If it wasn't a TLX, what would it have been?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
If it wasn't a TLX, what would it have been?

My TLX has been a nightmare. After a week at the dealer last week, it still wasn't fixed, bringing the time at the dealer to more than 6 weeks in almost 4 months since purchase. I'm getting close to a buyback, working with the dealer and Acura.

What I'm curious about is what was your second choice? Had you not bought a TLX, what would you have purchased, and what were the reasons you considered that vehicle and what were the reasons you ended up purchasing your TLX instead?

I'm trying to decide what to look at and whether or not I should even consider a 2016 TLX, assuming that's a viable option (availability, color, model, etc) at a viable price. I've got some other cars in mind that were my second or third choices originally in November, but curious to hear from others.

If it were you, would you consider a 2016 TLX, given a bad experience?

Last edited by neil0311; 03-20-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
For me it would have been the Lexus IS350 F sport.
Great seats, handled very well, quick and I loved the interior.
Decided on the 16 TLX SHAWD Advanced because it's my Wife's daily driver and she felt better in it because of our age apparently. The IS looks more racy for some old farts to be driving in. Also it didn't hurt that the Acura was several of more thousand dollars cheaper.
So far after 500 Miles we are really happy with the car and don't expect any issues
Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I'd get a C400 or S4. But it's too much money at the moment. For what I paid for my 16 TLX, no one can beat its value.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Spending that much time in the shop you obviously got a lemon. Stuff Happens.

If the lemon soured (no pun intended) you on the TLX start from scratch in your price range & decided what you like best.

In reality 99% of the cars you get from any manufacturer are going to be OK but a lemon from any brand is a reality. Just bad luck.

I would not bail on the TLX because of bad luck in drawing the car you have. Unless you will be nervous about a purchasing another one long term I would keep it on the list.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
On the US side, a 340i with little options. Difference in lease rates with a TLX is not much. Here in Canada, they are rather important. A TLX V6 is practically $300C/month less than a 340i and this is a great car that I can live with... for now.

Last edited by Saintor; 03-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
neil0311....I have been a HUGE Acura guy and bought several vehicles in the last few years but the TLX's transmission problem kept me away this time. I will likely return to the brand but I need to be convinced they have solved their issues before I commit.

So after my 2012 TL, I got a 2015 Lexus IS350 F Sport and while I am not here to praise the vehicle because it is not the place to do so, suffice to say that I am quite happy with mine. Is it a perfect car....No, which car is?!? Has it been a reliable car so far - Absolutely.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
For my budget I would have gotten a 4th gen TL. My dad has an 09TL and I love it. Hes jealous of my TLX.

Not a fan of the Lexus IS. Outside styling is nice but I dont like Lexus infotainment system as much as Acura (half my family owns Acura the other half Lexus)

Whats wrong with your TLX? Maybe get another one?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Tlx?

Well I don't have the TL and I've been wanting to pick up the TLX but I can't get past its interior and exterior look. I am considering the Infiniti Q50S AWD or the Mercedes C450 AMG 4matic. However, I'm holding out to see if they change the 2017 TLX look or in 2018. By then, I'll want to replace my TL so really hoping Acura makes some design changes.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I only looked at AWD sedans so the choices were limited to TLX, Buick Regal, Lincoln MKZ, and Subaru Legacy.

The Germans were not on my radar because, although I'd love one, they're just too expensive.

I went to the Acura dealer first due to past good luck with Hondas and just never made it to any of the others. Still like the looks of the Regal but, they're due for a redesign soon. That was a factor in my thinking as well.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceLandry1
For me it would have been the Lexus IS350 F sport.
Great seats, handled very well, quick and I loved the interior.
Decided on the 16 TLX SHAWD Advanced because it's my Wife's daily driver and she felt better in it because of our age apparently. The IS looks more racy for some old farts to be driving in. Also it didn't hurt that the Acura was several of more thousand dollars cheaper.
So far after 500 Miles we are really happy with the car and don't expect any issues
That was me too, I heavily test drove (including taking one home for a day) the Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport. Because I live in Canada and the 2015's were already sold out when I bought, AWD was the only option. Starting in 2016, both Lexus and Acura no longer offer the IS350 or the TLX V6 in anything but AWD, and that was actually a big part of my decision. I'll elaborate for neil0311.

