. In the wet probably 1/2-2/3 throttle would spin. Felt like any other FWD with too much power up front which breaks traction, causing understeer and overwhelming the handling. Watching hot laps confirmed the same.

SH-AWD - no such problem, on takeoff ~30-40% power transfer to the rear, felt surefooted and composed. Track hot lap ride exhibited much less understeer, power down and go. In the wet I'm sure it'll be that much better. Yes, all aspects above apply to street driving too. So I signed for one w/ that little amount of experience.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 09-26-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
If you want a damn turbo do the research and put it together.

_Built_
Bought
I fixed your post for you!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
What I don't get is why disagreeing on a car can get someone so...worked up.

Stew4HD: Firstly, if you need to resort to that sort of PMing someone, seriously...lighten up. Everyone in here is entitled and allowed an opinion and just because someone (i.e. ttribe) does not share your opinion does not warrant the type of message you sent him...it's a freaking car. If you LOVE the TLX or whatever, great. It's passionate fans that the car brand IMO desperately needs when many critics (me included) feel that Honda/Acura are getting farther and farther away from the motoring enthusiasts' segment and into "good enough". In the end though, the thoughts and views of the "haters" are just opinions. It's not law...it's not something you need to get this angry over. So, consider this a fair warning and let's hope you don't resort to that again. Deal with any debate/discussion like a gentleman. Does not need to get personal.
QFT. This also applies to those of you that are chiming in....

Last edited by ggesq; 09-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
a35tl (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014), Stew4HD (09-26-2014), Yumcha (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
None of which would convince any reasonable person to upgrade from an older Acura, much less move over from another manufacturer. Point proven, thanks.
Safety, tech, powertrain, and there's the intangible improvements in NHV (which are massive). Point proven? You come across as a bitter clinger with that attitude. Put a 3G TL against the cars TLX will compete with in a professional review and it will show its age faster than you can say "new things suck".
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Safety, tech, powertrain, and there's the intangible improvements in NHV (which are massive). Point proven? You come across as a bitter clinger with that attitude. Put a 3G TL against the cars TLX will compete with in a professional review and it will show its age faster than you can say "new things suck".
I'm putting the TLX (or anything Acura has built in the last two years) against the competiion and find no compelling reason to stick with the brand. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be. I also don't know how much clearer it can be that Acura has a serious problem if they can't retain previous owners.
The following 4 users liked this post by CocheseUGA:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014), jwong77 (09-28-2014), ttribe (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Yes, I don't mind a 1/2 - 1 sec. loss in acceleration for the overall gain below. The SH-AWD weight differential is now only 150 lbs. and a better system, hydraulically activated vs. electronic.

FWD - in two 5 min. mall laps, from dry dead stops not quite full throttle I could spin the stock junk rubber. In the wet probably 1/2-2/3 throttle would spin. Felt like any other FWD with too much power up front which breaks traction, causing understeer and overwhelming the handling. Watching hot laps confirmed the same.

SH-AWD - no such problem, on takeoff ~30-40% power transfer to the rear, felt surefooted and composed. Track hot lap ride exhibited much less understeer, power down and go. In the wet I'm sure it'll be that much better. Yes, all aspects above apply to street driving too. So I signed for one w/ that little amount of experience.
You're absolutely right. The stock rubber is junk and it's a lot of power to put through it. My point simply was that adding power didn't make the 4G faster in a straight line, the power was only there to deal with parasitc losses and extra weight, and even so it didn't fully overcome those. My inferred point for the new TLX is we know the engine is underrated, SH-AWD weighs less, and presumably has less driveline loss, so no need to complain about the SH-AWD version not having an extra .2 liters or few HP.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
What a fucking idiot.
First of all, I happen to like "Stew". I've been on the forums with him for a long time and have met him in person, and I get his sense of humor. Buts let's go with your opinion that he is a ______ idiot. How is stooping to that level working out for you?
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
Gregg (09-26-2014), Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Value.

this is what we are arguing here.

Some find the TLX an absolute value, while others dont see the value in the car.

My at current price point, I dont see much value in the car, when other manufactures are doing bigger and bigger things than Acura.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
CocheseUGA (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014), Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Hot Ass!

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts
I, for one, don't want all that gadgetry that new cars have these days; all that leads to is distracted drivers (which I loathe). Give me a V6 coupe with a decent stereo and A/C, and I'm happy!
justnspace (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Value.

this is what we are arguing here.

Some find the TLX an absolute value, while others dont see the value in the car.

My at current price point, I dont see much value in the car, when other manufactures are doing bigger and bigger things than Acura.
I'm curious as to what you (and others) are basing that opinion on. I know an enormous amount about cars and I am trying to decide what to buy in six months when my current lease is up. Because I'll be buying and not leasing, I'm looking a lot harder at value because all the money will be coming out of my pocket as there is no equity from my lease.

