I need some help PLEASE

Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 PM
sbl
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help PLEASE

Hi

I'm Steve and live in Florida. And I always thought the Acura was a nice car. I am getting a car but I need some genuine input. I don't know why people are bashing the new TLX. I think it is a nice looking car. My options are the A-Spec, the Genesis G80, or ES350. Just some questions I have:

Are you happy with your Acura?
Any problems? I see that people are complaining about transmission and/or vibration.
Is it a quiet ride?
Is it a comfortable ride?

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Hi Steve

I own a 2015 TLX advanced. The problems this vehicle has had are minor and Acura has stood up to fix everything including adding a 10 year unlimited mileage on the transmission heater, etc. I consider driving my TLX like flying a plane on the ground. It's a fantastic feeling. I've owned lots and lots of cars. For the price, it is a very good bang for the buck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crashmaster:
miner (11-30-2017), sbl (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:26 PM
sbl
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 995 Likes on 569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a topic/technical issue which will require replies, and not a "New Member Introduction", I moved this thread to the model specific forum.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl
Hi

I'm Steve and live in Florida. And I always thought the Acura was a nice car. I am getting a car but I need some genuine input. I don't know why people are bashing the new TLX. I think it is a nice looking car. My options are the A-Spec, the Genesis G80, or ES350. Just some questions I have:

Any problems? I see that people are complaining about transmission and/or vibration.
Is it a quiet ride?

Thanks for any input.
1) Move out of Florida
2) Those who still have their TLX are happy with it. Those who got rid of their TLX for something else are happy with what they have now.
3) Yes. As you listed, it's mainly the transmission and engine vibration. I remember seeing Apple CarPlay/Android Auto issues too. Some don't mind, for others these are major issues. You should test drive it to find out if it's right for you
4) Yes. But you should test drive it to find out if it's right for you
5) Yes. But you should test drive it to find out if it's right for you

Last edited by AZuser; 11-27-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
As indicated above, many people reported transmission and vibration issues, primarily for the 2015 and 2016 V6 models. The transmission issues appear to be fixed, but some people are still reporting vibration issues for 2018 models, and Acura is reportedly unwilling/unable to do anything about it. Consumer Reports rates the TLX's reliability as much worse than average, which is pretty shocking for a Honda product. I drove only Acura's for almost 25 years, but due to the reported problems with the TLX, I leased an Audi A4 last year, and have been very pleased with it.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Go for a test drive. See if they’d be willing to let you keep it overnight so you can have more seat time with it.

You might hate it. But then you might not.

The TLX V6 A-Spec is the pick of the litter, if you ask me. Good luck with your search!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The problems are known & generally a good dealer will step up if one appears on your new car. Same will hold true on the other brands. Most new cars now a days are pretty much trouble free.

Take a day & drive all three back to back for an hour or so not just a quick ride around the block. Eliminate one then redo the other two to get the one you like the best. The cars you drive will most likely be demo units. If you settle on a car & are choosing one from the lot take the one you are actually buying for a ride. Leave the radio off & listen carefully when you drive it. Also be sensitive to any lurches or vibrations. If all is well take it home.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2018 TLX A-Spec FWD and am very pleased with the car. No transmission issues or vibrations. I find the TLX to be quiet and comfortable, but it does feel connected to the road. It does not float across the road and the bumps...you will feel them as you would in an Audi or BMW. Perhaps the non-A-Spec models offer a more comfortable suspension/wheel+tire package? The A-Spec is not jaw-jarring or kidney-killing by any means, but it does feel tighter than my old 2005 Acura TL.

One thing to be aware of regarding the SH-AWD V6 models... the engine turns off automatically at a stop light (unless you disable this feature every time you start the car!) The SH-AWD models are also the ones most associated with vibration at highway speeds, I believe.