Points in favour of the TLX SH-AWD Elite (model I bought) over the IS350 AWD F-Sport, in arbitrary order:

1. The IS350 has an AWD differential hump right where my right calf is. I have heavily muscled legs and my calf kept striking that hump every time I went to press the gas. It was getting uncomfortable after only 15 minutes in the car. For me it was a huge issue.

2. SH-AWD simply blows away whatever AWD system Lexus is using on the IS350. There's no contest here.

3. ELS sounded better than the Mark Levinson system in the IS350, despite having fewer speakers, for the music I listen to.

4. The TLX seats were more comfortable for me. I found the IS350 to have overly curved-in shoulder areas and I have a wide back (I'm quite short - about 5'7" on a good day, and tank-like so a lot of seats don't feel good for me). As a result, the IS350 made me push my shoulders forward a bit. It wasn't as big a deal as the differential hump, but the TLX seats were way more comfortable to me. As a side note, my dad has a 2015 ES350, and the seats in the ES are far more comfortable to me than the IS350 F-sport seats. By a wide margin.

5. Price, price, price. Optioned out, the highest trim of the IS350 was almost CAD$10k more than the TLX SH-AWD Elite (which is the highest trim for the TLX here, and I only buy cars with all the features). Even the base price of the IS350 is the same as the AFTER TAX price of the highest trim of the TLX. $10,000 is a lot of money, even if it is Canadian dollars. Plus Lexus were less willing to budge on the price.

6. Speaking of trim levels, there were some odd choices Lexus made. For example, why oh why is the heated steering wheel not available on the F-sport Series 3 package? Acura seems to just add features as you move up in trim levels, not have a separate branch of packages that require you to choose A or B, not A and B. There are a few other examples of this for the IS350 for features I wanted. The TLX Elite also came with some cool stuff not even available on the IS350, like automatically controlled heated/vented seats, and turning on the heated seats and heated steering wheel when you remote start, which is built in. I love those, never have to touch the controls. The TLX also had heated rear seats and the IS350 didn't.

7. The IS350AWD only comes with the shitty 6-speed automatic as opposed to the great 8-speed automatic the RWD comes with. I had the pleasure of driving a 2015 version with the RWD on my first test drive and it was a much better transmission. That one unfortunately sold and the Lexus dealer said they really only ordered like 95% AWD anyways. The 6AT felt slow and lazy vs the 8AT. There are times when the 9AT in my '16 TLX takes awhile (ie: downshifting from 9th to 4th), but other than those situations, the 9AT in the TLX is a much faster shifting transmission for individual, single gear changes, and it has a better ratio spread (and better ratios too, 1st gear is great!).

8. The IS350 seat material is Nuluxe as far as I know. It felt great on a warmer day when I test drove, but on my 3rd test drive it was very cold outside (-20°C), and the seat material felt rubbery at that time. My TLX doesn't feel that way. The Nuluxe in the IS350 may be more durable in the long run, though.

9. TLX had notably lower levels of wind and road noise.

10. The TLX blew away the IS350 in real world fuel economy. I'm still amazed by the numbers I'm getting with the SH-AWD both in city and highway conditions. Not even a contest here. I went on a 2-hour identical test drive route with each car, and the IS350 uses about 20-30% more fuel under those conditions. The TLX fuel economy is simply insane on the highway as well, I do better on the highway than my brother does in his 2007 Civic (and the 2016 Civic beats them both, and so does the I4 TLX).