From my standpoint, nothing comes close to the value of the TLX. But then, I realize that may be because of certain things that I require in a car that others may not care about (such as ventilated seats, top tier sound system and minimum performance in the 14 second/100 mph trap speed range.

I look at cars as you would a tool. There is a right tool for the job. For instance, handling may not be of the highest priority if commuting in rush our traffic is the primary use of a car. But if your commute involves the Tail of the Dragon (which I have been on a number of times) a really good handling car would be the right tool for the job.

Your thoughts?
The following 5 users liked this post by jjsC5:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014), justnspace (09-26-2014), Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I spent over a year researching my next car and concluded that you need to establish a priority list of your needs and wants, e.g. in no particular order
- size and capacity
- handling
- gas mileage
- reliability and cost of service
- dealership convenience
- style and appearance
- tech features

and then decide how much you are willing to pay. This path led me to the TLX V6 P-AWS Elite, and eliminated the SH-AWD.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

To be completely frank, I have a hard time seeing how the TLX outshines the Accord. I outfitted one as close as I could for $5k less, and IMB(rutal)O, the Accord is far better looking. There are a couple of things you can't get on the Accord, and there is intangible and tangible things that might make the TLX worth the extra money, but I have trouble seeing it.

If the TLX is for you, that's fine. Just don't get upset when longtime fans of Honda and Acura in particular wonder what the hell is going on.
The following 2 users liked this post by CocheseUGA:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
To be completely frank, I have a hard time seeing how the TLX outshines the Accord. I outfitted one as close as I could for $5k less, and IMB(rutal)O, the Accord is far better looking. There are a couple of things you can't get on the Accord, and there is intangible and tangible things that might make the TLX worth the extra money, but I have trouble seeing it.

If the TLX is for you, that's fine. Just don't get upset when longtime fans of Honda and Acura in particular wonder what the hell is going on.
And if it's not for you that's fine. Just don't get upset when TLX owners explain to reviews why they don't care about their OH SO brutal opinion.

Troll bait is still troll bait.
liquidh2o (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Also its funny that a user can be called an idiot and generally personally bagged on then when he tries to privately tell someone to fuck off he's the one in the wrong.

Troll bait...
Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
^ I think you mean exhaust tips? It does have dual exhaust.. just FYI.

I prefer not seeing the tips compared to what Lexus has done.. a trimmed opening in the rear valance panel.

Having exposed tips would be a nice feature though, as I think you meant.

Did hell freeze over? First sensible thing I've seen you post.

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't someone put small elbows on the end of the exhaust pipe(s) and attach tips? Acura has several nice OE rectangular tips that might work.

Originally Posted by acuranj18
Not sure I get the infatuation with turbo-charged engines. After having a turbo blow on an almost brand-new BMW 5 series several years ago, I got over turbos pretty quickly (and got rid of the car even quicker).
So when your auto transmission grenades, is your next car going to be equipped without one..

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'm curious as to what you (and others) are basing that opinion on. I know an enormous amount about cars and I am trying to decide what to buy in six months when my current lease is up. Because I'll be buying and not leasing, I'm looking a lot harder at value because all the money will be coming out of my pocket as there is no equity from my lease.

From my standpoint, nothing comes close to the value of the TLX. But then, I realize that may be because of certain things that I require in a car that others may not care about (such as ventilated seats, top tier sound system and minimum performance in the 14 second/100 mph trap speed range.

I look at cars as you would a tool. There is a right tool for the job. For instance, handling may not be of the highest priority if commuting in rush our traffic is the primary use of a car. But if your commute involves the Tail of the Dragon (which I have been on a number of times) a really good handling car would be the right tool for the job.

Your thoughts?
TIL your car is a tool..

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson once exclaim you are what you drive..
Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 AM

To be completely frank, I have a hard time seeing how the TLX outshines the Accord. I outfitted one as close as I could for $5k less, and IMB(rutal)O, the Accord is far better looking.
Amen.. At least Honda hasn't fked up the Accord line.
Catfisha (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Majofo

The Eagles did get back together. I do feel the love
Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

And if it's not for you that's fine. Just don't get upset when TLX owners explain to reviews why they don't care about their OH SO brutal opinion.

Troll bait is still troll bait.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Touche! I should have said "personal attacks in open forum".
Soooooooo, there is a difference between my willing to call you out in public vs you telling someone to die over a PM?

Do you sniff glue at work all day?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Amen.. At least Honda hasn't fked up the Accord line.
JS should go test drive an Accord EX-L and give a comparo. I bet all the negatives he listed would be largely corrected.