Good luck in your car buying decision!
The following users liked this post:
slimm1469 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 2017 V6 FwD tech. With just about 3000 miles, it is growing on me. As I mentioned else where, TLX takes some time to get used to and it learns your driving habits over time as well. I like the car a lot and I have a lot of fun driving it, more than I did with cars I had before which were more expensive and were known for "smooth ride".

From what I've learned, the transmission issue mainly happened in the 2015 model and the vibration is mainly with some AWD models... You should definitely carefully test drive, but don't mind the negative comments you read here. I was shocked and distressed by them when I first joined this forum a few days after buying the car. It got the point that I was even thinking about trading it back in right away (I know how crazy that sounds). You get the moral... Anyway, good luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea disabling the auto turn off on the SH-AWD every single time you start the car gets old real fast
Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl
Hi

Is it a quiet ride?

Thanks for any input.
1. Yes I am happy with my Acura
2. Recently have felt the rough 1-2 & 2-3 gear shift in my 2015 TLX. I brought it in and will be picking it up tomorrow to see if the update they applied will have smooth things out.
3. Yes, very quiet. Except for the damn stock Bridgestone tires, damn these things got loud. Can't wait to swap them out.
4. Yes, very comfortable. I feel the seats in the new 2018 models are better as they provide more cushioning and support, but the seats I have are comfortable as well.

Minus my recent transmission issue, it's been a fantastic car for the whole 34k+ miles I put on it. I look forward to many more years and many more miles of it.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a little over 3,000 miles on my car and still definitely happy with my purchase (2018 TLX SH-AWD Tech). I'll be the first to admit that I am a Honda/Acura fanboy, but that's not to say that I'm not disappointed with Acura and the direction it's going in. But I was in the market for a new car due to an accident and I'm really happy with my purchase. The TLX isn't perfect but it's a great bang for your buck. Performance could be improved and the interior is dated but it's a good daily driver with sufficient performance when you want it and the interior is still very functional especially with carplay/android auto.

I have driven the 2015 and 2018, and the 2018 transmission is way better than the 2015. It's still not the quickest shifting but it's definitely smoother. As for the vibration, I have some vibration at around 70-75mph but it's not consistent and it's not bad. I do notice my passenger seat belt vibrating when there's no passenger but drive wise you can't tell and no passenger has every said anything. However, I do think it's luck of the draw though. I test drove 3 different TLXs at 3 different dealerships and I noticed the vibration on one of the three (didn't end up purchasing that one). I would definitely ask them to at least let you test drive it on the freeway and push it up to 70-80mph to see if you can feel it.

Is it a quiet/comfortable ride?
I definitely think it's quiet and comfortable. Everyone that's been in my car always says it's so quiet and smooth. The wife usually can't read in cars since it gives her a headache but says she doesn't have any problems reading while I drive now since it's so quiet and comfortable.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl
Hi

Is it a quiet ride?

Thanks for any input.

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forum.

I have a base trim 16 V6 PAWS which I procured new after my 14 Accord Sport was totaled. (In replacing the Sport, I also considered the Accord Touring and Q50 3.7)

Now approaching 22k, I can say with confidence that my TLX has been the best sedan that I’ve ever owned. Using it as my daily driver and having used it for two major road trips, I am as satisfied with its fuel economy as I am with its performance.

in terms of the transmission, it’s not the best performing one on the market but I’ve never had any issues with it either. (Those who’ve experienced transmission issues generally have the 2015 V6 model.... which probably lends itself to the old saying that one shouldn’t buy a car in its first year of production.)

Because the TLX is based on the 9th generation Accord, it tends to strike a respectable balance between ride and handling. (My TLX certainly does both better than my old Accord Sport.). In terms of how quiet it is, that can be subjective based on one’s noise threshold. As with my handling/ride reference, it’s definitely quieter than the Accord as well. As a matter of fact, it’s quietness is one of the features that compelled me to get the TLX.