11. The TLX has more room inside and I think a better designed dash look.

12. Steering wheel controls in the TLX were much better. The scrollwheel is incredibly useful.

13. TLX had better cup holder locations. I know this is silly but it's true. The IS350 has stupid cupholder placement.

14. Size. The TLX is a car that fits my needs size-wise. The IS350 was a little bit small overall.

Points for the IS350 AWD F-Sport over the TLX SH-AWD Elite, in arbitrary order:

1. The suspension of the IS350 is more sporty by a notable margin. It really handles corners surprisingly well with very little body roll. The TLX has some body roll but it's not bad (much tighter than an Accord, for example). But the IS350 is in a different league with sporty suspension. And it wasn't harsh either. Although the TLX did have a nicer ride in the end, and Alberta is mostly flat anyway, so it wasn't as big a deal to me as it would be if I lived in BC or something where there's mountains everywhere to carve up.

2. Tires, tires, tires! OMG Acura what the fuck is wrong with you when you pick tires?! The Goodyear LS2's are quite literally the worst tire I've ever ridden on. They give up SO easily. This was such an issue that I told the Acura dealer I wasn't buying the car unless they put different tires on it for me as part of the negotiation on the car. I got Michelin X-ice xi3's on right now as a result, and even those winter tires handle FAR better than the LS2's. Fuck those tires. Lexus uses a much better tire. I never even drove at all on the LS2's. Going to try to sell them (yeah good luck to me), and buy a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's for summer.

3. The IS350 had a better, more responsive infotainment system, but I didn't like the mouse thingy or the tiny little screen.

4. The IS350 has beautiful gauges! The TLX's are simple and clean, but the IS350's are something else. I really loved those TFT gauges Lexus used in the F-sport version.

5. Sporty looks. The IS350 definitely looked sportier inside and out.

6. Higher quality trim pieces in some places.

7. Nicer door cards in the IS350.

8. The IS350 had a much wider and better selection of colours available. I would have gone with Atomic Silver with the red interior if I bought one. Acura has never offered very many colour choice and I think that's a fault they have.

Originally Posted by Chef Ray
Well I don't have the TL and I've been wanting to pick up the TLX but I can't get past its interior and exterior look. I am considering the Infiniti Q50S AWD or the Mercedes C450 AMG 4matic. However, I'm holding out to see if they change the 2017 TLX look or in 2018. By then, I'll want to replace my TL so really hoping Acura makes some design changes.
Holy shit man. That's one hell of a price jump (emphasis mine in the quote)! If you're looking at cars like the C450 AMG, you have a lot of options in that price range.
The following 4 users liked this post by youngTL:
9SpeedTran (03-21-2016), elroy (03-31-2016), NBP04TL4ME (04-02-2016), weather (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I don't have a TLX right now but am in a holding pattern for the 2017 version. However, that new Audi A4 is really starting to get my attention. Three Acura's in (2005 TL, 2006 RL and current 2012 TL-SHAWD), I would like to stay with Acura via the TLX, but Acura seems to be in a holding pattern with regards to direction. Audi, with the A4, seems to be pushing all my buttons at the moment.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Gs350 f sport
Old 03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Gene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on how much sport/performance you want- Q50, ATS, Regal or IS.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would save my money and purchase an Accord, Subaru WRX, or VW Golf GTI/R, or splurge and go Audi S3/A4, Lexus IS350 F-Sport, Infiniti Q50S, or BMW 340i. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

youngTL...That was a well written post and I appreciate that you gave some areas where you felt the IS350 did better than the TLX.

A couple of things:

1. I agree with the hump but for me, it can't even feel it but I am quite slim (by my avatar) so I strongly encourage people to go and see if the hump will be an issue.

2. With respect to the 8 speed versus the 6 speed....I never had a chance to test drive the 8 speed so I have nothing to compare it against. That being said, I have test driven the TLX several time now and for me, the 6 speed in the IS less irritating than the 9 speed in the TLX. Now, I have to confess that I never test drove the 2016 and it may have improved, so I reserve judgment. The throttle response on the TLX was way too laggy to me on the TLX. Between the IS, the TLX and my 2012 TL, the 2012 TL was my favorite with its throttle response and transmission behavior.

3. I agree about the ELS...Acura has a much better audio system than Lexus....by a long shot!

4. Seat comfort....Again, this is so dependent on body type but for me, I much prefer the seats/cockpit layout of the IS over than of the TLX. I find the TLX seats too wide/flat for me...Now again, my 2012 TL was just amazing in that department!