And that's a problem.
The following 4 users liked this post by CocheseUGA:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014), Majofo (09-26-2014), Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quandry
I spent over a year researching my next car and concluded that you need to establish a priority list of your needs and wants, e.g. in no particular order

- size and capacity
- handling
- gas mileage
- reliability and cost of service
- dealership convenience
- style and appearance
- tech features

and then decide how much you are willing to pay. This path led me to the TLX V6 P-AWS Elite, and eliminated the SH-AWD.

They actually call it that..

I'd love it if you wrote several paragraphs on how you came to the conclusion that the TLX outshines the competition in all the bullets you posted. Especially reliability and cost of service since it hasn't been in the market long enough to benchmark. Dealership convenience.. you mean Acura is closer to you than Toyota?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by poeycat
I have a 2012 RDX (1g) in black and the beak makes it look aggressive and it's a "chick magnet".
And you have discredited yourself.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
And you have discredited yourself.
It is a chick magnet though.. I saw several ladies looking at it while they applied their makeup.
Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

It is a chick magnet though.. I saw several ladies looking at it while they applied their makeup.
Obviously not like Corvette drop-tops, but those tend to skew a bit older.
Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by jjsC5

Your thoughts?

Look at Dodge.

I'm sure the mere mention will make you thumb your nose, but you might find yourself surprised at how much tech and luxury they are putting into their cars for the money. And the performance is there. reliable? I have 3 mopars, never had any major issues. There are other owners over in car talk, who have them as well, and I think they have all been having good owner experiences.

Want another? Look at Kia

My wife and I really like driving my in-law's base model optima...its a real funny and sporty feeling car.

The "reliable" gap amongst brands is closing. I no longer hold acura, honda, toyota as being any more reliable or trouble free than other brands these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
CocheseUGA (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:50 AM
The Third Ball

Also its funny that a user can be called an idiot and generally personally bagged on then when he tries to privately tell someone to fuck off he's the one in the wrong.

Troll bait...
My God Susan, you are a fucking broken record between this and the other thread.

Get a new song.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
RDX = chick Magnet
Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
JS should go test drive an Accord EX-L and give a comparo. I bet all the negatives he listed would be largely corrected.

And that's a problem.
That's actually a good idea.

TLX 2.4L vs Accord EX-L?

But judging from some retarded responses in this thread, I'm afraid doing my brutally honest comparo between Accord and TLX will get some of the trolls overly enraged and try to hurt themselves in front of their computers.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
and try to hurt themselves in front of their computers.
I read this as Im sitting here watching this week's episode of The League where Rafi and Dirty Randal keep trying to kill themselves and sucking at it
JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
People who defend the beak are the same kind of people that find Kim Kardashian attractive and no amount of cosmetic enhancement is going to make either of the two look good... also, Stew4HD sounds like a complete tool.
Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
People who defend the beak are the same kind of people that find Kim Kardashian attractive and no amount of cosmetic enhancement is going to make either of the two look good... also, Stew4HD sounds like a complete tool.
Thanks, Richard.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
I dont like the Beak but i'd do Kim Kardashian.

You honestly telling me wouldn't?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You honestly telling me wouldn't?
No....FUCK no...
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
Catfisha (09-26-2014), MeehowsBRZ (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Well you ain't Asian, you wouldn't understand.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:16 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Well you ain't Asian, you wouldn't understand.
What does being Asian have anything to do with some skank with an abnormally large ass, some sloppy fake titties (and I have nothing against fake tits), and a brain the size of a pea?
Catfisha (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
My God Susan, you are a fucking broken record between this and the other thread.

Get a new song.

WOW... WOW. This quote works for this ENTIRE thread. We are tired of hearing these bias acura has made nothing good since the 3G and I hate the beak because my daddy touched me with one when I was little.

Take your own advice for once. No one cares about your reviews or opinions, they are simply getting tired.

Last edited by usdmJON; 09-26-2014 at 12:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
a35tl (09-26-2014), Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
That's actually a good idea.

TLX 2.4L vs Accord EX-L?

But judging from some retarded responses in this thread, I'm afraid doing my brutally honest comparo between Accord and TLX will get some of the trolls overly enraged and try to hurt themselves in front of their computers.
I found the two cars imminently comparable on paper. I was surprised to see the Accord had more interior space and largely the same toy sheet.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Racer

That's absurd for no reason. Seriously, a 22 degree bend with an OE tip attached, why can't it be done? It might look good and solve the exhaust "issue" that's somehow significant enough to affect the car's spot in the marketplace according to some.

Quick Reply: JS+BRZ's brutally honest review of TLX