Again, welcome to the board and good luck with your purchase decision.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey Steve, welcome to the forums. I have a 2.4 TLX. Its an excellent daily driver. Its comfortable, quiet, fuel efficient (keep in mind that it takes premium fuel), very smooth, and decently quick (for a 4 cyl). Just take one for a test drive and you will agree. Anyone on this forum that dislikes their TLX, is most likely driving an early built 2015 V6 model. And god forbid you live in Canada. The vibration issue you read about is caused from the rear sub frame on some 3.5 models. My advice would be to get the 2.4 model if you can live without having a V6. If you're dead set on a 3.5, then I would tell you to test drive the one you're buying. Not a demo, or a loaner...the car you're buying. On the test drive, get a feel for the 9 speed transmission. See how you like it. Also be sure to take it out on a smooth road between 60-80 mph. Those are the speed that the owners have said the vibration is most noticeable. Make sure to follow up with us after you have test drove one.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I suggest you test drive each car thoroughly and not just 10 minutes spins around the block. Look at the interior quality, materials, infotainment system, etc and pick the one you like the best. Forum suggestions won't help once you buy something you're not happy with yourself.

The TLX isn't a terrible car, it's just that we've come to expect more from Acura. I compromised on price and bought a new 2.4 TLX last year since the offer (27k out the door) seemed too good to pass over an used GS350. Overall, I'm not terribly satisfied with the car as there are a lot more hard plastics and cost cutting compared to my previous TLs. I already want something else, but for now it will do as a nice commuter car as I've racked up 30k miles in a year and a few months. I've had some initial quality issues that required replacing both headlights and fixing interior rattles. However, the 2.4 powertrain has been reliable so far. This is my first 4cyl car and its quite enjoyable to drive due the 8speed DCT (ignoring the horrible OEM tires).

Can't say much about the V6 model since I don't own one, but I noticed the transmission issues during my test drives and crossed it out completely. It felt like my 2nd gen TL when the transmission was going out. The fact that they extended the warranty and customers are still having issues with the 9speed in the TLX, MDX, Pilot, and Odyssey doesn't buy very much confidence. Then again there have been members with perfectly fine TLXs, so who knows.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl
Hi

Is it a quiet ride?

Thanks for any input.
Yes, I'm extremely happy with my 2015 2.4

No problems whatsoever. I'm going on 3 years in Feb2018 and have been to the dealer only twice (only put about 7000 mi per year on it) for oil changes, inspections and one software update. I have the 4 cylinder, however.

Yes, one of the reasons I bought it.

Yes, another of the reasons I bought it.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Keep in mind that TLX is a so called "near luxury" car, so don't compare it with the lot more expensive usual suspects of luxury cars. It's also not a "performance car" but a family sedan with consideration for performance. It's supposed to have Honda's reliability and low maintenance as well. And I think it does at least for the 2017/2018 models although it seems the same cannot be said about the 2015 model, when TLX was first rolled out. Again, test drive carefully and see if you like it, but if you do, never mind the negativity you sense here on this forum. It will be a solid purchase where you get a lot for what you spend and can enjoy driving for many years to come with low maintenance cost.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Lots of good input already. I would recommend you focus on the comments for the years after 2015. Every new model has some issues. I drive a 2016 2.4 Tech and love it. After driving a 2015 3.5 SH-AWD, I prefer the nimbleness of the 2.4 with PAWs. However, the 2018 SH-AWD ASpec is a fun car to drive if you prefer more "adventurous" driving and don't mind paying the extra Ks for the larger displacement and SH-AWD. Drive both as much as you need to and decide accordingly. Most of all, enjoy the car and avoid spending too much time on forums