5. Fuel economy on the TLX is much better than that of the IS....My IS is almost pretty much on par with my former 2012 TL.

6. Finally, you are correct about the price. Acura is offering some pretty good discounts on the TLX (not sure if that is a good thing or not...what is that saying?) but when they came out, the price difference was noticeable but not as much as today....My lease payment (all things being equal) is only 50$ more a month for my IS over what the TLX with the body kit would have been.

That's about it....but again, great post and very informative for people considering both vehicles. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by weather
youngTL...That was a well written post and I appreciate that you gave some areas where you felt the IS350 did better than the TLX.

A couple of things:

1. I agree with the hump but for me, it can't even feel it but I am quite slim (by my avatar) so I strongly encourage people to go and see if the hump will be an issue.

2. With respect to the 8 speed versus the 6 speed....I never had a chance to test drive the 8 speed so I have nothing to compare it against. That being said, I have test driven the TLX several time now and for me, the 6 speed in the IS less irritating than the 9 speed in the TLX. Now, I have to confess that I never test drove the 2016 and it may have improved, so I reserve judgment. The throttle response on the TLX was way too laggy to me on the TLX. Between the IS, the TLX and my 2012 TL, the 2012 TL was my favorite with its throttle response and transmission behavior.

3. I agree about the ELS...Acura has a much better audio system than Lexus....by a long shot!

4. Seat comfort....Again, this is so dependent on body type but for me, I much prefer the seats/cockpit layout of the IS over than of the TLX. I find the TLX seats too wide/flat for me...Now again, my 2012 TL was just amazing in that department!

5. Fuel economy on the TLX is much better than that of the IS....My IS is almost pretty much on par with my former 2012 TL.

6. Finally, you are correct about the price. Acura is offering some pretty good discounts on the TLX (not sure if that is a good thing or not...what is that saying?) but when they came out, the price difference was noticeable but not as much as today....My lease payment (all things being equal) is only 50$ more a month for my IS over what the TLX with the body kit would have been.

That's about it....but again, great post and very informative for people considering both vehicles. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments.
Thanks, I feel it could help people out. I would say HEAVILY test drive both to anyone buying, that's the biggest thing. Some things might be unlivable for some people (like the 9-4 downshift time in the TLX, or the diff hump in the IS350).

The 2016 doesn't have any throttle response issues. I push the gas, and the throttle responds immediately (the 2015 didn't respond as fast). It DOES have a power disconnect when you shift through 8th or 5th gear (or worse, both), but that's because of the tranny design, and I think a lot of people mistake that for throttle response. Although for some that time is not livable.

I would say it comes down to preference and price between those two vehicles. Like I said, I very nearly bought the IS350. I agonized over the decision for about TWO MONTHS, lol. It kept me up at night until I finally pulled the trigger on the TLX. Both are very good cars.

And yeah, the hump will NOT be an issue for most average people, especially people who tend toward the thin side of the spectrum as opposed to either muscular or fat. For reference I'm 185 lbs at 5'7" which is definitely on the bigger side for someone at my height (ain't fat though!). But size does matter when it comes to choosing a car. I feel if I was taller, the TLX would be too small and and I'd have to buy a larger car.

And yup, as far as price goes, there wasn't much choice for me. Neither one of them was really willing to negotiate that much since I bought just as the 2016's of both models were coming out and all that were left for 2015's of either were the 'unwanted' colours. I specifically wanted either blue (for either car) or Atomic silver (for the IS350), no other colours would do it for me. MSRP is $47,790 for the SH-AWD Elite model of the TLX, and $54,500 for the IS350 F-Sport similarly equipped, although Lexus is offering $2k off the F-sports right now.

Last edited by youngTL; 03-20-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by catbert430
I only looked at AWD sedans so the choices were limited to TLX, Buick Regal, Lincoln MKZ, and Subaru Legacy.

The Germans were not on my radar because, although I'd love one, they're just too expensive.

