I love that the TLX is Bipolar

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I can lounge around town in complete comfort and isolation....

....head over to the highway, mash it, hit the on-ramp at double the posted speed and have the SHawd help me around without even breaking a sweat!

I love this about the TLX. I have read a lot of hating about the vehicle on this forum but I think many of us overlook that the TLX hits a nice balance between comfort and sport....which hit the mark for me. I have ridden in and owned more sporty vehicles that were loud and not that great to be in for long periods....but, I believe the TLX is faster and maybe even tighter around corners. Yes there are other vehicles that might be good at being bipolar - but not at this price point!

I just hit 600 miles on my odometer so am starting to explore it's limits.
The following 7 users liked this post by jules77:
5 Acuras (05-06-2016), 9SpeedTran (05-06-2016), a35tl (05-06-2016), acuranj18 (06-03-2016), Tony Pac (05-29-2016), Warrior 6 (05-28-2016), wlkeel (05-06-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
If you're exploring the limits a little, change the damn tires. I did (went with BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S) and it COMPLETELY changed the car for the better.
The following users liked this post:
jules77 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
That's probably one of the best parts of the car, the TLX is by far the most silent, smoothest, and tomb feeling vehicle Acura/Honda have in their stable, and feels so soothing on the road. But change the mode, or mash the throttle, and it's fun.

Doesn't feel brash and rough like the TL, and could definitely use bolstered seats as from the last TL (the current ones are plush but dead flat) but it's a very comfortable, refined car.
jules77 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
The TLX seems to be getting important here on AZ!!!

That being said, it sounds nice...

After the accident, we had a 2016 Camry SE, and I'll admit, it was really something cool-ish!!!

If the TLX is a more aggressive version of that, it sounds good...

Smooth, but not harsh, firm, but not rough...

Let's just hope they iron out all the bugs...

Best of luck!!!
jules77 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by youngTL
If you're exploring the limits a little, change the damn tires. I did (went with BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S) and it COMPLETELY changed the car for the better.
Thanks youngTL, I plan on upgrading the tires after getting over the cost of purchasing the vehicle! I can't wait to try the BF's. Do you think I can sell my current tires with 600 miles on them?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beach109
That's probably one of the best parts of the car, the TLX is by far the most silent, smoothest, and tomb feeling vehicle Acura/Honda have in their stable, and feels so soothing on the road. But change the mode, or mash the throttle, and it's fun.

Doesn't feel brash and rough like the TL, and could definitely use bolstered seats as from the last TL (the current ones are plush but dead flat) but it's a very comfortable, refined car.
I agree, my biggest complaint about the car is the seats. Funny because most of the reviews I read loved the seats. They must have bigger butts LOL! I find the lower cushion way too flat and the side bolsters are not large enough. My Mazda CX-9 has much more comfortable and sporty seats and it's an SUV! They need to look at the volvo seats IMO.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by jules77
I agree, my biggest complaint about the car is the seats. Funny because most of the reviews I read loved the seats. They must have bigger butts LOL! I find the lower cushion way too flat and the side bolsters are not large enough. My Mazda CX-9 has much more comfortable and sporty seats and it's an SUV! They need to look at the volvo seats IMO.
unfortunately we are all built different its really hard to make everyone happy with seats.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I agree, I told the dealership that I wouldnt even drive the car out the door with the OEM tires on it. I had the 19" wheels put on and put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on there, and I *love* them. Just today I had to hit the brakes hard in the rain and it was like they dug claws into the asphalt--with 30K miles on them.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks youngTL, I plan on upgrading the tires after getting over the cost of purchasing the vehicle! I can't wait to try the BF's. Do you think I can sell my current tires with 600 miles on them?
I sold mine (but they hadn't been driven on with the exception of the PDI) for around $380 CDN. They (the stock tires) are a cheap tire so don't expect to get a lot for them.

Everyone is built differently. I have a short, muscular build, and the seats are MUCH more comfortable for me than my 3rd gen TL-S seats were, and also in comparison to the Lexus IS350 F-Sport seats. The TLX was the most comfortable seats of any car I test drove in that price range (I didn't test drive everything though, I'm sure Volvo's are better). The bolsters hold me in just fine. They aren't nearly as flat as say, a Toyota Avalon or a Lexus ES350 (my dad has a 2015 ES350). I absolutely love the seats in the TLX, it's one of the high points of the car for me. On a 12.5 hour drive to Vancouver I only had to stop ONCE for 15 minutes and my back wasn't even sore.

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I agree, I told the dealership that I wouldnt even drive the car out the door with the OEM tires on it. I had the 19" wheels put on and put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on there, and I *love* them. Just today I had to hit the brakes hard in the rain and it was like they dug claws into the asphalt--with 30K miles on them.
This is what I told them too. Except I bought in December so they put Michelin X-ice xi3 tires on it. I stuck with the 18's though because Edmonton is full of pot holes and frost heaves, which the 19's would have felt worse on.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can lounge around town in complete comfort and isolation....

....head over to the highway, mash it, hit the on-ramp at double the posted speed and have the SHawd help me around without even breaking a sweat!

I love this about the TLX. I have read a lot of hating about the vehicle on this forum but I think many of us overlook that the TLX hits a nice balance between comfort and sport....which hit the mark for me. I have ridden in and owned more sporty vehicles that were loud and not that great to be in for long periods....but, I believe the TLX is faster and maybe even tighter around corners. Yes there are other vehicles that might be good at being bipolar - but not at this price point!