I believe the vibration that people reference, in many cases, is from the variable cylinder management feature. If I really paid attention to it on my 2015 3.5, I could only feel it minimally around 40 mph. I would also suggest that for most of us disabling a auto-stop feature on the 3.5 is indeed a first world "concern". Frankly, it is a great feature, IMHO, for heavy traffic and drive throughs, and it is even smoother in the 2018s that I have test driven. If you opt for the 2.4, you don't have the issue.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Seems like we have quite a few happy 2.4L owners. Add me to the list as well. I got the V6 SHAWD as a loaner for a weekend and I can understand why opinions on the V6 models are mixed. The transmission feels so mushy and slow, whereas the DCT in the "lesser" car feels a lot more precise and dynamic. I had the choice of a 2.4 tech for $28.5k or a 3.5 FWD tech for $35.5K, and honestly if I had paid that much for the car I’d be pretty dissatisfied too.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Seems like we have quite a few happy 2.4L owners. Add me to the list as well. I got the V6 SHAWD as a loaner for a weekend and I can understand why opinions on the V6 models are mixed. The transmission feels so mushy and slow, whereas the DCT in the "lesser" car feels a lot more precise and dynamic. I had the choice of a 2.4 tech for $28.5k or a 3.5 FWD tech for $35.5K, and honestly if I had paid that much for the car I’d be pretty dissatisfied too.
Guess it depends on personal preference. I like the "boom boom" and powerful feel of a V6, more than the nimbleness of the 4 cyclinder. YMMV
Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
If I was not already coming from a 14 Accord Sport then I may have opted for the TLX 2.4 Tech instead of the 3.5 base. (Same price point at that time.). As it was, the extra power of the V6 won out for me....Transmission performance notwithstanding. (On that note and in my opinion, the 7AT in the Q50 3.7 — which I was also considering — performed about the same as the ZF, though it hides its shortcomings a little better due to the extra power generated by its 328hp VQ.)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy 2017 2.4 Base owner here. Quiet, rattle-free, excellent fuel economy, more than adequate power, great highway cruiser, nimble enough and great dual clutch transmission. And, with pricing at the time of my purchase, a killer value.

There are a few negatives. Acura's miserable phone integration (e.g. why will my 2015 Honda read text messages to me but my Acura won't?) and clumsy HVAC controls that require twice as many distracting actions as they should to do something simple like changing fan speed.

Perversely, in TLX-world it may be the higher the trim level the lower the owner satisfaction. Part of this are the known issues with the V6/9-speed automatic/AWD combination, part of it may be higher expectations for owners that pay a lot more. The real question is whether of not Acura has absolutely resolved the drivetrain issues on these higher-content models. I don't know the answer but if that's your buying direction I'd approach cautiously. Suggestions that you thoroughly test drive the actual car you're interested in are wise. You may also want to explain your concerns to the dealer and insist on a 30 day return policy. These things aren't exactly flying off the shelves, so you should have lots of negotiating room.
slimm1469 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I’m on my third TLX. Perhaps fortunately, none have had the vibration issues that some have mentioned. I had two 2015 V6 SH-AWD before the current 2018 V6 SH-AWD Elite. I particularly like the built-in remote starter, the walk-away auto lock, rear heated seats, and of course the SH-AWD.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
...I particularly like the built-in remote starter, the walk-away auto lock, rear heated seats, and of course the SH-AWD.
FYI - Since the OP is from Florida and SebringSilver is from Canada... Not all features are the same between the US and Canada. No built-in remote starter nor heated rear seats in the USA A-Spec. The USA Advanced TLX does have the heated rear seats. The remote starter is not standard on any USA TLX, IIRC (it may be a dealer installed option, though.)

And one more thing I forgot to mention... I would recommend to anyone who has a V6 Honda/Acura, invest in a Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) disabling device. I have a VCMuzzler from verbatim on both my 2016 Honda Odyssey and my 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec to make sure all 6 cylinders fire all of the time. I'd rather lose 1mpg in fuel economy versus the risk of engine damage from VCM. I believe VCM is the source of some of the vibrations and performance issues reported by some TLX owners. I know it made a huge difference on our van to disable it. My wife immediately asked me how I "fixed her brand new van" with ~400 miles on the odometer. If she noticed it, it had to make a big difference. I installed another VCMuzzler on my TLX the day I drove it off the lot and haven't had any issues. I did use a OBD2 scan tool to monitor the ECT1 temperature reading to help pick the correct resistor (orange in my case) to keep the temps below the magic 167 deg F. IF you have any questions about what I am talking about, start reading all about it here http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...vcm-faq-s.html .