I went to the Acura dealer first due to past good luck with Hondas and just never made it to any of the others. Still like the looks of the Regal but, they're due for a redesign soon. That was a factor in my thinking as well.
Lexus offers a few AWD sedans, notably the IS and GS, although the GS is fairly pricey. The base GS is about the same price as a fully loaded IS.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by edmua6
I'd get a C400 or S4. But it's too much money at the moment. For what I paid for my 16 TLX, no one can beat its value.
Ditto !
Also I was looking (almost got it) to SQ5.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
This will sound weird, but I only seriously considered the new Hyundai Genesis and the Mazda 6.

Each persons case is different. I have a Mazda Miata (great roadster) and we have a Cadillac 2.0T ATS (great sport sedan). I was getting a little tired of my Lexus IS250 (anyone else ever have the new car bug?), and also wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable. I really liked the new generation Genesis, but it was a little too large. Loved the Mazda 6, but a bit too noisy and harsh (great drivers car though).

Didn't want the German luxury cars, nor another Lexus (fine brand though), and had not seriously considered Infiniti (don't know why).

The TLX just seemed to meet our criteria - right size, quiet and comfortable, and decent looks, performance and gas mileage. I don't really view it as a luxury brand, just a premium car manufactured by a dependable and quality car company. We also have the Miata and ATS, so the TLX seemed to fill the void for a mid-sized, quiet/comfortable, dependable sedan.

As I said, each persons case is different.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ So refreshing to read a post where someone acknowledges that people are individual and that one brand doesn't fit all! Thanks!

With respect to the "new car bug"....I thought the itch of hemorrhoids was bad....It's nothing compared to the new car itch!
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
wlkeel (03-21-2016), youngTL (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Probably an Accord. The TLX was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the car definitely justified the price. So much better than the Accord...
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I saw a 2016 Accord Touring today. They are sharp looking cars. I would definitely consider it if only they were all-wheel drive.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL

4. The TLX seats were more comfortable for me. I found the IS350 to have overly curved-in shoulder areas and I have a wide back (I'm quite short - about 5'7" on a good day, and tank-like so a lot of seats don't feel good for me). As a result, the IS350 made me push my shoulders forward a bit. It wasn't as big a deal as the differential hump, but the TLX seats were way more comfortable to me.
Don't the powered bolsters extend down into the IS series?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Interesting time when this post came out. I test drove the TLX (twice), Q50 and IS350 F Sport (twice) and just closed a deal on the IS yesterday.

I agree with most points youngTL states, almost a little is not accurate. The 2016 IS FSport Series 3 I'm getting does have heated steering wheel. In Calgary, the price of the IS350 FS3 was about $7k CDN after AB taxes for me.

In the end, both are good cars. I test drove multiple 15's and a 16 TLX and the 16 was definitely much smoother from 2 to 3, and the shift logic was pretty good although downshifts and throttle lag is quote poor compared to the Q50 and IS.

The way I see it, IS FSports are a more sporty car, while the TLX is a comfortable fuel efficient highway cruiser with more room, especially in the rear. The price/value factor for the TLX is unbeatable. They're fundamentally very different cars (FWD based chassis vs. RWD with available sports and adaptive suspension), an it's reflected in its handling. I think they appeal to different buyers.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
SH-AWD simply blows away whatever AWD system Lexus is using on the IS350. There's no contest here.

....problem is that the IS still handle much better than the TLX SH-AWD, no comparison (and yes, I know, tires do play a part too) where the 4G SH-AWD was an excellent handler.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would've been an Altima fully loaded
I had a 02 Altima, and was very reliable until I totalled it...
The other option was a Genesis Coupe..
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
free advice OP - get away from the TLX. If you're anything like me you'd still be wary every time you got in a brand new TLX, just waiting for the same problems to happen. That goes for any brand, once a car treats me wrong, I'm out! As for your question, I went Hemi Power!!! TLX was a complete letdown for me, especially after the initial concept looked so good, but sadly the production fell very short of my expectations.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
IMO, the 2016 Nissan Maxima has the most content for about the money as a TLX.

