Interested in buying CPO 2017 TLX 2.4 w/tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in buying CPO 2017 TLX 2.4 w/tech

Hi all,
New user here. I'm interested in purchasing a CPO 2017 TLX 2.4 with tech package. Asking prices in my area (Toronto GTA) at Acura dealerships are going for $25-28k CAD with 40-60k km. Fairly open on colour choice, just not interested in parchment leather. First time buying a used car and planning to check out a few this coming weekend

-What would be a fair offer? Thinking $22-24k + tax (VMR and Canadian black book are posting $20-24k but not sure how reliable their estimates are)
-Reasonable to ask for snow tires to be thrown in? It's pretty much a necessity here in Canada and given winter is a slow selling/end of month (most TLXs have been sitting on autotrader for at least 4-6 weeks already)
-How can I make sure that the car has the TSBs and software upgrades done? I'm assuming it should be in the service records? Or do i need to bring an obd2 reader?
-Extended warranty needed? The 2.4/8dct powertrain seems to be fairly reliable without much issues, so CPO + remaining factory warranty would suffice for me
-Beyond the usual used car inspection and walkaround, anything particular I should look for on the test drive? eg. dct shifts, highway vibration, etc..
-Ebony vs espresso leather, any difference in upkeep, maintenance, wear and tear?

Thanks in advance! Hoping to join the Acura family soon!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by bear111
Hi all,
New user here. I'm interested in purchasing a CPO 2017 TLX 2.4 with tech package. Asking prices in my area (Toronto GTA) at Acura dealerships are going for $25-28k CAD with 40-60k km. Fairly open on colour choice, just not interested in parchment leather. First time buying a used car and planning to check out a few this coming weekend

-What would be a fair offer? Thinking $22-24k + tax (VMR and Canadian black book are posting $20-24k but not sure how reliable their estimates are)
-Reasonable to ask for snow tires to be thrown in? It's pretty much a necessity here in Canada and given winter is a slow selling/end of month (most TLXs have been sitting on autotrader for at least 4-6 weeks already)
-How can I make sure that the car has the TSBs and software upgrades done? I'm assuming it should be in the service records? Or do i need to bring an obd2 reader?
-Extended warranty needed? The 2.4/8dct powertrain seems to be fairly reliable without much issues, so CPO + remaining factory warranty would suffice for me
-Beyond the usual used car inspection and walkaround, anything particular I should look for on the test drive? eg. dct shifts, highway vibration, etc..
-Ebony vs espresso leather, any difference in upkeep, maintenance, wear and tear?

Thanks in advance! Hoping to join the Acura family soon!
I can't answer all of your questions, but having leased a 2016 2.4 Tech and now a 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec, I have a few insights/Questions

- Mileage?
- The 17 DCT should be smooth, but check the downshifts when braking slowly, advancing, braking slowly as you come to a stop. If smooth, no worries. I had a few jolty downshifts from 2-1 on my 2016 that disappeared after a software upgrade. My 2018 is also silky smooth, no updates required. That 2.4 and the 8 DCT is a very nice combination, which is why I got out of my 2015 3.5 SH-AWD Tech.
- Definitely ask for the service records to verify any software updates.
- There should be no highway vibration unless of course you are driving at a high speed into a fierce headwind....but that's not real vibration. I drove 1500 km from Winnipeg to Minny and back at close to 80 mph much of the way and it was a joy, with power and torque for passing. Definitely take it for a good spin, highway and city.
- Price wise, depending upon the mileage, the remaining warranty, and the condition of the car, considering that a new 2018 is listed on the site for $42K, $23-$25 would be good prices. If you can get snow tires thrown in AFTER agreeing on a reasonable price, good for you. With rims and sensors, that"s usually a 2K+add, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Perhaps a discounted price for the tires would be a more realistic way to go, but I guess it depends how hungry they are and what they paid for the car.
- I had Expresso leather on my 2016 and I did love it. It wore well for the 2.5 years I had the car, no different than black leather cars I've had.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
bear111 (01-22-2019), CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ What he said.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I can't answer all of your questions, but having leased a 2016 2.4 Tech and now a 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec, I have a few insights/Questions

- Mileage?
- The 17 DCT should be smooth, but check the downshifts when braking slowly, advancing, braking slowly as you come to a stop. If smooth, no worries. I had a few jolty downshifts from 2-1 on my 2016 that disappeared after a software upgrade. My 2018 is also silky smooth, no updates required. That 2.4 and the 8 DCT is a very nice combination, which is why I got out of my 2015 3.5 SH-AWD Tech.
- Definitely ask for the service records to verify any software updates.
- There should be no highway vibration unless of course you are driving at a high speed into a fierce headwind....but that's not real vibration. I drove 1500 km from Winnipeg to Minny and back at close to 80 mph much of the way and it was a joy, with power and torque for passing. Definitely take it for a good spin, highway and city.
- Price wise, depending upon the mileage, the remaining warranty, and the condition of the car, considering that a new 2018 is listed on the site for $42K, $23-$25 would be good prices. If you can get snow tires thrown in AFTER agreeing on a reasonable price, good for you. With rims and sensors, that"s usually a 2K+add, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Perhaps a discounted price for the tires would be a more realistic way to go, but I guess it depends how hungry they are and what they paid for the car.
- I had Expresso leather on my 2016 and I did love it. It wore well for the 2.5 years I had the car, no different than black leather cars I've had.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Mileage for the cars I'm looking at range from 40-60K kms and come with CPO. Will definitely plan on taking the test drive onto the highway and local driving.

For tire setup, I guess I'm just looking for a cheap winter solution to hold me off for next couple of months. Likely will be getting new set of all seasons during the spring anyways.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Best of luck! Let us know how it all turns out.