Last edited by ogiewon; 11-29-2017 at 10:47 PM.
slimm1469 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ogiewon
FYI - Since the OP is from Florida and SebringSilver is from Canada... Not all features are the same between the US and Canada. No built-in remote starter nor heated rear seats in the USA A-Spec. The USA Advanced TLX does have the heated rear seats. The remote starter is not standard on any USA TLX, IIRC (it may be a dealer installed option, though.)

And one more thing I forgot to mention... I would recommend to anyone who has a V6 Honda/Acura, invest in a Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) disabling device. I have a VCMuzzler from verbatim on both my 2016 Honda Odyssey and my 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec to make sure all 6 cylinders fire all of the time. I'd rather lose 1mpg in fuel economy versus the risk of engine damage from VCM. I believe VCM is the source of some of the vibrations and performance issues reported by some TLX owners. I know it made a huge difference on our van to disable it. My wife immediately asked me how I "fixed her brand new van" with ~400 miles on the odometer. If she noticed it, it had to make a big difference. I installed another VCMuzzler on my TLX the day I drove it off the lot and haven't had any issues. I did use a OBD2 scan tool to monitor the ECT1 temperature reading to help pick the correct resistor (orange in my case) to keep the temps below the magic 167 deg F. IF you have any questions about what I am talking about, start reading all about it here VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's .
My USA 2015 TLX Advance has built-in remote start. It does not have heated rear seats.
ogiewon (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
2015 TLX Adv V6 - had since Sept 2014. 25xxx miles on the car. Overall, a great car, some minor issues, no real tranny problem. Was tempted to trade for a 2018 A-Spec, but trade-in value sucked, so got a 2017 RLX SH-AWD instead (traded my 2014 RLX Adv.). Test drive as others have suggested and make up your mind on what you feel in your heart - don't go on what others have said, although owner's resposnes are good baseline views.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow - You're hitting quite a range of vehicles. Test drive all and see which you like.

TLX - Perfectly fine entry level near luxury car. Great alternative to a base model/near base model A4, 3 Series, C Class for the average buyer (not driving enthusiasts) who are looking to stretch their dollar for more features in exchange for the Acura badge. Quality is noticeably lower than Lexus, but higher than Honda/Hyundai/Toyota

Genesis G80 - Competes with 5 Series, E Class, A6, GS350 - Again, great value car, not a flashy brand (yet) but they cram a lot into the car at a great price. On par quality wise (based on my test drive) to Lexus, not as good as some higher end BMW/Mercedes/Audi, but then again, the price difference would be $20k-$30k

ES350 - I hate getting an ES as a loaner car when I service my GS - very very floaty ride, but nice car. Quality isn't as great as GS, but better than TLX.

All these cars really go after very different markets. For quiet and comfortable, I'd say the ES350 is the top of your list (assuming you don't mind a floaty ride) and the Genesis is up there (if you want something different and better driving qualities)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
My 18 TLX A-Spec AWD has been great so far. Around 4k miles only, but no problems. Transmission works fine, no vibration as mentioned, Android auto works great. I like the dual screens. Would buy again. I have the Red interior and really like it, the seats are very comfortable.
I do actually own this car.
Have owned Lexus ES and Audi A4 (traded for TLX). I prefer the TLX A-Spec way better than the Lexus ES, the Audi A4 was a great car, the only issue I had with Audi was the value of my Audi A4 depreciated more than any other car I owned/traded including a new 2012 Corvette.
When the Audi gets close to warranty expiring, I believe they deprecate since they are costly to repair. My Audi dealer charged 130 for oil change.
I am not here to bash any other Brands, just giving my opinion. I trade my cars every couple of years, sometimes every year. I was deciding on the TLX A-spec and an Lexus IS-350 F sport. The dealership I went sold both Acura and lexus and several other brands, so I was able to compare IS and TLX side by side, I chose TLX.