Standard Nav, panoramic sunroof, frant and rear parking sensors, around-view camera, front-facing and right front wheel cameras, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, 300hp, bling spot monitoring, intelligent cruise, etc., etc.

Yes, it has a CVT, but it's said to be the best one ever made, and it gets excellet reviews. (And no 2-3 shift clunk. )

This will probably be my next car.

The following users liked this post:
n-spring (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
IS 350 Fsport
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
free advice OP - get away from the TLX. If you're anything like me you'd still be wary every time you got in a brand new TLX, just waiting for the same problems to happen. That goes for any brand, once a car treats me wrong, I'm out! As for your question, I went Hemi Power!!! TLX was a complete letdown for me, especially after the initial concept looked so good, but sadly the production fell very short of my expectations.

......people considering the TLX as their next "sport sedan" owe to themselves to take a new Charger RT Road & Track for a spin first....few weeks ago with a friend of mine in the process of replacing his car we tested a fully loaded one ($39K sticker)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
IMO, the 2016 Nissan Maxima has the most content for about the money as a TLX.

Standard Nav, panoramic sunroof, frant and rear parking sensors, around-view camera, front-facing and right front wheel cameras, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, 300hp, bling spot monitoring, intelligent cruise, etc., etc.

Yes, it has a CVT, but it's said to be the best one ever made, and it gets excellet reviews. (And no 2-3 shift clunk. )

This will probably be my next car.

...it's selling even better than the TLX.....
Old 03-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by loulinjai
The price/value factor for the TLX is unbeatable.
I would like to understand why it's "unbeatable" when nowadays you can get a mainstream sedan with similar specs, sometimes better tech and less money....if anything, I think that the major TLX problem is that the traditional Acura value is not longer there....

They're fundamentally very different cars (FWD based chassis vs. RWD with available sports and adaptive suspension), an it's reflected in its handling. I think they appeal to different buyers.

Totally agree...
Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
depends on what price range you're willing to look at. For me I was hoping to stay in the upper 20ks to low 30ks (USD). Coming from a 3 series that I owned for almost 10yrs and I loved it.
Cars I looked at:
Mazda 6 GT - I had a 2016 as a rental and I was thoroughly impressed by it for a low priced family sedan. fully loaded I was getting internet offers of 27k and under for a new one. Was very tempting as I love the styling, interior design, and handling. The engine was a bit underpowered if you care, and the cabin noise is definitely much higher than the TLX, much closer to my e90 3 series (after having driven it a 160k miles though lol).

Infiniti Q50 - Great engine, I like the looks with the sport package, rear drive layout that I tend to lean more towards. Was looking predominately at 1yr old ones as infinitis depreciate a lot in the 1st yr. Wasn't a fan of the infotainment and ultimately leaned towards TLX b/c of better rear seat room for baby seats etc, more fuel efficient choices etc.

preowned 5-Series/A6/GS350 - Great cars! lot to like about all 3 of those, huge upgrade in materials quality, depending on the drivetrain you select you end up with a combo of great highway cruiser as well as reasonably precise/fun to drive midsize sedan. Upgrade in terms of looks and refinement over the previous cars I mentioned as well as the TLX IMO. (don't hate me lol). Reasons I didn't get one is because it would still be in the mid to upper 30s for something that still has a warranty and isn't too old, and coming from BMW ownership for a daily driver maintenance costs are massive on german luxury brands and even on my wife's previous Lexus it was starting to get pricey although the Lexus reliability is far superior (in most cases lol). And seeing as how I'm looking at/saving for an M4 or Cayman as my 3rd/fun car I couldn't justify spending the money on a daily driver that I'll have to put a lot of money into when I'm definitely going to have to do a ton of that with that 3rd car.

Nissan Maxima (new) - Interior is great! Drives really well, throaty V6, for a CVT the transmission isn't terrible. Materials on a nicely equipped model are very good for a Nissan and I was more impressed with the Maxima SR I drove (interior wise) than the Q50 Premium I drove. Of course the Q50 drove better/sportier. Cons for me personally were as follows: even though it's a "good" CVT, I still hate the way CVTs drive lol... and I'm not a fan of the exterior styling, particularly the front 1/3rd of the car. Felt bigger to drive than the TLX partially b/c of smaller sight lines.