I just hit 600 miles on my odometer so am starting to explore it's limits.
I have the 3.5 PAWS...I love it too.Silent as a zeppelin until you fire wall it for on ramps...then you better hang on!I switched from the potenzas to Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires which reduced the scrabbling for traction of the potenzas.

Fantastic for long road trips and luxing about town...and ready to run amok as soon as you are.My absolute favorite car ever...I just love it!!! It reminds me of my old gm a-bodys(68 culass,69 lemans) It weighs similar and has more power,handling and fuel economy as well as comfort than I ever fantasized could be possible.I thought those old cars were fast...and they were fun.

Technology has come a long long way...and the TLX 3.5 satisfies every craving...but it is not perfect.

The speed limiter needs deleting....my tires are w rated...168. That should be enough.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Nice to hear even the sportier drivers of the forum sing the car's praises! I never had an issue with the tires on my 3.5 SH-AWD but wouldn't have pushed it to the limits you gents have. My Michelin X-Ice winter tires were fabulous on the 3.5 and I'm sure will be just as good for my new 2.4.

I find the seats very comfortable, but i can see where aggressive cornering might expose some side bolstering concerns.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Yup, the TLX is awesome and that's what I really like about it, it can be comfortable and quiet when I want it to be, but can still put a smile on my face when I put the pedal down, especially in Sport mode.

I wish we could change individual settings for the car. I would love the heavier steering of Sport mode in every day driving, but don't need the peppiness of the accelerator that's paired with it.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Finally, a positive TLX thread.

Change the suspension and I guarantee you'll love it even more. PAWS + a better handling suspension make for some fun corners/ curves; I bet SH-AWD would be even better.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

I'm looking forward to upgrading my tires...but I'm gonna wait until my stock ones wear down a bit....might buy a set of 19" wheels and put the continentals on there like others have recommended....gotta pay off the vehicle first!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a bipolar car years ago. There were plenty of days it just didn't feel like getting out of the garage.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I had a bipolar car years ago. There were plenty of days it just didn't feel like getting out of the garage.
Must be my last BMW, it just wouldn't start.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
Finally, a positive TLX thread.

Change the suspension and I guarantee you'll love it even more. PAWS + a better handling suspension make for some fun corners/ curves; I bet SH-AWD would be even better.
What suspension did u switch to?
Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
What suspension did u switch to?
I got H&R Sport Springs installed on my stock shocks.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Love you Avatar....That is a great TLX pic!
pnoi521 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
TLX is an awesome car for the price. I was with my buddy who owns a 2015 TLX SH-AWD tech package. We went for a ride and I was very impressed.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I'm looking forward to upgrading my tires...but I'm gonna wait until my stock ones wear down a bit....might buy a set of 19" wheels and put the continentals on there like others have recommended....gotta pay off the vehicle first!
That's what I did, Kept the stockers for winter/snow, and bought 19s with Michelin PSS tires. If you can swing summer only tires, I highly recommend them. This is my second car with these, and they absolutely transform the handling, and bump things up by a factor of 10 vs the Goodyear LS tires. (One of the worst rated tires on tire rack, and I still can't believe Acura handicapped the SH-AWD with these)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I find myself flooring it on the on and off ramps too. I scared my friend the other day at a red light when making a turn. I floored it at launch making a sudden right turn and its an instant surge of torque from the sh-awd system. He's a Honda guy but has only driven fwd Hondas so he wasn't used to the awd system.(I think he fell in love)

In any case, yes these stock eagle ls2 tires suck. Going into turns and flooring it is fun. But when you push it to its limit(easy to do) on a turn and suddenly let off the gas, the sudden weight shift unsettles the car and can quite easily become a scary experience as the car tries to rebalance the weight with these crappy tires through the turn. First time I did it I thought I was going to smack into the guard rail. It was like the first few seconds of the turn was bliss with the sh-awd then once the weight of the car went off balance you go into oh sh*t mode.

I won't be pushing this car anymore until I get better tires.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I find myself flooring it on the on and off ramps too. I scared my friend the other day at a red light when making a turn. I floored it at launch making a sudden right turn and its an instant surge of torque from the sh-awd system. He's a Honda guy but has only driven fwd Hondas so he wasn't used to the awd system.(I think he fell in love)

In any case, yes these stock eagle ls2 tires suck. Going into turns and flooring it is fun. But when you push it to its limit(easy to do) on a turn and suddenly let off the gas, the sudden weight shift unsettles the car and can quite easily become a scary experience as the car tries to rebalance the weight with these crappy tires through the turn. First time I did it I thought I was going to smack into the guard rail. It was like the first few seconds of the turn was bliss with the sh-awd then once the weight of the car went off balance you go into oh sh*t mode.

I won't be pushing this car anymore until I get better tires.
Are you I4 or V6, I miss my N/A I4, I could floor it anywhere, turbo RDX is too fast for that...

I've never really used the SH-AWD much....

I've noticed throttling in a turn makes the vehicle feel more stable, even in just FWD vehicles...
Old 06-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Are you I4 or V6, I miss my N/A I4, I could floor it anywhere, turbo RDX is too fast for that...

I've never really used the SH-AWD much....

I've noticed throttling in a turn makes the vehicle feel more stable, even in just FWD vehicles...
I'm V6 SH-AWD
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'm V6 SH-AWD
Ok, so you're gone in two seconds if you mash it hard...