Last edited by steig; 12-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by steig:
a35tl (12-02-2017), Christopher. (12-31-2017), jyrtl (12-02-2017), mapleloaf (12-03-2017), steve_97060 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
I would test drive each vehicle you mentioned, as someone else mentioned, ask them to let you take car home for a day.
That way you can make your own decision.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Classy looking car, inside and out. The red, although not my first choice, is growing on me.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by steig
...My Audi dealer charged 130 for oil change.
$24.95 oil changes for my 2018 TLX with Acura oil + filter from my dealer for as long as I own the car.

I, and most of my family members have owned VW (VAG, as is Audi) cars at one time or another and we've all consistantly experienced need for frequent and expensive repairs/maintenance issues and had various problems such as electronic part problems.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
$24.95 oil changes for my 2018 TLX with Acura oil + filter from my dealer for as long as I own the car.

I, and most of my family members have owned VW (VAG, as is Audi) cars at one time or another and we've all consistantly experienced need for frequent and expensive repairs/maintenance issues and had various problems such as electronic part problems.
Which year/model? I also owned past Acuras that were problem free. As for oil changes, an extra $100 per year is nothing when car is 50k+. Also not a problem when getting Audicare...
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Which year/model? I also owned past Acuras that were problem free. As for oil changes, an extra $100 per year is nothing when car is 50k+. Also not a problem when getting Audicare...
Which year model - do you mean the VWs? My dad had an early 2000's Passat. He usually keeps cars for at least 10 years (as he had with is Toyota Camry and Volvo station wagon before the Passat) be he was glad to get rid of the Passat after just a couple years. He's now has a Subaru Crosstrek for about a year and he's happy with that, good for getting home up his gravel road outside the city in the snowy winters. Actually, my step mom did have a diesel Rabbit that ran great for more than a decade without any major headaches.

You're right, $100 a year difference is no reason to choose one $40K - $60K car over another! But, it would irritate me to even be asked to pay $130 for an oil change - I would laugh out loud the first time they tried to tell me that price!

But, don't get me wrong - I really really would love to own an Audi S series or RS - it's just that when I can get the TLX for free (company car plan) there really is no competition at that point...
Old 12-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Which year model - do you mean the VWs? My dad had an early 2000's Passat. He usually keeps cars for at least 10 years (as he had with is Toyota Camry and Volvo station wagon before the Passat) be he was glad to get rid of the Passat after just a couple years. He's now has a Subaru Crosstrek for about a year and he's happy with that, good for getting home up his gravel road outside the city in the snowy winters. Actually, my step mom did have a diesel Rabbit that ran great for more than a decade without any major headaches.

You're right, $100 a year difference is no reason to choose one $40K - $60K car over another! But, it would irritate me to even be asked to pay $130 for an oil change - I would laugh out loud the first time they tried to tell me that price!

But, don't get me wrong - I really really would love to own an Audi S series or RS - it's just that when I can get the TLX for free (company car plan) there really is no competition at that point...
Go with your heart and first instinct, you'll love the car everyday. Not just for money, temporary joy. Regarding Subarus, I heard the maintenance costs are almost as high as some Germans. Not for the pieces though.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Pro

Of course we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but man, the 2018 TLX is a thing of beauty... That was also one of the first comments from friends that have seen mine, that it's a beautiful car. I bet I would have been extremely satisfied with a 2018 2.0T Accord EX-L (or Touring) but I'm not sure I'd have the same urge to rinse it off or wash it every time it looked a little dirty the way I do with my TLX

I'm wondering what the OP has found from test driving? What did you like?

Search this Thread