Hyundai Genesis - Big comfy luxury car, while not having some of the niceness of the germans/Lexus in base trim, once optioned out it is a fantastic highway cruiser. Looks premium from the exterior alone, interior with ultimate package is really good. Handles better than you'd think it would for such a large car. Ultimately I didn't go with it b/c I felt a lot older driving it (silly reason I know but hey different strokes for different folks), and it was on the higher end of what I was wanting to spend on this purchase, unless I got the base trim (which I wouldn't b/c it lacks a lot of features I was used to). Hyundai dealers were offering crazy incentives like 8k off MSRP when I was looking.

There are a lot of great options out there! It's unfortunate you got a Lemon, i'm about 10k miles in on my TLX and haven't had a single problem, it's driven great, my biggest complaint is with the terrible choice of tires Acura used on this car, the Accord comes with better tires. If I were in your shoes I too probably wouldn't go back to a TLX, but if you're willing to give it a shot I'm certain you'll end up with a good car that'll last.

Last edited by E90 Skye; 03-21-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I actually considered really stretching for a Tesla Model S, but at the time they were RWD only, which is not safe in the Mid-Atlantic region if it is your primary car. Even now, the Tesla AWD is reputedly oriented towards speed rather than handling. So I saved myself a life of being indentured to Tesla and went with the TLX.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Gs350 f sport

Agree, the GF350 F Sport would be my pick for a reliable ride with a bit of sportiness. I have owned 6 Honda/Acura vehicles but sadly there is nothing in their current line up (exception may be the Accord), which I would purchase. My next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota/Lexus product.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm not the biggest fan of the TLX styling- I think it's just much too "held back". But in comparison, I'd pay for 1 new TLX over getting a dozen free Maximas. I think they are butt ugly.

I really can't stand what Nissan did with the "C" pillar. Oddly enough, I really like it on the new Lexus RX suv. Go figure.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm not the biggest fan of the TLX styling- I think it's just much too "held back".
Totally agree with this. Acura could've done so much more with the TLX rear end. The front is sexy, but the rear seems small and dated. But hey this is coming from someone who switched from a 4G TL to a ZDX.

Depending on what Acura does to the TLX refresh, I may consider buying one. But with so many competitive non-luxury/premium options (Accord Touring, Mazda6 GT, Maxima), that's highly unlikely. Hell, I'm even liking the new Civic Touring. I'm starting to get bored with the poor fuel economy and dated tech in my ZDX.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 03-21-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I looked at a 2014 535i and a 2014 TL, I bought the TLX because it had 14 miles on the odometer compared to 14k, lol. The car is very nice and refined, but kind of goes against the whole precision crafted performance talk. The one thing that will get me into MMC TLX is a nicer interior. The TLX interior is a huge disappointment, I'm tired of seeing the cheap soft (hard in some spots, like where you knees hit) plastic all over the interior. It seems like all other brands are using stitched leatherette for their dashboards and other spots, and it makes the cars feel very luxurious. Mainstream brand interiors keep on getting nicer and nicer, whereas Acura seemed to regress with the TLX interior. It's drawn a very close line between mainstream interiors and the TLX's. Next car will either be a Cadillac or Lexus if Acura doesn't do something with the inside of the TLX.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:24 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this, but if you really did get a Lemon your best bet might be to work with Acura to get you into a 2016 as compensation. Your chances of getting 2 lemons in a row are really really slim and whatever brought you to the TLX in the first place would be there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-22-2016), Stew4HD (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
1st Choice : Infiniti Q50 -- but its release was an electronics disaster
2nd Choice : Cadillac ATS-- saw too many nagging issues
3rd Choice : Acura TLX -- wish I could've waited; I doubt I would've bought this after the garbage transmission issues I have had.
4th Choice : Lexus IS 350 -- wish I could've overlooked the design and crappy mileage.

Ah well, I get to play the game again in a few years...

Quick Reply: If it wasn't a TLX, what would it have been?